Home The Bridge
Options

Midweek Event Unleashed - feedback thread

Comments

• Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    I've got 12 empty spots in my fleet and some players that haven't been on in almost six months. The few regular players have been quiet lately. I know one is playing, but not chatting. He's in Eastern Europe. I worry. Another has new twins. A third had several deaths in the family and a new job he moved for. Most of mine either aren't playing anyway or will just do what they can.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The objective event hasn't even begun and I've already got a player in my fleet who's about to quit the game over it. Exactly no one in my fleet's looking forward to it. I've been helping our people for years get the most of the game within their budgets, & I've just given a pep talk on how to do it this week. I'm level 99 & I've spent a lot of money on this game in my time...my 6th anniversary's 3 months away. But this event's going to be tough.

I've heard about ads to win back players who have left the game. Might be a good time to start prepping another one.

If someone is prepared to quit the game over this then they are half way out the door anyway…..I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

I think WRG agrees with you
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Level Two Excelsior. No Crew. Do not hit "AUTO" when I do my nightly battles.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    What's the difference in paying 390 - 600 dil for a pack?

Now you get a premium pack, a SR citation and some extra rewards.
  • Options
    Well this all but ensures that I'm not going to bother will it. This turns from "free to play" to "pay to play". Dilithium value per item shouldn't be a consideration but time and effort involved. We add in the Daily pass, quantum pass, 2 layers of campaigns and now objectives designed to use that dilithium for and all frozen begold and a cite on one of the many useless super rare crew we have...
    Not that I'm saying monetisation is the devil, we understand that, but more that the balance of give and take has to be on an acceptable level and I can share many of the communities frustrations that we have had nothing but various methods of extracting dilithium instead of productivity.

Correction: 3 layers of campaigns. Check the in-game mail for the next one starting in 9d.
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    Well this all but ensures that I'm not going to bother will it. This turns from "free to play" to "pay to play". Dilithium value per item shouldn't be a consideration but time and effort involved. We add in the Daily pass, quantum pass, 2 layers of campaigns and now objectives designed to use that dilithium for and all frozen begold and a cite on one of the many useless super rare crew we have...
    Not that I'm saying monetisation is the devil, we understand that, but more that the balance of give and take has to be on an acceptable level and I can share many of the communities frustrations that we have had nothing but various methods of extracting dilithium instead of productivity.

Correction: 3 layers of campaigns. Check the in-game mail for the next one starting in 9d.

He means 2 layers paying.
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    Peets wrote: »
    What's the difference in paying 390 - 600 dil for a pack?

Now you get a premium pack, a SR citation and some extra rewards.

Obviously the difference is the RNG component. Some bad gauntlet rolls or ship crits and now you're forced to pay premium currency if you want what the lucky players get for free.

They should keep threshold rewards for weekly events locked and let you roll a dice at the end of the event. If you roll a 1, 2, or 3, you can have the threshold rewards. If you roll a 4, 5, or 6, you must pay 300 dilithium to receive the rewards that you already put the time in for. That sounds like a fun element of risk/reward to me and a 3/4 purple crew is totally worth 300 dil. That's a bargain for what you're getting and if you're lucky, you might get them for free!

I agree, it would be even better if they managed to remove the RNG and make it skill based.
    But I don't have much faith that it will happen.
  • Options
    Dangevin [CAB]Dangevin [CAB] ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
  • Options
    Dangevin [CAB]Dangevin [CAB] ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Peets wrote: »
    They should keep threshold rewards for weekly events locked and let you roll a dice at the end of the event. If you roll a 1, 2, or 3, you can have the threshold rewards. If you roll a 4, 5, or 6, you must pay 300 dilithium to receive the rewards that you already put the time in for. That sounds like a fun element of risk/reward to me and a 3/4 purple crew is totally worth 300 dil. That's a bargain for what you're getting and if you're lucky, you might get them for free!

I agree, it would be even better if they managed to remove the RNG and make it skill based.
    But I don't have much faith that it will happen.

ntx94q0s425e.png
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Shan wrote: »
    For instance, the completion reward for this event is a 4* citation, the dilithium value for that item is much more than the potential dilithium a player might need to spend to complete all objectives.

That does not mean of course that we might not need to do some tweaking/balancing on our end :)

And thank you for keeping this thread productive - it is great :)

A 4* citation is not worth a lot to a seasoned player.

You're mistaken. A 4* Citation is worth quite a lot. In some ways its worth more than a 5* Citation.

A 5* can effectively be fused by spending honour or quantum. You can do the same for a 4* but let's face it, that's a highly inefficient use of resources. A single 5* will often have more value than a 4* who's usually just occupying space till it can be safely shown the freezer.

You can get additional 4*s from other means but a seasoned player will not often get the 4*'s they need. Its not unusual for me to get only a single 4* card per month. Getting a bonus citation gives me the flexibility to be frivolous in my choices. For example, I've had a Flustered Reno sitting at 2/4 for months. Unlike most 4*'s she's actually useful because of collection value. I could've used my monthly campaign citation on her but I prefer to use this for 4*s not in the portal (yes, Kaplan is getting my current citation). So I just (im)patiently wait for her to drop from Voyage or whatever pack's I'm able to get for free out of the game.

PS If I get additional 4* citations, I'm probably giving it to my 0/4 Heist Bashir. More likely I'm giving it to the next 3/4* from this month's mystery Skirmish.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    The sad part is that the best selling feature of a 4* citation is so we can immortalize a hard-earned 3/4 crew from a faction/skirmish event and freeze them. New crew have 4 days of usefulness, before becoming entirely useless.

Collections are a thing and there's always future events. I have noticed that new Skirmish/Faction crew have sometimes been less useful than new Galaxy crew which is a bit obnoxious.
    The addition of Objective Events (excluding this week) has eliminated the 4 days of usefulness for most players, who now wait until the OE starts after the main event to level, fuse, and immortalize the new 4* crew.

Nobody sensible does this. I typically level a crew to 100 and then leave the least useful equipment unfinished. My 99% complete Ensign Taurik saved me so much button pushing over the weekend.
    I'm not sure which is worse:
    - we play the event to acquire a completely useless new 3/4* crew
    - we play the OE to acquire an overpriced in-game asset to immortalize the useless new 4* crew
    - the main reason to play the event & OE is effectively to immortalize the new 4* crew and keep an open crew slot, which themselves are ridiculously overpriced
    - we care at all about overpriced crew slots, since we have nothing to do with our crew anyway (other than voyages), except to start this weekly cycle over again

Regular OE's are barely more than doing daily missions. I don't really object to them. My Bagman Odo has been sitting there unequipped since I got my fourth star for him. Its not really difficult to manage the immortalize task.

This new one is something different at least. Yes, its potentially tricky. Yes, I could potentially spend dilithium on it. Yes, I could use the citation on some garbage crew and get nothing from the 10 pack. But the Shuttle Portion is easy, the Gauntlet portion isn't radically different than what I normally do leaving only the Arena.

PS The worst is:
    - I'm more likely to get a 5* crew than a useful 4* behold from a 10 pack.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed a lot in my time away. Please forgive me, but I skimmed. Y'all don't have to go 20/20. If you set things up, then start a match 5 seconds before reset, you can get an extra match. I understand that not everyone can do this. 1am is too late for me. But European players, American night owls, etc. can get an extra arena match in the event.

Reset is 5 am in the UK. There is no way I am staying up for the chance of one extra match.

• Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    The addition of Objective Events (excluding this week) has eliminated the 4 days of usefulness for most players, who now wait until the OE starts after the main event to level, fuse, and immortalize the new 4* crew.

Nobody sensible does this. I typically level a crew to 100 and then leave the least useful equipment unfinished. My 99% complete Ensign Taurik saved me so much button pushing over the weekend.

If I am not competing for rank, then I often leave event crew unlevelled. Taurik is sitting at 4/4 unlevelled.

For faction events, the event crew is only really useful when it hits 3/4 FE, by which time I have normally optimised my shuttle crews. Event crew will only get levelled up fast if I am running a lot of shuttles.
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Players: 'What was said above".......
    What WRG heard...

https://youtu.be/rRnRX85tQu4

:o:|
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    Apologies if someone has already said this; I've just skimmed through the thread.
    Twenty successful shuttles in two days is easily attainable, without spending dilithium or resources. The reward is five legendary time boosts and three shuttle tokens. In my experience, you're lucky to get five legendary time boosts out of a $4.99 ten-pack offer. Depending on your level, $4.99 is 385 - 510 dil. I think that's a great reward for an achievement that most anyone can accomplish without spending anything.

Twenty Admiral-level wins are going to cost some dil. Fifty Gauntlet wins in two days can be done with no dil, with some effort. From my point of view, the cost to get the Arena component is offset by the value of the Shuttle reward, and worth it to me. If it's not worth it to you, it's not mandatory, as @Shan said earlier.

I think this event has a lot going for it. As others have mentioned, I think all the midweek events would be better starting mid-day like regular events (mid-day in the US, anyway). There's no such thing as a free lunch, and there's no such thing as a free game in the app store. Play and spend to your level of comfort.

Shan wrote: »
    I appreciate all the feedback provided so far!

I would like to offer some perspective.

As with anything, it is up to each and everyone to make the assessment as to whether or not the investment is worth it, timewise - or if it happens to be needed, dilithium-wise.

This is not a mandatory activity but it is also not a "let's just give freebies to players" type of thing.

Try to keep an open mind regarding the rewards.
    For instance, the completion reward for this event is a 4* citation, the dilithium value for that item is much more than the potential dilithium a player might need to spend to complete all objectives.

That does not mean of course that we might not need to do some tweaking/balancing on our end :)

And thank you for keeping this thread productive - it is great :)

• Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    I missed a lot in my time away. Please forgive me, but I skimmed. Y'all don't have to go 20/20. If you set things up, then start a match 5 seconds before reset, you can get an extra match.

No, that doesn't work anymore. They changed things a couple months back that the arena match now counts at the time it starts, not when it finishes. Will it count that win or not will be an interesting question but I'm betting it won't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    FF_Founder wrote: »
    Apologies if someone has already said this; I've just skimmed through the thread.
    I think this event has a lot going for it. As others have mentioned, I think all the midweek events would be better starting mid-day like regular events (mid-day in the US, anyway). There's no such thing as a free lunch, and there's no such thing as a free game in the app store. Play and spend to your level of comfort.

The problem with starting mid day is tokens don't reset then, cadets don't reset then, etc.... The event needs to be timed with Reset if its based on items that are given at Reset or we will have a whole new set of complaints.

Good point!