Home The Bridge
Options

Event Discussion Thread: Faction Event The First Hours - ME#1 -2021-04-01

Comments

• Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify mine, Auto's and Stars positions with the Devs. We ask them to do a Q&A, they come and do a Q&A. That's it. We don't have pull/sway and any kind of intention to alter the game based on our whims.
    If we did, this would be the least of our concerns. Auto does what a player does, point out that wow, his stats are bonkers, was this intentional? Because we know that they have a history with stat changes and the occasional error.
    So @Banjo1012 @BarnBurner @Trollita @Thurthorad please check your facts before you spread misinformation around because it isn't clever, it isn't productive and it certainly doesn't help the tone of these forums.

Hey, I was defending you! What part of my post do you object to?
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spent about 5 minutes troubleshooting new Federation shuttles, which were drawing from the normal pool and not applying event bonuses.

Thankfully I figured out it was s hybrid event before posting my bug report in the engineering section.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Spent about 5 minutes troubleshooting new Federation shuttles, which were drawing from the normal pool and not applying event bonuses.

Thankfully I figured out it was s hybrid event before posting my bug report in the engineering section.

Then you missed out on a few more.
    1. Before phase two, open all the shuttles you can for the faction event.
    2. Once next phase starts
    If you can hold off clicking anything on event you will still get the bonus crew stats as well as shared crew for seating.
    Otherwise, remember that the bonus specific crew base stats are tripled and the nonspecific bonus crew are doubled when seating the shuttles. You will not be able to use squadron leaders shared crew.
    3. Send those open faction shuttles until you use them all up or they run out of time.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    @W.W. Carlisle, here’s the Faction event shuttle math as I understand it. All base value, rolls don’t count.

When crew has skills that match seats:
    Score = 100% of highest base skill + 25% of lower base skill.
    Order does not matter (since the “and” stealth fix, which is another topic entirely that I won’t revisit here). If the crew only has 1 matching skill, then just the 100%.

Bonuses:
    “Small” bonus crew are Score x2.
    “Big” bonus crew (i.e., event crew) are Score x3.

Examples:
    Seat is CMD and SEC.
    Crew A Is CMD 1000, SEC 400.
    Crew B is SEC 800, CMD 500.
    Crew C is SEC 1200, MED 600.

Crew A is worth 1100 (no bonus), 2200 (small bonus), or 3300 (big bonus).
    Crew B is worth 925 (no bonus), 1850 (small), or 2775 (big).
    Crew C is worth 1200 (no bonus), 2400 (small), or 3600 (big).

There’s a separate question about how those numbers turn into the predicted success rates. Through trial and error, I worked out a formula that matches the on-screen prediction for 4000 vp shuttles. It uses the average of all scores on the shuttle (not the total of all scores), but I hesitate to share it since I don’t want to mislead anyone (or contradict the mathematicians in our midst). I don’t recall ever seeing the %success calculation spelled out by anyone. Suffice to say that a higher average score will produce higher %success, whether you send a 3-seater or a 5-seater. It’s just usually harder to get top percentages on a 5-seater because they are almost all single-skill seats (i.e., they lack the opportunity to get the second-skill 25% score boost).

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is wkere the wiki explains how success rate is calculated.

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Faction_Missions
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... apparently it’s been a while since I searched the wiki for faction mission info. Yep, that covers it. 🖖
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    So... apparently it’s been a while since I searched the wiki for faction mission info. Yep, that covers it. 🖖

It has been around for a while. I did not find easily, this time. I knew it was there took me a little while to find it though. Not sure it is the same location or not. Thought I remembered it pretty much taking up a whole page in the past
  • Options
    I love the idea of a Costumed mega event. Clearly a way to help people fill up the Costumed collection a bit.

What I don’t get is why two of the new cards for the costumed mega event, Barry and Chakotay, don’t have the costumed trait despite both 100% being in costume? Doesn’t seem to make sense.
  • Options
    I love the idea of a Costumed mega event. Clearly a way to help people fill up the Costumed collection a bit.

What I don’t get is why two of the new cards for the costumed mega event, Barry and Chakotay, don’t have the costumed trait despite both 100% being in costume? Doesn’t seem to make sense.

+1
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    WRG has made a decision that crew in the mega don’t have the mega trait. 🤷‍♂️

Keeps happening.
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭

+1

Since when does TP make sense? :/
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    But why give us cards of characters that are unquestionably in costume if they don’t want to give us new cards with the costumed trait?
  • Options
    CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Someone in disguise could be "costumed" or an "undercover operative". Disguised Tuvok is the former and and Disguised Kira is the latter, for instance. I'd say Barry is more akin to Kira.

Of course, Disguised Chakotay has both...
  • Options
    Calhoun wrote: »

Someone in disguise could be "costumed" or an "undercover operative". Disguised Tuvok is the former and and Disguised Kira is the latter, for instance. I'd say Barry is more akin to Kira.

If you’re undercover in a disguise, you’re necessarily in costume
  • Options
    [GoT] LuckyNumberHat[GoT] LuckyNumberHat ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Even just reading that, there's clearly something not true about it. I mean, I'm sure you could find one of many dictionary definitions that would back up that very particular explanation, but there's something that seems inherently off about that. Costume has an implication of being either recreational or at least thematic. Without bothering to look at who actually has the traits at the moment, it makes sense to say that Victorian Pulaski is in a costume. She's dressed in a particular fashion to reflect the era she's engaging with recreationally. Undercover O'Brien is not in a costume. He's dressed as a regular person. There's no particular aesthetics to it, he's just dressed as no one in particular.

Mintaken Troi and Riker are the grey area to me. They aren't engaging in recreation and they are just trying to blend in, but they are dressed in a very particular fashion to do so. VIrtuoso Doctor is the other end of the grey area. He's certainly dressed to fit an aesthetic and for recreation, but there's no intent to take on a certain persona or evoke any particular group or time period. He's also certainly not attempting to hide who he is or pretend he's anyone else.

I think it really is fair to say there's room for debate and judgement on when someone is or is not "Costumed". That really stinks here since consistency would be appreciated and is further muddied by the fact that sometimes it could just be an Oversight™.

Fun fact: To give WRG an easy out on a real logjam in this debate, I realized while watching "A Simple Investigation" that it appears it could make sense to have Falcon O'Brien as the only one with the Costumed trait (besides Bashir, Julian Bashir and Garak, Elim Garak) given that he is the only person to appear in that role outside of the transporter accident in "Our Man Bashir." Falcon O'Brien could in fact be the Chief willingly (kind of) playing the role of Falcon here, not just a hologram with the Chief's image.

Of course, that would be dumb and clearly just a pedantic justification to something that is obviously an inconsistency that deserves correction.
  • Options

Even just reading that, there's clearly something not true about it.

And yet, it is true. If you’re in disguise undercover, you’re pretending to be someone you’re not. You’re dressed in an outfit to affect a new persona. It’s a costume.

• Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭

And yet, it is true. If you’re in disguise undercover, you’re pretending to be someone you’re not. You’re dressed in an outfit to affect a new persona. It’s a costume.

I look at "costumed" to be more along the lines of playing make believe. Dressing like another character in a holodeck is what comes to mind most readily, when the outfit is essentially a prop. Another way to look at it is that costumed characters would be fine having their real name in the by-line: Data as Scrooge, Kira as Guinevere, Barclay as Cyrano, TNG crew as naval officers, etc... For me, RAF O'Brien is a costumed character.

I look at "undercover operative" as somebody posing as somebody else, assuming a new identity. They don't want to be recognized and would definitely not want their true identify acknowledged in a by-line: Galen, Romulan Data, etc... For me, Undercover O'Brien is an undercover operative.

I can't think of any trek characters that should have both traits. An example of a situation that would call for both traits is if Galen had to dress up like a chicken during a heist being pulled off by the mercenary crew he was serving with. That would be Picard undercover as Galen, with Galen (the undercover identity) being costumed.

There are definitely several inconsistencies of how these traits are handled in the game.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Webberoni wrote: »

I look at "costumed" to be more along the lines of playing make believe. Dressing like another character in a holodeck is what comes to mind most readily, when the outfit is essentially a prop. Another way to look at it is that costumed characters would be fine having their real name in the by-line: Data as Scrooge, Kira as Guinevere, Barclay as Cyrano, TNG crew as naval officers, etc... For me, RAF O'Brien is a costumed character.

I look at "undercover operative" as somebody posing as somebody else, assuming a new identity. They don't want to be recognized and would definitely not want their true identify acknowledged in a by-line: Galen, Romulan Data, etc... For me, Undercover O'Brien is an undercover operative.

I can't think of any trek characters that should have both traits. An example of a situation that would call for both traits is if Galen had to dress up like a chicken during a heist being pulled off by the mercenary crew he was serving with. That would be Picard undercover as Galen, with Galen (the undercover identity) being costumed.

There are definitely several inconsistencies of how these traits are handled in the game.

Agreed. I think the best two words to use are costume vs disguise. A costume is when people know who you are but you have different clothing on to pretend to be someone/something else. A disguise is when you don't want people to know who you are. Undercover Operatives by definition are in disguise. I would argue that the Niners should not have costume either. They are wearing a uniform or clothing for playing baseball, they are not in a costume. It's no different than Klingon Worf or Raquetball Bashir. Sisko showing up to the station Halloween party as Buck Bocai would be costumed.

Agreed. Good point on the Niners team NOT being costumed. They are wearing a uniform for their team, no different than when they are wearing their Starfleet uniforms. Kira wearing her Niners jersey is not the same as her being costumed to play the role of Guinevere.
  • Options

Agreed. I think the best two words to use are costume vs disguise. A costume is when people know who you are but you have different clothing on to pretend to be someone/something else. A disguise is when you don't want people to know who you are. Undercover Operatives by definition are in disguise. I would argue that the Niners should not have costume either. They are wearing a uniform or clothing for playing baseball, they are not in a costume. It's no different than Klingon Worf or Raquetball Bashir. Sisko showing up to the station Halloween party as Buck Bocai would be costumed.

"Public opinion seems to be running against you." -Garak
  • Options

Agreed. Good point on the Niners team NOT being costumed. They are wearing a uniform for their team, no different than when they are wearing their Starfleet uniforms. Kira wearing her Niners jersey is not the same as her being costumed to play the role of Guinevere.

Though I agree about this as well (sports uniforms are not costumes), I didn't want the pitchforks behind taking away traits. :D
  • Options
    I can't think of any trek characters that should have both traits.

Whether he actually has them in game or not, Dixon Hill? He is Picard in a costume, but Dixon Hill is a PI, who certainly operates undercover? A bit of stretch, but as close as I came up with.

• Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't think of any trek characters that should have both traits.

Whether he actually has them in game or not, Dixon Hill? He is Picard in a costume, but Dixon Hill is a PI, who certainly operates undercover? A bit of stretch, but as close as I came up with.

Personally I'd assign 'costumed' to the Dixon Hill characters, rather than being undercover. For me it still comes down to somebody playing a role in a fictional recreation. If he called himself Dixon Hill and dressed the part to infiltrate some Orion syndicate in real life, than that would be an undercover operative. I think this is a whole exercise in futility though. lol
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Public opinion on these discussion tends to only care about increasing the number of crew to fill the collection. If you want to advocate making a collection easier, by all means, be up front and advocate for making the collection easier. But don't claim you really care about what is/isn't costumed when your true desire is the collection.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭

Public opinion on these discussion tends to only care about increasing the number of crew to fill the collection. If you want to advocate making a collection easier, by all means, be up front and advocate for making the collection easier. But don't claim you really care about what is/isn't costumed when your true desire is the collection.

I would question why players that want to have a discussion about taking away traits would do so in the game forum where their convo could actually make that happen instead of privately chatting elsewhere. #keepthecostumed
    Let’s fly!