Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: Imperial Decree - 12/14

Comments

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow Frank, was that a prologue or your shortest op ed ever?
  • Options
    I'm most concerned about what's protruding from his hip. Is it a tumor? Did he absorb Lore in utero? In his quest for perfection, did he replace his hand with Groot?
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wao, Black Pebble! ;p
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Mirror Picard art, yay !
    Mirror Jadzia, .. not bad !
    Mirror Reed... Ehh.. looks like Reed got transport blended with a Vulcan mouse.

Mirror Data..
    (Whom I was really digging the idea of..)

(Makes farting noise)
    Disappointing.

I'd even be cool if it didn't even look like Brent Spinner in the least.. it you.. data'ed up John Laraquet or some random guy in your office as long as the art looked good.. but on so many levels that is just beneath the lowest levels of quality that has ever been put out by DB before.

I'd rather have potato Head Martok.
    At least I can just say in my brain he's a mislabeled Klingon Odo.

I'm pretty much 100% agreed here (except for the point that I do care that it doesn't look like Brent Spiner at all). As you can likely judge from my choice of avatar and name, I am a huge fan of Data. I use the Data1001 sobriquet all over the Internet, and have done so for many years. I have all versions of him in the game except the Detective. And so I was very excited when I heard about this event, and was planning on going all-in, buying more boosts with Dilithium, and certainly buying several event packs and probably a Mirror Data offer.

Now, though, after seeing that art, I'm not interested in him in the slightest.

65ydeutazvn2.jpg

No packs for me, and no extra Dilithium spent on extra speed-up boosts. But this one little thing, this abysmal artwork for a character I love, has had a greater effect: it has soured me on the game as a whole. Coming on the heels of a number of sub-standard pieces of artwork, and a less-detailed artwork style in general, it's getting to be a lot less fun to play the game.

I really hope this isn't the beginning of the end for me. In the last few months I've greatly stepped up the amount of money I've spent on STT, but for the first time since I started playing at the beginning of this year, I'm actually starting to consider the option of walking away from the game.

DB, as I've mentioned before, one of the main reasons we play this game is to collect characters... in effect, we're buying artwork. This artwork is terrible. It is of a completely unacceptable quality, and this "art buyer" ain't buyin' it. You've made me very disappointed today.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea... after you see his proficiency roll you'll want him regardless.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea... after you see his proficiency roll you'll want him regardless.

Uh-uh. Ain't gonna happen. Not unless they change the artwork, which they have never done. Someone else recently said "stats trump artwork" for them. But for me, if the artwork is terrible, it's the opposite. If it's merely mediocre artwork, then I'll usually make an effort to grab them if the stats are incredible. But not this abomination. No way.

• Options
    It’s the smudge from the previous loading screen. We had to find a new home for it.

You know, these jokes have a "let them eat cake" quality to them that's a little off-putting.

I think you're thinking about this a little too hard. Just laugh and move on.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I appreciate the humor. Personal attack removed. ˜Shan
  • Options
    Davey1983 wrote: »
    It’s the smudge from the previous loading screen. We had to find a new home for it.

You know, these jokes have a "let them eat cake" quality to them that's a little off-putting.

Given DB's recent staffing moves, I would probably be very interested in what the feedback is from my more invested customers, versus sniping back at them like a 12 year-old razzing people on XBox Live. Not sure that's the best tone for the Director of Brand and Marketing to be taking, unless the Brand and Marketing is supposed to be Go Away, There Will Always Be More Trekkies To Give Us Money Ha Ha.

The message comes across as: "we know you hate it, but we don't care if you hate it, so long as we only had to put the smallest possible effort into the product and new customers keep coming in to replace the old ones who get fed up and either stop giving us money or leave."

To be sustainable, your product, at a minimum, either needs to be a properly functioning game that people have an interest in playing for the sake of the gameplay, or be a worthwhile activity for collectors of pretty Trek art. Arm-coming-out-of-his-hip Data contributes to neither of these ends, nor does you being a jerk when your customers rightfully criticize bad artwork. Unless your title is missing "Character Artist", this latest slapdash piece wasn't something you personally produced, so I don't understand where the defensiveness is coming from. If you don't like hearing about it, then prevent the issue from coming up in the first place.

Wow. All this over a simple joke? I am trying to see the connection between what was said and this epic, hilarious, and unhinged rant.

Black pebble, please know that most of us appreciate humor, and please do not stop over a couple of individuals who, like Data, do not get humor.

I agree! People like that are why we can't have nice things!
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davey1983 wrote: »

Given DB's recent staffing moves, I would probably be very interested in what the feedback is from my more invested customers, versus sniping back at them like a 12 year-old razzing people on XBox Live. Not sure that's the best tone for the Director of Brand and Marketing to be taking, unless the Brand and Marketing is supposed to be Go Away, There Will Always Be More Trekkies To Give Us Money Ha Ha.

The message comes across as: "we know you hate it, but we don't care if you hate it, so long as we only had to put the smallest possible effort into the product and new customers keep coming in to replace the old ones who get fed up and either stop giving us money or leave."

To be sustainable, your product, at a minimum, either needs to be a properly functioning game that people have an interest in playing for the sake of the gameplay, or be a worthwhile activity for collectors of pretty Trek art. Arm-coming-out-of-his-hip Data contributes to neither of these ends, nor does you being a jerk when your customers rightfully criticize bad artwork. Unless your title is missing "Character Artist", this latest slapdash piece wasn't something you personally produced, so I don't understand where the defensiveness is coming from. If you don't like hearing about it, then prevent the issue from coming up in the first place.

Wow. All this over a simple joke? I am trying to see the connection between what was said and this epic, hilarious, and unhinged rant.

Black pebble, please know that most of us appreciate humor, and please do not stop over a couple of individuals who, like Data, do not get humor.

Thing is, coming from Joe Bob Henry Bob, I think you are right. But I think Rose and others have a very strong point in the appropriate conduct of someone in management responding to a criticism of the product.

I enjoy BPs humour in a lot of places, but it really doesn't have a place in taking a customers, paying or free, complaint.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This might've already been shared elsewhere, but here's the larger artwork of the new crew, from the STT Twitter account.

7v296qbgrp00.jpg

• Options
    Vic Fontaine actually looks really good.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vic Fontaine actually looks really good.

Better than expected, but I wouldn't actually go with good.....
    That is if you wanted it to actually look like James Darren (Vic Fontaine)

If I'd never seen Vic before or the Mirror Eps, I'd consider it good artwork. I have tho, and have recently so I don't. I give it a C+
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    This might've already been shared elsewhere, but here's the larger artwork of the new crew, from the STT Twitter account.

7v296qbgrp00.jpg

Vic looks good until you look over at Mirror Trip and see the incredible detail.
  • Options
    Grant77 wrote: »

7v296qbgrp00.jpg

Vic looks good until you look over at Mirror Trip and see the incredible detail.

Which is a fairly universal complaint about the more recent character portraits. Detail and accuracy (as in they look like the actor) have gone by the wayside in too many cases.
  • Options
    Grant77 wrote: »

7v296qbgrp00.jpg

Which is a fairly universal complaint about the more recent character portraits. Detail and accuracy (as in they look like the actor) have gone by the wayside in too many cases.

+1 It is good to see the difference right next to each other, I am waiting for someone with a bit more time to show us a mirror Vic shown next to normal Vic to highlight how different and low quality the art has become
  • Options
    So we have a fan from a trek convention pretending to be data, The Generic "Before Guy" from a "Just for men" box and a good art rerun from a year ago.

This new art is unbecoming of the standards you previously set DB. If this is to be the standard going forward... (Shakes head)

I could have nearly excused it with the data as disappointing as he is because he's based off of a comic version. The Vic.. there is no excuse.

My apologies to whom ever did this art,
    But your in over your head to produce for a product on this level.

I would rather a literal screen grab without the background even being removed then this.

I have no positive emotional connection to the two new additions and that is a requirement for me to put time and effort (or money) in to gaining these.

I just can't understand the disconnect, going from a well done work like the mirror Picard to three really bad ones in a row with Reed, Data & Vic.

The stats on data will need to be huge for me to do anything other then work for 1 star to finish the 3/4 trip I got already and the Picard star.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 It is good to see the difference right next to each other, I am waiting for someone with a bit more time to show us a mirror Vic shown next to normal Vic to highlight how different and low quality the art has become

Here you go.

51adoqqxm7w1.jpg

• Options
    DSleepyEyesDSleepyEyes ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    ds7hohinlcaa.png
    They flipped the image from the looks of it... but it still looks pretty bad...

Any chance they'll ask Mike Gardner back to fix this mess... to fix all previous messes?
  • Options

Let them eat static.

Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    http://tenforwardloungers.freecluster.eu
  • Options
    Every week the art work gets worse. Pathetic.
  • Options
    What I really recommend is that they add Mirror characters that were seen in the series. Characters such as Mirror Sulu, Mirror McCoy, Mirror Scotty, Mirror Chekov, And the Captain’s Woman from the Mirror universe Lt. Marlena Moreau. Also, I believe that Janice Rand is underrepresented and highly wish that Disruptor Beam would add Cmdr. Janice Rand from the U.S.S. Excelsior. And one more thing, Female Q, Civil War Q, and Q’s Son could also be a great add. I would buy any of these characters.
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Voyager completely destroyed Q, the last thing I want are those abominations of Q. I'm not personally a TOS fan, but I do get that there are enough people out there that are that would want TOS mirror characters, I don't see a huge market for Voyager Qs though.