Home The Bridge
Options

Midweek Event Unleashed - feedback thread

Comments

• Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    I've forwarded this feedback thread to the team, no changes will be done for this first iteration but we will definitively look at the feedback, and the data, once the event has ended.

Whilst forwarding this feedback thread to your teammates. perhaps you could ask them for explanations that would help us players understand why this. And then you could provide such explanations in an ongoing feedback thread.

Wait, what? Sorry, I must be crazy to ask for such a thing.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Someone somewhere (you do monitor Discord, right?) pointed out that 150 dilithium for extra Admiral tickets might make sense for the rewards on offer. This depends on each player's goals and spending level.
    I appreciate all the feedback provided so far!

I would like to offer some perspective.

As with anything, it is up to each and everyone to make the assessment as to whether or not the investment is worth it, timewise - or if it happens to be needed, dilithium-wise.

This is not a mandatory activity but it is also not a "let's just give freebies to players" type of thing.

Try to keep an open mind regarding the rewards.
    For instance, the completion reward for this event is a 4* citation, the dilithium value for that item is much more than the potential dilithium a player might need to spend to complete all objectives.

That does not mean of course that we might not need to do some tweaking/balancing on our end :)

And thank you for keeping this thread productive - it is great :)

I added bold to highlight your example as to why y'all are doing this, as opposed to you & your teammates developing a new gameplay mechanism. Does your valuation of dilithium account for crew slots?

I have tried really hard for 6 years to keep an open mind about this game and how you & your teammates have developed it. I am getting tired of the lack thereof.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Sometimes ppl complain that stuff/events are too easy, then they complain that stuff is too hard(just because it requires to spend some dilithium, or a great strategy to get 20 wins out of 2x10 free arena tickets).
    You‘ll never will please anyone.

If for a SR Citation the objective goals are too easy, they can hand out the rewards to anyone right away.

I really appreciate that we now have the chance for way better rewards,
    that requires more effort or even 150 dilithium for extra arena tickets.
    Btw. Completing the Free Campaign Tier hands out 261 free dilithium.

I really fail to understand all the complaining in here. 🤗
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

That 150 dilithium cuts into my Quantum purchases. Yeah a 4* token and a 4* pack is better but I’m not a whale and try to manage my dilithium as best I can.

20 Arena wins is a little steep. It requires perfection. Good crew, good ships with no RNG happening. I’m pretty sure I’ve gone 10for10 on any given day but it’s very much the exception.

50 Gauntlet wins is relatively easy. Yes, there’s RNG but with proper play time and a good crew it’s pretty doable. It also uses a free currency to help manage your game play. There are lots of little things you can do to improve your gauntlet game play. I’m pretty baffled that people find the gauntlet at all daunting.

If 20 Arena Wins is going to be the standard maybe introduce the ability to buy a small amount of arena tickets with merits, credits or even honour.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
    For instance, the completion reward for this event is a 4* citation, the dilithium value for that item is much more than the potential dilithium a player might need to spend to complete all objectives.

Don't you give one of these away every month?
  • Options
    Sometimes ppl complain that stuff/events are too easy, then they complain that stuff is too hard(just because it requires to spend some dilithium, or a great strategy to get 20 wins out of 2x10 free arena tickets).
    You‘ll never will please anyone.

If for a SR Citation the objective goals are too easy, they can hand out the rewards to anyone right away.

I really appreciate that we now have the chance for way better rewards,

I really fail to understand all the complaining in here. 🤗

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    It's the shuttle tokens, as usual. 800 chrons, 2000 honor & five 5* time boosts are nice, plus the 10x portal pull, but only the shuttle tokens move the needle past "Stop".
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭

After at least three weeks of consistent work. “Given away” isn’t exactly a fair way of putting it. Let’s not forget the heavy complaining with the fleet ISM achievement a year ago.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    EnderW wrote: »

After at least three weeks of consistent work. “Given away” isn’t exactly a fair way of putting it. Let’s not forget the heavy complaining with the fleet ISM achievement a year ago.

I will see your post and raise you: Let's not forget the valid complaints when fleet Starbase bonuses were introduced.

Back to the intent of this thread: It looks ill-designed to me, but I will play normally & see how far I get, before deciding whether to use some resources to get others.
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    EnderW wrote: »

I will see your post and raise you: Let's not forget the valid complaints when fleet Starbase bonuses were introduced.

Back to the intent of this thread: It looks ill-designed to me, but I will play normally & see how far I get, before deciding whether to use some resources to get others.

So, yeah, much of this is an “We fear change” situation. I get that. But, honestly, this should be seen as a challenge, as it’s being described. Therefore it will be challenging. People may or may not be able to get it, depending on how many resources they want to use. I’m excited to see if I can do this without using extra resources. I’m not sure I can, which seems fun!

I get the concern, but nothing here is being forced. It’s all extra. I’m one of the first people to complain about unreasonable achievements. In fact, I did it with the first OE. But there’s nothing wrong with trying and failing. So, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    I like the thinking you’ll now have to do to try and get a 4* citation. The 50 gauntlet wins will be hard!
  • Options
    MaxwellMaxwell ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    One thing I just ran into and this doesn't even account for...when the game hangs going into an arena match and a restart occurs, it doesn't count towards progress. So even if someone is beating every arena match, if the game hangs that would mean not making the 20 matches

Edit: And it dropped another match before finishing the 10 matches...
  • Options
    TaayaTaaya ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    I'm a seasoned player, I've been playing ever since the game started in my country (Germany), but ... On a good day I win two of ten arena fights. Some days I win none. (And I wonder if there's a bug, because in some fights, I go from full hull and shields to being dead in a single blow. And yes, it is only a single blow, I've quit speeding up, after that problem occured regularly, to see if I only missed something.)

I mean, it could be possible with weeks and weeks of prep, by not playing Admiral class for long enough to completely drop from the ranking. At that point, fighting one's way through beginners with their level 1 ships, is no problem and one could win every fight. But here?

I assume this event is to force people to buy extra fights. And ... Hell, I understand if the company behind the game has money problems. But ... then just be open about it and give us something that's actually an incentive to spend money. And one that guarantees we get what we pay the money for. Spending money for the chance to fight, only to end up still not winning the 20 times needed? Sure, extremely rich people will still do it. I won't. And I'm a little frustrated at that.
    Kanon wrote: »
    AviTrek wrote: »
    The minute I saw this objective I removed all my crew and switched to a weaker ship in arena. Hopefully I drop levels so it'll be easier to win battles during the event.
    I did the same, and while at first I was worried everyone would do the same, I realized that if we all do this, even during the event, it will be the best for all (do the battles with the best ship, leave the worst so others can win)

Thing is ... If you don't have Proton's ship at the highest level now, this is a perhaps-one-time-only chance to get the necessary parts. So ... I don't know. Dropping in the rankings to at least have a chance in the event, or getting much needed parts ... Kinda feels like a lose/lose situation. :(

Edit: But to be honest, I think my only real issue with this is,... What will the other players do with their time. Ever since the latest faction and the latest real missions were introduced, the game has only revolved around doing chores. Casual (seasoned) players like me as well as newer ones have no perspective (unless they are rich). There's no chance in hell we rank good in an event, or in the arena or with gauntlets. That's okay. Frustrating, yes, but okay. That's how games work.
    But we're forgotten on the way. We can never close the gap between us and the people who've played full force ever since the game begun - even if we spend were to spend money (and sorry, but Timelines is heavily overpriced, in most other games you get more for less money, even IF you have money, which younger players just don't, thanks to flat rents having risen to 300% in ten years, food prices having risen 6% in just the last few months,...).

But so far we were at least not completely forgotten. We would only ever get the few scraps and crumbs from events, but at least we could participate.

This time there's no hope for us at all. I don't mind events only directed at paying players. Go for it! But give us other people something else, of less value, in the mean time. (See Pokemon Go for example. One can buy a pass for 13€ for special events and get extra tasks with much better rewards or only do the free stuff, that also comes with rarer Pokemon spawning and some, usually silly and easy tasks for nothing but a few pokeballs you could get at any stop, but you get tasks! You're still part of something. You're not treated like you're no longer welcome at all.)

And yeah, maybe I'm sensitive about this, because - being disabled - that's what's done to me all my life. I'm always being pushed at the sidelines, there's always something that prevents me from attending, and most of the time it's being done exactly to keep people like me away. But it hurts having this being done to me in a game I have even invested money in, in the past, although I'm unemployed and don't have much to spare. I did invest money and still I'm being either forgotten or willfully excluded.

In my case that's the main issue. I'm okay with them needing to make money and focusing (like always, really) on rich, constantly paying players. Just... Don't ignore everyone else that completely.
  • Options
    Myimaginary Myimaginary ✭✭✭✭

That does not mean of course that we might not need to do some tweaking/balancing on our end :)

A 4* citation is not worth a lot to a seasoned player. The only time I need them is to complete a tier on a collection, and even then it is very rare, I normally get the required stars from beholds before then. I have at least a couple of dozen hoarded waiting to be used.

The value to the player might go up, if you introduced a voyage crew collection, or new fuse crew.

This. I wouldn't mind spending some Dil if it got me some actually useful rewards but honestly, a 4* citation isn't it. Purple crew are pretty much useless to a more seasoned player. You only complete them to maybe add to a collection but it's mostly to freeze them and free up some crew slots.

• Options
    Taaya wrote: »
    I'm a seasoned player, I've been playing ever since the game started in my country (Germany), but ... On a good day I win two of ten arena fights. Some days I win none. (And I wonder if there's a bug, because in some fights, I go from full hull and shields to being dead in a single blow. And yes, it is only a single blow, I've quit speeding up, after that problem occured regularly, to see if I only missed something.)

I mean, it could be possible with weeks and weeks of prep, by not playing Admiral class for long enough to completely drop from the ranking. At that point, fighting one's way through beginners with their level 1 ships, is no problem and one could win every fight. But here?

I assume this event is to force people to buy extra fights. And ... Hell, I understand if the company behind the game has money problems. But ... then just be open about it and give us something that's actually an incentive to spend money. And one that guarantees we get what we pay the money for. Spending money for the chance to fight, only to end up still not winning the 20 times needed? Sure, extremely rich people will still do it. I won't. And I'm a little frustrated at that.
    Kanon wrote: »
    AviTrek wrote: »
    The minute I saw this objective I removed all my crew and switched to a weaker ship in arena. Hopefully I drop levels so it'll be easier to win battles during the event.
    I did the same, and while at first I was worried everyone would do the same, I realized that if we all do this, even during the event, it will be the best for all (do the battles with the best ship, leave the worst so others can win)

Thing is ... If you don't have Proton's ship at the highest level now, this is a perhaps-one-time-only chance to get the necessary parts. So ... I don't know. Dropping in the rankings to at least have a chance in the event, or getting much needed parts ... Kinda feels like a lose/lose situation. :(

Edit: But to be honest, I think my only real issue with this is,... What will the other players do with their time. Ever since the latest faction and the latest real missions were introduced, the game has only revolved around doing chores. Casual (seasoned) players like me as well as newer ones have no perspective (unless they are rich). There's no chance in hell we rank good in an event, or in the arena or with gauntlets. That's okay. Frustrating, yes, but okay. That's how games work.
    But we're forgotten on the way. We can never close the gap between us and the people who've played full force ever since the game begun - even if we spend were to spend money (and sorry, but Timelines is heavily overpriced, in most other games you get more for less money, even IF you have money, which younger players just don't, thanks to flat rents having risen to 300% in ten years, food prices having risen 6% in just the last few months,...).

But so far we were at least not completely forgotten. We would only ever get the few scraps and crumbs from events, but at least we could participate.

This time there's no hope for us at all. I don't mind events only directed at paying players. Go for it! But give us other people something else, of less value, in the mean time. (See Pokemon Go for example. One can buy a pass for 13€ for special events and get extra tasks with much better rewards or only do the free stuff, that also comes with rarer Pokemon spawning and some, usually silly and easy tasks for nothing but a few pokeballs you could get at any stop, but you get tasks! You're still part of something. You're not treated like you're no longer welcome at all.)

And yeah, maybe I'm sensitive about this, because - being disabled - that's what's done to me all my life. I'm always being pushed at the sidelines, there's always something that prevents me from attending, and most of the time it's being done exactly to keep people like me away. But it hurts having this being done to me in a game I have even invested money in, in the past, although I'm unemployed and don't have much to spare. I did invest money and still I'm being either forgotten or willfully excluded.

In my case that's the main issue. I'm okay with them needing to make money and focusing (like always, really) on rich, constantly paying players. Just... Don't ignore everyone else that completely.

This. Eloquent, and a much-needed perspective. Thank you.
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    I can wit at least 8 - 9 fights with my Krayton.
    Against the proton it is around 6 out of 10.
  • Options
    I agree with most of the comments here. 1. this seems geared towards seasoned players who are willing to spend dilithium to get 1 premium pack and 1 SR citation, which I'm really curious how many of those people there are. 2. I do like that this is something a little different - we need new ways to interact with the game and use crew. 3. Experimenting with different types of objective events is a good thing, including rotating which OE "flavor" appears each week. The OE difficulty ranking is a good measure. 4. Freebies are fun to a point, but I think a substantial amount of the player base wants something interesting to do with interesting choices to make and so any rewards for stuff we're already doing isn't really scratching that itch. 5. I want the game to continue, which means there needs to be enough enticement in the game for some players to spend a little bit of money. However I suspect there are plenty of us non-whale-spenders (of which I am one) that are looking to spend $ on interesting engagement not just for a chance of digital rewards that likely will not matter on our roster.

I guess TLDNR would be: New flavors of existing elements in the game is good to see, on occasion I'm willing to throw a few bucks at the game as I have in the past, but what I'm getting right now I feel like I've already paid for.
  • Options
    Some of the comments have mentioned the fact that the rewards for this event are kind of all-or-nothing, so even if you do reasonably well at some task, you might not get anything.

I think a solution to this could be instead of having tasks gated like 'complete objectives 1-3 before starting on objective 4', have different tiers of objectives like 'do something x times, then x+y, then x+y+z times total'. This is already implemented in the month long events, so it shouldn't be too difficult to code. It makes the gates between tiers intrinsic to the tasks being done, rather than arbitrary constraints, which at least for me would make for a better player experience. And it allows for smaller rewards for partial completion, while restricting the best rewards to players who can complete all the tiers, so you can have players at all levels potentially being challenged within the same event.

It would take a bit more programming to implement, but maybe there could be cumulative rewards for completing all objectives to tier 1, to tier 2, etc, like how there is the cumulative reward now for completing every objective all the way.
  • Options

As with anything, it is up to each and everyone to make the assessment as to whether or not the investment is worth it, timewise - or if it happens to be needed, dilithium-wise.

This is not a mandatory activity but it is also not a "let's just give freebies to players" type of thing.

Well this all but ensures that I'm not going to bother will it. This turns from "free to play" to "pay to play". Dilithium value per item shouldn't be a consideration but time and effort involved. We add in the Daily pass, quantum pass, 2 layers of campaigns and now objectives designed to use that dilithium for and all frozen begold and a cite on one of the many useless super rare crew we have...
    Not that I'm saying monetisation is the devil, we understand that, but more that the balance of give and take has to be on an acceptable level and I can share many of the communities frustrations that we have had nothing but various methods of extracting dilithium instead of productivity.

Well this all but ensures that I'm not going to bother will it. This turns from "free to play" to "pay to play". Dilithium value per item shouldn't be a consideration but time and effort involved. We add in the Daily pass, quantum pass, 2 layers of campaigns and now objectives designed to use that dilithium for and all frozen begold and a cite on one of the many useless super rare crew we have...
    Not that I'm saying monetisation is the devil, we understand that, but more that the balance of give and take has to be on an acceptable level and I can share many of the communities frustrations that we have had nothing but various methods of extracting dilithium instead of productivity.

I agree, STT is turning more P2P all the time. Those that want to spend their money will and be happy. Those that are 'on the fence' (ex. casual P2P players) or F2P will not. The full-time P2P players will be happy, the remainder not. It's a setup for keeping STT afloat and the full-time P2P players happy, but not in growing the player base.