Homeβ€Ί The Bridge

Crew Retrieval Introduction Discussion

Comments

• On a scale from 1 to 10 this is a 0.9 to me. It does nothing cool, it is overly complicated and even consumes the only currency we did not have to worry about after like one year of playing any more, making it an additional point of concern, along with all the new rubbish.

This is much worse than I could have imagined. Really, I hate it from front to back.

it seems like a new way to win free stuff. What am I missing?
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    The name "Crew retrieval" is confusing. Retrieve is to bring something back. As we have never owned these crew members, why is it called retrieval?
    It sounds like a way of bringing crew back from the freezer.
    (add emoji that makes you happiest)

I thought it was a way to retrieve a group of crew from the freezer.

I have no idea what it is now. I also have a headache.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its good that the number of scans needed per day has been reduced to one. This is the only thing that has stopped me from completing dailies on the very rare occasions I can only log in once on a day.

It is excellent that scans have become more useful. Although convoluted, scans reward crew, this is something that has been suggested in the past. It appears that crew can be retrieved with characteristics, this will help players fill gaps for voyages or events, or just getting the crew they want.

Will scans have a cooldown?
    e.g. can I scan several times in a few minutes, or will it be once every three hours as it is now.

I am unclear how fleet ISM is awarded.

Is it awarded to all players in a fleet, or just those who complete the dailies?

Is fleet ISM cumulative for the day?
    20 players =400 ISM
    30 players =300 ISM
    40 players =200 ISM

e.g. if 40 players complete dailies, are they all awarded a total of 900 ISM?
  • StephLovesVoyagerStephLovesVoyager ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing I'm worried about is the cost. For example, if it should take a top 100 rank in an event to get a legendary polestar and 50 scans to get a constellation, then for a lot of players the feature might as well not exist.

This is my (personal) concern too. I caught a bit of the Timelines Talks stream this morning, and to start with, I was excited about the fact that I could potentially narrow down the polestar/constellation combination to "retrieve" a Dominion DIP crew who can help me clear "Feed a Fever", but as the chat went on and the revelation was made that I could potentially only do that if I rank in events (which so far I've not been able to), I started to get a little disheartened.

Of course I will wait and see what it actually looks & plays like, but for now I'm cautious about getting too excited about it.
    Going boldly since April 2020 | My Datacore profile
  • On a scale from 1 to 10 this is a 0.9 to me. It does nothing cool, it is overly complicated and even consumes the only currency we did not have to worry about after like one year of playing any more, making it an additional point of concern, along with all the new rubbish.

This is much worse than I could have imagined. Really, I hate it from front to back.

A few things. It seems only ultimately useful for players who rank high in events. If you don’t rank high this feature is about as useful as a limited crew portal pack. Also it seems it will require more engagement with parts of the game you could usually ignore.

Hopefully they see this feedback and make some changes before launch
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will retrieving crew consume the polestars used in the retrieval or will they remain in your inventory?

I assume they'd be consumed or there'd be no point in keeping earning new ones .

This. It's a shame when the obvious has to posted, like it's a vision John the Revelator had......

πŸ––πŸ»πŸ––πŸΌπŸ––πŸ½πŸ––πŸΎπŸ––πŸΏπŸ––
    πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Do us all a favor and stop using a dozen emojis.

I like em. Keep doing ur emoji thing DScott. Emoji on! πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘
    Will retrieving crew consume the polestars used in the retrieval or will they remain in your inventory?

I assume they'd be consumed or there'd be no point in keeping earning new ones .

This. It's a shame when the obvious has to posted, like it's a vision John the Revelator had......

πŸ––πŸ»πŸ––πŸΌπŸ––πŸ½πŸ––πŸΎπŸ––πŸΏπŸ––
    πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Do us all a favor and stop using a dozen emojis.

I like em. Keep doing ur emoji thing DScott. Emoji on! πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘

I sit, corrected. πŸ––

I think it breaks up the long paragraphs of text. I don’t have a peregrine falcon emoji so I will give you some bald eagles that look cool. πŸ¦…πŸ¦…πŸ¦…πŸ¦…πŸ¦…πŸ¦…πŸ¦…
    Let’s fly!
  • dext74dext74 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The text explanation is... a lot to take in. I need a little time to digest that or see in action- it comes across as incredibly complicated but I'm hoping it makes more sense when actually doing it.

So not a new game mode of play, but a revamp of existing systems with a few new mechanics. I certainly can't be upset about scans FINALLY having some relevancy.

One thing I either missed or wasn't clear- I am pulling a behold or a straight drop when I use the polestars? Even with a narrowed down pool, or perhaps worse because of narrowing down by traits and features, I'm concerned about the idea of using a polestar only to get a fully fused/frozen behold and thus losing what sounds like a decently expensive/rare resource. Is there any protection to allow for a reroll or against fully fused drops?
  • I have a few questions off the top of my head...

Will this be for crew you don’t have yet only or will there also be the ability to add stars?

If so will the voyage and gauntlet exclusive crew be added to this feature after you get the first copy?

Will this be for all crew or only 5*’s?

Will you be able to get dupes? (not that I would :lol:)

I believe Gauntlet/Voyage crew are specifically listed as not included.....

It looks like there are rarity polestars available only through events so yes it is for all crew and not just 5*'s if I've read it right .
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that Shan said that they read our posts. I wonder if those posts even matter.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." β€” Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • StephLovesVoyagerStephLovesVoyager ✭✭✭✭✭
    dext74 wrote: Β»
    One thing I either missed or wasn't clear- I am pulling a behold or a straight drop when I use the polestars?

I believe it's a straight drop, but as I was listening to the TT stream and not watching it (driving to work), and I only caught a small bit of it, I can't say for sure. I don't remember hearing "BEHOLD!" nor did anyone mention having to pick from 3 options.
    Going boldly since April 2020 | My Datacore profile
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    W00T, only one scan for dailies! Didn't realize how happy this makes me until now.

From seeing the walkthrough on Talks, it seems to me everything depends on the availability of constellations. If they are rarer than 10-pull packs, this won't be much of an improvement.

I'm not thrilled with the ISM recharge rate. But maybe I'm just being pessimistic.

For anyone still not getting it from the written description, I'd watch the walkthrough. It's definitely a system you have to see, not read about, to get.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: Γ· Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 17hr, 20min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1546 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Cpt_insano_2k1Cpt_insano_2k1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a scale from 1 to 10 this is a 0.9 to me. It does nothing cool, it is overly complicated and even consumes the only currency we did not have to worry about after like one year of playing any more, making it an additional point of concern, along with all the new rubbish.

The game does not need free stuff. (Depending on the amount of credits needed it is not free btw.) The game needs content in the sense of something to do with the crew instead of getting even more.

I would have been sort of on board with some kind of trading as this would have freed up crew slots taken by dupes at least. Honor piΓ±ata is not my thing.

Maybe I just lack a white whale to get excited. I never had one and never will.

@TP: To name this "feature" in the same breath with voyages is just an insult.

Well said. I think its pretty fair to say that this feature is gonna fall pretty flat in its current form.

And I 100% agree that wrgbens mention that he was as excited about this feature as he was about voyages is just adorable. I mean, from a marketing standpoint if stt players are drunk enough to spend dilithium on this feature, then yeah i guess wrg could make a lot of money. Then they can buy more carharrts. Maybe thats why he was excited?
    On a scale from 1 to 10 this is a 0.9 to me. It does nothing cool, it is overly complicated and even consumes the only currency we did not have to worry about after like one year of playing any more, making it an additional point of concern, along with all the new rubbish.

The game does not need free stuff. (Depending on the amount of credits needed it is not free btw.) The game needs content in the sense of something to do with the crew instead of getting even more.

I would have been sort of on board with some kind of trading as this would have freed up crew slots taken by dupes at least. Honor piΓ±ata is not my thing.

Maybe I just lack a white whale to get excited. I never had one and never will.

@TP: To name this "feature" in the same breath with voyages is just an insult.

Well said. I think its pretty fair to say that this feature is gonna fall pretty flat in its current form.

And I 100% agree that wrgbens mention that he was as excited about this feature as he was about voyages is just adorable. I mean, from a marketing standpoint if stt players are drunk enough to spend dilithium on this feature, then yeah i guess wrg could make a lot of money. Then they can buy more carharrts. Maybe thats why he was excited?

Tone.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." β€” Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
    HaBlack wrote: Β»
    Even though I do agree with this
    The game needs content in the sense of something to do with the crew instead of getting even more.

and I would really like some mean to use more than 20 cards at any time, this is card collecting game after all. So another mean to get your favorite card is a good thing.

12 on voyage, <=12 on shuttles, Arena ... yup, 20 is about right. Traits matter more now, though, but the database limitation remains & the company uses that pinch point to make money on slots. C’est la vie.
    All we wanted was crew slots.

And re-rolls for beholds.

And something else to do with our crew :wink:

You fancy dreamer, you.