Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: The Need for Speed - 05/14

Comments

• Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 out of 6 full faction events?

They are the money makers. People buy packs to finish their super rare. Whales buy boosts.

I was referencing issues that some players are having with getting into phase 2.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Crash41Crash41 ✭✭✭
    Why is EV Suit Tuvok listed as a featured crew on the wiki??
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crash41 wrote: »

Where are you seeing that?

kok8uhp2nxrf.jpg
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 out of 6 full faction events?

They are the money makers. People buy packs to finish their super rare. Whales buy boosts.

Plus, they make those shuttle requisition tokens in the campaign valuable.

Yes, I think profitability is the main reason we see so few expedition events. Very few buy any extra tickets as the number of tickets is already tedious and most do not fully complete each ticket. If they reduced the number of tickets a day from 3 to 2 and put the number of missions to 3 I think the event would be more profitable. For those that like the difficulty of expeditions Tilting Point could increase the amount crew members get tired to balance it.

I still think it was a mistake to remove the timer from tickets. Being open-ended makes them feel endless, because they are. Having a cap makes them feel more manageable and therefore more approachable. I used to benefit from my willingness to grind it out. There was something deliriously gratifying about seeing how many crew I could exhaust before the ticket closed. Now that the only limit is how many of my crew I want to exhaust, there isn't any real appeal.

And I still maintain that if Expeditions had community rewards, they'd have been better liked, and that if Galaxies didn't have them, those would be more widely hated.

I’m not so sure that’s really an issue. Returns on grinding really diminish once you’ve cleared all the rare reward nodes, and some of us don’t even make it that far before wanting to throw in the towel on a given ticket (I seem to recall only bothering with Epic and Elite, skipping Normal and then canceling the ticket so I could be done with it).
    Crash41 wrote: »

Where are you seeing that?

kok8uhp2nxrf.jpg

It’s on the Events page:

akt9uprj3si1.jpeg

Also, the separate Events/2020 page hasn’t been updated since early January, in case anyone else thinks to look there first.
  • KatlaKatla ✭✭✭
    Has anyone used Mayweather in phase 2?
    I've used Burnham, Kim and Demora Sulu (rarely). But no Mayweather.
    Also haven't seen any med or dip bonuses.
    Just seems weird, though I'm hardly complaining.
  • HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katla wrote: »

22tjk2t0f9jh.jpg
    fyhpbsdptvvu.jpg

PlayingSince: 2016-09-16Can we get some more characters from TAS?We finally have Caitians in the game!Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress - got her
    • Amanda Rogers - got her
    • Admiral S'rrel from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - not in the game yet
    • Agmar - not in the game yet
    • M'yra - not in the game yet
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭

There's one (maybe 2) build where Mayweather is second on the list under a 1/5 G. Burnham ... but he actually has a better percentage (+4%) due to trait bonuses.

However ... I'm just tapping through not paying much attention and usually end up with Burnham there by mistake.

I ditched Demora Sulu because for her build the #2 on the list has a higher % ... so in order to not accidentally have her build it, I froze her.
  • KatlaKatla ✭✭✭
    I'll need to see who I've got after Demora. I use her for Sec and she's getting 49-54%. Comes up so infrequently that it hasn't stopped my tapping.

I gotta say, I dig that players are actually using 4* Demora Sulu in an event. Trait bonuses are wonderful.
  • KatlaKatla ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Well, not so much. RR was right in that Demora was a false choice. Granted, I've only got Kim there now with 2% points higher. Still odd that there's so few bonus crew for me, especially without Demora. And nearly exclusively Eng/Sci/Com.
    Still not complaining.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Well, not so much. RR was right in that Demora was a false choice. Granted, I've only got Kim there now with 2% points higher. Still odd that there's so few bonus crew for me, especially without Demora. And nearly exclusively Eng/Sci/Com.
    Still not complaining.

Had to build a couple more after handing in all my SRs to finish off with zero ... here are a few I found where #1 on the list is not the best option ... if you have G. Burnham at 1/5.
    There might be more.

Field Trials
    (film thingy) - Mayweather 3rd choice ... the best option over immortal Kim and 1/5 G. Burnham
    (padd thingy) - Mayweather 2nd choice ... the best option over 1/5 G. Burnham.

Pit Crew
    (red/black/yellow thingy) - Mayweather 2nd choice ... the best option over 1/5 G. Burnham.

Built to Last
    (canister thingy) - Mayweather 3rd choice ... the best option over 1/5 G. Burnham and immortal Kim

EDIT: done with the event ... you can find me at 417k VP, currently rank 1675.
  • .•°rÅTT°•..•°rÅTT°•. ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    But if you don't have anyone with holes in their roster, then your fleet should definitely sit this one out.

So we shouldn't point out the lack reasons to play (and spend) to TP? We should just not play and shut our yaps? Is that what you are saying?

But for the record, as far as starting fights go, earlier in this thread I said I disliked expedition events because it aggravated my carpal tunnel and ATT then said expedition haters can “pound sand” which I found to be quite rude and dismissive of me and my carpal tunnel issue.

Dude.. how could I possibly have known you have carpal tunnel? I didn't accuse you of being a hater either. If you dislike it that's perfectly OK. I dislike Galaxy but I'm not asking for Galaxy events to go away as people are with Expedition. My Fleet has different people who prefer different aspects of the game. That's all fine. But in General they are unhappy with the lack of value the game is. That's all. You can sit back and do nothing, You can quit or you can voice your displeasure. Our fleet is doing the later. If that offends people then I do apologize. Our message is for TP not other players. For myself I will endevour to complain in a less negative manor in the future.
    And I still maintain that if Expeditions had community rewards, they'd have been better liked, and that if Galaxies didn't have them, those would be more widely hated.

Agree completely. Minor changes to Expedition will fix it. Its another viable event type.
    Ren~ wrote:
    They're doing the bare minimum.

Yep.. have been for years. Campaign was a positive development. We need more of that. Lower the prices and offer better content. People will pay. I have no problem paying but I'm not gonna pay for crap. Sorry again for being negative. My Bad.
  • KatlaKatla ✭✭✭
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    Still not complaining.

Had to build a couple more after handing in all my SRs to finish off with zero ... here are a few I found where #1 on the list is not the best option ... if you have G. Burnham at 1/5.
    There might be more.

Field Trials
    (film thingy) - Mayweather 3rd choice ... the best option over immortal Kim and 1/5 G. Burnham
    (padd thingy) - Mayweather 2nd choice ... the best option over 1/5 G. Burnham.

Pit Crew
    (red/black/yellow thingy) - Mayweather 2nd choice ... the best option over 1/5 G. Burnham.

Built to Last
    (canister thingy) - Mayweather 3rd choice ... the best option over 1/5 G. Burnham and immortal Kim

EDIT: done with the event ... you can find me at 417k VP, currently rank 1675.

Thanks for the work. Content to tap between my Burnham and Kim, but I appreciate the response.
    But if you don't have anyone with holes in their roster, then your fleet should definitely sit this one out.

So we shouldn't point out the lack reasons to play (and spend) to TP? We should just not play and shut our yaps? Is that what you are saying?

But for the record, as far as starting fights go, earlier in this thread I said I disliked expedition events because it aggravated my carpal tunnel and ATT then said expedition haters can “pound sand” which I found to be quite rude and dismissive of me and my carpal tunnel issue.

Dude.. how could I possibly have known you have carpal tunnel? I didn't accuse you of being a hater either. If you dislike it that's perfectly OK. I dislike Galaxy but I'm not asking for Galaxy events to go away as people are with Expedition. My Fleet has different people who prefer different aspects of the game. That's all fine. But in General they are unhappy with the lack of value the game is. That's all. You can sit back and do nothing, You can quit or you can voice your displeasure. Our fleet is doing the later. If that offends people then I do apologize. Our message is for TP not other players. For myself I will endevour to complain in a less negative manor in the future.

Agree completely. Minor changes to Expedition will fix it. Its another viable event type.
    Ren~ wrote:
    They're doing the bare minimum.

Yep.. have been for years. Campaign was a positive development. We need more of that. Lower the prices and offer better content. People will pay. I have no problem paying but I'm not gonna pay for crap. Sorry again for being negative. My Bad.

Admiral Positivity - nice touch. I'll take it. :) Are you supposed to not post? That's ridiculous! Everyone should post on the forum. You mentioned new event types. If you have something in mind, post it (in Make It So) and be productive. I have posted lots of stuff there because I would also love to see WRG add something new. Maybe you could use your fleet's passion for Expeditions and suggest some ways to make them more popular while maintaining WRG's profit margin. You can do this! I believe in you!

(As for Apollo's carpal tunnel - he said that Expeditions aggravated his carpal tunnel, but you ignored it.)
    Farewell 🖖
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have BurnMom. Mayweather did 95+% of my crafting.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Did DB/TP really compare their game to the space program in the halfway point or was I overanalysing?!
  • Just to add to the debate about Expedition - if TP gave only one ticket a day it would solve the grindiness of it.
    Still not complaining.

Ah, but for Demora Sulu to be above better choices, chances are you used her in Phase 1. It counts.
    Are you supposed to not post? That's ridiculous! Everyone should post on the forum.

Great.. so why do you seem to have such a problem then?
    You mentioned new event types. If you have something in mind, post it (in Make It So) and be productive.

Yes Sir Admiral Sir! I'll get right on it.
    your fleet's passion for Expeditions

I never said my entire fleet likes expeditions. Love your vivid imagination though.
    (As for Apollo's carpal tunnel - he said that Expeditions aggravated his carpal tunnel, but you ignored it.)

Well played sir. You are correct. I missed it the first time he mentioned it. My Bad. I don't really have a problem with Apollo. He can hate Expeditions all he wants and that's a legitimate reason. Seems like Skirmish shouldn't be too good for that either but what do I know?

So unless I'm mistaken the takeaway here is Apollo and others can hate Expeditions and lobby against them constantly .. but I can't do the same for Galaxy or Faction. Got it. I'll make a note in my book. :D

Now you're just name-calling.
    You're welcome to complain about faction and galaxy. But there are huge, gaping flaws with expedition. And we can't skirmish every weekend. Since you have provided no alternatives, your complaints are only that - complaints. That's why it's so hard to take them seriously. The name-calling makes it even harder to take you seriously.

I'm really a reasonable guy. Another player was calling me names in another thread. As soon as he stopped and began a productive conversation, I helped him make a spreadsheet. I hope to help him with an experiment. Something productive. We'll be collecting data to test the success percentages that DB/WRG assigns to shuttles during the upcoming event. If you can be bothered to participate, I would love to have your help. But if you're just here to whine and moan with all the keyboard courage of a top rate troll, then by all means, see where that gets you. If you're ready to put this behind you and do something productive, then I welcome you. I hope to see you in the Engineering Room before the event starts. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    Are you supposed to not post? That's ridiculous! Everyone should post on the forum.

You mentioned new event types. If you have something in mind, post it (in Make It So) and be productive.

I never said my entire fleet likes expeditions. Love your vivid imagination though.

Well played sir. You are correct. I missed it the first time he mentioned it. My Bad. I don't really have a problem with Apollo. He can hate Expeditions all he wants and that's a legitimate reason. Seems like Skirmish shouldn't be too good for that either but what do I know?

So unless I'm mistaken the takeaway here is Apollo and others can hate Expeditions and lobby against them constantly .. but I can't do the same for Galaxy or Faction. Got it. I'll make a note in my book. :D

You're welcome to complain about faction and galaxy. But there are huge, gaping flaws with expedition. And we can't skirmish every weekend. Since you have provided no alternatives, your complaints are only that - complaints. That's why it's so hard to take them seriously. The name-calling makes it even harder to take you seriously.

I'm really a reasonable guy. Another player was calling me names in another thread. As soon as he stopped and began a productive conversation, I helped him make a spreadsheet. I hope to help him with an experiment. Something productive. We'll be collecting data to test the success percentages that DB/WRG assigns to shuttles during the upcoming event. If you can be bothered to participate, I would love to have your help. But if you're just here to whine and moan with all the keyboard courage of a top rate troll, then by all means, see where that gets you. If you're ready to put this behind you and do something productive, then I welcome you. I hope to see you in the Engineering Room before the event starts. :)

Disingenuous and evasive.

This point wasn't about having the "Lorca" approved right to complain. The point is every time some one so much as intakes breath to say they like expeditions the ivory tower trolls spam the thread with the desire or demand to never see another expedition ever again. Don't lie and pretend it doesn't happen. They demand to never see them again, and when clapped back pretend that everyone should have what they like. Only that's not possible or compatible with the hysterical rants demanding to never see them. The moment anyone says factions or galaxies aren't their favourite the same trolls spam the thread to shout down any criticism. The difference is, people who like expeditions have the respect to not troll spam about getting rid of anything.

So now you hide behind you being "reasonable" which is nothing more than an accusation that no one else is. You are not the person he was talking to, he was talking to everyone who demands expeditions never happen. By speaking for that group, you are by implication calling him unreasonable. Offering alternatives is not a requirement for voicing dissatisfaction. Your characterization of him voicing dissatisfaction as complaining, is arrogant and dismissive. You are condescending to him hoping it will cow him.

It is an opinion that expeditions are flawed. They are no more flawed subjectively than any other event. I believe factions are by far the most flawed and unbalanced event in the game. Which would be shut down by the immediate backhand of telling me it's golden goose. Which will be followed by a diatribe intended to shame players who don't spend enough for wanting to impoverish the people behind the game. Everything ends in pay shaming now.
    Exanimus wrote: »

Disingenuous and evasive.

This point wasn't about having the "Lorca" approved right to complain. The point is every time some one so much as intakes breath to say they like expeditions the ivory tower trolls spam the thread with the desire or demand to never see another expedition ever again. Don't lie and pretend it doesn't happen. They demand to never see them again, and when clapped back pretend that everyone should have what they like. Only that's not possible or compatible with the hysterical rants demanding to never see them. The moment anyone says factions or galaxies aren't their favourite the same trolls spam the thread to shout down any criticism. The difference is, people who like expeditions have the respect to not troll spam about getting rid of anything.

So now you hide behind you being "reasonable" which is nothing more than an accusation that no one else is. You are not the person he was talking to, he was talking to everyone who demands expeditions never happen. By speaking for that group, you are by implication calling him unreasonable. Offering alternatives is not a requirement for voicing dissatisfaction. Your characterization of him voicing dissatisfaction as complaining, is arrogant and dismissive. You are condescending to him hoping it will cow him.

It is an opinion that expeditions are flawed. They are no more flawed subjectively than any other event. I believe factions are by far the most flawed and unbalanced event in the game. Which would be shut down by the immediate backhand of telling me it's golden goose. Which will be followed by a diatribe intended to shame players who don't spend enough for wanting to impoverish the people behind the game. Everything ends in pay shaming now.

He quoted me. He changed my name, but you can see that those are my words. He was absolutely talking to me. You quoted me, so you are also talking to me. You are quick to call others trolls, yet here you are with the name-calling. It's not civil. There was a very civil discussion about the pros and cons of faction and galaxy events. Instead of having a similarly civil discussion about expedition, you're name-calling. And saying ridiculous things like "that guy who quoted you wasn't talking to you."

As far as pay-shaming, you made a very hyperbolic statement (or you actually do want to impoverish the devs). It's not about pay-shaming. It's simply recognizing that the game is a business. It is like every other imperfect thing out there. It has flaws. It must exist within reality. And reality requires money. I appreciate those who heavily fund the game. I am glad that there are players who can enjoy the game for free. The game either wouldn't exist or wouldn't be fun if one of those groups were missing.

It wasn't my intention to say people were being unreasonable, but now that you mention it, you are. Hyperbolic statements like yours earlier are unreasonable by their definition. I've no intention to "cow" anyone. But I will advocate civil discourse. Name-calling is not civil.

As to speaking for expedition haters - I do not. I'm indifferent on the topic. I rank about the same in those events as I do in others. I would make a lousy spokesperson for the haters. And no, offering alternatives is not a requirement for voicing dissatisfaction. It's just a good way to be taken more seriously. I've seen you throw ideas out there. I hope you continue to do so. I take those much more seriously than hyperbolic statements. They are much better contributions to the forum community. I hope you choose to continue contributing in a positive manner. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't even look where I placed. I quit trying Sunday and went ahead and froze 4 🌟 to get back the 5 🌟 Crew I had froze to thaw Event Bonus 4 🌟 Crew. I dropped over 1,000 placed Sunday, while Crafting. And knew the last minute Monday cash ins hadn't happened yet.......
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta say, I dig that players are actually using 4* Demora Sulu in an event. Trait bonuses are wonderful.

Are we the only ones waiting for book characters to start making their way into the game so we can finally get a
    5* Captain Demora
    ??
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭

Are we the only ones waiting for book characters to start making their way into the game so we can finally get a
    5* Captain Demora
    ??

I have long advocated book characters after how successful the Mirror TNG mega based in the comics was. I had never heard of the Mirror TNG comics but read them because of the Mega and enjoyed both. Hope they do more of these.
    Let’s fly!
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding Expeditions in general... A loottable like on regular away missions would make them more attractive for a lot of people I think. And depending on the desirability of the obtainable loot (0* holograms, 3* alcohol or whatever, maybe even only common stuff we regularily need in Galaxies) this might even trigger more ticket purchases.

Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think one of the biggest problems at least for me, regarding faction events is knowing when to stop with boosts. Unlike the other events you can make up x amount of VP any time you want where as shuttles your VP accumulation is locked in for a significant amount of time (aka the clock is running down) , coupled with the fact that you have shuttle failure that's far more damaging than not receiving the odd super rare item in a galaxy event. The only way of steam rolling it like you would in a galaxy or skirmish is spend a fractonne of money, which handily appendices with @Bylo Band comment above. So the only alternative (semi steamrolling) is relying on time boosting and then you are trying to pitch it with other people who could have similar circumstances or far healthier circumstances than your own regarding stockpiles. This leads you to over spend on boosts rather than stockpile, at least in my case, it can also make you a bit more complacent than you'd want to with turnarounds etc.

But if I'm honest my roster is full of 1/5s, I'm struggling to pull out purple bonus crew and my boosts aren't that healthy, but I'm sure thursdays replenishers, will help on this front either way. I'm not complaining as it is just an indicator that I need to take it easier on events and address the issues. The last time this happened I failed to get Presage in that mega event but hey a few months down the line I got Annika Hansen and Icheb. There will always be a next time.

I understand the feeling of not quite knowing where to stop when it comes to the final 12-18 hours of a Faction event that I want to rank in. I’d rather overshoot and end up in the top 500 or 600 than risk being in 1200th place 20 minutes before the end and 1550th when the event is over.
    EDIT Oh and the only other frustration I have is I don't think I'll ever complete Thursdays cadet challenges on Epic level LOL.

This x1000. I think I’ve finished one of them on accident, because I have fat-fingered a few ad warps on Epic and needed a moment to figure out how I got six single premium boost packs instead of two 10x standard boost packs. The others? Not worth the effort of thawing out the right crew, grinding through the one or two runs required to get all three stars, and then freeze everyone again.