Home The Bridge

Event Ranked Rewards Change - post questions/feedback here.

Comments

• Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    AviTrek wrote: »
    I think the new competitive change will balance out once the chroniton stashes have been burnt through and galaxy events won't have such large shifts near the end because the chronitons won't be in the system for players to dig into. This is definitely going to be a side effect (likely intended) with the new event structure and we will likely get a new reward system after the Mega Event to properly motivate everyone on a weekly basis. Events will become more competitive and fairer if they implement both changes, and ultimately this is good for both the player base and DB.

Sorry, but the chroniton stashes are not going away. The problem is Voyages have made chons so plentiful and longer term players have run out of crew to equip that we have nothing to do but pre-farm or horde chrons. I'm at the point now where I level the threshold crew Thursday and I level the ranked crew Monday, the other 5 days I pre-farm because I have nothing else to do with my chrons. I have enough inventory of galaxy items that I can rank under 1k in a galaxy event without even needing to farm a single item. My galaxy rank is determined by the number of hours I'm willing to grind not any chron constraint. This new reward structure is not going to cut into my hoard at all. The only thing that would make a difference is what DB has continued to refuse to do, fix the ranked rewards so there is a reason to care about the difference between 26 and 1000.

They said they were evaluating event rewards. I think if they change and become meaningful for you and everyone else to want to compete for two weeks, you will find something to do with all those extra chronitons.

They're evaluating reruns rewards, which isn't helpful like at all, unless you want some 1/5s who have been power creeped out into irrelevancy every other month. They need to reevaluate event rewards, period. I'd like to remind the devs that rank 3001/100000 is top 3%, that's very high, but you're rewarded with some spit on your face, because let's face it, nobody reaching these ranks needs ageing blues that have been offered countless times as login rewards.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ren~ wrote: »
    I think the new competitive change will balance out once the chroniton stashes have been burnt through and galaxy events won't have such large shifts near the end because the chronitons won't be in the system for players to dig into. This is definitely going to be a side effect (likely intended) with the new event structure and we will likely get a new reward system after the Mega Event to properly motivate everyone on a weekly basis. Events will become more competitive and fairer if they implement both changes, and ultimately this is good for both the player base and DB.

Sorry, but the chroniton stashes are not going away. The problem is Voyages have made chons so plentiful and longer term players have run out of crew to equip that we have nothing to do but pre-farm or horde chrons. I'm at the point now where I level the threshold crew Thursday and I level the ranked crew Monday, the other 5 days I pre-farm because I have nothing else to do with my chrons. I have enough inventory of galaxy items that I can rank under 1k in a galaxy event without even needing to farm a single item. My galaxy rank is determined by the number of hours I'm willing to grind not any chron constraint. This new reward structure is not going to cut into my hoard at all. The only thing that would make a difference is what DB has continued to refuse to do, fix the ranked rewards so there is a reason to care about the difference between 26 and 1000.

They said they were evaluating event rewards. I think if they change and become meaningful for you and everyone else to want to compete for two weeks, you will find something to do with all those extra chronitons.

They're evaluating reruns rewards, which isn't helpful like at all, unless you want some 1/5s who have been power creeped out into irrelevancy every other month. They need to reevaluate event rewards, period. I'd like to remind the devs that rank 3001/100000 is top 3%, that's very high, but you're rewarded with some spit on your face, because let's face it, nobody reaching these ranks needs ageing blues that have been offered countless times as login rewards.

Amen. Rare crew are only as valuable as honor fodder for anyone playing longer than 6-12 months.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭

I LOVE the rerun change. I get stars for crew that aren't worth spending the Honor to FF. Yes, it would be nice to change new event rewards as well, but the fact they are being more generous with 5*s that "have been power creeped out into irrelevancy" means I am more likely going to be able to FF and freeze them away instead of just airlocking them when I run out of space.
  • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m afraid I think you might be mistaken. DB confirmed there’s no plans to change the newer style re-run reward of a 5* inserted into threshold rewards. That’s good news.

Dealwithitriker then posted an update in starfleet comms saying they are considering event rewards as a whole, which I think is in answer to all the feedback here (and historically) of all the players asking for the top leaderboard rewards to be opened up in proportion to the amount of players that have joined since events started.
  • Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭

I LOVE the rerun change. I get stars for crew that aren't worth spending the Honor to FF. Yes, it would be nice to change new event rewards as well, but the fact they are being more generous with 5*s that "have been power creeped out into irrelevancy" means I am more likely going to be able to FF and freeze them away instead of just airlocking them when I run out of space.

I never said that was a bad thing, in fact it helps many players:
    - established F2P players with a solid roster can look at upgrades here and there. They will most likely end up spacing half of them but can probably cite the rest.
    - veteran p(l)ayers can be lucky and get an extra star
    - mid tier players get an upgrade over their super rares.

The only ones that don't benefit from it at all (quite the opposite) are brand new accounts unless it's a galaxy rerun.

However, while this is a positive change, it's only the first step of what is needed. The threshold rewards could use more meat and less filler (the 20 chronitons/20k credits/green crew and items need to go), but even if thresholds are quite lackluster, ranked rewards are even worse and often feel not worth it at all unless you've decided to buy your way into top 1000 that week.
  • With the chance to get 5* early, it makes it harder to finish in the top 1000 in galaxy events because players collect more rare rewards and cash them in at the last minute. I spent a lot of time and chronitans to get to 350 before i went to work monday after cashing in my rare rewards. With less than 2 hours to go i was at 400 and thought i would end up at least 700 or 800 and ended up finishing at 1075 missing the 5*. This was very frustrating and next event i will probably just do enough to finish below 5000 or so and take my chances at event packs in next event.
  • dchandley wrote: »
    With the chance to get 5* early, it makes it harder to finish in the top 1000 in galaxy events because players collect more rare rewards and cash them in at the last minute. I spent a lot of time and chronitans to get to 350 before i went to work monday after cashing in my rare rewards. With less than 2 hours to go i was at 400 and thought i would end up at least 700 or 800 and ended up finishing at 1075 missing the 5*. This was very frustrating and next event i will probably just do enough to finish below 5000 or so and take my chances at event packs in next event.
    Are U.S. players that work day shift weekday hours even in DB's target demographic for STT?
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    milamber42 wrote: »
    dchandley wrote: »
    With the chance to get 5* early, it makes it harder to finish in the top 1000 in galaxy events because players collect more rare rewards and cash them in at the last minute. I spent a lot of time and chronitans to get to 350 before i went to work monday after cashing in my rare rewards. With less than 2 hours to go i was at 400 and thought i would end up at least 700 or 800 and ended up finishing at 1075 missing the 5*. This was very frustrating and next event i will probably just do enough to finish below 5000 or so and take my chances at event packs in next event.
    Are U.S. players that work day shift weekday hours even in DB's target demographic for STT?

They are better off than Australian players whose event starts and ends at 3am... unless you’re a nighttime security guards.
  • RogueAngylRogueAngyl ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

I think the demographic considerations are the depth of the customers' pockets and how quickly they will be emptied.

So yes, people with well paying jobs and first world problems are the target demographic.
    My 8-Point STT Strategy:

1. Voyage.
    2. Have fun. If something isn't fun, don't do it.
    3. Only pursue characters I care about.
    4. Contribute to the fleet.
    5. No more spending beyond monthly cards.
    6. Have fun.
    7. Voyage.
    8. Have fun!
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are better off than Australian players whose event starts and ends at 3am... unless you’re a nighttime security guards.

That is brutal! In my time zone it’s 11:00, but I do work overnight. If I’m running and gunning in a faction, yes I will lose sleep to keep going until end time. If it’s a Galaxy I can burn through everything and claim the rewards beforehand and not lose sleep. Even in a mad dash for first, I’m most likely sleeping all the way up to and past end time. I have nothing left to burn cuz I spent the previous four days doing it. Skirmish? What’s the difference? A computer program will destroy you anyway. Just grab the rewards, say thank you, and walk away.
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

That is brutal! In my time zone it’s 11:00, but I do work overnight. If I’m running and gunning in a faction, yes I will lose sleep to keep going until end time. If it’s a Galaxy I can burn through everything and claim the rewards beforehand and not lose sleep. Even in a mad dash for first, I’m most likely sleeping all the way up to and past end time. I have nothing left to burn cuz I spent the previous four days doing it. Skirmish? What’s the difference? A computer program will destroy you anyway. Just grab the rewards, say thank you, and walk away.

Last year this time, I played in Europe, Asia and East and West Coast America over a two month period. Australia is worst followed by Europe. Best place time zone wise IMO is West Coast USA.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last year this time, I played in Europe, Asia and East and West Coast America over a two month period. Australia is worst followed by Europe. Best place time zone wise IMO is West Coast USA.

I’m guessing that puts the end time at 9:00 AM?

Yes. Plenty of time in the morning to do stuff to make sure you don’t get knocked out of event ranks and start on Thursday.

More importantly, 10pm reset means you can do daily stuff like stay ranked in Arena without staying up super late.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, that's my zone. I'd actually prefer the schedule the East Coasters are on, though — too hard for me to do much if any last-minute stuff before the event ends at that time of day. Noon would be ideal for me.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
    edited October 2018
    Data1001 wrote: »

Yep, that's my zone. I'd actually prefer the schedule the East Coasters are on, though — too hard for me to do much if any last-minute stuff before the event ends at that time of day. Noon would be ideal for me.

North America has the best times in general and depending on your life schedule, either coast works. In general I think West Coast works best for “normal” schedules.

Like right now I’m in Asia which means a midnight start and end to events means a late night... especially for factions.
  • Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the UK and so our event times are 5pm. Not so bad really. Think theyll change to 4pm pretty soon. Unsure when our clocks change. Arena times are the worst for me as they're 5am so I'm often knocked out of the top tier.

Second the poor Austrailians! Belle has to massively overshoot and keep her fingers crossed or stay awake until a ridiculous time in events.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the bright side, I haven't had to shovel snow in the last thirteen years. Just gets a bit warm in the summer.
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    But the fundamental problems with DB as a company have not changed since the game launched. Poor QA/QC. Inability to plan in advance and foresee obvious issues.
    Refusal to admit mistakes. Insistence on blaming RNG before looking at their own code. A belief that the customer is always wrong. Vague commitments to improving with 0 follow through.

Yet you are still here, spreading your negativism and DB slashing all the time. Which, sorry, says more about you than about them. In lack of a better term no one in his "right mind" would spend so much time on the **tsk tsk** game of a fundamentally flawed company.

The game market is huge, time is valuable and of limited quantity. Hence it would be easy to find games (and a company) you enjoy more. But despite your unsatisfaction with this game and DB you prefer to waste precious time on this low quality product (according to you) NONSTOP. Makes zero sense (also because the basic structure of STT, the nature of DB will not change).

Unless, like sadly most here, you love it to complain, you feel bigger and better when you kick DB down as low as only possible.

"Usual" people want to have a good time, spend their moments on products they enjoy, want to be happy. So while being like 90% of the forum population in a way that also makes you unique, congrats ;)

• Tap Tap Tap...Sound Check
    I PLAY IT, MY.........WAY......
    Drops Microphone
    :-)
  • 5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems the only reward that is of guaranteed value to all tiers of players is Honor. The current Event ranked reward structure in terms of return on investment from an honor perspective is piddling (even the value of cashing in crew) in every possible way. This would be the easiest thing to beef up, and I think any other boost would leave some tier complaining "not useful to me". It's also a nicely continuous resource and as a reward could be graduated gracefully over the whole 100,000+ rank range. A beefy honor prize at rank 1000-4000 would be a very respectable payoff and consolation for not getting the 5* at 1000, and a meaningful range of healthy honor in the <1000 ranks would give some incentive to compete for spots in between 1000 and 50.

An event is a huge investment of time and, at will, resources. We "deserve" something universally useful, in meaningful quantities, for investing those things. Honor is and should be "special" and valuable, but not so agonizing to accrue that it blocks off collecting and enjoying gold crew. Kudos for skirmishes helping chip away at that wall, but they also chipped away so much that it made Honor bizarrely less "special"...

My humble opinion ...
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • AMDGAMDG ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    It seems the only reward that is of guaranteed value to all tiers of Kudos for skirmishes helping chip away at that wall, but they also chipped away so much that it made Honor bizarrely less "special"....

Honor is the master currency of the game, and the amount gained in a skirmish event is large only compared to other event types but is very time-consuming and many choose to let it go. Anyway , any extra honor helps.
  • Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    After a couple of events I can say that this makes it exceedingly more difficult to rank or makes it more pay to win then it was.

People who ranked in top 1000 have a major advantage over everyone in the next week's event. I think it makes it extremely tough for newer players to advance and may discourage more new players in the long run. While this probably won't happen DB could set the legendary crew for the current week as a threshold just extremely high or better yet change the reward structure.

I have ranked in top 1000 in past 2 events already so it isn't really causing me issues but would still like to feel that people outside of top 1000 aren't heavily handicapped starting out.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Nero84 wrote: »
    After a couple of events I can say that this makes it exceedingly more difficult to rank or makes it more pay to win then it was.

It seems to vary from event to event. For example, if you read the thread on this most recent event, you'll see some players complaining that Gloria made little difference for them as Minuet and Author Doctor (both of which most veteran players already had) took care of almost all the diplomacy builds better than a one-star Gloria anyway. I think the increased competition you felt was more a factor of how many people wanted to win the new Data.

Similarly, I expect the new Data to have a modest impact because there will be so many bonus crew available to players -- all the holograms, Datas, Quarks, and Vic Fontaine (and Mirror Fontaine).

In other events, where there are fewer bonus crew (and no repeating mega event legendary crew), I could see this having a bigger impact.

In a way, it adds a new wrinkle to the strategy -- trying to figure out when winning a copy of the next week's legendary featured crew is really worth the effort.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    So this isn't an announcement anymore, yet I haven't found any updates, does this mean it's time to throw all 13 pages of feedback into the toilets and flush it or will we get a follow-up very soon?
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this isn't an announcement anymore, yet I haven't found any updates, does this mean it's time to throw all 13 pages of feedback into the toilets and flush it or will we get a follow-up very soon?

Looks like the proverbial toilet is clogged. :smile: Based on the obscene length of time it took for Yargate to be addressed, it might be December before our concerns here are taken into consideration.
  • I might be of the minority opinion here but I see it as the thread has outlived its shelf life. Looking through the thread it appears that all of the questions have been answered either in actuality or through game play. And, the feedback basically boils down to 3 things:

1. I like the change
    2. I hate the change
    3. I could care less about the change

Most of the posts are simply people agreeing and/ or disagreeing about points of view and it doesn't appear that anyone has any new revelations to add to the conversation. I personally still haven't posted my point of view but that's because my view has already been expressed by others and it easier to push the "awesome" button than to rehash what's already been said numerous times.
  • Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might be of the minority opinion here but I see it as the thread has outlived its shelf life. Looking through the thread it appears that all of the questions have been answered either in actuality or through game play. And, the feedback basically boils down to 3 things:

1. I like the change
    2. I hate the change

Most of the posts are simply people agreeing and/ or disagreeing about points of view and it doesn't appear that anyone has any new revelations to add to the conversation. I personally still haven't posted my point of view but that's because my view has already been expressed by others and it easier to push the "awesome" button than to rehash what's already been said numerous times.

And now we are doing posts about posts.
  • I might be of the minority opinion here but I see it as the thread has outlived its shelf life. Looking through the thread it appears that all of the questions have been answered either in actuality or through game play. And, the feedback basically boils down to 3 things:

1. I like the change
    2. I hate the change

And now we are doing posts about posts.

Awesomed because you made me laugh. Thanks for that Mr. Lincoln.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing posted in this thread was ever going to change the short term. They're going to analyze how player behavior changes (more/less engaged, more/less spending) and then re-evaluate things once they have any data. I wouldn't expect any other significant changes on the event rewards front before the end of the year.
  • Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might be of the minority opinion here but I see it as the thread has outlived its shelf life. Looking through the thread it appears that all of the questions have been answered either in actuality or through game play. And, the feedback basically boils down to 3 things:

1. I like the change
    2. I hate the change

You're absolutely right, which is why it's quite shocking that the devs didn't give us any sort of answer considering the size of this thread, it's quite big for these forums. It's not my first online game and I know that decisions can be made much faster than that when they care.