Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: Revisiting Things Past - 01/09

Comments

• Uhhh, just last weekend was a hybrid, and the phase 2 equipment builds were more costly than the average galaxy event, and the event crew were giving 50% SR chance. On top of that, the rewarded legendary was a top tier Sisko with an uncommon voyage skill combo at the elite crew level.

I assure you, some of us spent some chrons last weekend even though it was only phase 2. Not to mention levelling all the new crew we got from christmas deals, I doubt I'm the only one who has less chrons than I did in mid december.
  • After much pondering (and pulling 3 event pulls and nabbing 2 Odos to immortalize him and a Dejaren to immortalize him) I've decided that I'm going to try and get top 1500 as Forrest was from Enterprise (and I'm a big fan of ENT) and plus he may be useful for me even though I have Borg Queen ff\fe and a 2nd copy 1\5 Fe.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be the discussions about the value of Forrest, but this event seems to be much less competitive than usual. I have used half the boosts I normally use and am still top 300 half way through. Usually I've dropped to top 800 at this point.
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Max is better than the Borg Queen in the CMD-DIP-ENG business for voyages. He's very solid (44th overall in the voyage ranking). However, most players already have the Borg Queen immortalized (she was a mega event recurring featured card, so a free 4/5 basically). Max is very similar to her, so that might hold players back to get almost a duplicate of her skills.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be the discussions about the value of Forrest, but this event seems to be much less competitive than usual. I have used half the boosts I normally use and am still top 300 half way through. Usually I've dropped to top 800 at this point.

I've noticed that, too, and I'm totally phoning it in this time. I haven't used any time reducer boosts since the kick start. No 2x multipliers or shuttle requisition tokens, either. Hell, I went ahead and pulled High Roller Sisko for my current Voyage. Even at that, I'm presently #1162.
  • IvlainIvlain ✭✭✭✭
    I'm hovering around 20 for the first time in history.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I'm in the top 5000 and I'm not even trying hard. Just aiming for the uniform at 150,000 points.

Have dropped a little now. I did two Event Packs and got final 🌟 for Dejaren and second 🌟 for The Tribble With Odo. Might try to slide high enough to get two 🌟 s for The Tribble With Odo from Ranked.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    (and I'm a big fan of ENT)
    When the rest of the forum turns on you, I'll be standing besides you! :smiley:

I'm going after him as well as he's an awesome character, and I actually have few CMD primary legendaries of any worth. I wasn't originally planning on it, as I severely depleted my faction resrouces going after Sisko. But I figured I had enough, and it's Forrest.

We've had a Combs event, here's hoping for an Armstrong event in the future! He has some great characters for SST too. Holo-Outpost Alpha Hirogen gives us a character in the smallest faction, and Korath is one of a handful of klingon SCI primaries (or maybe ENG?).
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hasedoki wrote: »

I'm going after him as well as he's an awesome character, and I actually have few CMD primary legendaries of any worth. I wasn't originally planning on it, as I severely depleted my faction resrouces going after Sisko. But I figured I had enough, and it's Forrest.

We've had a Combs event, here's hoping for an Armstrong event in the future! He has some great characters for SST too. Holo-Outpost Alpha Hirogen gives us a character in the smallest faction, and Korath is one of a handful of klingon SCI primaries (or maybe ENG?).

We have a criminally low number of Armstrong characters...more would be appreciated! For now, I’m happy that I don’t have to go completely nuts in order to collect a character I really like even if he won’t add much else to my crew.
  • Hasedoki wrote: »

Well I didn't say I'm a fan of disco for a reason :wink: in all honesty though most of the legit 'fixtures players' (players that are here for the long haul) also like Disco and those that don't aren't rude about it.... But it would've helped if CBS had maybe not made the first 2 episodes free which were not very good.... I actually decided not the series after I watched them... But later decided to give it a second chance and was glad I did.
  • eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so if so many of us longtimers have crossed the event horizon of not having many people left to level anymore, and are just accumulating tens or hundreds of thousands of chrons...

...who or what would it take to get you to blow through them?

will it be if/when we get a picard mega in february after the show starts? :)
    so if so many of us longtimers have crossed the event horizon of not having many people left to level anymore, and are just accumulating tens or hundreds of thousands of chrons...

A fair question. The most I've spent in over a year is 10K chronitons. And that was to extremely overload my basic inventory. It had the effect of making the next galaxy event excessively cheap. The issue is that without being careful at all, I can get top 1500 without significantly touching my potential chroniton use. In theory, I could go for top 25, but that requires such time that I don't wish to spend. In short, even if I had a billion chronitons, I would never get top 25. Therefore, I have no need to blow through them.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've hit the point where my pre-farming inventory is high enough that I can rank top 1k without spending a single extra chron.

As DavideBooks said, I could probably rank top 25 or 15, but I have no desire to take the time required for it. So my inventory just rises.

And the result is even in hybrid events I don't need shuttle boosts because I can make it all back in the Galaxy half. So I have more speed boosts than I need too.
  • so if so many of us longtimers have crossed the event horizon of not having many people left to level anymore, and are just accumulating tens or hundreds of thousands of chrons...

A fair question. The most I've spent in over a year is 10K chronitons. And that was to extremely overload my basic inventory. It had the effect of making the next galaxy event excessively cheap. The issue is that without being careful at all, I can get top 1500 without significantly touching my potential chroniton use. In theory, I could go for top 25, but that requires such time that I don't wish to spend. In short, even if I had a billion chronitons, I would never get top 25. Therefore, I have no need to blow through them.

Exactly my situation.

I currently have 120k chrons. Wasn’t trying to,save. It just happened. Can prob get a top 25 or even top 10 finish with that. But I can’t be bothered. Will just take way too much time and tapping.
    Is it just me, or are Cardassian shuttles absurdly stingy with Databases? I figured I'd concentrate on those missions during the event and try to snag some of those. My inventory numbers are around where they were when I started the event, but I've added most of the 1*'s by farming for my dailies. In my latest wave to return, all four were successful but only a

I'm looking forward to Picard content, but I think it's unlikely to appreciably affect my resource management. Competition in Disco-based events has been consistently stronger than other events, which I think speaks to the appeal for a lot of the player base of content related to something current. Based on that, and the preexisting goodwill most of us have for Picard and other legacy characters, I do anticipate competition in those events will be the stiffest yet. But, as @DavideBooks noted, there comes a point where it's not about whether you have the in-game resources to go deep, but whether you simply have enough time, energy, and interest. I'm not that competitive-minded, so I'll usually give out before my chronitons do.

At the current rate of acquiring one to three a week, I can easily absorb newcomers and be back to where I started by the end of the day so unless I got a ridiculous deluge of new crew all at once, that won't do it, either. The only thing that would draw me in for sure would be new missions. That would be a one-time thing, though, because there'd be no reason to replay any of them unless they became my new go-to for farming something.
  • It may be the discussions about the value of Forrest, but this event seems to be much less competitive than usual. I have used half the boosts I normally use and am still top 300 half way through. Usually I've dropped to top 800 at this point.

Interesting observation. I thought this one was average-to-slightly-above normal competitiveness. I'm doing a couple hundred lower than last couple Factions where I had the 5-star (1800s now, won't get Forrest).

Maybe it's just that I've had worse luck than average, with more shuttle failures than normal. Or maybe there's a gap between the barely-enough (1500) and the higher-end?
    Probably a gap. People often clump up near 1500. I hit faction events very hard the first two days and then coast on time the end. That push usually is enough to get me out of the clump.
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    I notice two behaviors. The 1500 clump and the threshold falloff. Both create gaps.

I knew I was going to be away from the internets for most of Saturday, but even on my uptime, I was still phoning it in, as Travis and others mentioned. I was able to staff five shuttles, but really only sent four except for overnight when I pushed five or six.
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • It may be the discussions about the value of Forrest, but this event seems to be much less competitive than usual. I have used half the boosts I normally use and am still top 300 half way through. Usually I've dropped to top 800 at this point.

Interesting observation. I thought this one was average-to-slightly-above normal competitiveness. I'm doing a couple hundred lower than last couple Factions where I had the 5-star (1800s now, won't get Forrest).

Maybe it's just that I've had worse luck than average, with more shuttle failures than normal. Or maybe there's a gap between the barely-enough (1500) and the higher-end?

Agreed on both counts. The event seemed easy breezy until 3 hours before end. Then the LB was all over the place. Ppl were loosing 500 rank points in 10 min. And not the “around 1500” mark. I watched several of my fleetmates fall from 500-1700 in the last hour.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed on both counts. The event seemed easy breezy until 3 hours before end. Then the LB was all over the place. Ppl were loosing 500 rank points in 10 min. And not the “around 1500” mark. I watched several of my fleetmates fall from 500-1700 in the last hour.

I'm surprised to hear that. I was in the middle of that range and held my rank with very little movement. I had my normal 4 shuttles come back in the last hour. Nothing beyond that.

Unless there were 1200 people all grouped within 12k of each other, I don't see how people lost that much rank at the end.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranked 139 in this event. My highest ever finish for a full faction event. Very pleased with that result. Special shout-out to my squad, which used my shared crew a bunch and added nearly 80k points to my score by so doing.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends

Do you mean they fell from rank 500 to 1,700 within the final hour? If so, than ur observation was not correct. A fleet mate was rank 800 with 1h left and he ended up rank 1,100. So no way a ranked 500 player with 1h to go, ended up outside of 1,500.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I held onto top 5,000 and got a third 🌟 for The Tribble With Odo. And, he is on my Dabo today. Maybe an Ad Warp will finish him.........
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • IvlainIvlain ✭✭✭✭
    I finished 35th, my highest finish. I dropped from 23 to 35 this morning from the last second push. I was also out of boosts and spare shuttles.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you mean they fell from rank 500 to 1,700 within the final hour? If so, than ur observation was not correct. A fleet mate was rank 800 with 1h left and he ended up rank 1,100. So no way a ranked 500 player with 1h to go, ended up outside of 1,500.

I was going to say the same thing but I collected my last four shuttles within the last 30 minutes, slipping from 983 to 1064 in roughly that time due to one of the four failing. If people were bunched up real tight, it’s not completely unexpected to have a large drop (maybe not 1200 ranks, but a couple hundred for sure).
    I bailed after clearing thresholds around 6:00 Sunday evening. Ordinarily in a Faction event, that happens early Saturday and sometimes late Friday. I still managed to end at #2249. My reflexive reading is that if I'd participated as I normally do when I'm competing, this would have been among my higher Faction rankings. That, in turn, suggests to me this was a lighter event.
  • ProontProont ✭✭✭✭✭
    35jhy799yk3c.jpg
    This event seemed pretty chill. I coasted by by only sending 4 shuttles with 3* time reducers while awake and four 9 hour shuttles overnight. I sent one wave with 4* time reducers, and one wave with 5* star time reducers to get VP back after some failed shuttles.
  • AviTrek wrote: »

I'm surprised to hear that. I was in the middle of that range and held my rank with very little movement. I had my normal 4 shuttles come back in the last hour. Nothing beyond that.

Unless there were 1200 people all grouped within 12k of each other, I don't see how people lost that much rank at the end.

Actually i thought the hole thing was quite odd. Thats why i mentioned it. I, myself came in 3.5 hrs prior to end at around Rank 500. I had 5 double overnights. Brought me to around 300. Then i sent 4 with 1.5 reducer. Within that time i was 1095. When they returned i sent 4 more with 1 hr reducer, now at Rank 800, sent 4 more with 30 min reducer at ended at 750. All successful.
    And yes it was possible. Within the last 3.5 hrs i had all successful Gains of 5 doubles, 12 normals. Thats a gain of 88,000VP, and still dropped 250 places in rank within 3.5 hrs. So my mates not online to send more out did loose that many places.
    It seems very unlikely. But other ppl r mentioning weird behavior at the end of the event and i think that constitutes as off the wall weird. Idk what was happening. Everyone in my fleet was commenting on the odd rank changes.
    AviTrek wrote: »

Actually i thought the hole thing was quite odd. Thats why i mentioned it. I, myself came in 3.5 hrs prior to end at around Rank 500. I had 5 double overnights. Brought me to around 300. Then i sent 4 with 1.5 reducer. Within that time i was 1095. When they returned i sent 4 more with 1 hr reducer, now at Rank 800, sent 4 more with 30 min reducer at ended at 750. All successful.
    And yes it was possible. Within the last 3.5 hrs i had all successful Gains of 5 doubles, 12 normals. Thats a gain of 88,000VP, and still dropped 250 places in rank within 3.5 hrs. So my mates not online to send more out did loose that many places.
    It seems very unlikely. But other ppl r mentioning weird behavior at the end of the event and i think that constitutes as off the wall weird. Idk what was happening. Everyone in my fleet was commenting on the odd rank changes.

Sounds like maybe a sizable segment of the player base has started trying to squeeze in 11th hour bursts, as is common in other event formats. My guess is they start off strong enough to get comfortably in the upper ranks, then throttle back on using tokens and boosts throughout the weekend, and use a lot of them in the last couple of hours to surge ahead. I've considered that tactic, but life with Crohn's has taught me not to believe I'll be able to do something later.

The question becomes whether noticeable turbulence was caused by a growing number of players doing that, or if it was more because so many of our usually competitive players took it easy. We'll know after the next Faction event with an enticing 5* rank reward.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

Sounds like maybe a sizable segment of the player base has started trying to squeeze in 11th hour bursts, as is common in other event formats. My guess is they start off strong enough to get comfortably in the upper ranks, then throttle back on using tokens and boosts throughout the weekend, and use a lot of them in the last couple of hours to surge ahead. I've considered that tactic, but life with Crohn's has taught me not to believe I'll be able to do something later.

The question becomes whether noticeable turbulence was caused by a growing number of players doing that, or if it was more because so many of our usually competitive players took it easy. We'll know after the next Faction event with an enticing 5* rank reward.

What doesn't make sense are some people talking about crazy tight competition, and others(myself included) saying we had a single normal round of shuttles come in we held rank, and saw no crazy movement. It's not possible for some players to see that much movement while others at the same rank seeing minimal movement.