Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about event: Might Makes Right - 01/31 (Mega-Event Part 1)

Comments

• Options
    Shan already asked us to calm down on the pro/con discovery general discussion, because this thread is useful to give actual staff event feedback. Let's break out a separate forum discussion if we want to keep going on this topic!

(as an aside, you win comment of the day RennJaxo! Lalalala I can't hear you indeed!)
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Discovery Season 1 Blu-Ray sold out when they came out.

Um, could you cite your source for this? I just did a search, and couldn't find anything on this.
    It is clearly doing well as CBS is expanding and creating two more trek shows including one with Georgiou as lead.

Actually, it hasn't done well so far. The first season numbers were very disappointing to CBS, and most industry speculation is that Disco only got a second season because Netflix essentially paid for the entirety of Season 1's production costs (and it didn't pay off for Netflix, which is why CBS had to offer the Short Treks at a steal to them after expecting to sell them for top dollar). If the numbers don't spike quite a bit with the new showrunners changing direction, it probably won't get a S3. The spin-offs are considered a desperate lunge to find something that sticks with the fans so salvage some of the development costs.

Okay.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    dext74dext74 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there going to be a $9.99 5* offer for this event? I can't remember when those usually have been made available?
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    [/
    It is clearly doing well as CBS is expanding and creating two more trek shows including one with Georgiou as lead.

Actually, it hasn't done well so far. The first season numbers were very disappointing to CBS, and most industry speculation is that Disco only got a second season because Netflix essentially paid for the entirety of Season 1's production costs (and it didn't pay off for Netflix, which is why CBS had to offer the Short Treks at a steal to them after expecting to sell them for top dollar). If the numbers don't spike quite a bit with the new showrunners changing direction, it probably won't get a S3. The spin-offs are considered a desperate lunge to find something that sticks with the fans so salvage some of the development costs.

Um, could you cite your source for this?
  • Options
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    Spocky wrote: »
    robownage wrote: »
    Spocky wrote: »
    That artwork for Number One is absolutely awful. Looks nothing at all like her.

Looks pretty good from here.

lx9bbz8u487u.jpg

Don’t know where you got that picture from, as that’s not Number One. Don’t know who it is though.

Number One is from The Cage, the original TOS pilot. Majel Barrett-Roddenberry (Nurse Chapel, Lwaxana Troi, The Computer) played her.

This is a Discovery mega event, so the new version of Number One from that show is being used.

No, you’re kidding right? They’ve surely not recast Number One?
    RennJaxo wrote: »
    This childish new trend in fandom to pretend that something in the franchise either isn’t canon, or straight up doesn’t exist, simply because you personally don’t like it, is basically the adult (and I use that term VERY loosely) version of sticking your fingers in your ears and screeching “can’t hear you! La la la la, can’t hear you!”

Not sure that’s called for. I’ve done nothing of the sort, I genuinely didn’t know they had done that.

• Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woghd wrote: »
    (First, I want to thank Shan for making this post possible. A strange technical glitch botched up my account, and Shan essentially had to rebuild it. It has been about two weeks of back and forth before Shan was able to do this. Thank you Shan, for what I know was tons of hard work. I truly appreciate being back on.)

The post I wanted to make almost two weeks ago, was simply this:

I understand​ what DB is trying to do with ST:D. I am sure that they have mandates from on high, designed to keep propping up ST:D. ...and I'm not going to get into all of the things that are wrong with the show, we all know what those things are.

But please understand that many of us don't even count it as a Star Trek show. I instantly airlock anything STD-related as soon as I detect it. Many of us have -0- characters for this event, and -0- interest in the characters offered. Thats 4 weeks that my wallet is closed. I'm VP12, and I will be spending that money on the new Star Trek game, not here.

The problem with that, is I LIKE it here! (You guys COULD have thrown us the original Number One, as a bone.)

The idea that STD will get more viewers by attempting to force us to collect STD cards is wishful thinking. I suspect the ifea comes from CBS and not DB, for this approach only hurts the game. It's an expensive price to pay for the 2-3 traditional Star Trek fans who will pony up the fee to watch ST:D.

I just came from a convention, The places where I have been spending the bulk of my Star Trek money for 40 years, and my personal, unscientific poll shows a lack of interest in ST:D among those who attend Star Trek conventions. These people, like me, spend a lot of money at these places.

You might not want to completely shut us out. I'm just sayin'

That critisism aside, I have found the customer service here to be top notch. You guys all rock. Thank you again Shan !

Archie

I can understand where you’re coming from but I just don’t see the value in automatically airlocking anyone you don’t like. Sandbag in their event, avoid them in beholds, don’t buy their packs...sure. But if you throw them away after getting them anyway just because, you’re giving up a competitive advantage that you could use to improve your other crew.

I have to defend 86'ing undesired crew regardless of potential game value. I've dismissed 3/4's, probably a 4/4 or two, and at least four 1/5's because I just wasn't into them enough to commit the resources (and crew slots) to them. At the end of the day, this is a game and I want to enjoy it. Slogging through the equipping process for a crew member I don't even care about or like isn't enjoyable. I'll take my chances that I'll still be able to compete for the crew I want later. That said, rejecting an entire series is woefully immature.

[Side note: I'm grateful for the Ignore feature, which I started using months ago for forum members who habitually post manifestos denouncing Discovery. If I couldn't do that, I'd have bailed on the forum altogether save the official announcement posts.]

Anyway, good luck to everyone who is enthusiastic about this event and the rest of this mega!

I always feel people who are insanely harsh on Discovery just haven't given it a fair shake... is it the best of all the trek series? God no, but it's still good Trek IMO... I see a lot of people just dumping all over it but typically there aren't very good reasons indicated as to why, they just say they hate it

There are certainly aspects I could do without, Burnham's awful acting for one, but overall it's still a great time

My 2 cents... but since pennies were abolished in Canada that 2 cents gets rounded down to zero, so I guess I'll just stop typing
  • Options
    PompeyMagnusPompeyMagnus ✭✭✭✭
    It just doesn't happen. The magic is gone. I have high hopes for the new Picard show, as Patrick Stewart has said repeatedly that older fans will like the show, and there's a possibility that Manny Cotto and Tim Russ (Both are Star Trek fans) might be involved.

I'm honestly more interested in the Picard show because Michael Chabon (writer of Wonder Boys, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, The Yiddish Policeman's Union, etc and the guy behind the Short Trek Calypso)is involved.

Um, could you cite your source for this? I just did a search, and couldn't find anything on this.

If that's the case, then get excited for no more Star Trek and all the haters can go back to re-watching TNG for the umpte
    Yateball wrote: »
    (First, I want to thank Shan for making this post possible. A strange technical glitch botched up my account, and Shan essentially had to rebuild it. It has been about two weeks of back and forth before Shan was able to do this. Thank you Shan, for what I know was tons of hard work. I truly appreciate being back on.)

The post I wanted to make almost two weeks ago, was simply this:

I understand​ what DB is trying to do with ST:D. I am sure that they have mandates from on high, designed to keep propping up ST:D. ...and I'm not going to get into all of the things that are wrong with the show, we all know what those things are.

But please understand that many of us don't even count it as a Star Trek show. I instantly airlock anything STD-related as soon as I detect it. Many of us have -0- characters for this event, and -0- interest in the characters offered. Thats 4 weeks that my wallet is closed. I'm VP12, and I will be spending that money on the new Star Trek game, not here.

The problem with that, is I LIKE it here! (You guys COULD have thrown us the original Number One, as a bone.)

The idea that STD will get more viewers by attempting to force us to collect STD cards is wishful thinking. I suspect the ifea comes from CBS and not DB, for this approach only hurts the game. It's an expensive price to pay for the 2-3 traditional Star Trek fans who will pony up the fee to watch ST:D.

I just came from a convention, The places where I have been spending the bulk of my Star Trek money for 40 years, and my personal, unscientific poll shows a lack of interest in ST:D among those who attend Star Trek conventions. These people, like me, spend a lot of money at these places.

You might not want to completely shut us out. I'm just sayin'

That critisism aside, I have found the customer service here to be top notch. You guys all rock. Thank you again Shan !

Archie

I can understand where you’re coming from but I just don’t see the value in automatically airlocking anyone you don’t like. Sandbag in their event, avoid them in beholds, don’t buy their packs...sure. But if you throw them away after getting them anyway just because, you’re giving up a competitive advantage that you could use to improve your other crew.

I have to defend 86'ing undesired crew regardless of potential game value. I've dismissed 3/4's, probably a 4/4 or two, and at least four 1/5's because I just wasn't into them enough to commit the resources (and crew slots) to them. At the end of the day, this is a game and I want to enjoy it. Slogging through the equipping process for a crew member I don't even care about or like isn't enjoyable. I'll take my chances that I'll still be able to compete for the crew I want later. That said, rejecting an entire series is woefully immature.

[Side note: I'm grateful for the Ignore feature, which I started using months ago for forum members who habitually post manifestos denouncing Discovery. If I couldn't do that, I'd have bailed on the forum altogether save the official announcement posts.]

Anyway, good luck to everyone who is enthusiastic about this event and the rest of this mega!

I always feel people who are insanely harsh on Discovery just haven't given it a fair shake... is it the best of all the trek series? God no, but it's still good Trek IMO... I see a lot of people just dumping all over it but typically there aren't very good reasons indicated as to why, they just say they hate it

There are certainly aspects I could do without, Burnham's awful acting for one, but overall it's still a great time

My 2 cents... but since pennies were abolished in Canada that 2 cents gets rounded down to zero, so I guess I'll just stop typing

Add a penny and you can round it up to a nickel!
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    dext74 wrote: »
    Is there going to be a $9.99 5* offer for this event? I can't remember when those usually have been made available?

I think we usually get them on Tuesday's but it's not every week and seems to be a bit more sporadic between fortnightly and triweekly
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

I speak from my own experience trying to purchase a copy before Christmas. Amazon had no blu-ray Discovery. Best Buy had no blu-ray Discovery in any store in my area or online. Wal-Mart had no blu-ray Discovery in any store in my area or online. Target had no blu-ray Discovery in any store in my area or online. I could find no blu-ray Discovery copy anywhere except by eventually purchasing it from CBS directly in which they could just burn out new ones as people order. Maybe others had better luck but I sure didn't. Maybe you will say that it is a stretch to say it was sold out just because it was sold out from all the stores but could be purchased at CBS. I guess it comes down to your definition of "sold out."
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    2 seat shuttles? Score!

A LOT of Two-Seaters

EDIT: Quite a few Med/Sci Seats. Hugh is getting a workout!!!!!!!
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    This is the breakdown I found:
    Klingon:
    2 seat: 5
    3 seat: 2
    4 seat: 1

KCA:
    2 seat: 1
    3 seat: 5
    4 seat: 2

S31:
    2 seat: 3
    3 seat: 4

Bets that the Klingons will win the event?
  • Options
    Rocpile wrote: »
    Klingon:

KCA:

S31:

You haven't seen any Fives, either? Thought I was going cray cray.......
  • Options
    You haven't seen any Fives, either? Thought I was going cray cray.......
    I thought I was going cray when I saw the first Two.

• Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rocpile wrote: »
    Klingon:

KCA:

S31:

Thanks for posting this.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there any ENG slots? I cycled through a few times already using time reducers and I don't recall using Time Loop Mudd for anything other than SEC. With the x2 event bonus, he's my #1 base ENG, so that seems conspicuous.
  • Options
    NoelHNoelH ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Are there any ENG slots? I cycled through a few times already using time reducers and I don't recall using Time Loop Mudd for anything other than SEC. With the x2 event bonus, he's my #1 base ENG, so that seems conspicuous.

'Patchwork' for Klingon Empire seems to be the only ENG slot I've seen so far.
    (3x slot; CMD / SEC / ENG.)
  • Options
    So gutted Bridge officer Number One wasn’t the Mega Event Recurrant Featured crew reward. Not impressed it’s Kol of House Kor instead.
    Sometimes I wonder if DB actually understand what the players want or they just throw a dart at a board of choices while blindfolded.
    - Joined game 6th March 2016
    - Capt Level 99
    - VIP Level 13
    - Fleet Admiral [New Black Vipers]
    - Starbase Level 134
    - Starbase Rooms Completed 15/15
    - Crew Slots 295
    - Immortalized Crew 639
    - Total Crew collected 882/1179
    - Crew collections maxed out 7/45
    - Galaxy Map Stars 1269/1269
    - Cadet Mission Stars 225/225
    - Factions Honored 15/15
    - Achievements completed 15/16
    - Ships maxed out 53/78
  • Options
    hm6fp5oa6n1n.jpg
    No prizes for guessing who I'm going to this weekend...
    Account on it's final tour, soon to be retired!
  • Options
    NoelH wrote: »

Cook beans. This would be a convenient weekend for some ENG-primary Voyages... *crosses fingers*
  • Options
    Yateball wrote: »
    NoelH wrote: »

Cook beans. This would be a convenient weekend for some ENG-primary Voyages... *crosses fingers*

why are you telling me to cook beans

*sigh* I've had a flurry of typos today. Pretty sure it's the result of the polar vortex.
  • Options
    2 seat shuttles? Score!

Id be more excited if I cared about this event lol, hopefully they will carry this thru for all faction events;)