Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: An Even Field - 08/09 (Mega-Event#2)

Comments

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    The Yar artwork is okay to me, I actually have more of a problem with the torso, it looks unnaturally long.

Ah thank you for putting your finger on that — I knew something was really off about the torso, but couldn't place what it was. I decided to compare the artwork to a similar shot from the episode, lining up the screencap on a grid so that her head was the exact same size as the artwork. Take a look at how much further down her navel is...

sjsx4epay83m.jpg

(Also, I think that this comparison points out some of the huge problems I have with the face as it's drawn — for one thing, for some reason she was given a square jaw. 😕 )

Thanks for the side by side Data. It really shows how bad it is

• Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    The Yar artwork is okay to me, I actually have more of a problem with the torso, it looks unnaturally long.

Ah thank you for putting your finger on that — I knew something was really off about the torso, but couldn't place what it was. I decided to compare the artwork to a similar shot from the episode, lining up the screencap on a grid so that her head was the exact same size as the artwork. Take a look at how much further down her navel is...

sjsx4epay83m.jpg

(Also, I think that this comparison points out some of the huge problems I have with the face as it's drawn — for one thing, for some reason she was given a square jaw. 😕 )

DB, a lot of your artwork problems would be solved if you would just run them past Data1001 first. Seriously, I've just got to the stage I can hit that under 1000 mark but I'm not pushing the boat out for this. I don't like bashing the art, generally, but how do you make a beautiful woman in a seductive post look unattractive? #newlow

Her skin tone is terrible, like really bad.

@Data1001 I would also like to say I very much enjoy your artwork comparisons every week, I genuinely look forward to them. It's getting to the stage I look forward to your posts more than the actual artwork #shouldbetheotherwayaround
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    And also, PUHLEASE hide the gold and blue highlighter! There are other colours!

Edited to add that gold and blue are probably right in Yars case, but I've not seen any other highlighter for weeks. Some of the older cards have great highlighting, and I like the use of different colours.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    More blurred out smudgy artwork... Why oh why did DB do this huge song and dance about artwork feedback, seemingly fix it for awhile, then I guess assume we'll move on and forget about it and go back to just awful, lazy artwork

Ugh
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like... it should straight up embarass them to have a fantastic character model like that Mirror Garak standing behind these 2 new awful awful models.... again... ugh
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Edited to add that gold and blue are probably right in Yars case, but I've not seen any other highlighter for weeks. Some of the older cards have great highlighting, and I like the use of different colours.

At least the highlight colors are somewhat narrow...they are, I think, the thing I hate the least about this Yartwork.
    Yateball wrote: »
    More blurred out smudgy artwork... Why oh why did DB do this huge song and dance about artwork feedback, seemingly fix it for awhile, then I guess assume we'll move on and forget about it and go back to just awful, lazy artwork

Ugh

I’ll give them some credit - although Sexy Vampire Yar looks wretched, the artwork overall has rebounded from the nadir that was Mirror Reed, Mirror Data, and Captain Lorca. Someone already pointed out that Amelia Earhart looks pretty amazing and, with a few minor exceptions, we have been treated to better art in recent months.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

At least the highlight colors are somewhat narrow...they are, I think, the thing I hate the least about this Yartwork.

Ugh

I’ll give them some credit - although Sexy Vampire Yar looks wretched, the artwork overall has rebounded from the nadir that was Mirror Reed, Mirror Data, and Captain Lorca. Someone already pointed out that Amelia Earhart looks pretty amazing and, with a few minor exceptions, we have been treated to better art in recent months.

This is kind of what I mean that they're just so inconsistent still, in addition to this week's nonsense I can recall:

Diseased Changeling Founder
    Empress Georgiou
    Tourist Reed
    Mambo Picard

All had detail issues

But yet Breen Dukat, Niners Worf, Rain Robinson all looked great.... I dunno *Shrug*
  • barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭✭

For reals. I think that new 2* Geordi has been the only variation I've seen in ages, which makes me think that artwork was done a long time ago and just now being used.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    makes me think that artwork was done a long time ago and just now being used.

I suspect this may be the case. But even so, there's still really no excuse for DB releasing older artwork that is of substandard quality. I don't know if they're using in-house artists or paying freelancers these days, but if it's the latter, perhaps they just don't want to spend money twice, to have somebody else "fix" character art done months ago that doesn't stand up to the best quality stuff being done now. But they should — it hurts the bottom line. I would've bought packs if Yar looked good. Now I won't.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    2rymzsmnj6a4.png

:/
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright, this event re-ignited a question I had long ago, when watching that "Naked Now" episode for the first time. Granted, it was very early TNG, and the tone of the first season was radically different from all the following, but...

Why, oh why, would Noonien Soong design an android to have genitalia? Not just genitalia, mind you, but fully functional genitalia, that can either be in a state of rest or erection. The poor android didn't even have emotions, but hey, let's give him a working d!ck. I mean, the only "logical" explanation here is that Soong was designing the first of many "servant" androids that would cater to all of the desires of their human masters. Am I crazy?
  • Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to pull a pack later and hope that I get a Ross for an easy FF. I think I'll be disappointed if I pull a Yar.
  • I'm going to pull a pack later and hope that I get a Ross for an easy FF. I think I'll be disappointed if I pull a Yar.

Same here, Garak or Yar would be just as bad a result as each other. And Garak has been on ice for ages
    Come join our fleet! We're a great social group that helps each other. You play the way you want to, participate as much as you want and if you want to be competitive, you can be! Check out our fleet ad:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/5023/qh-the-oldest-fleet-in-timelines-l91-starbase-daily-targets-met
    Looks like Ross and Yar are both some combination of CMD-DIP-SEC.
    Alright, this event re-ignited a question I had long ago, when watching that "Naked Now" episode for the first time. Granted, it was very early TNG, and the tone of the first season was radically different from all the following, but...

Why, oh why, would Noonien Soong design an android to have genitalia? Not just genitalia, mind you, but fully functional genitalia, that can either be in a state of rest or erection. The poor android didn't even have emotions, but hey, let's give him a working d!ck. I mean, the only "logical" explanation here is that Soong was designing the first of many "servant" androids that would cater to all of the desires of their human masters. Am I crazy?

Soong intended Data to pursue humanity, not be its automated servant. I think the romance that Data had with Jenna D'Sora was a lot more in line with Soong's intentions than what Bruce Maddox wanted to do with him. In that context, it makes sense to make Data capable of exploring sexuality, not to cater to human masters but to experience that facet of life and relationships.

Alright, once again, he didn't give him emotions. But he gave him a fully functional penis.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭

Soong intended Data to pursue humanity, not be its automated servant. I think the romance that Data had with Jenna D'Sora was a lot more in line with Soong's intentions than what Bruce Maddox wanted to do with him. In that context, it makes sense to make Data capable of exploring sexuality, not to cater to human masters but to experience that facet of life and relationships.

Alright, once again, he didn't give him emotions. But he gave him a fully functional penis.

Soong did eventually create an emotion chip intended for Data though... it's not difficult to assume that the emotion chip was complex and wasn't ready when the rest of Data was... since Soong even worked on an emotion chip I'd have to assume that was in his plans for Data all along. I'm not seeing much of a reach on the making him "fully functional" stuff
    Well, then I respectfully disagree. I'm going to blame the early writing staff for not understanding what they were writing, and nothing more.
  • [10F] gobolts07 [10F] gobolts07 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t generally complain about art, etc but GOOD GOD Assimilated Vampire Yar is bad.
  • Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    n2234b216dbo.jpeg

yt2042um17rk.jpeg

Ff stats and ship skill
    ww27rq1lhdul.jpg
    Got what I wanted.
  • [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    2s initialize on a 375% burst?
  • RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, somewhat disappointing stats on Admiral Harris/Ross.

Not unexpected though, I suppose.
  • Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, this may change arena dynamics. Also will shorten skirmish lengths.
  • [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »

I think it could shorten skirmish lengths, but don’t see her as viable in the arena, that -2 evasion can kill
    Well, looks like Ross is going in the freezer.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it could shorten skirmish lengths, but don’t see her as viable in the arena, that -2 evasion can kill

Her along with Killy's quick initialize is going to be insane... even with cloaks you just wait it out and pop both of them and it's over
  • TcalTcal ✭✭✭

Skirmish Synergy

Her along with Killy's quick initialize is going to be insane... even with cloaks you just wait it out and pop both of them and it's over

Locutus + Polywater Yar will be a nasty combo.
  • Yar looks ok at first glance but then further inspection shows her full body, whereupon she ends up looking horrible. I think a lot of it has to do with that stupid pose they gave her for some reason. She’s suppose to be standing there, revealing herself, simple, straight with arms at her sides, not trying to twist her torso into some kind of weird mating dance.

Finally, why is Ross a Cultural Figure? He’s just an admiral, albeit an important one during the Dominion War and all but still just another Starfleet admiral, not the Emissary or anything.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.