Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: Revisiting Things Past - 01/09

123457»

Comments

• Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    It may be the discussions about the value of Forrest, but this event seems to be much less competitive than usual. I have used half the boosts I normally use and am still top 300 half way through. Usually I've dropped to top 800 at this point.

Interesting observation. I thought this one was average-to-slightly-above normal competitiveness. I'm doing a couple hundred lower than last couple Factions where I had the 5-star (1800s now, won't get Forrest).

Maybe it's just that I've had worse luck than average, with more shuttle failures than normal. Or maybe there's a gap between the barely-enough (1500) and the higher-end?

Agreed on both counts. The event seemed easy breezy until 3 hours before end. Then the LB was all over the place. Ppl were loosing 500 rank points in 10 min. And not the “around 1500” mark. I watched several of my fleetmates fall from 500-1700 in the last hour.

I'm surprised to hear that. I was in the middle of that range and held my rank with very little movement. I had my normal 4 shuttles come back in the last hour. Nothing beyond that.

Unless there were 1200 people all grouped within 12k of each other, I don't see how people lost that much rank at the end.
    It may be the discussions about the value of Forrest, but this event seems to be much less competitive than usual. I have used half the boosts I normally use and am still top 300 half way through. Usually I've dropped to top 800 at this point.

Interesting observation. I thought this one was average-to-slightly-above normal competitiveness. I'm doing a couple hundred lower than last couple Factions where I had the 5-star (1800s now, won't get Forrest).

Maybe it's just that I've had worse luck than average, with more shuttle failures than normal. Or maybe there's a gap between the barely-enough (1500) and the higher-end?

Agreed on both counts. The event seemed easy breezy until 3 hours before end. Then the LB was all over the place. Ppl were loosing 500 rank points in 10 min. And not the “around 1500” mark. I watched several of my fleetmates fall from 500-1700 in the last hour.

Do you mean they fell from rank 500 to 1,700 within the final hour? If so, than ur observation was not correct. A fleet mate was rank 800 with 1h left and he ended up rank 1,100. So no way a ranked 500 player with 1h to go, ended up outside of 1,500.

Actually i thought the hole thing was quite odd. Thats why i mentioned it. I, myself came in 3.5 hrs prior to end at around Rank 500. I had 5 double overnights. Brought me to around 300. Then i sent 4 with 1.5 reducer. Within that time i was 1095. When they returned i sent 4 more with 1 hr reducer, now at Rank 800, sent 4 more with 30 min reducer at ended at 750. All successful.
    And yes it was possible. Within the last 3.5 hrs i had all successful Gains of 5 doubles, 12 normals. Thats a gain of 88,000VP, and still dropped 250 places in rank within 3.5 hrs. So my mates not online to send more out did loose that many places.
    It seems very unlikely. But other ppl r mentioning weird behavior at the end of the event and i think that constitutes as off the wall weird. Idk what was happening. Everyone in my fleet was commenting on the odd rank changes.

Sounds like maybe a sizable segment of the player base has started trying to squeeze in 11th hour bursts, as is common in other event formats. My guess is they start off strong enough to get comfortably in the upper ranks, then throttle back on using tokens and boosts throughout the weekend, and use a lot of them in the last couple of hours to surge ahead. I've considered that tactic, but life with Crohn's has taught me not to believe I'll be able to do something later.

The question becomes whether noticeable turbulence was caused by a growing number of players doing that, or if it was more because so many of our usually competitive players took it easy. We'll know after the next Faction event with an enticing 5* rank reward.

What doesn't make sense are some people talking about crazy tight competition, and others(myself included) saying we had a single normal round of shuttles come in we held rank, and saw no crazy movement. It's not possible for some players to see that much movement while others at the same rank seeing minimal movement.

We'd have to have data we just don't have in order to ascertain anything meaningful, but I can see how it's possible.

Cluster 1 (competitive regulars)
    Cluster 2 (competitive regulars taking it easy)
    Cluster 3 (competitive upstarts)

Cluster 2 backs off after hitting thresholds. (Anecdotally, I was around #1200 when I stopped around 6PM-ish Sunday evening.) Cluster 3 keeps at it and gets a surge there at the end.

That's an overly simplified schema, mind you. Much of the volatility seems to have taken place within Cluster 2 rather than to it, but the mechanics are mostly the same.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised to hear that. I was in the middle of that range and held my rank with very little movement. I had my normal 4 shuttles come back in the last hour. Nothing beyond that.

Unless there were 1200 people all grouped within 12k of each other, I don't see how people lost that much rank at the end.

Do you mean they fell from rank 500 to 1,700 within the final hour? If so, than ur observation was not correct. A fleet mate was rank 800 with 1h left and he ended up rank 1,100. So no way a ranked 500 player with 1h to go, ended up outside of 1,500.

Actually i thought the hole thing was quite odd. Thats why i mentioned it. I, myself came in 3.5 hrs prior to end at around Rank 500. I had 5 double overnights. Brought me to around 300. Then i sent 4 with 1.5 reducer. Within that time i was 1095. When they returned i sent 4 more with 1 hr reducer, now at Rank 800, sent 4 more with 30 min reducer at ended at 750. All successful.
    And yes it was possible. Within the last 3.5 hrs i had all successful Gains of 5 doubles, 12 normals. Thats a gain of 88,000VP, and still dropped 250 places in rank within 3.5 hrs. So my mates not online to send more out did loose that many places.
    It seems very unlikely. But other ppl r mentioning weird behavior at the end of the event and i think that constitutes as off the wall weird. Idk what was happening. Everyone in my fleet was commenting on the odd rank changes.

Sounds like maybe a sizable segment of the player base has started trying to squeeze in 11th hour bursts, as is common in other event formats. My guess is they start off strong enough to get comfortably in the upper ranks, then throttle back on using tokens and boosts throughout the weekend, and use a lot of them in the last couple of hours to surge ahead. I've considered that tactic, but life with Crohn's has taught me not to believe I'll be able to do something later.

The question becomes whether noticeable turbulence was caused by a growing number of players doing that, or if it was more because so many of our usually competitive players took it easy. We'll know after the next Faction event with an enticing 5* rank reward.

What doesn't make sense are some people talking about crazy tight competition, and others(myself included) saying we had a single normal round of shuttles come in we held rank, and saw no crazy movement. It's not possible for some players to see that much movement while others at the same rank seeing minimal movement.

We'd have to have data we just don't have in order to ascertain anything meaningful, but I can see how it's possible.

Cluster 1 (competitive regulars)
    Cluster 2 (competitive regulars taking it easy)
    Cluster 3 (competitive upstarts)

Cluster 2 backs off after hitting thresholds. (Anecdotally, I was around #1200 when I stopped around 6PM-ish Sunday evening.) Cluster 3 keeps at it and gets a surge there at the end.

That's an overly simplified schema, mind you. Much of the volatility seems to have taken place within Cluster 2 rather than to it, but the mechanics are mostly the same.

Well it was a cluster around 500-1k rank. How people got there is irrelevant. You can't have one person at 500 and drop to 1000 while a second person at 600 stay at 600, all with roughly the same effort at the end.