Home The Bridge
Options

Event Discussion Thread: Faction Event The First Hours - ME#1 -2021-04-01

123457»

Comments

• Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for the Niners, I would say Sisko and Jake may be in uniform, but it is a costume for everyone else.
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Calhoun wrote: »

What I don’t get is why two of the new cards for the costumed mega event, Barry and Chakotay, don’t have the costumed trait despite both 100% being in costume? Doesn’t seem to make sense.

Someone in disguise could be "costumed" or an "undercover operative". Disguised Tuvok is the former and and Disguised Kira is the latter, for instance. I'd say Barry is more akin to Kira.

Of course, Disguised Chakotay has both...

If you’re undercover in a disguise, you’re necessarily in costume

Even just reading that, there's clearly something not true about it.

And yet, it is true. If you’re in disguise undercover, you’re pretending to be someone you’re not. You’re dressed in an outfit to affect a new persona. It’s a costume.
    Webberoni wrote: »

What I don’t get is why two of the new cards for the costumed mega event, Barry and Chakotay, don’t have the costumed trait despite both 100% being in costume? Doesn’t seem to make sense.

Someone in disguise could be "costumed" or an "undercover operative". Disguised Tuvok is the former and and Disguised Kira is the latter, for instance. I'd say Barry is more akin to Kira.

And yet, it is true. If you’re in disguise undercover, you’re pretending to be someone you’re not. You’re dressed in an outfit to affect a new persona. It’s a costume.

I look at "costumed" to be more along the lines of playing make believe. Dressing like another character in a holodeck is what comes to mind most readily, when the outfit is essentially a prop. Another way to look at it is that costumed characters would be fine having their real name in the by-line: Data as Scrooge, Kira as Guinevere, Barclay as Cyrano, TNG crew as naval officers, etc... For me, RAF O'Brien is a costumed character.

I look at "undercover operative" as somebody posing as somebody else, assuming a new identity. They don't want to be recognized and would definitely not want their true identify acknowledged in a by-line: Galen, Romulan Data, etc... For me, Undercover O'Brien is an undercover operative.

I can't think of any trek characters that should have both traits. An example of a situation that would call for both traits is if Galen had to dress up like a chicken during a heist being pulled off by the mercenary crew he was serving with. That would be Picard undercover as Galen, with Galen (the undercover identity) being costumed.

There are definitely several inconsistencies of how these traits are handled in the game.
    AviTrek wrote: »

I look at "costumed" to be more along the lines of playing make believe. Dressing like another character in a holodeck is what comes to mind most readily, when the outfit is essentially a prop. Another way to look at it is that costumed characters would be fine having their real name in the by-line: Data as Scrooge, Kira as Guinevere, Barclay as Cyrano, TNG crew as naval officers, etc... For me, RAF O'Brien is a costumed character.

I look at "undercover operative" as somebody posing as somebody else, assuming a new identity. They don't want to be recognized and would definitely not want their true identify acknowledged in a by-line: Galen, Romulan Data, etc... For me, Undercover O'Brien is an undercover operative.

I can't think of any trek characters that should have both traits. An example of a situation that would call for both traits is if Galen had to dress up like a chicken during a heist being pulled off by the mercenary crew he was serving with. That would be Picard undercover as Galen, with Galen (the undercover identity) being costumed.

There are definitely several inconsistencies of how these traits are handled in the game.

Agreed. I think the best two words to use are costume vs disguise. A costume is when people know who you are but you have different clothing on to pretend to be someone/something else. A disguise is when you don't want people to know who you are. Undercover Operatives by definition are in disguise. I would argue that the Niners should not have costume either. They are wearing a uniform or clothing for playing baseball, they are not in a costume. It's no different than Klingon Worf or Raquetball Bashir. Sisko showing up to the station Halloween party as Buck Bocai would be costumed.

"Public opinion seems to be running against you." -Garak

Public opinion on these discussion tends to only care about increasing the number of crew to fill the collection. If you want to advocate making a collection easier, by all means, be up front and advocate for making the collection easier. But don't claim you really care about what is/isn't costumed when your true desire is the collection.

Not sure if that's targeted at me or the person claiming all disguises are costumes, but you'll see from my other comments that my arguments would actually be narrowing the definition of costume. To be honest, I would much rather have it be consistent than inherently favor completing the collection. WRG can always add more accessible crew to do that.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    🍿
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    🍿

Looks like I pulled an April Fool's joke on myself by forgetting to stay off the forum. Serves me right!
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    No one talked about holograms In regards to holograms. I would say that a hologram can be in costume, similar to the above discussion. So if a hologram goes to a costume ball donning a costume, then it to is wearing a costume. But if it is just in its clothing for the holoprogram it is not in costume,

I came to same conclusion that the Niners are just wearing their uniform and are not in costume.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    No one talked about holograms In regards to holograms. I would say that a hologram can be in costume, similar to the above discussion. So if a hologram goes to a costume ball donning a costume, then it to is wearing a costume. But if it is just in its clothing for the holoprogram it is not in costume,

I came to same conclusion that the Niners are just wearing their uniform and are not in costume.

It is a costume because they are putting on something to wear on the Holodeck.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭

But by that logic all Starfleet officers should be costumed. I think the key difference is uniform (ie: Starfleet, Niners) vs costume (ie: Guinevere, Cyrano). Uniforms are for you to do your thing (work, sports), whereas costumes help you pretend you're somebody else to have fun.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭

But by that logic all Starfleet officers should be costumed. I think the key difference is uniform (ie: Starfleet, Niners) vs costume (ie: Guinevere, Cyrano). Uniforms are for you to do your thing (work, sports), whereas costumes help you pretend you're somebody else to have fun.

No because they are not putting on their uniforms specifically to go to the Holodeck. When Kira puts on her Guinevere outfit she does it specifically for the Holodeck program, same with their Niners outfits.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding niners Kira, she is in uniform. She would be in costume if she was pretending to be some player (let's say playing the part recreating a famous game, for example)
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    That was crazy. I lost 4 spaces in the last 9 seconds.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    That was crazy. I lost 4 spaces in the last 9 seconds.

Above 700k for top 1500 in a faction event. How often has this been going on. This one was near 720k.

Edit: 725k was 1492
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Nice event. 😊

Just imagine the competition and revenue if TP hadn t nerfed Saru‘s stats. 😉

Big chance left on the floor for TP to make big cash.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•