Home The Bridge
Options

Reunion Spock and Kirk in Elusive Treasures?!

Comments

• Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    You still have to throw a lot of money and/or dilithium to get RKS and/or you have to be very lucky.
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    IceCat wrote: »
    I took an indefinite hiatus from the forums for the last 4 months.

THIS specifically caused me to come back.

It is absolutely ridiculous that this company continues to do this kind of thing. I'm not sure how anyone at TP could be surprised by the backlash.

I personally spent a lot of resources to guarantee myself a copy of the FTP Spock in the event. Specifically for the purpose of fusing the card. I then spent a significant amount of dilithium to get the Anxious Kirk to 4/4 in order to create the fused version.

For bonus points, the one time I wanted to use the Double The Crew, in order to have a standalone FTP Spock, it didn't give me the option to. I got lies and excuses from the customer service in response to that. So, that whole experience left a sour taste in my mouth regarding this crew. But, I digress.

I then spent 4 citations to get the immortalised Reunion version. I wanted to be one of a small few number of players with this super powerful crew.

I did all of this with the expectation that this crew would remain exclusive to those willing to go through these steps. As has always been the case for any fusion card.

To find out that this isn't the case is infuriating. To devalue the card, but making it this much easier to get, is beyond the pale. Spin it however you want, but there's no excuse for this. "Trying something new" doesn't cut it.

At this point, I have lost all faith in TP to not change fundamental parts of this game on a whim. To know that any advantages gained from working to get these types of crew can be wiped out in an instant doesn't sit well with me (and obviously many others).

People spent a great deal of time and resources (and in some cases, real money) to get this crew. An exclusive crew, with the knowledge it wouldn't be available any other way. Exclusive crew should be just that. Otherwise, they aren't exclusive.

To suddenly change this is unethical at best, and borderline fraudulent at worst. How anyone at TP could have thought this was a good idea is beyond me. 🤦🏻‍♂️

This feels much worse than a lot of the other incidents that has gotten this forum into torches and pitchforks mode. At least most of those were accidents. This was clearly intentional, with the goal to entice people to spend more to get this card. What a slap in the face to anyone who already did.

You are giving them too much credit that it was intentional. It was likely an error that was too late to correct and/or to be bothered to correct. The curt response "trying something new" is disingenuous and did nothing but rile people up more. I am sure they are in "crisis mode" (again) over this trying to figure out what to do.
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭

At some point, willful ignorance and lack of oversight does become intentional. Choices are being made, at some level of management/ownership, that continue to allow things like this to happen.

Whether it's incompetence or maliciously done is almost irrelevant. The end result is the same.

Agreed. Ignorance no longer works as a defense for a lack of quality control, especially when ignorance of quality control would appear to be a systemic issue.

“A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean it's still low chance that you get them.
  • Options
    IceCatIceCat ✭✭✭✭✭
    KPan [ISA] wrote: »
    The odds of getting Spork from the pack is not what's causing an issue. It's the bait and switch with the exclusive nature of the way the card was originally offered.
    This would be like if they put a voyage exclusive crew into a pack (even one with a large pool of cards) after saving 30+ voyage tokens and doing a full 3 day voyage to aquire that crew. You saved, played and spent in a way based on the parameters WRG established, only to have the credibility of the original offer thrown away in favor of another money making opportunity. It's sketchy.

Exactly this.

The odds of it happening are irrelevant. The principle is the point.

If TP said tomorrow, there was a 1% chance you could lose a Gold crew, every time you sent it on a voyage, you'd be furious. That would be a fundamental change to the game, and not how Gold crew are supposed to be treated.

This isn't any different. Replace Gold with fusion and lose with get, and you can probably see my point.
  • Options
    I took an indefinite hiatus from the forums for the last 4 months.

THIS specifically caused me to come back.

It is absolutely ridiculous that this company continues to do this kind of thing. I'm not sure how anyone at TP could be surprised by the backlash.

I personally spent a lot of resources to guarantee myself a copy of the FTP Spock in the event. Specifically for the purpose of fusing the card. I then spent a significant amount of dilithium to get the Anxious Kirk to 4/4 in order to create the fused version.

For bonus points, the one time I wanted to use the Double The Crew, in order to have a standalone FTP Spock, it didn't give me the option to. I got lies and excuses from the customer service in response to that. So, that whole experience left a sour taste in my mouth regarding this crew. But, I digress.

I then spent 4 citations to get the immortalised Reunion version. I wanted to be one of a small few number of players with this super powerful crew.

I did all of this with the expectation that this crew would remain exclusive to those willing to go through these steps. As has always been the case for any fusion card.

To find out that this isn't the case is infuriating. To devalue the card, but making it this much easier to get, is beyond the pale. Spin it however you want, but there's no excuse for this. "Trying something new" doesn't cut it.

At this point, I have lost all faith in TP to not change fundamental parts of this game on a whim. To know that any advantages gained from working to get these types of crew can be wiped out in an instant doesn't sit well with me (and obviously many others).

People spent a great deal of time and resources (and in some cases, real money) to get this crew. An exclusive crew, with the knowledge it wouldn't be available any other way. Exclusive crew should be just that. Otherwise, they aren't exclusive.

To suddenly change this is unethical at best, and borderline fraudulent at worst. How anyone at TP could have thought this was a good idea is beyond me. 🤦🏻‍♂️

This feels much worse than a lot of the other incidents that has gotten this forum into torches and pitchforks mode. At least most of those were accidents. This was clearly intentional, with the goal to entice people to spend more to get this card. What a slap in the face to anyone who already did.

TP should sit up and take note when one of their most ardent defenders (welcome back, Icecat) turns on them. When you start losing people who have staunchly defended you over the years you know the game is up.

Personally, having thought about it over a couple of days, this isn't in the same league as the Polywater Yar bait and switch, but it is close.
  • Options
    (A) Traveling Man(A) Traveling Man ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    These are the types of responses that encourage a company that is making greedy decisions to continue to make them.

This is another example in a long line of bad decisions. Your advice of "not getting bothered by it" only serves to let the mistakes and bad decisions continue. Truthfully people like you need to keep in mind that shan said she welcomed feedback. They didn't say "we welcome feedback but we are hoping that our loyalists will give all the nay sayers a good thrashing and finger wag".

the part of your post that is most disturbing is this one "Hell, it's a mistake, and should never happen again...."
    I promise you that it will happen again. and again. and again. As long as there are people like you that try to justify and rationalize this company's greed and lack of understanding of not only its players, but the game itself. The people running this game are completely out of touch with how it is played. Its a tremendous problem.

These are the types of responses that encourage a company that is making greedy decisions to continue to make them.

This is another example in a long line of bad decisions. Your advice of "not getting bothered by it" only serves to let the mistakes and bad decisions continue. Truthfully people like you need to keep in mind that shan said she welcomed feedback. They didn't say "we welcome feedback but we are hoping that our loyalists will give all the nay sayers a good thrashing and finger wag".

the part of your post that is most disturbing is this one "Hell, it's a mistake, and should never happen again...."
    I promise you that it will happen again. and again. and again. As long as there are people like you that try to justify and rationalize this company's greed and lack of understanding of not only its players, but the game itself. The people running this game are completely out of touch with how it is played. Its a tremendous problem.

Really, no part of my post was "disturbing" - again, a massive overreaction. And my response wouldn't encourage them to keep making greedy decisions. The only thing that does that is having people give them money. When everyone posted their manifestos during Tantrumgate, and threatened to leave the game - how many people actually did? Very, very, very few. They know it means nothing, it just makes things uncomfortable on the forums for a little while.

That's the equation right there - pay them, or don't. Posting manifestos online about a game just shows them you care enough to get upset. If anything, that tells them more that they will "get away with it."

It isn't a crime - it is a mistake. Maybe intentional, maybe not, but at the end of the day, it doesn't mean anything. If they put all of the fusions in the portal - that still wouldn't make me quit the game. I can dislike something and not run screaming for the nearest soapbox.

Eventually, they may do something I don't like enough to make me stop spending money, and make me stop playing the game. I can guarantee when that time comes - I won't stop here along the way and spend an hour writing about it.

There is a way to voice displeasure at a decision you don't like without blowing it out of proportion. People's reaction to this make it seem like an actual crime was committed. It wasn't. It just devalued something that time was going to devalue eventually.

CABTools.app
    Ov (Overall) | Vo (Voyage) | Fa (Faction) | Ga (Gauntlet)
    Sb (Ship Battle) | Bt (Boss Battle Traits) | Co (Collection) | (Cd (Cadet)
  • Options
    TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    Kanon wrote: »
    The moral of the story: Never use money in this game (I'm guilty of not following this rule, but stuff like this #ReunionGate is a slap in the face to remind me of what I should have learned a long time ago)

This is a truth. At the end of the day all the Elusive Treasures did for me was stress an already tight crew inventory with crew I wasn’t even really wanting. Granted, if I had known chances for Kira were NOT increased (despite the misleading art) I would have passed and hoped an Anxious Kirk opportunity would have popped up in a more reliable way. I don’t think anybody would complain if he were a threshhold reward in a few months or so. Slow and steady with a spark of good luck now and then seems to be the way I should play, with optional monthly passes or a campaign here and there. Decreased real-money investment would certainly get me to stop complaining about a lot of things.
  • Options
    (A) Traveling Man(A) Traveling Man ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    That is why people are so mad. This isn't a one off oops or mistake. It keeps happening.

When profits trump principles, there is a huge fundamental problem. And it can not be ignored, nor should people remain silent.

Not at all - it isn't a personal attack. It's a discussion. I get why people react the way they do. I just don't think it is particularly effective, and it does more harm than good.

The thing is - these kind of threads don't actually do anything but make the forums an unbearable place for the other users who aren't as upset. Maybe gives the mod team a little more work. But I don't think they are a catalyst for any kind of change at all.

Money motivates things like this, and that's all there is to it. The only way to stop it is to stop giving it to them. If an action results in them making less money - they will stop doing it. Nothing else matters. The long posts are completely ineffective. It comes off as ranting. To me, I think this statement would be far more effective:

"I am disappointed that Reunion Spock and Kirk was made available in the Exclusive Treasures pack already fused. Fusion is an important mechanic in the game, and it devalued the resources I put into getting that crew just a couple of short months ago. Things like this make me not want to play the game anymore."

I can't argue with that statement at all, and is actually MORE likely to be read and listened to by the powers-that-be. And it doesn't turn into a "thing" that poisons the online community here for a while.

When people post those long rants, threatening to quit - and never do... well, it just makes them all the less likely to listen to what you have to say.

CABTools.app
    Ov (Overall) | Vo (Voyage) | Fa (Faction) | Ga (Gauntlet)
    Sb (Ship Battle) | Bt (Boss Battle Traits) | Co (Collection) | (Cd (Cadet)
  • Options
    RoykirkRoykirk ✭✭✭
    ...The thing is - these kind of threads don't actually do anything but make the forums an unbearable place for the other users who aren't as upset. Maybe gives the mod team a little more work. But I don't think they are a catalyst for any kind of change at all...

I've found this entire thread to be actually pretty-well-behaved as opposed to others in the past that were utter s***shows. Personal attacks are pretty much non-existent, and arguments are well-founded. I'm pretty sure that the thoughts here will be taken under advisement moreso than they would in other threads about a huge TP mistake.

"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?!'" - Chris Knight

Moderator of r/startrektimelines
    Fleet - Inner Planets Alliance Fleet of Pubs
    Captain Level - 99
    Player since - May 2016
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    This is a great example of one of those things that is a terrible idea, but I just don't think is worth getting bothered by.

I still got great use out of the card by spending the resources to get it finished early - same as any new Gold card. This addition negates none of that.

It's really not that big a deal, and not worth getting worked up over at the end of the day. Hell, it's a mistake, and should never happen again - but it is a mistake that is going to permit a few people to get that card a little easier than they ordinarily would. It is still damned hard to get cards now with over 1,000 crew, and it still is harder to pull that card now than it was when we all originally fused it up.

I don't think it was a good call to include myself, but I am not bothered by it. Cheers to anyone who gets it to drop - it's a good score.

I can certainly understand this point of view. And, in the grand scheme of things, it is a smaller issue.

What bothers me about it is that standards have been set by TP/WRG, and the company through accident, intention, or indifference, finds ways to violate its own standards. If you want to place fusion-required characters in those packs, then say so ahead of time and stick with that standard… problem solved.

I get that no system is infallible and mistakes will happen; however, I am left to ponder just how difficult it is to have effective quality control so such issues do not persist? It appears to me at least, that these issues happen more often then they ought to (and that could be my own personal bias).

And I get that “bother” is relative to the individual. Different strokes for different folks and all that. This platform exists for feedback/ discussion and our thoughts have all hopefully been noted.

Yes, devaluation does happen, as it does with many things. The steak I ate for dinner certainly lost value this morning at about 8AM. I understand that point, and still feel the ends do not justify the means.

In the end, all anyone has is his, her, or their own word. I wish those in charge would do a better job of keeping it… or alter the standard (simply saying that such characters will be available in the portal later).

I do like your later response on how to frame constructive feedback, and as long as people don’t get jerky about it, I don’t see any harm in people expressing their concerns. I certainly know this is not the hill to die on, far from it. Not that I have strong emotions about the topic, but for some the process of the Forums can be a benefit in writing out those concerns…as long as it doesn’t fly apart in a Five Alarm Dumpster Fire.

I have appreciated reading posts from you and IceCat.

LLAP
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I won't elaborate on my rationale - others have stated it well enough already in this thread. Just mark me down in the "I don't like it" camp.
    FTP - yes.
    AK - yes.
    RSK - no.
    My thought exactly. FRP Spock and Anxious Kirk are ok in this pack, one is event reward, the other is from a pack that like others (I think) will eventually end up in the portal. RSK is fusion crew, that doesn't belong there, and it's not that we don't want anyone else to ever have the card: If you pull FTP and AK and fuse them, that's perfectly fine. Work for them like everyone else back then. The problem right now is that people are getting RSK Spock way easier than those that were encouraged to play hard and then pay (some could be, and I'm sure are, getting him for free from the termporary achievement pull!)
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bunch of players are talking about how it is unfair because people had to fight hard in an event. While that is true it is not the whole story. A pack had to be bought and there had to be luck with that. I worked hard in the event to get two copies of Spock and wanted to make two RSK copies but only one copy of Kirk dropped for me in the nine packs I bought of the six pack. I have heard from other players that the Kirk didn’t drop for, didn’t understand that the Kirk was needed, or that the Kirk pack wouldn’t come back. Or players that couldn’t place in the event due to all the things going on we have had to deal with this year. Since a pack was needed to make RSK I have no problem with an expensive Elusive Treasures pack having the completed RSK. I doubt many players got one from this ET pack so the percentage of players with it has not increased much. I bought five and didn’t see any RSK or Anxious Kirk. Could probably buy another five and not see it. I would not have bought more than 1 if RSK and Kirk weren’t in the pool of cards for it. It is still an exclusive card few players have and your event work is still paying off.

Your post is not the whole story, it seems more like political spin to me. From what I recall about the anxious kirk pack, many, many, MANY packs were bought to acquire anxious kirk in an attempt to get a RSK fuse, because WRG widely published the stats and everyone was fired up about a new tier 1 crew.

The "whole story", as you say, is that at some point FTP spock and anxious kirk will be added to the portal, probably with the next update. and at that point, RSK will be fusable in the traditional sense. the probability of getting either of those crew in a behold/begold will be extremely low, which is what I assumed would be the case when I worked to acquire FTP spock from a bloodbath of an event, and dumped dilithium to get anxious kirk from a pack.

The availability of a fully fused card in elusive treasures is nothing but a money grab and a slap in the face for the people who acquired the necessary components in the manner that was advertised.

Your argument just strengthens mine. Packs had to be bought to get the Anxious Kirk to make RSK and now they are selling packs again. Both are money grabs. Many things are in a game that can only exist by selling items and crew. That is the nature of most mobile games. It was not even necessary to rank in the event to get the Spock as he was sold in packs as well so the argument people had to place high in the event to get RSK is not accurate.

Nothing is exclusive forever and these crew will be entered into the portal to be retrieved at some future point. WRG will probably have a Spock and Kirk pack at some point too. We play events to get crew immediately not exclusively.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    The odds of getting one is against you. Like being mad 1 person out of the entire player base may have gotten one from their achievement pull. More likely that someone had to get 4 Kirk's and a Spock to merge.
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    The odds of getting one is against you. Like being mad 1 person out of the entire player base may have gotten one from their achievement pull. More likely that someone had to get 4 Kirk's and a Spock to merge.

There are 41 legendaries in the pack, so the chance of getting a Faltor Spock
    or a Reunion Spock and Kirk are EXACTLY the same.

1:41 isn t a bad chance either if u do a 10x pull with a guaranteed
    new legendary.
    Plus, when u get the leg behold there can be 3 options
    of a new legendary, which even increases the chance to see a Reunion Spork. 😉
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
This discussion has been closed.