Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: The Need for Speed - 05/14

1234568»

Comments

• W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    This might be a strange idea, but, we know they listen to us, so how about giving them concrete, constructive suggestions? If we figured out the biggest peeves and brainstormed on them, surely we could find valid solutions. There is a lot of experience and creative ideas here. Let's put them to use.
    I've only played the recent Expedition, but I was struck by the lack of extras compared the events I was used to and the drag of the unlimited ticket. Returning a timer to the ticket and filling out the rewards would be good to start.

Ideas for Expedition Improvement -
    *If each ticket (6) was good for four hours, you could play all day if you wanted to grind it, but it wouldn't drag out forever.
    PtW players could buy more and tickets could be added to the thresholds or as random drops, like Skirmish, as a bridge between high paying and free players for fairness. It couldn't drag on if a clock was running and you wouldn't feel like you were "wasting" a ticket if you ended it and started another. It would expire naturally. I was keen to immortalize my Dr. LaForge and could have from the thresholds, but I was so drained by it, I just gave up.
    * Adding interesting rewards would be a draw. Faction/replication only items, equipment crates, honor, hard to find schematics, even a citation or dilithium in the top rewards would be nice. There is potential to make these very popular if done correctly and added once in a while for variety. Just fill out the thresholds a bit and get creative with the node and level prizes.
    * There was a great idea about converting old Expeditions to new episodes. There are a lot of people eager for new content of this kind. I would think it would be somewhat feasible. How about using "The Games Afoot" as a test case? It has already been rerun and seemed a popular pick. Since Quinn was a reward for the most recent episode, maybe players could choose between Detective Data and The Professor at the end.

Any more ideas or oversights? Like I said, I've played one. You guys have more experience.

I gotta say, I dig that players are actually using 4* Demora Sulu in an event. Trait bonuses are wonderful.

Are we the only ones waiting for book characters to start making their way into the game so we can finally get a
    5* Captain Demora
    ??

I have long advocated book characters after how successful the Mirror TNG mega based in the comics was. I had never heard of the Mirror TNG comics but read them because of the Mega and enjoyed both. Hope they do more of these.

I would love to see book characters or variants added. I love the novels, even the kids books. I read the first six NG Academy books in one day after I got them in my Easter basket. The main crew as cadets could be very fun and add a "Cadet" trait, which we could add to a couple existing crew. Bring on The New Frontier, Corps of Engineers, IKS Gorkon, or Vanguard crew.
    I would buy a T'Prynn, no question. The meanest, most devious hellbeast I've even known masquerading as a three pound cat we called T'Prynn. She used my sister's black lab and her own brother to get into a room with a HASP on the door and teamed with her brother, Tarleton, to liberate roasts from running crockpots by using the liner bags as handles.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    This might be a strange idea, but, we know they listen to us, so how about giving them concrete, constructive suggestions? If we figured out the biggest peeves and brainstormed on them, surely we could find valid solutions. There is a lot of experience and creative ideas here. Let's put them to use.
    I've only played the recent Expedition, but I was struck by the lack of extras compared the events I was used to and the drag of the unlimited ticket. Returning a timer to the ticket and filling out the rewards would be good to start.

Ideas for Expedition Improvement -
    *If each ticket (6) was good for four hours, you could play all day if you wanted to grind it, but it wouldn't drag out forever.
    PtW players could buy more and tickets could be added to the thresholds or as random drops, like Skirmish, as a bridge between high paying and free players for fairness. It couldn't drag on if a clock was running and you wouldn't feel like you were "wasting" a ticket if you ended it and started another. It would expire naturally. I was keen to immortalize my Dr. LaForge and could have from the thresholds, but I was so drained by it, I just gave up.
    * Adding interesting rewards would be a draw. Faction/replication only items, equipment crates, honor, hard to find schematics, even a citation or dilithium in the top rewards would be nice. There is potential to make these very popular if done correctly and added once in a while for variety. Just fill out the thresholds a bit and get creative with the node and level prizes.
    * There was a great idea about converting old Expeditions to new episodes. There are a lot of people eager for new content of this kind. I would think it would be somewhat feasible. How about using "The Games Afoot" as a test case? It has already been rerun and seemed a popular pick. Since Quinn was a reward for the most recent episode, maybe players could choose between Detective Data and The Professor at the end.

Any more ideas or oversights? Like I said, I've played one. You guys have more experience.

I gotta say, I dig that players are actually using 4* Demora Sulu in an event. Trait bonuses are wonderful.

Are we the only ones waiting for book characters to start making their way into the game so we can finally get a
    5* Captain Demora
    ??

I have long advocated book characters after how successful the Mirror TNG mega based in the comics was. I had never heard of the Mirror TNG comics but read them because of the Mega and enjoyed both. Hope they do more of these.

I would love to see book characters or variants added. I love the novels, even the kids books. I read the first six NG Academy books in one day after I got them in my Easter basket. The main crew as cadets could be very fun and add a "Cadet" trait, which we could add to a couple existing crew. Bring on The New Frontier, Corps of Engineers, IKS Gorkon, or Vanguard crew.
    I would buy a T'Prynn, no question.
    The meanest, most devious hellbeast I've even known masquerading as a three pound cat we called T'Prynn. She used my sister's black lab and her own brother to get into a room with a HASP on the door and teamed with her brother, Tarleton, to liberate roasts from running crockpots by using the liner bags as handles.

I wish I could “Awesome” this post more than once. Thank you for making me smile, @W.W. Carlisle . :smile:
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
    You are welcome, @~peregrine~ . That made my day.
    One of my pet peeves are people who complain, but offer no solutions. I find complaints get very quiet when you ask for genuine feedback on how to fix them. Everyone wants to complain, but no one wants to fix it. Demanding change, but not saying what kind is foolish. Give them direction and see what happens. Angry players leave. Mostly happy ones who feel valued are the best kind. They want us happy, but they can't read minds.
    As for the cat...Prynn took after her mother. Katrina was rightly named for the hurricane. She put two grown males, 9 and 10lbs, under my sister's bed for two weeks as a half grown kitten. It was a raised queen, so feed, water, a bed, and litter box all fit. i came in from class to find tufts of long, black hair in four rooms on two floors, and Kat looking like an Amish man with a huge mouthful of black fur for a beard!
    Her kittens were born in the coldest day of 2007. The heat was out and they couldn't get to us until Monday. The only girl was second of four and the only short hair like Kat. The three boys were long-haired like their Himalayan father. I picked up Prynn, took one glance, and said "This is a little girl". One, she was marked identical to her mother with an executioner's mask of solid black covering her head and neck. Two, she hissed and tried to bite my finger as a wet, toothless, blind newborn.
    Tuxedo pattern takes a T after old Tucker, so we had Tartarus, T'Prynn, Tarleton, and Tarquinus. We lost Tartarus as a baby and Tarquin at about two months. Quinn had unfortunate markings- his blaze ran up his nose, over his head, down his back part way, and picked up again on his tail. Picture this on a fuzzy black kitten. Yep, he looked like a skunk. Sis called him "the little skunk baby" his whole life.
    The two that reached adulthood were a force. Lee could use his feet like hands. He opened doors, latches, that hasp, the cat carrier....you name it. He also opened a push button microwave and ate my sister's TV dinner, lol. I watched Prynn lunge at a mouse through the side of a clear tote. She scared it up to the top to a waiting Lee.
    The crockpot was a thing of skill. We lost a beef roast and a turkey breast before I caught them. It was far away from the edge of the counter, so it wasn't the dog. When a cat would push on the lid, it would drop down on that side. It also lifted up on the far side...yep, Prynn pushed at one end and the bigger Lee got under it and flipped it off. They then each grabbed the end of the cooking liner to haul it out on the counter to cool...They were pair, capable of any mischief, but crazy close. Lee would babysit her kittens. Lee's granddaughter stole a cheesecurl out of Sis's hand as she went to put it in her mouth a few weeks ago.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
    edited May 2020
    @W.W. Carlisle , since we are done with that event, I like how this thread has meandered. I learned a valuable lesson, too, which is to shut my pie-hole and listen (read) more instead. Those cats of yours....
    OK, gotta share this cat story. Many many moons ago, my roommate adopted a stray female. Before she could get her to the vet, the cat came home preggers & looked as pleased as punch. So we waited and resolved to be responsible for the future kittens.

My roommate and I used to watch TNG every Monday night. During the penultimate episode of the series, the cat came shooting across the TV room & her water broke. Needless to say, we didn’t finish watching that episode. Instead, we watched her. She birthed 4 kittens: the twins, Big Gray & the runt. It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen, and I still get teary-eyed thinking about it.

I knew that I would get one of the kittens, so when Mama Ollie moved them under my bed at 2 weeks of age, I would drop my hand over the side & wiggle the bed skirt. The runt would immediately attack, so I knew who had chosen me. Also, I had wondered what a cat born under a full moon would be like, so I had a name in mind already: Moonshine. It all fits together in my memory: Trek, cats, life.

Anyway, Moonshine lived to be 18 years old and was always a bit playful, even as he slowed down with age. He would still nip on my finger when he consented to let me brush him. When he died, I cried for days, then smiled as I recalled seeing him being born.
    I never did watch the rest of that TNG episode, though. I wonder how things turned out. :wink:

LLAP, y’all. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
    My cats are better than TV most of the time.
    The patriarch has a rap sheet with the state for biting, but helps raise his kittens, grandkittens, and new great-grandmother from the time they were born. About this time last year, he bit me three times for making him come back in while his GROWN son was still out. When I looked in to see where he was before opening the door, he was bathing one of the babies. He was holding her on her back between those giant mitts of his licking away. Also seen him cuff his errant adult son on the head for being gone three days and then wash a cut above his eye.
    The oldest son can open Temptation canisters, pop or screwtop. He's made the most like his dad except color, coal black with crossed green eyes instead of his dad's white with orange points and blue eyes.
    Middle son is a cry baby...who weighs twenty pounds and shredded one neighbor that tried to keep him. He's my goofball, but he adopted a kitten that list its mother when I brought her home at six weeks old. Cooing, teaching, protecting, washing, the whole bit.
    Youngest son is my full time indoor boy. Separation Anxiety ridden mommy's boy with a mishealed front leg. He and "Shorty" are hard on mice. He presents them to me and I pay him in treats. He eats while I toss! Fourteen pounds of pink (yes, he's a pale beige cream with a red or orange cast that makes him flesh colored. Simply put he's pink and was almost born on Valentine's Day. ) death diving through the air and scooping with his curved bad leg. He's also playing dad to his grandniece, much like he did her mother. People seemed shocked that my boys parent. They helped with younger siblings and got thumped by Dad for being too rough. To them, kittens are everyone's.
    Heh, 14 pounds of pink. Yes, indeed, kittens are everyone’s. Rock on, @W.W. Carlisle , and thank you for being here. <3
    I get the weird ones. We had one that was madly in love with poultry. Ever watched a cat herd chickens? Elmo inspected his chicken coops daily, going from house to house and any rat was dead on sight. Elmo (named from Tolkien not Sesame Street) even fell in with his ducks while they were swimming.
    His nephew had dwarfism and needed a sweater to play outside in cool weather. Varda and Vana would run out to play and Ulmo would peek out, decide it was too cold to suit him, come back and sit with his front feet up until you dressed him. Once the sweater was on and he had turned around so you could give it a tug down in the back, off he'd go, chasing after his sisters that made about six of him.
    One Irish Wolfhound thought he was a cat and the other stole a saddle from the neighbors.
    A snapping turtle would play hide and seek and a lizard that used to tease the cat into boinking his head on the terrarium.
    A duck and a Border Collie that had a feud for about two years.
    I raised an opossum on kitten formula and baby food. He was litter trained and hulled grapes before eating them and tossed the hulls in his litter tray.
    The cockatiel dealt with a mouse by learning to call the cat!
    Our parakeets have to have clips on all the doors, because they learned to escape by holding the sliding doors for each other. Bonnie and Clyde practically named themselves.
    My potbelly pig killed a raccoon for trying to get in his feed bowl. Mom jokingly offered him to a friend, if his new coon dog turned out to be a dud.
    I am no longer surprised by anything when it comes to the Gang.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    My potbelly pig killed a raccoon for trying to get in his feed bowl.

This seriously needs to be in your signature. It is glorious.
    Maury is a dude. He has a pen in the barn attached to a run outside and, normally, I just tell him "Bring me your pan" or "Flip it over. I can't put anything in it like that" and he brings it to me or turns it upright. I go out and the pan is inverted and he is refusing to flip it. I flip it with a how and, ta-da, there is a racoon what was pretty broken up under it. Maury got huffy seeing it again, so I had to toss it fast.
    Still not as funny as my first potbelly chasing a cat, who had stolen one of her graham crackers. Tippie always was a bit stupid. (She once killed a mouse by sitting on it, trying to nurse it like a kitten.) I have no idea why she wanted it, but she stole it out of the package. Babette reared up and grabbed the other end, yanking the cat down to her. Insert ten minute chase, idiot cat still carrying half a graham cracker! When she dropped it, Babs ate it and forgot about the cat. Sigh...Tippie.