Home The Bridge

Midweek Event Unleashed - feedback thread

Comments

• Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arnie wrote: »
    I think I missed a trick by actually competing in the gauntlet today, I should probably have sat at the bottom for the first day to have 2 days with easy starts.

Though events which encourage you to not play for a while seem counter productive.
    I’m trying to hit rank 200 in gauntlet for tomorrow morning’s objective event. If I can hit 15 tomorrow morning, I should be in good shape.
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Shan wrote: »
    For instance, the completion reward for this event is a 4* citation, the dilithium value for that item is much more than the potential dilithium a player might need to spend to complete all objectives.

That does not mean of course that we might not need to do some tweaking/balancing on our end :)

And thank you for keeping this thread productive - it is great :)

A 4* citation is not worth a lot to a seasoned player.

You're mistaken. A 4* Citation is worth quite a lot. In some ways its worth more than a 5* Citation.

A 5* can effectively be fused by spending honour or quantum. You can do the same for a 4* but let's face it, that's a highly inefficient use of resources. A single 5* will often have more value than a 4* who's usually just occupying space till it can be safely shown the freezer.

I suppose it depends upon how many (spare) crew slots you have.

I currently have 525 slots, nearly double yours, with over 100 of them filled with dupes or freezable crew. At my current rate of crew acquisition, it will take over a year before I need to panic.
    AviTrek wrote: »
    That being said, if there was a 650 DIL pack that guaranteed me the 4th star on a crew(all guaranteed 4* crew I had at 3/4), I would buy that pack to freeze the crew. So I would probably put the value around 650 DIL. I hate what this event says about the future of the game and how events are being designed. I'll probably spend some DIL to get the cite this time, but if this is a sign of future events, I may have to reconsider if I want to continue to play this game.

I would rather save the Dil, and spend it on crew slots in a sale. 5 slots for the price of freezing just over 2 crew. You will eventually get the final star, the crew can be frozen and slot freed up for the next faction/skirmish crew.

I find I immortalise 4* crew roughly at the same rate I acquire new ones.

My spare crew slots are only taken by new 5* crew, and I don't compete for the new 5* crew every week.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    For instance, the completion reward for this event is a 4* citation, the dilithium value for that item is much more than the potential dilithium a player might need to spend to complete all objectives.

That does not mean of course that we might not need to do some tweaking/balancing on our end :)

And thank you for keeping this thread productive - it is great :)

A 4* citation is not worth a lot to a seasoned player.

You're mistaken. A 4* Citation is worth quite a lot. In some ways its worth more than a 5* Citation.

A 5* can effectively be fused by spending honour or quantum. You can do the same for a 4* but let's face it, that's a highly inefficient use of resources. A single 5* will often have more value than a 4* who's usually just occupying space till it can be safely shown the freezer.

I suppose it depends upon how many (spare) crew slots you have.

I currently have 525 slots, nearly double yours, with over 100 of them filled with dupes or freezable crew. At my current rate of crew acquisition, it will take over a year before I need to panic.

If you have a large surplus of slots than you can afford to wait. However, obtaining a 4* crew is still different than obtaining a 5* and some objectives are better completed sooner than later. Using a citation on Kaplan helps alleviate crew space but she also puts me closer to another notch on the Resourceful collection.

Recently I decided to complete Badda Bing (and more Costumed crew) after they added Bagman Odo to a campaign.
    Decoy Kira is 3/5 and an annoyance to retrieve so she’ll be cited when convenient.
    Yates was 0/5 but is an easy retrieval and she’s now 4/5.
    Heist Bashir is 0/4. He’s been in the portal for almost 8 months now and I haven’t seen him once. Getting the first star is a chore but some extra citations that don’t compete with my normal honour gain would help a lot.
    VIP 13 - 305 Crew Slots - 915 Immortals
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanon wrote: »
    I hate the "it's not mandatory" argument. The entire game is not mandatory, should be stop commenting on it, and put a "love it or leave it" sign?

People feeling left out of an event have a right to comment. It's not just about not winning the rewards. Being left out of an event is one less thing to do in a game already has too few things to do.

Who is left out? As was pointed out several times everyone can do the shuttles easy enough. The rest are meant to be a challenge. You are also correct that everything is optional and I hate to say that is a fair argument. If you don't like something don't do it. Feel free to voice opinions etc. No one makes you do anything.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed a lot in my time away. Please forgive me, but I skimmed. Y'all don't have to go 20/20. If you set things up, then start a match 5 seconds before reset, you can get an extra match. I understand that not everyone can do this. 1am is too late for me. But European players, American night owls, etc. can get an extra arena match in the event.

Reset is 5 am in the UK. There is no way I am staying up for the chance of one extra match.

I get up at 5am everyday. I would happily trade you, lol. I could get up 10 minutes early and get things set up. (It may not work though, according to @EnderW )
    Farewell 🖖
  • MicrohopperMicrohopper ✭✭✭✭
    I typically level a crew to 100 and then leave the least useful equipment unfinished. My 99% complete Ensign Taurik saved me so much button pushing over the weekend.
    That could work. I've been fully equipping mine, but only taking the level to 99, esp. if all the items in that top equipping tier have decent value. The difference in power from 99 to 100 seems negligible.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I typically level a crew to 100 and then leave the least useful equipment unfinished. My 99% complete Ensign Taurik saved me so much button pushing over the weekend.
    That could work. I've been fully equipping mine, but only taking the level to 99, esp. if all the items in that top equipping tier have decent value. The difference in power from 99 to 100 seems negligible.

That's what I've been doing too. Less likely to accidentally hit equip and the items can often be worth more than the final level.
    EnderW wrote: »
    I missed a lot in my time away. Please forgive me, but I skimmed. Y'all don't have to go 20/20. If you set things up, then start a match 5 seconds before reset, you can get an extra match.

No, that doesn't work anymore. They changed things a couple months back that the arena match now counts at the time it starts, not when it finishes. Will it count that win or not will be an interesting question but I'm betting it won't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I tested and it worked. It's just like sending shuttles before the objective event starts, then collecting them after. I couldn't sleep, so now I have 11 wins.
    Farewell 🖖
  • ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    I picked-up 3 quick wins, now switched to level 1 as no other targets around. Will drop a bit then go for the other 7 battles.

On the downside, I'm too far up in my gauntlet, and lost most of my initial battles, might need to start spending merits a bit more. Daft question- but how does the 4 hour timer work here?
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    I'm rocking the U.S.S. Cricket Bat on both accounts.

atn3oxkwtqb1.jpg

Thank you to all the likeminded folks out there taking hundreds for the team so people have a chance, hopefully more people figure out what's up and join in. I was able to go 10-for-10 on my alt against 10 ghost ships but on my main I could only find 4 ghosts ships so I just had to win the last 6 the old fashioned way. So 10-for-10 times two so far!

One Gauntlet cycle in so far, my main managed 11 wins and my alt is currently sitting on a 13 streak! I joined a Gauntlet yesterday and just sat there for over 24 hours, so when I started tonight I had zero trophies on both accounts and with a few merits here and there I was able to really take advantage and stack up a lot of wins without collecting too many trophies.

I forgot I had anything at Level One!

2khnwiqnaejr.jpg

Also, is anyone else concerned that the Dev Team seems to just have given up because they apparently decided they did not want to try and run the Objective Event this week for the upcoming Event beside the Crazy Hard Event? Even though the Objective Event for the Weekly Event is as cut and paste as it possibly can be. Level Up 90/Fuse 3/Immortalize.....

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
    Bound2Fate wrote: »
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    Yeah, this is 100% spend to make it through.

The event picture with Quark counting his latinum is very apt.

Guaran-dang-tee that they were being completely unironic when they used it for the image of the first inevitable, obvious "Latinum Grab" Event.....

atn3oxkwtqb1.jpg

Thank you to all the likeminded folks out there taking hundreds for the team so people have a chance, hopefully more people figure out what's up and join in. I was able to go 10-for-10 on my alt against 10 ghost ships but on my main I could only find 4 ghosts ships so I just had to win the last 6 the old fashioned way. So 10-for-10 times two so far!

One Gauntlet cycle in so far, my main managed 11 wins and my alt is currently sitting on a 13 streak! I joined a Gauntlet yesterday and just sat there for over 24 hours, so when I started tonight I had zero trophies on both accounts and with a few merits here and there I was able to really take advantage and stack up a lot of wins without collecting too many trophies.

2khnwiqnaejr.jpg

Also, is anyone else concerned that the Dev Team seems to just have given up because they apparently decided they did not want to try and run the Objective Event this week for the upcoming Event beside the Crazy Hard Event? Even though the Objective Event for the Weekly Event is as cut and paste as it possibly can be. Level Up 90/Fuse 3/Immortalize.....

Running two objective events at the same time might have been confusing. It's also possible that they simply can't code it that way. I notice a gap between events and objective events. That could be a programming necessity.
    Farewell 🖖
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

atn3oxkwtqb1.jpg

2khnwiqnaejr.jpg

They're running an objective event. This is an objective event. They decided to try a different format. We can argue about what they included in the objectives and what it should be, but this was clearly introduced as this week's objective event. It's not that they gave up, it's that they made a design decision to only run one mid week event.
    AviTrek wrote: »

atn3oxkwtqb1.jpg

2khnwiqnaejr.jpg

They're running an objective event. This is an objective event. They decided to try a different format. We can argue about what they included in the objectives and what it should be, but this was clearly introduced as this week's objective event. It's not that they gave up, it's that they made a design decision to only run one mid week event.

Okay. When I said multiple times "The Objective Event FOR THE UPCOMING WEEKLY EVENT I thought it was clear what kind of Objective Event I meant. Sorry I weas unclear, even saying it at least twice......

I got my 10 wins in and am back to an empty, level 1 ship. Fire away! Thanks to all for the wins!

I went ahead and spent the 150 Dilithium, so I could change back to a a Drone and not have to worry about forgetting it later. I hope a lot of people draw mine and get Wins.

• WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Webberoni wrote: »
    Annoying when 3 of your first 8 shuttles fail, despite having a minimum 92% chance of success. I hate requirements that are so utterly dependent on rng. This isn’t even gameplay, it’s pure luck.

Lesson learned from previous OE's: Run shuttles all day on Monday but leave them unclaimed until it goes live after reset Tuesday. Tweak for "successfully complete": Use skill boosts.

Or just tank a faction. That is a valid gameplay tactic.

The first 4 were from Monday and the second set was overnight sent just as the OE started. I figured 92% and above would be safe, and never expected to have an actual success rate of 63%.

I feel like the OEs are designed specifically to drain our in-game resources (ie: merits, shuttle tokens, etc…) and encourage (gently force) real money spending.

I am all for a challenge and see potential for OE to be unique and fun. When they are nothing but a make-work project that is an extension of existing daily tasks, rely heavily on rng luck, or likely require spending (money or in-game currency) to complete, that is not fun or unique.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    No disagreement re: merits for the gauntlet, but the shuttles only required planning ahead (and/or a deep roster). The Arena looks doable, too, iff you tanked beforehand.

And, of course, we all know that tanking is a valid gameplay strategy, because Shan told all of us so in a thread in another room a few weeks ago:
    Not a bug, and not considered as cheating.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the "it's not mandatory" argument. The entire game is not mandatory, should be stop commenting on it, and put a "love it or leave it" sign?

People feeling left out of an event have a right to comment. It's not just about not winning the rewards. Being left out of an event is one less thing to do in a game already has too few things to do.

Who is left out? As was pointed out several times everyone can do the shuttles easy enough. The rest are meant to be a challenge. You are also correct that everything is optional and I hate to say that is a fair argument. If you don't like something don't do it. Feel free to voice opinions etc. No one makes you do anything.
    I'm confused, you seem to be correcting me by pointing out I should do exactly what I'm doing.
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm confused, you seem to be correcting me by pointing out I should do exactly what I'm doing.

I'm saying both are right. Being optional is valid as is voicing your opinions on it. I'm decided to give the event a go, and managed 10/10 against live ships Just tweaked my tactics, watched the loaded crew and refreshed a bit to avoid certain ship/crew combos and found a bunch I "should" beat. so far RNG has been kind. Gauntlet will be the challenge. Waiting for my 3rd cycle to start on that.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Sven LundgrenSven Lundgren ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    It has been so long since I changed ships for arena I forgot where to make the change....

Found it.