Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: An Even Field - 08/09 (Mega-Event#2)

Comments

• Also, it occurs to me that someone at DB should look into the decision making process for Yar variants. To date:

Warship Yar - She dies for the second time
    Duelist Yar - From the most racist episode in the canon
    Polywater Yar - She's so intoxicated she can't meet the legal standard for giving informed consent to sexual activity

What's next for dear old Tasha? Rape Gang Escapee Yar from "Hide and Q"? Hologram Yar delivering her own eulogy?

(I mostly kid about Warship Yar; that's an important episode and merits inclusion. The others, though, are conspicuously problematic.)

Don’t blame DB. Blame the TNG writers. She was only on for season plus a few episodes and they managed to check all the cringe boxes.

Her Wikipedia page is awesome. First it makes a ridiculous claim that the character was a forerunner for strong female characters. Lol. Then it drops the nugget that the writer felt the need to write an episode establishing that she was indeed heterosexual. I wish they had felt the need to not **tsk tsk** at writing this character. That would have been great.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasha_Yar
    “She was described as a forerunner to other strong women in science fiction, such as Kara Thrace from the 2004 version of Battlestar Galactica, while providing a step between the appearances of female characters on The Original Series to the command positions they have on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Voyager. Questions were raised over the sexuality of the character, and it was thought that the events in the episode "The Naked Now" were designed to establish her heterosexuality.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion: gimmie a red-shirt Ross instead of the 'War Uniform"... come at me

Make War Uniform Admiral Ross a 5* later and I'm in.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amphistaff wrote: »
    4* Ross.. uhhhhgg.
    Edit: Just looked up "Poly Water" Yar.
    My previous meme applies.
    I guess she's gonna be Diplomacy Primary huh ? Ya know whad I'm sayin lol :P

Should be MED in there too based on precedent (Tourist Quark). Dip is music and the arts, Med is.... about being fully functional...

I was thinking MED as well. I know that situation would have made me feel all better inside!
    S31 wrote: »
    Admiral Ross will be another Com, Dip...plus something combo

I'm anticipating SEC, given that he worked with Section 31 and was the Federation's Supreme Commander (or equivalent thereof). For that reason, I'm running S31 and Maquis shuttles until the event starts.
  • [NDQ] Joker41NAM[NDQ] Joker41NAM ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I know people will hate me for saying this, but I hope Drunk Yar is the first single-skill 5* in the game. Give her DIP through the roof (like 1500 base and an average proficiency), and make people fret about how to use her...

EDIT: As is pointed out below, I forgot about Captain Scott; so Drunk Yar would be the 2nd single-skill 5*.
  • Yateball wrote: »
    I know people will hate me for saying this, but I hope Drunk Yar is the first single-skill 5* in the game. Give her DIP through the roof (like 1500 base and an average proficiency), and make people fret about how to use her...

Are you unaware of the existence of Captain Scott?

i was unaware. I don't have him, so never paid much attention. I thought he at least had some CMD as a secondary (makes sense for a captain).
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Yateball wrote: »

Are you unaware of the existence of Captain Scott?

i was unaware. I don't have him, so never paid much attention. I thought he at least had some CMD as a secondary (makes sense for a captain).

Oh believe me I've barked up that tree... but yes he's just ENG, and not spectacular ENG either... just "good" assuming he gets a good roll
    Also, it occurs to me that someone at DB should look into the decision making process for Yar variants. To date:

Polywater Yar - She's so intoxicated she can't meet the legal standard for giving informed consent to sexual activity

What's next for dear old Tasha? Rape Gang Escapee Yar from "Hide and Q"? Hologram Yar delivering her own eulogy?

(I mostly kid about Warship Yar; that's an important episode and merits inclusion. The others, though, are conspicuously problematic.)

Don’t blame DB. Blame the TNG writers. She was only on for season plus a few episodes and they managed to check all the cringe boxes.

Her Wikipedia page is awesome. First it makes a ridiculous claim that the character was a forerunner for strong female characters. Lol. Then it drops the nugget that the writer felt the need to write an episode establishing that she was indeed heterosexual. I wish they had felt the need to not **Chech'tluth** at writing this character. That would have been great.

“She was described as a forerunner to other strong women in science fiction, such as Kara Thrace from the 2004 version of Battlestar Galactica, while providing a step between the appearances of female characters on The Original Series to the command positions they have on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Voyager. Questions were raised over the sexuality of the character, and it was thought that the events in the episode "The Naked Now" were designed to establish her heterosexuality.

I do blame the TNG writers for the choices they made for the character that have given DB so little to work with. I also blame DB for going ahead and working with it despite how awful the choices are. Unless there's some contractual obligation, there's no compelling need to pick from among the existing canonical Yars when there's no shortage of other, less problematic choices.

Also, it's funny that "The Naked Now" was intended to show us that Tasha was straight. For one thing, it's the first episode after the pilot, so someone must have been freaked out about her in "Encounter at Farpoint". But also, before she hooks up with Data, the first thing we see her do once infected is break into Troi's quarters and rummage through her clothes for something to wear because she loves how Troi dresses. Though the dialogue itself is mundane, I always felt there was some subtext to that scene based on the way Crosby played it.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, it occurs to me that someone at DB should look into the decision making process for Yar variants. To date:

You forgot the non-canon Amelia Earhart, er, I mean Aviator Yar.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends

I was replying to @FutureImperfecta's point about there being so few canonical options for her without resorting to Timelines original personae.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭

I was replying to @FutureImperfecta's point about there being so few canonical options for her without resorting to Timelines original personae.

Oh, I see. Got it.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    They could do a Mirror Yar. In that universe she could be a librarian that helps this universe deal with all the bureaucracy of people coming through the anomaly.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Her Wikipedia page is awesome. First it makes a ridiculous claim that the character was a forerunner for strong female characters. Lol. Then it drops the nugget that the writer felt the need to write an episode establishing that she was indeed heterosexual. I wish they had felt the need to not **Chech'tluth** at writing this character. That would have been great.

Ellen Ripley disapproves of everyone who thinks there were no strong women in science fiction before 2004. I bet a number of Heinlein characters would do so as well.

That being said, Yar was one of the chief victims of poor writing in season 1...I wonder how her character arc would have gone if she had made it deeper into the show or if the first season writers didn’t have their heads lodged in their rectums.
  • This thread seems split between people talking about how poorly the character of Yar was treated in the writing and for exploiting her sexuality and people making sexist comments about her, mostly regarding her sexuality.
  • They could do a Mirror Yar. In that universe she could be a librarian that helps this universe deal with all the bureaucracy of people coming through the anomaly.

There was a Mirror Yar in the comics. She was killed be Barclay in the first issue IIRC.
    We are recruiting for our sister fleet, Mirror Klingon Marauders! Contact me via private message if interested
  • t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

One quibble, Warship Yar was arguably the best the character was ever handled, and she did not die in the episode, she went back in time and lived for quite a while. The character was sent off with dignity and bravery.

I'd argue it's the most complimentary version of Yar possible.

I get you were mostly kidding, but I think shes far beyond "meriting inclusion."

• Wohoooooooo Yar 😘
    🤣👍👍👍
    Thanks DB!
  • KTzKTz ✭✭✭
    Why is not Goran'Agar in this Dominion megaevent? I hoped to see him as ranked somewhere.
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭

One quibble, Warship Yar was arguably the best the character was ever handled, and she did not die in the episode, she went back in time and lived for quite a while. The character was sent off with dignity and bravery.

I'd argue it's the most complimentary version of Yar possible.

I get you were mostly kidding, but I think shes far beyond "meriting inclusion."

They could even do a quasi-canon Prisoner Yar based on that storyline, actually.
  • ADMIRAL ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Ahem.
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KTz wrote: »
    Why is not Goran'Agar in this Dominion megaevent? I hoped to see him as ranked somewhere.

Because except for mirror-mega event that mega-event is just for shoehorning anything possible and ignoring the main theme.

I fully expect something like Hirogen or Xindi in next events.
    This thread seems split between people talking about how poorly the character of Yar was treated in the writing and for exploiting her sexuality and people making sexist comments about her, mostly regarding her sexuality.

Yeah. And?
  • Been waiting a long time for this...
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    KTz wrote: »

There is still two weeks of announcements left, and given that Goran'Agar makes his own White, there is still a place for him in the plot.

(I'm hoping to finish him out too)
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yar doesn't excite me. But her with MED is an interesting prospect.
    Still, the name Polywater Yar just doesn't roll off the tongue. Why not simply Intoxicated Yar, Inebriated Yar, Tempted Yar, Temptress Yar, or Infatuated Yar?
    All of those names are 10x better.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Banjo1012 wrote: »
    This thread seems split between people talking about how poorly the character of Yar was treated in the writing and for exploiting her sexuality and people making sexist comments about her, mostly regarding her sexuality.

Yeah. And?

And I find it pretty disgusting how many comments like that there are on these threads, not to mention when a new Jadzia is released.
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

Yeah. And?

And I find it pretty disgusting how many comments like that there are on these threads, not to mention when a new Jadzia is released.

Throw a pretty girl into a geek pit and your going to get some gawking. That’s life.

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah. And?

Throw a pretty girl into a geek pit and your going to get some gawking. That’s life.

I don't see a problem with enjoying someone's attractiveness, and even specifically commenting on how great they look in a particular outfit. Being turned on by the appearance of another is built-in to the human psyche. And we're equal opportunists on this forum — it's not just straight men — for example, I've come across more than a few appreciative mentions of Tucker in his various stages of undress, not to mention shirtless Archer. ;)

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
    Data1001 wrote: »

Yeah. And?

I don't see a problem with enjoying someone's attractiveness, and even specifically commenting on how great they look in a particular outfit. Being turned on by the appearance of another is built-in to the human psyche. And we're equal opportunists on this forum — it's not just straight men — for example, I've come across more than a few appreciative mentions of Tucker in his various stages of undress, not to mention shirtless Archer. ;)

Very well said! Also, how happy would my life be if I didn’t make it perfectly clear to my wife that she does it for me? It’s not a bad thing, it’s complimentary