Home The Bridge

Cataclysm! Feedback thread

Comments

• Holy cow, well its certainly cataclysmic in the eye watering amounts of intel needed to play/test this for you. Yes I realise we can get diliithium, but the amounts/ratio seem pretty steep.
    The Maryland Fleet need YOU, come and join us!
    We are rushing headlong into the abyss...................but we will have a blast whilst doing it,
  • Banjo1012 wrote: »
    This is pretty cool if you ask me. Switching crew for bonus spices things up. The intel cost is high but if you clear thresholds you get very close to as much dilithium as they have for $100 in the dilithium store! People saying the chron cost is too high, the intel cost is too high but the rewards make it so worth it. Tough ranked rewards though. But threshold rewards? How could you complain about what is needed to reach them?

Im glad some people like it. I think the complaint is that you cant get much of the rewards unless you drop money or have extra chrons. I would likely enjoy this and agree if i had 9k chrons (or however much it works out to) i wanted to spend on this.

My thought is that this event may be better targeted at experienced players with chrons to burn, but the way i use dilithium, i feel like there are better things to use my chrons on.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious. How are the VIP0 folks liking this? A chance to score some dilithium. After all the sales, I like to see the devs throwing our VIP0 friends a bone to even the playing field in some small way.

Some initial feedback:

1) Interesting twist on skirmish economy.

2) I wonder if I can find 4 crew that get a bonus each round so I don't have to switch.

3) Interesting twist on skirmish mechanics.
    A) More battles per round
    B) Swapping out crew - might like this if I succeed on #2.

Hope to dig deeper into this and see if any of the initial sentiments change.
    Farewell 🖖
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have this strange bug on the Windows App. g2fksu27cdc6.png
    I cannot pick any ships on any level. Haven't tried it on the other apps though, but maybe there is something wrong with the app.

Some players on windows 10 have this issue, I used windows 10 without any problem, so have other players. So it will be tricky to pinpoint. Any additional details you might have would be useful.

Like any other app running, what kind of antivirus, etc etc.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stompy wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    This is pretty cool if you ask me. Switching crew for bonus spices things up. The intel cost is high but if you clear thresholds you get very close to as much dilithium as they have for $100 in the dilithium store! People saying the chron cost is too high, the intel cost is too high but the rewards make it so worth it. Tough ranked rewards though. But threshold rewards? How could you complain about what is needed to reach them?

Im glad some people like it. I think the complaint is that you cant get much of the rewards unless you drop money or have extra chrons. I would likely enjoy this and agree if i had 9k chrons (or however much it works out to) i wanted to spend on this.

My thought is that this event may be better targeted at experienced players with chrons to burn, but the way i use dilithium, i feel like there are better things to use my chrons on.

I believe someone mentioned the chron cost to clear thresholds was 12000. I’m pretty sure most people have that laying around. I’ve been leveling crew like a madman for over a month every day and had 30k in my stash

• RoxtonRoxton ✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to this new content and challenge.
    But.
    5000 Intel is a joke. As around 27 runs are required for threshold at 5000 Intel a go its just well out of range for most players.
    It seems to me another pay to play or win.
    Although the rewards are good it seems it's just a drain on resources for up minimum spenders.
    Star Truckerz
    It's only my opinion but....

• Cataclysm is designed for those users that have chrons and need dilithium, and are willing to trade off for it. I am running Epic level, Borg Cube, and I am averaging 11K points per run. One run costs 5000 intel, which, with a supply kit, equates to spending about 375 chrons (or a little more, with rounding) on ship warps. Based on that, and looking at the reward levels and payouts, my overall average is about a 4:3 ratio - for every 4 chron spent, I get 3 dilithium. To get to the end, I would need to run about 26 cycles, spend about 10K chrons, and get back about 7,600 dilithium. Now, that's okay if you have chron to burn, but if I do that, I could be short changed for the next event.

At about 85K points, the ratios stay fairly average, so its not like the more you invest, the better the return. For those who don't play at the Epic level, these ratios get linearly worse. I might drop about 3.5K chrons or so to get to the 105K mark - that would give me back over 2K dilithium, which is 3 10-pack event portal pulls I can use (if needed) at the end of the week.

And for the love of all that is Vulcan, do NOT buy the"500 chrons for 500 dilithium" deal - that's a sucker bet! As I said, I'm getting about a .75 return on chron to dilithium; others will be doing worse. So you'd buy 500 chron for 500 dilithium, play, and then get back maybe 360 dilithium! Not worth it.

The cost per cycle is too high. The regular skirmish is 1200 intel per a 5-combat cycle. This is a 10-combat cycle, so maybe 2500 intel per cycle would be appropriate.

Also, it is not clear what ships have what bonuses, and as for the crew, as many had mentioned, you can't sort to show bonus-enabled crew at the top / first screen.

Finally, other than stockpiling dilithium and honor (not bad, by the way) if you don't want to feature a bonus crew, how about either 4* or 5* commendations or 4* / 5* beholds for the top 1500 users?

Overall, I'd give this event a C+ : decent dilithium farming if you have the chrons (and the time). Good for those F2P players, where dilithium is a hard currency to get - but they best have saved up some chrons for a rainy day. As for the rest of us, it could use some work. Just my thoughts, though...

I believe someone mentioned the chron cost to clear thresholds was 12000. I’m pretty sure most people have that laying around. I’ve been leveling crew like a madman for over a month every day and had 30k in my stash

Ill disagree that most people have that much lying around, but agree that some people do. When i was vip0, getting past 2k was a feat. Now that im not, i have more chrons, but i cant remember ever getting to 30k. My fleet mate (there are just two of us) who is basically f2p usually has about 2k max.

For me, trading chrons for dil seems bad when i might want to make a run at a galaxy event. I only spend dil on packs or crew slots (now that i have 4 shuttles). Im also slightly turned off because im trading chrons to require me to grind more in an event.

I do like skirmishes, and i like the idea, but im guessing ill only do 4 or 5 battles, since thats all the intel i will get.

To be fair, i might be more interested if i hadnt just filled up my dil store with that leap year deal. 8k more dil is worth less to me right now.

And i agree with you 100% that if i had more chrons and some free time, id at least hit the thresholds. Cause i absolutely agree it would be a screaming deal at that point.
  • ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to be constructive, but it isn't easy.

This event is just more of the same. It can only be played by spenders or people who played so long they can have a crew that puts them in a position to have to little to build on a daily and weekly basis that they have massive hordes of chrons.

I appreciate the effort. I appreciate the dilithium.

My suggestion is to stop trying to make content focused on one small section of unfortunately very vocal players.

If the goal is to make something so the people who complain about taking to much time, then make the event more dynamic. Allow the player to choose how many ships to take on and scale the rewards. Of they want to rush or have less time for the game, they can set the skirmish to 10, make 3 runs and out. If they have the time and actually like playing the game, they can set it to 5. If they set it for fast mode the rewards are weighted toward honor and VP. If they set is to slower modes the rewards are weighted toward chrons, and 2-4* component drops.

I actually like skirmishes. And I like time wasters. I don't need an event that eats my idle horde of chrons and converts it to honor. I have crew to build and I need a way to get more chrons.
  • I live in the UK and the event ended at 5PM GMT. As most folk work 9am to 5pm i was unable to play.....seems grossly unfair and bias against non USA based players as we are mostly unable to participate due to work. Can these mini events not be extended by a few hours please so that everyone can play!!!
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phil Wilce wrote: »
    I live in the UK and the event ended at 5PM GMT. As most folk work 9am to 5pm i was unable to play.....seems grossly unfair and bias against non USA based players as we are mostly unable to participate due to work. Can these mini events not be extended by a few hours please so that everyone can play!!!

The event runs for 2 days.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • KadavarKadavar ✭✭✭
    I like the new game as a filler to pass the time on the bus. If you go all out like a weekend event it may fry you over the week, but for a bit of midweek fun it works for me.
    I just need to stop my fingers going into skirmish repeat so i can check and change the crew after each round!
    This game has also made me have a look at other crew abilites instead of my skirmish regulars.
    Im curious if they will have a different style of mini event each week.
  • AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also live in the UK. Not having a problem.

I think the 5K intel cost is fine, given the fact how much dilithium I'm getting.

I think the crew swapping is fine (although, I found a config which means I have found crew that hits a trait match each time so I don't need to swap out. It just took a couple of runs to find it.)

It is supposed to be a challenge. If it were meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a game.

As VIP0, I'm quite happy to play until I hit threshold.

+1 from me
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • In my opinion it's not worth chroniton waste versus a little extra honor on the final position. It's information for you @Shan. For the rest, crew selection is easy, and can be done fast if you do it wisely. Threshold prizes are not exactly to let them go.
  • Phil Wilce wrote: »
    I live in the UK and the event ended at 5PM GMT. As most folk work 9am to 5pm i was unable to play.....seems grossly unfair and bias against non USA based players as we are mostly unable to participate due to work. Can these mini events not be extended by a few hours please so that everyone can play!!!

The event finished at 5pm for today as far as i'm aware..... its still unfair if you are UK based. If the event is still running right now then i apologize as its not showing on my screen
  • RoxtonRoxton ✭✭✭

The event finished at 5pm for today as far as i'm aware..... its still unfair if you are UK based. If the event is still running right now then i apologize as its not showing on my screen

@philsf we are talking about the mini event. Not the weekly main events
    Star Truckerz
    It's only my opinion but....

• ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭

I suspended most building and focused on going into the event with as many resources as I could to push Troi to FF/FE asap. I still came out of the event with under 2k.

This is the problem with debates. All the high levels and spenders seem to have no idea or don't remember having to micro manage chrons.

I don't hit 8 hour voyages reliably, at best I can be assured of 7 to 7.5. I might gain 500-700 a day. If I hold back building I might go into an event with 2500-3500 depending how much I cut. But cutting back on building to get the new crew, means my crew aren't rotating into the fridge to make room.

I believe that the majority of players to disagree with that assumption.
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Looking at this even from the perspective of my early days of playing, I am torn.

On the negative side, I never had a big stash of chrons laying around, and my priority was levelling and freezing 1-4* crew. A drain of approximately 9,000 chrons between events would have been a huge pain, especially playing an event that I have such a love (honor) / hate (grinding) relationship with.

On the plus side, the sheer amount of dilithium available would have made me overlook the negatives, provided I could scrounge together enough chrons to allow me to clear thresholds!
  • @philsf we are talking about the mini event. Not the weekly main events

Yep its the mini events that im referring to...
  • Castell-NeathCastell-Neath ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Image removed. ~Shan

That's my view on this event with a 5k ticket price.

Drop it to half...change rewards away from dilithium.

maybe tier it like the campaigns so tier 1 and and 2 drop trainers / portal pulls etc as opposed to dilithium for half the cost
  • Shan wrote: »
    I have this strange bug on the Windows App. g2fksu27cdc6.png
    I cannot pick any ships on any level. Haven't tried it on the other apps though, but maybe there is something wrong with the app.

Some players on windows 10 have this issue, I used windows 10 without any problem, so have other players. So it will be tricky to pinpoint. Any additional details you might have would be useful.

Like any other app running, what kind of antivirus, etc etc.

• Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    5000 intel is way too much. The game freezes in the middle of a battle. Whoops, there gies 2 days worth of chrons. The penalty for things that go wrong app and server end is way too high, and support is way to slow to help when it does.

Also, get rid of intel and vp rewards. They're just insultingly worthless against the 5000 point cost of entry, and compounded by the limited to 50% trait match.
  • i had the same problem, i checked it on three different computers with different antivirus still same issue, went to my phone picked a ship, went back to computer and it worked fine it would also let me change ships on the computer now. hope this helps

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take also into account that you get chrons back as battle rewards and some in thresholds. That may take the chron cost to clear thresholds to below 10k. I do remember what is was like to be short on chrons. In fact this was before voyages. Now just picture chron life without voyages. That was rough sailing! Like walking an hour to school uphill barefoot in a foot of snow compared to now
    Take also into account that you get chrons back as battle rewards and some in thresholds. That may take the chron cost to clear thresholds to below 10k. I do remember what is was like to be short on chrons. In fact this was before voyages. Now just picture chron life without voyages. That was rough sailing! Like walking an hour to school uphill barefoot in a foot of snow compared to now

Agree. I actually have the chrons, but i lack the time and desire for dil. Sad for me, i suppose. I personally think this event is a 6 or 7 out of 10. Since i started working again, i just havent had the time for weekend events. This does little to move the needle for me, but i do think it has potential and see lots of value for those with more time/resources than i have.

Now i just need to figure out how Paladin is playing so i can have lots of extra chrons. Im guessing we play the game very differently :)
  • I agree with those who say that for this amount of dilithium a certain investment of resources is to be expected.
    But it's not pay to win, as in, you can't actually buy anything that would be useful for the event with real money. We can buy chrons with dilithium, but that makes no sense, since the rewards are also in dilithium (and you can't get back 500 dilithium by using 5000 intel). If there was an option to buy 500 chrons for real money (and at a lesser price than that of 200-250 dilithium) then it could make sense for people to attempt a pay to win approach.
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not thrilled that such a chrono heavy mini-event is happening just before a chrono heavy regular event. And this is after only having a week's breather after two chrono heavy other events (ie: the hybrid event two weeks ago and the galaxy event last week).

If this came out a year ago, I would have sat down with pen and paper to figure out if I could come out ahead in this mini and be ready to place where I want to in the upcoming event. Even with being a top-ish player now, I'm not sure how much I want to sacrifice for this. I do feel the 5K cost for a ticket is too much; maybe if that comes down, the rewards would need to go down too? I'm unsure. I'm just not sure this adds a fun, new feature to the game or not.

As things turn out today, I'm only planning on a threshold and out in this week's event, and I have 30K+ chronos saved up, so I could spend away and get a bunch of dilithium. But I'm still scratching my head to figure out if it's worth the effort (yes, it is objectively be worth the dilithium, but I'm not sure I want to spend the time). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 17hr, 20min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1575 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Kamikawa4 wrote: »

My only feedback is that this type of event should have a captain level gate. Another thing to get newer players to stick with the game and unlock as they become more one experienced.

I agree. I think that this probably has the best threshold rewards of any event that we've had so far and that it is a really nice addition for long-time players. But for anyone who has just started it must be very frustrating.
This discussion has been closed.