Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: The Need for Speed - 05/14

Comments

• My entire fleet is ready to quit over the amount of Faction going on. I don't mind it but it would nice to have more Variety. Expedition needs to be fixed so it isn't so hated and new event types need to come out.

BTW.. I'll take an expedition please. Love those. Haters can pound sand.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Frotex wrote: »
    Why do you guys hate expedition events so much? I always did well in them. I just assumed they were rare because it took a lot more work for the devs to create a bunch of new away missions.

That and the time it takes to play. Also, you can’t use any crew on shuttles or voyages.

Blocking out crew from voyages is a problem, but could be easily fixed. Beyond that I still like expeditions because it's the only event with some strategy and not a blind slot machine that you keep playing.

I never get this issue around voyages ... it is just 12 crew (of my 170 active crew).

Once you get a good feel of the crew you'll be using during your Expeditions runs to get the optimal performance out of them ... you can basically use all other crew for voyages ...

The last Expedition we had, I just sent out a tonne of my 1/5, 2/5s and 3/5s to hit 8 hrs and recall instantly after the dilemma. It was fun to send out such mötley crew ... sure it took a bit more effort than plugging in the standard names, but great to see my "lesser" crew performing as desired.

Furthermore, it was recently shown that (6 or) 8 hrs is the optimal time for Honor and chroniton farming for voyages.
  • ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    Frotex wrote: »
    Why do you guys hate expedition events so much? I always did well in them. I just assumed they were rare because it took a lot more work for the devs to create a bunch of new away missions.

That and the time it takes to play. Also, you can’t use any crew on shuttles or voyages.

Blocking out crew from voyages is a problem, but could be easily fixed. Beyond that I still like expeditions because it's the only event with some strategy and not a blind slot machine that you keep playing.

I never get this issue around voyages ... it is just 12 crew (of my 170 active crew).

I actually lol. Sorry. I guess it's a perspective issue. I don't even have that many crew. You may consider anything more on that simply jealousy. While I do have a few 1/5s half are portal and don't lift the same weight as many of the 4/4s.

While honour is always nice, some people may be looking for the cards and not the honor still.

All said, I am still pro expedition. Give me expeditions, and give me the hate of them. I have to make similar sacrifices during faction events to send voyages. Even a 7 hour voyage can be luxury during faction events depending on type. I would assume it's intentional and meant as a challenge. But some crazy people can't be happy having cake without eating it.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked this last faction event. Fewer players wanted Gabrielle Burnham, I had many Janeways, and I did not have to use shuttle tokens for my desired rank.
    Let’s fly!
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Seems we we are back to the Faction overkill. With this event to come 9 of the last 15 events have been Faction or part Faction. :|

Last full Galaxy is 5 weeks ago, don t get it why they can t just balance the events properly. No science, to have a different event type every week of the month(considering the month has 4 weeks).
    xhzu1bwml18g.jpeg

•SSR Delta Flyers•
    Seems we we are back to the Faction overkill. With this event to come 9 of the last 15 events have been Faction or part Faction. :|

But part faction are also part galaxy or part skirmish. Not sure why some lump them in as faction.
    Let’s fly!
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

But part faction are also part galaxy or part skirmish. Not sure why some lump them in as faction.

I don't either since the faction part has only a small bearing on event ranks. Plus, those faction phases give opportunity to use bonus crew. Small bonus crew is pretty much negligible in all other event types. I'll take a faction in phase 1 every time.
    Farewell 🖖
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    But Factions are tiresome and Galaxies even more. It is a mix of the worst for me.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    But Factions are tiresome and Galaxies even more. It is a mix of the worst for me.

If factions and galaxies are both tiresome to you, then I think you're pretty stuck. The only thing you have left are skirmishes. And we're not going to have skirmishes every week.

Personally faction/galaxy hybrids are my favorite. I get the 4th star and 10x portal from the galaxy half, and I don't need to spend a ton of resources in the faction half.
    I do agree more event types would be cool. A gauntlet one and a voyage one would be awesome. I like factions though cause they are less intense and I can use more of my crew,
    Let’s fly!
  • Mirror Sanoa, I have those feelings for Expedition, way to time consuming and unlike the other 3 types you don't get anything other than the points. At least in Galaxy, you end up with equipment and Components
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I do agree more event types would be cool. A gauntlet one and a voyage one would be awesome. I like factions though cause they are less intense and I can use more of my crew,

We don t necessarily need more event types. We have 4 different event types, counting Hybrids as 1(and not including Expeditions)so it would be easy
    to have 1 different event type every week of the month. 🤗

mpv43wqzmz4n.jpeg
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not for nothing, but if those upset are going to point out that 9 of the last 15 had faction parts, 7/15 had galaxy parts. 4 full galaxy to 5 full faction.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Here's some trivia I found surprising: "The Need for Speed" will be just the second event ever with a Featured Crew comprised exclusively of people of color. The other was the first run of "Quadrilateral", featuring 5* Captain La Forge and 4* Rogue Harry Kim; it event began on 12 August 2016. That was 195 events ago. (196 if you include the mini-Skirmish "Cataclysm", which seems unfair since it had no featured crew.) "The Need for Speed" will be the first time an event has featured three people of color, since at the time of "Quadrilateral", the same 4* was in the rank and threshold tables.

yes i also agree it is time for another expedition :)

No no no no no! Perhaps a visual gif would express my feelings better.

2rc9ngfsqppr.gif

I will add a few items to that gif basket.

9y6cwzn5a3uc.gif

...and also...

hcddbbbgtpo9.gif

I see what you did there. Let me help others by supplying the missing letter:

xsroy94wnghp.jpeg
    🖖

"In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

We don t necessarily need more event types. We have 4 different event types, counting Hybrids as 1(and not including Expeditions)so it would be easy
    to have 1 different event type every week of the month. 🤗

mpv43wqzmz4n.jpeg

Except that people love to count the half they don't like in a hybrid. So that's still 50% faction event and 50% galaxy. So 100% of players complaining.

Also, 25% skirmish is way too much for me. :-)
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    oze6qbwyvbiu.jpeg

I wonder what exotic bits we are going to need to craft that new Phaser, instead of the existing ones we have 💯+ of...............
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    oze6qbwyvbiu.jpeg

I wonder what exotic bits we are going to need to craft that new Phaser, instead of the existing ones we have 💯+ of...............

You could check the wiki! :lol:

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Displaced_Gabrielle_Burnham#Advancement
    🖖
    EDIT: I know that @DScottHewitt uses the wiki, so my comment was half tongue-in-cheek, and half a heads-up for newer players to that community resource which we players maintain for each other.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    oze6qbwyvbiu.jpeg

🖖
    EDIT: I know that @DScottHewitt uses the wiki, so my comment was half tongue-in-cheek, and half a heads-up for newer players to that community resource which we players maintain for each other.

The phaser is for Kim. He's not released yet. So no wiki data. DScottHewitt loves to speculate about future items.
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kim looks good. Definitely still using the grayer/dimmer color palette (do they not have color-safe bleach in the future to keep his whites white?), but otherwise nice.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    oze6qbwyvbiu.jpeg

🖖

The phaser is for Kim. He's not released yet. So no wiki data. DScottHewitt loves to speculate about future items.

Yes. I meant the double barreled Phaser Harry has. Is that from the actual episode? It's been a while since I saw it.......
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • .•°rÅTT°•..•°rÅTT°•. ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Indeed. My Fleet is not happy with this event at all. The Crew on offer excites No one and we are drained of boosts. We did fairly well in the last 2 Factions.
    The galaxy phase is the most important part of a faction/galaxy hybrid.

You still need shuttle tickets and boosts for a hybrid.. you start to run out eventually. Even if you buy them. If you like Faction but don't like Galaxy for example, the Faction portion of a hybrid becomes far more important. When there are so many factions it becomes hard to have the resources to place highly enough to get a gold crew.
    I recommend finding a silver lining and getting some positivity flowing through your fleet.

How would you suggest I do that? I have 0 control over their issues. I've heard many cited by my fleet, Among them. Events are boring and repetitive. The Crew on offer is (often) underwhelming. No new episodes. No changes to Gauntlet for a long time. Gauntlet is frustrating. Event Start times favor U.S. players over International players. Offers are too expensive or offer little of value. Portal is full of old useless crew that nobody wants. No new Starbase rooms, not enough to do. VIP has never been expanded, etc. etc. etc. I could go on and on. I think it boils down to the fact that everything is overpriced and grind is undervalued. Overall problem with the game as a whole. The game only works for people paying 10K a month or more. So for the rest of us it comes down to, Is the game fun and is it worthwhile playing. When there is a lot of repetition and little new content added people get bored. If they grind the whole weekend and only get a Super Rare or less they get frustrated. There are ways to make the game better but they NEVER happen (well almost never). Last change that made my fleet happy was the Campaign. If more sweeping changes like that were made I'm sure people would be happier. My fleet is currently unhappy and is showing it by boycotting this event. I'm gonna join them and support them. No money will be spent by me on this event. TP needs to Think about making some changes so more people can compete properly in events and get something worthwhile for their grind. If they don't people are gonna vote with their wallets. Mabye that means something to them.. mabye it doesn't. My fleet feels like this is what they want to do and I support them.

Somewhat unrelated.. In my many years on this planet I have observed something. No matter how mediocre something is someone on the Internet will say it isn't.

There is no downside from a player standpoint of making some positive changes to the game. Make us happy TP.

• Not sure if that pistol is an actual phaser or something else, since it was never discharged during the episode. It belonged to the racing saboteur Irina (until Harry wrested it away from her), and her people had all sorts of technology different from Starfleet's.
    "We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

"The eyes...are the groin...of the face." ~ Dwight K. Schrute III
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I have to say I'm not too concerned about the number of faction events currently, if there was another full faction event around the corner I might be changed on this view. A full faction event of burning 3* time boosts is far more damaging than using a couple of time boosts in a hybrid and then recouping VP in the second phase whether it's skirmish or galaxy.

If it's skirmish you can save loads of time boosts as there is virtually no chroniton expenditure either and you gain resources. Galaxy is more damaging admittedly because you are putting more pressure on inventory and chroniton expenditure, but the game is and has always been about resource management as much as it is card collecting game.

So far I have found the schedule to be kind to small spenders like me, yes my time boosts aren't exactly in the green category more like "Bojo's laughable covid19 defcon meter" of amber.

My bigger concern is what has been highlighted above and that is content and detail. Example I surprisingly ranked high enough to get Burnham and I am strongly considering spacing her but I do always weigh things up, like to sleep on it a little as it is a decision that's final and thus deserves that amount of care. However the concern I have is it's a weak card (yes not all cards can be stellar no problem there). Decent enough Eng base, secondary however is weak and proficiency score is weak to mediocre. In other words for a two skill card it's a mediocre one and as a card in total it is below par.
    What makes matters worse and here is the real crux of the matter is the traits:

There is only 4 and does not even have her affiliation(s)
    She could have Section 31 but can also have federation.
    Undercover operative would also be one as she was posing as an astrophysicist.
    She could also have caregiver trait (though a bit more contentious particularly how the term is used in the game and what the term should be used for)

So we have gone from 4 Traits to 8 not exactly breaking the trait limit like some cards but we have doubled her potential usefulness for many aspects of the game. You could even throw in the "desperate" trait for good measure, being attacked by Klingons, Stranded 950 years in the future... take your pick.

All this info is in the episodes and if that fails to some who don't watch it, there is a decent enough summary on memory Alpha.

It's this lack of care, attention to detail or just generally "selling a card" that puzzles me. As well as game development, although things are coming through an update is around the corner so I will remain patient on that personally I think fixing things is just as important as new content and it looks like they building a platform before jumping in and throwing new content at us which I think is actually potential for more benefit in the long run.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • AviTrek wrote: »

If factions and galaxies are both tiresome to you, then I think you're pretty stuck. The only thing you have left are skirmishes. And we're not going to have skirmishes every week.

Personally faction/galaxy hybrids are my favorite. I get the 4th star and 10x portal from the galaxy half, and I don't need to spend a ton of resources in the faction half.

Events as a whole are exhausting on STT. They are too frequent, too brainless and too time consuming. This all event formats have in common. Still Skirmish and Expedition are my favourites, the first for the extra rewards and the latter for being a little less brainless.

In any case some other games do much better in event design (e.g. Forge of Empires) while others I use to play do similarily bad as STT.

But I love STT for other parts of the game so I usually go through the hardship of events, but with diminishing excitement.

It's the same for me, with the difference that the only event type I don't hate is faction and the one I dislike the most is galaxy.
    But with the changes to space battles that TP announced, I could change my mind on skirmishes. It would be great if they added a quick-build option to give us a way to reduce the time spent on galaxy events too.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed. My Fleet is not happy with this event at all. The Crew on offer excites No one and we are drained of boosts. We did fairly well in the last 2 Factions.
    The galaxy phase is the most important part of a faction/galaxy hybrid.

You still need shuttle tickets and boosts for a hybrid.. you start to run out eventually. Even if you buy them. If you like Faction but don't like Galaxy for example, the Faction portion of a hybrid becomes far more important. When there are so many factions it becomes hard to have the resources to place highly enough to get a gold crew.
    I recommend finding a silver lining and getting some positivity flowing through your fleet.

How would you suggest I do that? I have 0 control over their issues. I've heard many cited by my fleet, Among them. Events are boring and repetitive. The Crew on offer is (often) underwhelming. No new episodes. No changes to Gauntlet for a long time. Gauntlet is frustrating. Event Start times favor U.S. players over International players. Offers are too expensive or offer little of value. Portal is full of old useless crew that nobody wants. No new Starbase rooms, not enough to do. VIP has never been expanded, etc. etc. etc. I could go on and on. I think it boils down to the fact that everything is overpriced and grind is undervalued. Overall problem with the game as a whole. The game only works for people paying 10K a month or more. So for the rest of us it comes down to, Is the game fun and is it worthwhile playing. When there is a lot of repetition and little new content added people get bored. If they grind the whole weekend and only get a Super Rare or less they get frustrated. There are ways to make the game better but they NEVER happen (well almost never). Last change that made my fleet happy was the Campaign. If more sweeping changes like that were made I'm sure people would be happier. My fleet is currently unhappy and is showing it by boycotting this event. I'm gonna join them and support them. No money will be spent by me on this event. TP needs to Think about making some changes so more people can compete properly in events and get something worthwhile for their grind. If they don't people are gonna vote with their wallets. Mabye that means something to them.. mabye it doesn't. My fleet feels like this is what they want to do and I support them.

Somewhat unrelated.. In my many years on this planet I have observed something. No matter how mediocre something is someone on the Internet will say it isn't.

There is no downside from a player standpoint of making some positive changes to the game. Make us happy TP.

Don't waste your shuttle boosts in a hybrid. The galaxy half has so many more VP that the faction half doesn't matter. If you save your boosts for full faction events you'll realize how many boosts you have.