Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: An Even Field - 08/09 (Mega-Event#2)

1234568»

Comments

• Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found it really interesting that all of the 5 seat shuttles are "or" exclusively. There are no "and" seats in any of the six 5 seaters.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally, why is Ross a Cultural Figure? He’s just an admiral, albeit an important one during the Dominion War and all but still just another Starfleet admiral, not the Emissary or anything.

I guess it depends on when he's supposed to be from. If it's the very end of the series, then he would count; he was the primary Starfleet signatory of the surrender. (Would you consider General MacArthur to be a cultural figure? A lot of people would.)

Also, maybe it's just that I haven't gone back and watched the show for a while, but does anyone else think Ross's neck grew a couple inches?

That was my thought as well. I think Cultural Figure is defensible if you're imagining what the overall viewpoint of him back on Earth would be at the end of the Dominion War. MacArthur is a fair comparison in some ways, as is someone like Eisenhower (whose role in the West at the head of three allies during the North African campaign closely resembles Ross's role with the Klingons and Romulans, where he was the glue that held the trio together).

I'm talking myself past defensible and right into 'good job' territory.

Perhaps. But there was no evidence in the show that anyone "back home" was even aware of his role, etc. This stands in marked contrast to the Changeling Founder and Emperor Georgiou who were both revered and treated as cultural figures within the show itself. Yet somehow those two did not receive the Cultural Figure trait.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found it really interesting that all of the 5 seat shuttles are "or" exclusively. There are no "and" seats in any of the six 5 seaters.

I believe that's been that way for a while ever since the first AND gate.
  • Finally, why is Ross a Cultural Figure? He’s just an admiral, albeit an important one during the Dominion War and all but still just another Starfleet admiral, not the Emissary or anything.

I guess it depends on when he's supposed to be from. If it's the very end of the series, then he would count; he was the primary Starfleet signatory of the surrender. (Would you consider General MacArthur to be a cultural figure? A lot of people would.)

Also, maybe it's just that I haven't gone back and watched the show for a while, but does anyone else think Ross's neck grew a couple inches?

That was my thought as well. I think Cultural Figure is defensible if you're imagining what the overall viewpoint of him back on Earth would be at the end of the Dominion War. MacArthur is a fair comparison in some ways, as is someone like Eisenhower (whose role in the West at the head of three allies during the North African campaign closely resembles Ross's role with the Klingons and Romulans, where he was the glue that held the trio together).

I'm talking myself past defensible and right into 'good job' territory.

Perhaps. But there was no evidence in the show that anyone "back home" was even aware of his role, etc. This stands in marked contrast to the Changeling Founder and Emperor Georgiou who were both revered and treated as cultural figures within the show itself. Yet somehow those two did not receive the Cultural Figure trait.

And both really ought to have it. But trait inconsistency has long been a hallmark of this game.
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Kaitee wrote: »
    I'd like to see Even In The 24th Century It's The 80s Tasha from 'Haven':
    tve3886-322-19871128-0.jpg

Flock Of Seagulls Tasha

"Space Age Love Song"
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    After reading the opening text of this event, I am even more confused by the character selection.

Mirror Garak references the Obsidian Order, but was that even a thing in the mirror universe? Another Garak variant would likely have been a better choice, though Obsidian Order Garak is already a 5* crew, but I suppose they needed a 4* crew.

Vampire Yar also seems like an odd choice, given the reference to Sela, who is technically the daughter of Warship Yar, an existing 4* variant.

I feel like if they wanted to maintain the Romulan/Cardassian angle, they could have used Warship Yar as the existing 4*, made Admiral Ross the new 5*, and introduced a new Obsidian Order crew/variant.

The crew selection just seems forced and sloppy.

I was thinking the same thing. The only daughter Vampire Yar should be referring to is a half android daughter.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing. The only daughter Vampire Yar should be referring to is a half android daughter.

The happy parents and their beautiful child...

4rfb4h3yjlva.jpg

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright, this event re-ignited a question I had long ago, when watching that "Naked Now" episode for the first time. Granted, it was very early TNG, and the tone of the first season was radically different from all the following, but...

Why, oh why, would Noonien Soong design an android to have genitalia? Not just genitalia, mind you, but fully functional genitalia, that can either be in a state of rest or erection. The poor android didn't even have emotions, but hey, let's give him a working d!ck. I mean, the only "logical" explanation here is that Soong was designing the first of many "servant" androids that would cater to all of the desires of their human masters. Am I crazy?

Soong intended Data to pursue humanity, not be its automated servant. I think the romance that Data had with Jenna D'Sora was a lot more in line with Soong's intentions than what Bruce Maddox wanted to do with him. In that context, it makes sense to make Data capable of exploring sexuality, not to cater to human masters but to experience that facet of life and relationships.

Alright, once again, he didn't give him emotions. But he gave him a fully functional penis.

Sexuality is more complex than "sex requires emotion". There are, for instance, aromantic people who maintain active sex lives. There are demisexual people, who by default have no sexual attraction or desire for anyone, but can develop those feelings for specific people depending on their relationship dynamics. Granted, these are groups that do still have emotional presence that is outside what Dr. Soong imbued Data with at the outset. My point in citing them is not to suggest that Data belongs to either such group, but rather to underscore the nuances and complexities of sexuality.

On a more extreme level--and closer to Data--there are also people with psychopathy who are sexually active despite not having the capacity to love whatsoever. This now has me wondering why we haven't talked about Data as being a psychopath all these years. Sometimes the Internet is eye-opening!
  • [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Unnecessary comment removed, please be more mindful in the future, thanks. ˜Shan
    I hardly see how a romantic or emotional experience is necessary. The question therefore is does Data get 'urges' or is he just up for it when the occasion arises. I'd say it's the latter. How much enjoyment he gets out of it is another matter. Someone without emotions is unlikely to either enjoy or hate it.

He is the ultimate sex doll. If you find him sexually attractive, that is.

Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Did you really have to go there? The imagery you conjured up in that last example was incredibly disturbing. [EDIT: Thanks for the snip, Shan.]

In any case, this thread has gotten wayyyyy off topic.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Did you really have to go there? The imagery you conjured up in that last example was incredibly disturbing.

In any case, this thread has gotten wayyyyy off topic.

Yeah I don’t see the necessity in bringing all that up.

• ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a thread about the current event, let's keep on topic please. Thanks.
  • Mm looks like I passed a boundary there. Perhaps a discussion for another forum. Apols to those who got the heebie jeebies from that, it's a rather unnerving topic I'll admit.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • garnergarner ✭✭✭

Do you not just ignore them and pull another shuttle?
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    garner wrote: »

Always ignore 5 seat shuttles, there is no profit in it...... :smiley:
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    garner wrote: »

Always ignore 5 seat shuttles, there is no profit in it...... :smiley:

Especially since you only burn the tickets once every 12 hours, allowing you to run 4 waves of shuttles against a single set of wasted tickets.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Webberoni wrote: »

The crew selection just seems forced and sloppy.

Yeah pretty much that. for all the reasons you stated, but the root cause is forced and sloppy. Which also leads to bad faction selections for the missions. (KCA vs Cardassian, etc)

I actually like the characters themselves (bad Yar art nothwithstanding) but this was probably my least favorite plot this year, mostly from characters not being appropriate for the dialogue. At least we know Ross was willing to cooperate or at least look the other way with Section 31. That seems the only real authentic piece in the plot so far.

My invitation is still open, though they've got to arrange their own travel, for the product team. I am willing to host DB employees for Trek watching sessions with after episode discussions and commentaries. Must be willing to have a toddler on your lap for brief periods if you are selected by the lil girl. Home cooked meals will be provided.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've known for a while that DB creates crew and events separately and then picks from the available crew the best option for the event. It seems like their options didn't work out too well this time.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    At least we know Ross was willing to cooperate or at least look the other way with Section 31. That seems the only real authentic piece in the plot so far.

I liked that bit as well. While it's a small stretch, it would be great for gameplay purposes if Ross got the Section 31 trait. There are so few in the game, and there aren't many canon characters with a genuine connection to Section 31.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flemming wrote: »
    KTz wrote: »
    Why is not Goran'Agar in this Dominion megaevent? I hoped to see him as ranked somewhere.

There is still two weeks of announcements left, and given that Goran'Agar makes his own White, there is still a place for him in the plot.

(I'm hoping to finish him out too)

Last time, I was wrong about the 3* Dax, THIS TIME...

It feels good being right.
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flemming wrote: »
    KTz wrote: »
    Why is not Goran'Agar in this Dominion megaevent? I hoped to see him as ranked somewhere.

There is still two weeks of announcements left, and given that Goran'Agar makes his own White, there is still a place for him in the plot.

(I'm hoping to finish him out too)

Last time, I was wrong about the 3* Dax, THIS TIME...

It feels good being right.
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • al103al103 ✭✭✭
    Well. Just noticed that I got Fed transmission from 31 shuttle. *SIGH*
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently I'm the devil. 😆
    ee6q2edbiwpv.jpg
  • With the exception of the blues, mainly Third Remataklan and Keevan, I’ve been using EVERY Dominion crew in existence on my shuttles plus Garak, Ross, and Yar, minus Thot Gor since he’s the only one I don’t have. Frankly, I’m surprised, in a good way. It’s been nice to actually put these guys to good use.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the exception of the blues, mainly Third Remataklan and Keevan, I’ve been using EVERY Dominion crew in existence on my shuttles plus Garak, Ross, and Yar, minus Thot Gor since he’s the only one I don’t have. Frankly, I’m surprised, in a good way. It’s been nice to actually put these guys to good use.

I've used Remata'Klan and Keevan a little, too. Throwing them in a 5-seater with a Featured Crew member with a boost has been good enough to succeed more often than not. Yes, I could have had a higher % by using Borg Queen, Kortar, T'Kuvma, etc., but they weren't as fun for me.