Home The Bridge

Portal updates

Comments

• Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    You may not realize this but, the cliched response that says nothing just infuriates the players more.

Then "the players" should stop asking for an update if they won't like the answer. If there's no specific timeline for a portal update, what do you want, a lie?

There is a timeline and a reason why they have consistently misled us and delayed the portal updates. Players just want to know when and why.
  • Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I don’t claim to be a computer whiz or anything but how hard can it be to add already existing characters to an already existing pool for a computer whiz to do? Is it something that would take months or really just a few minutes?

Depends on how they've done things, I've seen some badly written code (some of it my own when I first started out!) over the years. It should have been architected to be simple enough, but given some of the messes we've seen in the game, I'm not overly confident that it will have been.

So yeah, easy enough if you've developed things in the right way. If you've not, then it could be a complete PITA to do.

Either way, no more Premium Pulls for me until an update, as unless it'll be a be a 5*, it's going to be honour in all likelihood.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    furyd wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I don’t claim to be a computer whiz or anything but how hard can it be to add already existing characters to an already existing pool for a computer whiz to do? Is it something that would take months or really just a few minutes?

Depends on how they've done things, I've seen some badly written code (some of it my own when I first started out!) over the years. It should have been architected to be simple enough, but given some of the messes we've seen in the game, I'm not overly confident that it will have been.

So yeah, easy enough if you've developed things in the right way. If you've not, then it could be a complete PITA to do.

Either way, no more Premium Pulls for me until an update, as unless it'll be a be a 5*, it's going to be honour in all likelihood.

Given that we know they've screwed up and thought they added crew while not having them appear in the past, this is clearly VERY poorly written code. It shouldn't even have to be a manual process that requires a server release. But not only is it a manual process with a server release, it requires multiple settings that are easy to miss.
  • They haven't bothered to update it, because most players have no clue that it doesn't happen regularly and is not automated, like any sensible developer would've done. And they're not particularly concerned about keeping to any timeline, because those same players would have no clue that there has been an update, and there would be no major revenue spike when it's actually done. Unless, of course, they announced the update via a MOTD or email, but then they'd be telling everyone that they were pulling from an empty hat the last 6 months, so that probably won't happen. In other words, they don't really care.
  • barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly hadn't thought about the Portal not being updated in a while, but now that I know, I'll probably not spend either until it is.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they fully know what they are doing with the portal updates just choosing not to update it. For instance I opened up a couple of premium pulls today.... guess what happened.... a steady stream of Boxer Chakotays, Hockey Paris, and a Niners Kira, I fear to open any more...
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish we could get honour for schematics :neutral:
    DB: Do Better
  • It does not include an update to the Time Portal. I don't have an ETA for you on when an update could be expected, but it is something we are aware of and are planning.

Please update ship schematics as well. PLEASE.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • The Great GornholioThe Great Gornholio ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Grant77 wrote: »
    In light of DB misleading us once again regarding faction events, I have a suggestion for a good show of faith that would go a long way.

Tell us why you have consistently gone against your word by not updating the portal and tell us when you are going to do it.

Players crave some degree of honesty and transparency. Help us out here.

Im with @Grant77 !

DB: Stop telling us that you are talking about it. Tell us why it has not been updated!
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I really don't think it's much more complicated than the fact that this was Nod's big thing. He was on top of all these sorts of projects, and now he's gone so no one is doing it. Eventually someone may be assigned to make an update.

For the ship schematics - well - that may be more intentional.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • JMJM ✭✭
    I'm with others here...I won't be buying any more packs until it's updated. It's just not worth all the dismissals and the FF beholds.
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Shan, that reply has some "flesh" at least, some inside. Fingers crossed to finding the right process. And that the update of the time portal in the future goes more smoothly. Also in the best interest of DB. Cause obviously the lack of timely updates hurts your revenue. So in case this will be handled satisfyingly at some point (hopefully soon :P) it benefits both your costumers and your company...
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Shan, that reply has some "flesh" at least, some inside. Fingers crossed to finding the right process. And that the update of the time portal in the future goes more smoothly. Also in the best interest of DB. Cause obviously the lack of timely updates hurts your revenue. So in case this will be handled satisfyingly at some point (hopefully soon :P) it benefits both your costumers and your company...

I second this. That added some transparency to it which frankly gives some street cred to the reply.
  • [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    It will take place.
    The intent was for it to happen sooner, but stuff happened. Best laid plans and all that.
    We also realized that how it was done before was not ideal and that a good process to perform said update was required.

Working on creating processes while dealing with the daily requirements of a live game is not as easy as it sounds. But it is being worked on and it will pave the way for future updates.

We are also making extra sure that we have the correct checklists and safeguards for the update to go out smoothly. It also takes time but we are getting there.

Sounds exciting. I think what you are hinting at here is a significant update, plus checks to make sure it doesn't go wrong. Either way, I appreciate your reply Shan and am looking forward to it!
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will take place.
    The intent was for it to happen sooner, but stuff happened. Best laid plans and all that.
    We also realized that how it was done before was not ideal and that a good process to perform said update was required.

Working on creating processes while dealing with the daily requirements of a live game is not as easy as it sounds. But it is being worked on and it will pave the way for future updates.

We are also making extra sure that we have the correct checklists and safeguards for the update to go out smoothly. It also takes time but we are getting there.

Could we get an insight into those plans? Is it going to be a straight expansion of the existing pack or are you planning a more significant overhaul? (this is a very important question because many of us are sitting on premium packs and our expectations are that the upgrade is going to work for us. If it isn't you will need to give us plenty of notice or you will have a mob with pitchforks to deal with. So we will want details, in advance and some idea of what you are going to do to ameliorate any disgruntlement)

Do you have a timeline for it?

Do you have any information on what it is competing with for attention? Is there another major system on the way that depends on it, or it depends upon?

Thank you!
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best laid plains is an expression, nothing else.
    There are no major overhaul, and I am not hinting at anything.

I am confirming that what was asked in the original thread will indeed be happening, and offering some insight as to why it didn't happen sooner.

• Shan wrote: »

I am confirming that what was asked in the original thread will indeed be happening, and offering some insight as to why it didn't happen sooner.

Thank you for your time in making additional replies to our questions here
    ~ seeking out new life

I'd actually assumed you meant that any changes were the ones you described--- ones to process and procedure to get it done right.

Thank you for the further confirmation and clarification.
    You guys are hilarious. Shan didn't saying anything you didn't already know and you're thanking her as if she said something enlightening. We were already told ages ago that portal updates were in the works. We were already told they can't keep their original timeline. And we were already told they can't tell us when a portal update will happen. So, what exactly did Shan clear up this time?

All Shan's post proves is that she is honing her skills as a *marinating tofu* artist. I respect that. It's a skill she needs here. I'm just surprised some of you fell for it. Nice work Shan, you bought DB some time before pitchforks are seen. Take the rest of the day off. LOL

She stated reasoning being QC.
    To me that's valid for at least the time being based on what happened in October.
  • [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    You guys are hilarious. Shan didn't saying anything you didn't already know and you're thanking her as if she said something enlightening. We were already told ages ago that portal updates were in the works. We were already told they can't keep their original timeline. And we were already told they can't tell us when a portal update will happen. So, what exactly did Shan clear up this time?

All Shan's post proves is that she is honing her skills as a *marinating tofu* artist. I respect that. It's a skill she needs here. I'm just surprised some of you fell for it. Nice work Shan, you bought DB some time before pitchforks are seen. Take the rest of the day off. LOL

Sounds like you've got the pitchforks sharpened and oiled, ready for any slight slip-up on Shan's part. No wonder her diplomacy skills are improving; I guess they kind of have to when you know the slightest perceived mistake will have the hordes taking to the keyboard!
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • IkritIkrit ✭✭✭

Shan, could you please see if Doctor La Forge, COP Founder Picard, and Convergence Day Quark can be added in the eventual portal update? They have been out for more than a year (1.5 years for La Forge since even his rerun!). Thanks!
  • Need to consider other options too. Remove old cards and add the new ones to the premium portal. Create new standard packs (Year 1 Rare/Legendary). Lots of options, but as players build their decks, premium portals lose value.
    Captain Bubble Bobble
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭

So we know that you are able to add characters to the regular portal without issue, as you have done so with cards like 2* Burnham and others. The mechanism clearly works now and it worked extremely well in the past. However, few characters have been added recently, contradicting concrete promises from Disruptor Beam.

Help me to understand why some characters can be added, but others can not. I find that genuinely puzzling and interesting.

• JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Please don't think you have to treat us with kid-gloves, tell us the truth or as much of the truth as you are allowed and don't dress it up with vague answers like "stuff happened". We are deeply investing consumers, we require a little more respect than that and giving us responsible answers is a huge step toward achieving that.

Compared to Shans first answer "It is still on our radar, yes. It will happen, and we will let you know when it does." which seemed bothered by the question and kinda belittling our interest the second one was at least a small step in the right direction. Yes, there are still many vague elements and no concrete date or even a ruff timeline given, but that they are extra careful with this after the last Portal update desaster makes some sense. That aside as you said: Certain internal processes are not our business and no company unveils them, but at least some ruff timetables etc. would be very welcome...