Home The Bridge

WRG layoffs - is Ben all alone now?

Can someone please send Ben a coffee and a doughnut, poor guy is sailing the ship almost on his own now..

Seriously though, following the massive layoffs at WRG, is it the beginning of the end? Will there be another buy out? Will we ever see Assimilated Spock?

https://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/80753/tilting-point-lays-of-14-of-its-workforce/wiezig76v7ce.png
zh2acvcumiw2.png
meyvqpvtt0sd.png
5x4s6snj6h8q.png
pjwuat7o5cmj.png

Comments

• cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this explains the mega launching everything prior to launch. Glad I didn't buy the campaign yet.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    "So far, it appears that members of Wicked Realms, the team behind Star Trek Timelines, have been let go................."

Not a good sign on TP home page under news - the article "reflecting on the success of star trek timelines" the link no longer works, just brings up 2 other games for netflix....hmmm
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Saw it coming from a mile away.

Had the folks at wrg actually listened to the suggestions made on this forum, maybe they would have kept a lot of players, and maybe even brought in a handful of new ones.

If this is in fact the end, ill just kindly thank wrg for buttongate or bangate, whatever you want to call it. You guys killed your game and your cash cow when you decided to show your true colors. And i will also encourage the games decision maker to continue not listening to suggestions, clearly this was all just someone elses fault.
  • Maybe I should go ahead and cite my 1/5 Lela Kira just so I can reach 100% on her variants before the shutdown.

And c'mon, send us all a 1/5 Mirror Jean-Luc Picard for old times' sake.
  • Navarch wrote: »
    Saw it coming from a mile away.

Had the folks at wrg actually listened to the suggestions made on this forum, maybe they would have kept a lot of players, and maybe even brought in a handful of new ones.

If this is in fact the end, ill just kindly thank wrg for buttongate or bangate, whatever you want to call it. You guys killed your game and your cash cow when you decided to show your true colors. And i will also encourage the games decision maker to continue not listening to suggestions, clearly this was all just someone elses fault.

We all saw it coming, but I see no reason to gloat today. The folks who were laid off didn’t make the calls that poisoned the well with players. They didn’t cause the macroeconomic factors that undoubtedly sped up the process of these layoffs (high interest rates and high inflation cause investors to demand higher rates of return from companies).

I feel bad for those who were let go and for those who remain. May they all find future employers who will better enable their long term success.

Oh im definitely not gloating.

And i do feel bad for the folks who were let go, they were just following orders.

And i cant really say that my way would have saved the game with 100% certainty. But i do know that wrg/tp leadership has made a plethora of decisions that have upset the players, and ive watched those people leave the game because of it. I think those same decisions have affected the careers of those who were let go.

It certainly wasnt one critic on the forums that brought the game down.
  • Disappointed on so many levels here, but what really gets me is the same old, same old. These layoffs happened 3 weeks ago and there is still NO official word from WRG. Were they trying to keep it a secret? Are we all on double secret probation? No, just keep spending until the day you can't log in....

Just..........ARGGGHHH!!

cfnm26rugfdj.gif
  • Thinking of going through and 86'ing all of those incomplete 5*'s I've held onto but never really cared about and cashing in the honor for however many citations that gets me. Even at just 550/star, there are a *ton* of x/5's I don't care about whatsoever. Hate to hurt my fleet by getting rid of the crew we've needed to clear FBB nodes, though.
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Disappointed on so many levels here, but what really gets me is the same old, same old. These layoffs happened 3 weeks ago and there is still NO official word from WRG. Were they trying to keep it a secret? Are we all on double secret probation? No, just keep spending until the day you can't log in....

Just..........ARGGGHHH!!

Do companies usually announce layoffs to their customers? Google and Amazon just had layoffs. I'm pretty sure I heard in the news, but I never got an email from Google saying, "by the way we had a layoff and let go X thousand employees." It's just that Google is large enough that general news publications picked up the news so people heard. Game industry news similarly covered the WRG layoffs, but took until today for someone to notice the news.

If we're being honest, a lot of us probably suspected something when Shan left. But we didn't do the google search to find the news story until Idol posted on Discord this morning.

Perhaps, but comparing WRG to Amazon and Google? Ya, no.

How about something like "By now you may have heard about the layoffs at TP and how they have impacted us at WRG. We will provide more information as it becomes available. We appreciate the dedication and loyalty of our players and hope for our partnership to continue for years to come."

Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of me wonders if they are still there too or if they are done with the "keep the lights" on part of their job. Reading the linked article makes me think Ben/Joe may not be around too
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    Part of me wonders if they are still there too or if they are done with the "keep the lights" on part of their job. Reading the linked article makes me think Ben/Joe may not be around too

Ben's LinkedIn lists him as still there. I have no idea if that is accurate or not. But I would assume there was one round of layoffs, not a second round a couple weeks later. So I'd guess Ben and Joe are there for now unless they found another job and quit.
  • SonjaSonja ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

IT Sector layoffs tracker (250k + -> 2022+2023 ) https://layoffs.fyi/

https://mobilegamer.biz/layoffs-at-tilting-point-as-it-restructures-and-switches-strategy/
  • Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Disappointed on so many levels here, but what really gets me is the same old, same old. These layoffs happened 3 weeks ago and there is still NO official word from WRG. Were they trying to keep it a secret? Are we all on double secret probation? No, just keep spending until the day you can't log in....

Just..........ARGGGHHH!!

Do companies usually announce layoffs to their customers? Google and Amazon just had layoffs. I'm pretty sure I heard in the news, but I never got an email from Google saying, "by the way we had a layoff and let go X thousand employees." It's just that Google is large enough that general news publications picked up the news so people heard. Game industry news similarly covered the WRG layoffs, but took until today for someone to notice the news.

If we're being honest, a lot of us probably suspected something when Shan left. But we didn't do the google search to find the news story until Idol posted on Discord this morning.

Perhaps, but comparing WRG to Amazon and Google? Ya, no.

How about something like "By now you may have heard about the layoffs at TP and how they have impacted us at WRG. We will provide more information as it becomes available. We appreciate the dedication and loyalty of our players and hope for our partnership to continue for years to come."

This would’ve been a smart move. It would’ve probably created a panic, but there would’ve been a chance at long term survival then. Now, not so much.
  • SonjaSonja ✭✭✭
    On the 27 January when Shan announced us about her departure, I checked news about layoffs at Tilting Point. I found nothing. 4 - 5 days later some articles were published on the Internet
    https://mobilegamer.biz/layoffs-at-tilting-point-as-it-restructures-and-switches-strategy/

https://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/80753/tilting-point-lays-of-14-of-its-workforce/
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    No server update today either. Another bad sign. I'm hoping that we see something from @WRG Ben or @WRG_JOE today now that this news broke on the forums but their hands may be tied from above as well.
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    I'm not assuming the worst just yet, but of course my wallet just sealed shut until I've been reassured.

Same, and I suspect we are not alone. At this point though I really fear the answer is already clear.
  • cmdrworf wrote: »
    No server update today either. Another bad sign. I'm hoping that we see something from @WRG Ben or @WRG_JOE today now that this news broke on the forums but their hands may be tied from above as well.

There was a server update/push, they added a new Tier (40) to the Trill collection(just as they announced it).
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    cmdrworf wrote: »

There was a server update/push, they added a new Tier (40) to the Trill collection(just as they announced it).

Ah, didn't see it. thanks.
  • edited February 2023
    Navarch wrote: »

We all saw it coming, but I see no reason to gloat today. The folks who were laid off didn’t make the calls that poisoned the well with players. They didn’t cause the macroeconomic factors that undoubtedly sped up the process of these layoffs (high interest rates and high inflation cause investors to demand higher rates of return from companies).

I feel bad for those who were let go and for those who remain. May they all find future employers who will better enable their long term success.

Oh im definitely not gloating.

And i do feel bad for the folks who were let go, they were just following orders.

And i cant really say that my way would have saved the game with 100% certainty. But i do know that wrg/tp leadership has made a plethora of decisions that have upset the players, and ive watched those people leave the game because of it. I think those same decisions have affected the careers of those who were let go.

It certainly wasnt one critic on the forums that brought the game down.

:trollface:
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    A lot of tech companies have been laying off people. It’s sad. Hope the game continues and those affected can get new jobs.
    Let’s fly!
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    We have no idea what percent of the workforce was let go. Plenty of tech businesses have had layoffs and they are still operational.

That is right. But the team was small (around 10 people), now after the layoff it has become tiny. So if the game should continue, I don´t expect anything spectacular anymore.

• Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have no idea what percent of the workforce was let go. Plenty of tech businesses have had layoffs and they are still operational.

That is right. But the team was small (around 10 people), now after the layoff it has become tiny. So if the game should continue, I don´t expect anything spectacular anymore.

How do you know it was around 10?
  • We have no idea what percent of the workforce was let go. Plenty of tech businesses have had layoffs and they are still operational.

14%, representing in the neighborhood of 60 people according to this article:

https://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/80753/tilting-point-lays-of-14-of-its-workforce/

While it is sad when people are let go it may not be as bad as some are saying here.
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you know it was around 10?

There were some reports after the Tilting Point takeover.

• EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is definitely sad news. At the same time, this is not unusual for the tech sector generally. I find it hard to believe the game will just shut down though, at least in the immediate term. More likely it will creep along like a zombie until someone makes a decision; more likely Paramount will yank the license agreement. That being said, I’m counting on finishing this Mega.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1470 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)