Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: An Even Field - 08/09 (Mega-Event#2)

Comments

• GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I crazy to be worried about filling 4 shuttles with enough bonus crew?
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the discussion comments on various crew have been over-the-top. Some have just been for a laugh, if perhaps not the greatest thing to write. Some are just plain horrible.

This Yar in particular is different. This version of Yar only had one purpose. One can use whatever justification one wants, but in the end this version of Yar only exists to be sexy. There is nothing wrong with pointing that out.

That said, I personally don't care if I get the card. I'll try as hard as ever on the event, but I've never broken top 1000 on a faction event, and I can't see how Temptress Yar could have any game skills worth fighting for.
  • Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a girl, in a relationship with a man, where it rather difficult to work out which one of us 'likes' Deanna/jadzia/Seven the most, can i say It's not just gawking. I remember commenting how much I liked the art on Moogie when she was released. That's not necessarily a 'look how hot she is' just I thought her a great looking card, that I still like looking at.

I do think I also have a bit of a weakness for Spock. I cant help finding some cards more attractive than others, I don't mean it to be a derogatory thing.

My OH is peering over my shoulder going 'Spock eh?' 😂😂

Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
    edited August 2018
    Lets at least wait till we actually see DB's art. Although as a guy, I wouldn't mind starting a new collection of "exposed midriffs" with Mirror Troi, Sato, and this new Yar. ;)

Meanwhile, I'm still sad they went with the less sexy uniform for Mirror T'Pol.
  • I don't blame the TNG writers for Tasha's horrible character, I blame the director(s) and probably producers for not letting her be a stronger character than she was written. And Denise wasn't the strongest actor to play that role anyway. I feel the same way about her as I feel about Kes in VOY, both were miscast.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • What kinda name is "polywater"?

Polywater intoxication is what infected the crew of the Enterprise in the TNG episode 'The Naked Now'.

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kinda name is "polywater"?

Polywater intoxication is what infected the crew of the Enterprise in the TNG episode 'The Naked Now'.

If you wanna know the pseudo-science behind it (via Memory Alpha):

Polywater was a polymerized form of standard water, meaning it was a very long molecule of water consisting of repetitions of many similar molecular subunits. Under certain extreme gravimetric conditions (like those existing during the breakup of the planet Psi 2000, or the collapse of a red supergiant star into a white dwarf), polywater can form.

When introduced into the systems of humanoids, polywater intoxication could occur if the polywater acquires carbon from the body, acting on the brain in ways similar to extreme alcohol intoxication. It had a similar effect on Data's positronic brain in 2364. Polywater infected blood also had the ability to melt itself from a frozen state, move along surfaces and jump for short distances to infect a host.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Not necessarily. With all of the four- and five-slot shuttles we’re liable to get and only twenty-three crew that provide an event bonus (20 existing plus Polywater Yar and Admiral Ross) most people will likely have trouble filling all slots with bonus crew. And of those 23, one is a 2*, three are 3*, and five are 5* (with only Ru’afo being very common). Not to mention that one of the 4* crew is Thot Gor, and not likely to be owned by many beyond 1/4* (if at all).

Looking at my crew, I’ll really only have 11 effective bonus crew and that assumes I can finish the new Founder in time and includes my 3/4* Warship Yar. I will have some pretty short voyages next weekend with all of my other mega event legendaries tied up filling the remaining shuttle slots, that’s for sure.
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    This thread seems split between people talking about how poorly the character of Yar was treated in the writing and for exploiting her sexuality and people making sexist comments about her, mostly regarding her sexuality.

Yeah. And?

And I find it pretty disgusting how many comments like that there are on these threads, not to mention when a new Jadzia is released.

Throw a pretty girl into a geek pit and your going to get some gawking. That’s life.

I don't see a problem with enjoying someone's attractiveness, and even specifically commenting on how great they look in a particular outfit. Being turned on by the appearance of another is built-in to the human psyche. And we're equal opportunists on this forum — it's not just straight men — for example, I've come across more than a few appreciative mentions of Tucker in his various stages of undress, not to mention shirtless Archer. ;)

I am a particularly vocal advocate of more scantily clad Tuckers :p More I say!
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Data1001 wrote: »
    This thread seems split between people talking about how poorly the character of Yar was treated in the writing and for exploiting her sexuality and people making sexist comments about her, mostly regarding her sexuality.

Yeah. And?

And I find it pretty disgusting how many comments like that there are on these threads, not to mention when a new Jadzia is released.

Throw a pretty girl into a geek pit and your going to get some gawking. That’s life.

I don't see a problem with enjoying someone's attractiveness, and even specifically commenting on how great they look in a particular outfit. Being turned on by the appearance of another is built-in to the human psyche. And we're equal opportunists on this forum — it's not just straight men — for example, I've come across more than a few appreciative mentions of Tucker in his various stages of undress, not to mention shirtless Archer. ;)

That’s one thing Enterprise did better than the other shows; sexiest and fittest Star Trek crew ever.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.

Yeah. And?

That’s one thing Enterprise did better than the other shows; sexiest and fittest Star Trek crew ever.

Sadly though, it didn't make use of half its crew most times. I mean Mayweather is super attractive and yet, we barely got any screentime of him and I don't even think we got a scene with skin :cry:
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    edited August 2018
    While Yar doesn't particularly excite me, I will withhold all my judgement of whether I will try to get her or not based on what stats she gets next week.

If she turns out to be a super-high skill stat DIP, MED, SEC or super high proficiency one, then I'll spring for her. Hopefully the art will be good, I do like that outfit. But I think DB had better plan her to be one or the other of those (super high skill or super high proficiency for gauntlet) because I have a feeling the top 1000 next week will be pretty low of a threshold otherwise.
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah. And?

Sadly though, it didn't make use of half its crew most times. I mean Mayweather is super attractive and yet, we barely got any screentime of him and I don't even think we got a scene with skin :cry:

He had his underwear scene like most everyone in Enterprise... ;)

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/File:Mayweather_in_underwear.jpg

Yeah. And?

I stand corrected and instead alter my statement to: he had too few.
  • Data1001 wrote: »

Yeah. And?

I stand corrected and instead alter my statement to: he had too few.

Ah, Travis and Tucker...yum.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Also, it occurs to me that someone at DB should look into the decision making process for Yar variants. To date:

Warship Yar - She dies for the second time
    Duelist Yar - From the most racist episode in the canon
    Polywater Yar - She's so intoxicated she can't meet the legal standard for giving informed consent to sexual activity

What's next for dear old Tasha? Rape Gang Escapee Yar from "Hide and Q"? Hologram Yar delivering her own eulogy?

(I mostly kid about Warship Yar; that's an important episode and merits inclusion. The others, though, are conspicuously problematic.)

Don’t blame DB. Blame the TNG writers. She was only on for season plus a few episodes and they managed to check all the cringe boxes.

Her Wikipedia page is awesome. First it makes a ridiculous claim that the character was a forerunner for strong female characters. Lol. Then it drops the nugget that the writer felt the need to write an episode establishing that she was indeed heterosexual. I wish they had felt the need to not **Chech'tluth** at writing this character. That would have been great.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasha_Yar
    “She was described as a forerunner to other strong women in science fiction, such as Kara Thrace from the 2004 version of Battlestar Galactica, while providing a step between the appearances of female characters on The Original Series to the command positions they have on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Voyager. Questions were raised over the sexuality of the character, and it was thought that the events in the episode "The Naked Now" were designed to establish her heterosexuality.

I never saw her as strong. Not even as a forerunner to strong. I found her to be whinging and insecure. And I had zero confidence in her ability to perform her function. I'm pretty sure even Bev Crusher could have knocked her out in one blow. She was basically just Star Trek's longest-lived redshirt, and when she finally got snuffed, I felt nothing.

Sorry if this offends any sensibilities. To be fair, though, the characterizations for Security Chiefs, in general, are pretty bad. Reed also worked on my nerves, and Worf spent many seasons being the Enterprise's whipping boy, grunting and huffing every step of the way. Tuvok, at least, had some gravitas.

TLDR: The worst character from TNG, as she appeared in the worst episode of TNG, holds zero appeal to me. I'll save my boosts, tyvm.
  • I've got a soft spot for Tasha, if only because she was badly written and cast. She was, of course, supposed to be ship's counselor and I think she'd have been much better in that role. Deanna brought it of course. But as mentioned above, most security officers are annoyingly written. Truth is she'd have been better at Comms Officer or something.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I'm a big Tasha fan. Though probably more a Denise fan. And probably more a Trekkies Denise fan.

Can we get worst possible time guy as a gray character??
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • So happy Admiral Ross is being added to the game.
    I’ve been suggesting him for a long long time now.
    Thank you DB 🙏🏼
    Just hope the crew artwork is better than my mock-up...
    ehrb40aoyou5.jpeg
    https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/1472/image-inside-tribute-to-barry-jenner-who-played-admiral-william-ross#latest
    Joined game 6th March 2016
  • KTzKTz ✭✭✭
    What kind of Dominion megaevent is this, without dominion new crew?
  • KTzKTz ✭✭✭
    An admiral should be 5 star no doubt
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    KTz wrote: »

Personally I associate Admiral Ross pretty closely with the Dominion, even if he isn't a member of it. Ru'afo, too.
  • More Dominion crew for Dominion mega-event.
    No please, no argument.
    Just "More Dominion crew for Dominion mega-event."
  • Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    KTz wrote: »

Personally I associate Admiral Ross pretty closely with the Dominion, even if he isn't a member of it. Ru'afo, too.

I agree with this. Ross had a huge involvement with the Dominion War.
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I remember way way back that Marina originally read for the role of Tasha Yar. Wouldn't THAT have changed the show!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I agree Admiral Ross is easily worthy of having been a 5* character, at least we've finally gotten him.

Although yea, after sleeping on it, it's kinda strange to me that they're picking this effectively "softcore" Yar as the character's first canon 5*. She DID deserve one, but I don't know if this is it.

What I'm saying is this would probably make more sense if those two characters' positions were reversed, Ross the 5* and Polywater Yar the 4*.

I agree. Warship Yar was probably the best option for a legendary Tasha.

edited August 2018
    RennJaxo wrote: »
    While I agree Admiral Ross is easily worthy of having been a 5* character, at least we've finally gotten him.

Although yea, after sleeping on it, it's kinda strange to me that they're picking this effectively "softcore" Yar as the character's first canon 5*. She DID deserve one, but I don't know if this is it.

What I'm saying is this would probably make more sense if those two characters' positions were reversed, Ross the 5* and Polywater Yar the 4*.

I agree. Warship Yar was probably the best option for a legendary Tasha.

Speaking of the "Warship" set (Janeway, Chakotay, Tuvok, Yar), it really bothers me that Tuvok is the only 5* of that bunch. Although I can't wait to see Warship Doctor. Or more from the Warship Enterprise-D in "Yesterday's Enterprise."
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭

For good reason, there is not a lot of Science in that pool.
    Intentionally Left Blank