Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: Mistress of the Mirror - 07/26

Comments

• Options
    Secret JourneySecret Journey ✭✭✭✭
    I like how everyone is assuming everyone else's gender, or that they've picked one in the first place. It's transphobic and entirely uncalled for. Each and every one of you needs to take a good long look in the mirror and determine whether you want to be part of the 24th century or not. It's also bigoted to criticize subcultures and their dialectic norms, like Dixon's. I weep for the future, as it is discriminatory and fascist.

GOOD DAY.

I'm glad I wasn't drinking something when I read that. :D

Not so lucky here dang it...keyboard is jacked up now
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options
    kapukapu ✭✭✭
    LOL What are you all complaining about, the opening dialogue was exellente! Fits perfectly for a 1930s private eye detective like Dixon. Haven't you seen the episodes?? Or any time period detective stuff...
    Great immersion and giorgiou was openly hostile towards federation as always.

I rarely read those plot texts but am glad I did this time. Gave me a chuckle.
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    iw9ip6027tfg.jpeg
    jpw0npes2km6.jpeg
    ni8oz2vbe7u4.jpeg
    jhkyj0ida2b9.jpeg
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    Davey1983Davey1983 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    kapu wrote: »
    LOL What are you all complaining about, the opening dialogue was exellente! Fits perfectly for a 1930s private eye detective like Dixon. Haven't you seen the episodes?? Or any time period detective stuff...
    Great immersion and giorgiou was openly hostile towards federation as always.

I rarely read those plot texts but am glad I did this time. Gave me a chuckle.

Some people need to be offended just to be offended. I will grant that Picard, even as Dixon, never spoke like that. However, to claim it is sexist is a rather big stretch.
  • Options
    Agreed, like where did eating lettuce become Sexists? What are they teaching in school or is this just another made up ....I'll say anything just too be noticed.
  • Options
    What’s going on with this ‘Brofleet’? It’s players from a bunch of different fleets joining together but why? Just look at the event leaderboard and so many people from this new fleet are dominating I’m just wondering what’s going on.

Now this is note worthy!
  • Options
    kapukapu ✭✭✭
    ZEB :-) wrote: »
    What’s going on with this ‘Brofleet’? It’s players from a bunch of different fleets joining together but why? Just look at the event leaderboard and so many people from this new fleet are dominating I’m just wondering what’s going on.

Now this is note worthy!

eh there's a post explaining this Brofleet stuff... They're just Bros helping a lonely Bro with his fleet.
    Captain Lvl 99; Vip0; 552 Unique Immortals; Fleet: Omega Molecules; Base Lvl 134 (MAX); Playing Since March 2016.
  • Options

Now this is note worthy!

eh there's a post explaining this Brofleet stuff... They're just Bros helping a lonely Bro with his fleet.

I know, I posted that comment before I saw the discussion
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    Suspect quite a few players will hold back in anticipation of the Mega following it next Thursday, others because its yet more Cmd - Dip - Sec crew yet many will still play especially more recent players who'll appreciate the new cards.
  • Options
    yrg5jyg9teiy.png
    Hopefully I can add stars to her!

The minute she walked into Timelines, you could tell she was a ball-bustin' broad, so good looking, with boots made for walking ALL over us. ;)
  • Options
    [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hang on, so The Empress is Picard in drag, and Dixon is a holoprogram?

Okay now it makes sense. I'm off to eat some "limp lettuce" and ponder on the meaning of tossed word salads.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Hang on, so The Empress is Picard in drag, and Dixon is a holoprogram?

Okay now it makes sense. I'm off to eat some "limp lettuce" and ponder on the meaning of tossed word salads.

8jelv63hu0en.gif
  • Options

Now this is note worthy!

g89cj1m8whw4.gif
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RennJaxo wrote: »
    Navarch wrote: »
    9pn1b3qb3pbq.png

I didn’t get the earlier screenshot, but this one of Picard just sounds wrong.

Picard saying "ball-bustin' broad" is more upsetting to me then Tilly rocking the f-word.

And I'm no prude, that's just...as un-Picard as you can get.

I can't believe you take the time to read the script in the first place. I guess I should be offended by those who eat bacon, or lettuce, or use Salt. I am so glad I can take things with a grain of salt. There are bigger ditches or should I say glitches that need attention by DB in how players can manipulate the Events to their advantage. BRO's
    Peace out :-)

Well said! Isn’t there more important things to worry about?
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't have time to come to the forum earlier when I encountered the dialogue already quoted and shown in screenshots, but yeah, definitely add me to the list of objectors. @Davey1983 is straight up wrong. "...A ball-bustin' Terran broad" is unarguably sexist. There isn't even room for interpretation here. The only way that isn't sexist is if you lack reading comprehension skills altogether.

It would still be sexist even if it was consistent with dialogue from canon, which it is not. "Dame", certainly. But "broad"? Nah. And "ball-bustin'"? Double nah.

Nor is this me "wanting" or "needing" to be offended by things. I prefer to be missed by as many offensive things throughout my waking hours as I can. Being offended isn't some kind of collecting activity, where I level up by being offended by X things each day. It's an organic reaction to offensive things. And having Picard as Dixon Hill refer to Emperor Philippa Georgiou as "a ball-bustin' Terran broad" is offensive.

Picard never said "broad", but it was used by holographic characters.
    CRUSHER: Something on your mind?
    SERGEANT: Yeah, nut I'm not sure it can be repeated in mixed company. (he offers her gum) You're a pretty hep lookin' broad.
    CRUSHER: Is that good?
    SERGEANT: It ain't bad. You like Tommy Dorsey? (she nods) I got two tickets for the dance tomorrow night.

http://www.chakoteya.net/NextGen/113.htm
    REX: Good God, what's that?
    (Lwaxana and Homn enter)
    REX: I'll bet that's the broad with the big bucks. Come on over here, darlin'. I got the best stool in the house saved for you.
    LWAXANA: So, this is where you've been hiding, Jean-Luc. I'm surprised you let this part of the ship get this dirty. Oh, relax, Commander. You've been making your true feelings quite clear. Obviously you feel unable to handle me.
    REX: Anyway, why would a beautiful high-class lady like yourself want to hook up with a mug like that? You're too good for him, if you ask me.

http://www.chakoteya.net/NextGen/145.htm
  • Options
    I suggest you go back and watch the opening to the episode "Clues." By that time, Picard had definitely wrapped is head around the vernacular.
  • Options
    Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    On this conversation about Dixon/Picard's dialogue: I agree it's out of character for Picard to stay in character as Dixon in an outside-the-holodeck emergency like this. That said, I don't think we need to get outraged every time a character in the game says/does something sexist/racist/offensive if it is in keeping with the character. While Star Trek was part of helping contemporary society (from the 1960s on) overcome some of those prejudices -- and I think it had a very positive impact on increasing tolerance and recognizing equality of those of different races/genders/orientations/etc. -- there were still plenty of moments that characters on the show didn't live up to the highest ideals. That's part of being humanoid. That's to say nothing of the bad guys. We don't need to approve of those actions/attitudes/etc., but neither do we need to sanitize everything.

Excellent post, I fully agree. Acceptance and equality and fair treatment of everyone, should mean that we all become comfortable enough with each other that we don't assume the worst of a person's intentions. I have zero doubt that the staff of STT making this great game for us, were not going out of their way to write something offensive. I thought it was actually pretty appropriate to the time frame, because of the kind of typical dialogue during the time frame Dixon's character represents.

I can see an argument that perhaps Picard's character would not choose those words, and there's no harm in pointing out your opinion on that, but I think it's huge overkill to get out our pitchforks and turn this into a hunt. As an example, the phrase "ball-busting" seemed to offend some people, but that's an expression from that time frame that we are all familiar with and we know is historically relevant, AND we all know what is meant by it. Are we really offended that Dixon was pointing out that she's a strong-willed, sometimes aggressively loud and opinionated woman? I'd say Lwaxana's character quite possibly fits that description better than any other character in Trek.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    On this conversation about Dixon/Picard's dialogue: I agree it's out of character for Picard to stay in character as Dixon in an outside-the-holodeck emergency like this. That said, I don't think we need to get outraged every time a character in the game says/does something sexist/racist/offensive if it is in keeping with the character. While Star Trek was part of helping contemporary society (from the 1960s on) overcome some of those prejudices -- and I think it had a very positive impact on increasing tolerance and recognizing equality of those of different races/genders/orientations/etc. -- there were still plenty of moments that characters on the show didn't live up to the highest ideals. That's part of being humanoid. That's to say nothing of the bad guys. We don't need to approve of those actions/attitudes/etc., but neither do we need to sanitize everything.

Well said.

The only part of the intro that seemed out of place for me was the "ball-bustin'" comment. Not only does it seem out of character for Picard, but it also seems out of character for Dix. "Ball-bustin'" is more of a modern slang term, rather than common language that would fit in the Dixon Hill era alongside "broad", "dame", etc...

It would fit better if Dix had referred to her with a line like "a hard dame looking to put the screws on me". Check out various online slang dictionaries for the roaring 20's / Al Capone era terminology.
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh, the number of seats on all these shuttle missions.
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh, the number of seats on all these shuttle missions.

I’m not sure what you mean by this... it’s the first time in a while I’ve been able to run four missions with three seaters (12 crew - all bonus). And other than some ENG slots, been able to match up pretty well. Haven’t been this happy with shuttle selections since they got rid of two seat shuttles.
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess would be the 5 seaters aren’t being skipped.
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, I admit I can't stand leaving shuttles opened but not started, because I constantly find myself checking the app and thinking missions are finished. So I run them all.

I have about 3/4 of the available bonus crew, and I try to space them out well, but I'm having trouble filling 4 shuttles. The fourth is basically a guaranteed fail.
  • Options
    I am also running everything I open. Nothing is guaranteed to fail, but I am occasionally running something in the 70%.
  • Options
    wfgwfg ✭✭
    Is the "Under the Rug" Terran mission (3-seater) erroneously only considering two of the slots in determining success/fail? See attached.

39azlv7aviy8.png
    fiy18pvjardl.png