Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: The Need for Speed - 05/14

Comments

• (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miles O’Brien was shocked to learn that a Pah Wraith had possessed Keiko on her last trip to Bajor. He thought she had been possessed for years.

She was seriously the worst thing about DS9.

It was a problem because this was basically a spin-off show with Miles O’Brien and the writers had to bring his family with him but did not really want to include them much. I guess they felt they needed to bring them in from time to time but had a lack of imagination on how so resorted to just having her complaining as Miles went in and out of the apartment. One complaint in an episode is ignored. But when they put a complaint in many episodes it made her character a negative one. Also, the TNG writers never had the time to develop Keiko’s character as anything other than how she related to Miles so the DS9 writers did not have the time to develop her much when they were trying to show character development on a whole new cast of people.
    Let’s fly!
  • A crew called Mountain Climber Mayweather seriously exists, lol? Does he visit grade school classrooms on career day, accompanied by Fire Marshal Reed?
    "We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

"The eyes...are the groin...of the face." ~ Dwight K. Schrute III
  • Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miles O’Brien was shocked to learn that a Pah Wraith had possessed Keiko on her last trip to Bajor. He thought she had been possessed for years.

It was a problem because this was basically a spin-off show with Miles O’Brien and the writers had to bring his family with him but did not really want to include them much. I guess they felt they needed to bring them in from time to time but had a lack of imagination on how so resorted to just having her complaining as Miles went in and out of the apartment. One complaint in an episode is ignored. But when they put a complaint in many episodes it made her character a negative one. Also, the TNG writers never had the time to develop Keiko’s character as anything other than how she related to Miles so the DS9 writers did not have the time to develop her much when they were trying to show character development on a whole new cast of people.

I love the actress but the character had no purpose on a space station being a botanist.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the actress but the character had no purpose on a space station being a botanist.

She was O’Briens wife. They went together

Banjo1012 wrote: »
    She was O’Briens wife. They went together

I know I’m in the minority, but I liked Keiko. It’s true she lacked professional purpose on DS9 as a botanist, but the writers played on that repeatedly in the show. It’s part of why she was often unhappy. She became a teacher because as a parent she saw a need and she wasn’t needed as a botanist. And she later went on excursions to use her botany skills — which created further tension in her marriage with Miles when she (and Molly) we’re away for extended periods. To me, it was pretty realistic and a good way to acknowledge the real-life challenges of a spouse (and let’s be honest, it’s often the wife) putting a promising career on hold in order to follow the other spouse to a big new job opportunity.

You’re not alone. I dig Mirror Keiko and was a fan of Pah Wrath. I am interested in Bride Keiko. It’s a pretty intriguing choice. Her skill set may be interesting as well

• DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

She should have had Miles transfer to Babylon 5. There were lots of gardens there.

Miles would have been great with Evil Checkov. Keiko apparently didn't want to follow Miles to Atlantis.

She should have had Miles transfer to Babylon 5. There were lots of gardens there.

Miles would have been great with Evil Checkov. Keiko apparently didn't want to follow Miles to Atlantis.

And after dealing with Garak who never gives a straight answer to a question Kosh would be a breeze.
    Let’s fly!
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bride Keiko as legendary, another very odd pick to headline an event(the week after). Imho DF Kim should have been Legendary and Keiko a SR.
    Not sure such character drive sales. 🤗

I liked TNG Keiko. Sad what the DS9 writers did to her.

Sadder still what the DS9 writers didn't do with her. They did a wonderful job with the Siskos, and the (whatever the family of Quark is called), so it's not like they couldn't write families or civilians. Making Keiko part of the A plot was always awkward because there's only so much to do with a botanist, but she had a lot of B plot potential. I never quite understood why they had Worf keep Miles at arm's length, but he and Keiko could have had some nice character stuff. She had a three year head start on not wanting to be on DS9 and not feeling comfortable there. I guess the only upside is they didn't just kill her?

Anyway, I'd be pleased with Bridal Keiko in a campaign but I don't have much enthusiasm for her at 1/5. This will be the third consecutive week for me to just kinda phone it in.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

I see you've repressed Lumba. I envy you.
    Bride Keiko as legendary, another very odd pick to headline an event(the week after). Imho DF Kim should have been Legendary and Keiko a SR.
    Not sure such character drive sales. 🤗

I liked TNG Keiko. Sad what the DS9 writers did to her.

Sadder still what the DS9 writers didn't do with her. They did a wonderful job with the Siskos, and the (whatever the family of Quark is called), so it's not like they couldn't write families or civilians. Making Keiko part of the A plot was always awkward because there's only so much to do with a botanist, but she had a lot of B plot potential. I never quite understood why they had Worf keep Miles at arm's length, but he and Keiko could have had some nice character stuff. She had a three year head start on not wanting to be on DS9 and not feeling comfortable there. I guess the only upside is they didn't just kill her?

Anyway, I'd be pleased with Bridal Keiko in a campaign but I don't have much enthusiasm for her at 1/5. This will be the third consecutive week for me to just kinda phone it in.

They were often going to planets in the Gamma Quadrant. It seems like they could have used a botanist on at least some of those planets. But they had Jadzia handle all the science stuff.
    Let’s fly!
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sensing a distinct lack of Lumba support.
    PenguinJim wrote: »

That’s when you know it’s time for a new bed. Ba Doom Ching!!

• PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    PenguinJim wrote: »

That’s when you know it’s time for a new bed. Ba Doom Ching!!

You got it!

giphy.gif
  • eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's some trivia I found surprising: "The Need for Speed" will be just the second event ever with a Featured Crew comprised exclusively of people of color. The other was the first run of "Quadrilateral", featuring 5* Captain La Forge and 4* Rogue Harry Kim; it event began on 12 August 2016. That was 195 events ago. (196 if you include the mini-Skirmish "Cataclysm", which seems unfair since it had no featured crew.) "The Need for Speed" will be the first time an event has featured three people of color, since at the time of "Quadrilateral", the same 4* was in the rank and threshold tables.

yes i also agree it is time for another expedition :)
  • Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frotex wrote: »
    Why do you guys hate expedition events so much? I always did well in them. I just assumed they were rare because it took a lot more work for the devs to create a bunch of new away missions.

That and the time it takes to play. Also, you can’t use any crew on shuttles or voyages.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the search makes it better, but scrolling through crew is a pain in the tush.
    Why do you guys hate expedition events so much? I always did well in them. I just assumed they were rare because it took a lot more work for the devs to create a bunch of new away missions.

I dislike them because of the clicking involved. It aggravates my carpal tunnel in a way the other events do not. That and they are boring and do not provide honor like skirmishes do.
    Let’s fly!
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

I dislike them because of the clicking involved. It aggravates my carpal tunnel in a way the other events do not. That and they are boring and do not provide honor like skirmishes do.

I can't take it for 4 days. Compromise with a hybrid and my enthusiasm goes up significantly.
    Farewell 🖖
    Exanimus wrote: »
    I am obviously in the minority, but I enjoyed the one I was here for. I would vote for more expeditions. I'll be honest enough to say part of why I probably liked it was that the endemic hate for it made it easier to rank. For my level I made out like a bandit. I whole heartedly support expeditions and the hate of them.

Hehe, that’s funny. Yes, if we have another I will skip it and there will be one less player competing which is ok. I recognize there are many players and not every event has to appeal to me. But if we do not have one I will not complain. :p
    Let’s fly!