Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about event: Might Makes Right - 01/31 (Mega-Event Part 1)

Comments

• Options
    PompeyMagnusPompeyMagnus ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly, the first Star Trek television show in many many years. Your dislike aside the show which revived the franchise for TV. And it is only the start of things with the Picard/Animated/Georgiou series coming up. There were far worse times to be a Star Trek fan than the current one.
    ST was pretty much dead after Enterprise. Dead. Would we even have Discovery, the upcoming Picard show and the other ST shows without the success of the rebooted movies? I don't know. Crazy, right?

I enjoy the DIS crew so far and look forward to adding a lot more of them in this mega.
  • Options
    Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    I probably overlooked it somewhere, but does anyone have an idea of the older Sarek carries a bonus? I think he did in a previous Mega but my thoughts are that just Disco Sarek is bonus this time.
  • Options
    Exactly, the first Star Trek television show in many many years. Your dislike aside the show which revived the franchise for TV. And it is only the start of things with the Picard/Animated/Georgiou series coming up. There were far worse times to be a Star Trek fan than the current one.
    ST was pretty much dead after Enterprise. Dead. Would we even have Discovery, the upcoming Picard show and the other ST shows without the success of the rebooted movies? I don't know. Crazy, right?

I enjoy the DIS crew so far and look forward to adding a lot more of them in this mega.

I just like collecting and accept that each show has its positive and negative aspects. I have 20 bonus crew for this mega so I am trying to decide if I want to give up sleep this weekend to compete. I have been kind of burnt out since the last Mega and have been floating and playing at my own pace.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I probably overlooked it somewhere, but does anyone have an idea of the older Sarek carries a bonus? I think he did in a previous Mega but my thoughts are that just Disco Sarek is bonus this time.

Why would he? That variant is not Discovery crew. If they give us a new Pike in this mega, the TOS version of Pike certainly wouldn't qualify, either.

Edit: What I meant was, old Pike wouldn't qualify for the rest of the DSC mega, but he would of course be bonus crew just for the event in which new Pike was main event crew. (If that actually happens.)

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    If they give us a new Pike in this mega, the TOS version of Pike certainly wouldn't qualify, either.

He would for the specific week Anson Pike came out, as a Pike variant, but not for all four weeks. At least I hope he would, I levelled up my 1/5 Pike like three months ago on the assumption they'll give us the new guy...
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Old (Ambassador) Sarek was bonus for event four of the Discovery: A New Anomaly mega, A Logical Reaction, because young Sarek was event crew for that one, but for events where "Discovery Crew" are bonus old Sarek isn't bonus crew.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Kaitee wrote: »
    Data1001 wrote: »
    If they give us a new Pike in this mega, the TOS version of Pike certainly wouldn't qualify, either.

He would for the specific week Anson Pike came out, as a Pike variant, but not for all four weeks. At least I hope he would, I levelled up my 1/5 Pike like three months ago on the assumption they'll give us the new guy...

Sorry, yes — thanks for that clarification. I wasn't specific in my reply. I was thinking of the mega as a whole, but certainly he'd be event bonus crew for the weekend that the new Pike was main event crew, should that actually happen.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Well I’m off to a hot start. I was just wanting to have the extra star banked away for Georgiou but got L’Rell. Not going to complain. Decided I was feeling lucky and went for another pull and got Georgiou. Finally bought my fourth shuttle as well...ready for the event!

bejnqljqtm4t.png
    m61utcs2k3cf.png
  • Options
    Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't even make the claim of actively disliking disgotheque, mostly what I feels is indifference towards the next month. I guess I have been winding down on play time lately and this non-canon event slapped with the Star Trek label isn't helping.
  • Options
    Georgiou just a 4*? Meh, she was the only crew i really was looking forward and ready to open my wallet, if she had been a 5*. :/
    $$ :-)
    nylhe9ofilv6.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the Sarek info. I was leaning towards no but it's good to get another perspective.
  • Options
    AdiAdi ✭✭
    The new Abrams movies (another non Trek by the grumpy crowd) reignite my joy for Star Trek. Because of them I watch all the old movies. Some I liked, some I don't. Because of Disco (who is not better or worst) I start to watch TOS (and after it all other in order - when I was young I watched some episodes, but not all). For me it's like Muppets Show. Silly combat, all aliens are humans with differnent hats and some more. Some episodes are good, some are bad. But I still watch it. And I will never tell anybody else to not like it, airlock the characters or DB to make ONLY WHAT I LIKE.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woghd wrote: »
    (First, I want to thank Shan for making this post possible. A strange technical glitch botched up my account, and Shan essentially had to rebuild it. It has been about two weeks of back and forth before Shan was able to do this. Thank you Shan, for what I know was tons of hard work. I truly appreciate being back on.)

The post I wanted to make almost two weeks ago, was simply this:

I understand​ what DB is trying to do with ST:D. I am sure that they have mandates from on high, designed to keep propping up ST:D. ...and I'm not going to get into all of the things that are wrong with the show, we all know what those things are.

But please understand that many of us don't even count it as a Star Trek show. I instantly airlock anything STD-related as soon as I detect it. Many of us have -0- characters for this event, and -0- interest in the characters offered. Thats 4 weeks that my wallet is closed. I'm VP12, and I will be spending that money on the new Star Trek game, not here.

The problem with that, is I LIKE it here! (You guys COULD have thrown us the original Number One, as a bone.)

The idea that STD will get more viewers by attempting to force us to collect STD cards is wishful thinking. I suspect the ifea comes from CBS and not DB, for this approach only hurts the game. It's an expensive price to pay for the 2-3 traditional Star Trek fans who will pony up the fee to watch ST:D.

I just came from a convention, The places where I have been spending the bulk of my Star Trek money for 40 years, and my personal, unscientific poll shows a lack of interest in ST:D among those who attend Star Trek conventions. These people, like me, spend a lot of money at these places.

You might not want to completely shut us out. I'm just sayin'

That critisism aside, I have found the customer service here to be top notch. You guys all rock. Thank you again Shan !

Archie

I can understand where you’re coming from but I just don’t see the value in automatically airlocking anyone you don’t like. Sandbag in their event, avoid them in beholds, don’t buy their packs...sure. But if you throw them away after getting them anyway just because, you’re giving up a competitive advantage that you could use to improve your other crew.

I have to defend 86'ing undesired crew regardless of potential game value. I've dismissed 3/4's, probably a 4/4 or two, and at least four 1/5's because I just wasn't into them enough to commit the resources (and crew slots) to them. At the end of the day, this is a game and I want to enjoy it. Slogging through the equipping process for a crew member I don't even care about or like isn't enjoyable. I'll take my chances that I'll still be able to compete for the crew I want later. That said, rejecting an entire series is woefully immature.

[Side note: I'm grateful for the Ignore feature, which I started using months ago for forum members who habitually post manifestos denouncing Discovery. If I couldn't do that, I'd have bailed on the forum altogether save the official announcement posts.]

Anyway, good luck to everyone who is enthusiastic about this event and the rest of this mega!

{Side note back. BRB}
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    That artwork for Number One is absolutely awful. Looks nothing at all like her.
  • Options
    S31 wrote: »
    BTW we need 4* star rebel Garak instead of that dumb Mirror Garak and by DUMB I mean that Mirror version of him was literally dumb in DS9.

Yeah he was but you have got to give Andrew J. Robinson credit. He certainly ranks among my favourite characters in DS9.
    Account on it's final tour, soon to be retired!
  • Options
    robownage wrote: »
    Spocky wrote: »

Looks pretty good from here.

lx9bbz8u487u.jpg

Don’t know where you got that picture from, as that’s not Number One. Don’t know who it is though.

Number One is from The Cage, the original TOS pilot. Majel Barrett-Roddenberry (Nurse Chapel, Lwaxana Troi, The Computer) played her.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    robownage wrote: »

Looks pretty good from here.

lx9bbz8u487u.jpg

Don’t know where you got that picture from, as that’s not Number One. Don’t know who it is though.

Number One is from The Cage, the original TOS pilot. Majel Barrett-Roddenberry (Nurse Chapel, Lwaxana Troi, The Computer) played her.

This is a Discovery mega event, so the new version of Number One from that show is being used.

Hopefully the reason they gave her the name Bridge officer Number One.

There can only be one 'Number One'

Edit
    sorry Will Riker
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭
    S31 wrote: »
    BTW we need 4* star rebel Garak instead of that dumb Mirror Garak and by DUMB I mean that Mirror version of him was literally dumb in DS9.

Yeah he was but you have got to give Andrew J. Robinson credit. He certainly ranks among my favourite characters in DS9.

100%. Having said that, he HATED playing Mirror Garak.

• Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woghd wrote: »
    (First, I want to thank Shan for making this post possible. A strange technical glitch botched up my account, and Shan essentially had to rebuild it. It has been about two weeks of back and forth before Shan was able to do this. Thank you Shan, for what I know was tons of hard work. I truly appreciate being back on.)

The post I wanted to make almost two weeks ago, was simply this:

I understand​ what DB is trying to do with ST:D. I am sure that they have mandates from on high, designed to keep propping up ST:D. ...and I'm not going to get into all of the things that are wrong with the show, we all know what those things are.

But please understand that many of us don't even count it as a Star Trek show. I instantly airlock anything STD-related as soon as I detect it. Many of us have -0- characters for this event, and -0- interest in the characters offered. Thats 4 weeks that my wallet is closed. I'm VP12, and I will be spending that money on the new Star Trek game, not here.

The problem with that, is I LIKE it here! (You guys COULD have thrown us the original Number One, as a bone.)

The idea that STD will get more viewers by attempting to force us to collect STD cards is wishful thinking. I suspect the ifea comes from CBS and not DB, for this approach only hurts the game. It's an expensive price to pay for the 2-3 traditional Star Trek fans who will pony up the fee to watch ST:D.

I just came from a convention, The places where I have been spending the bulk of my Star Trek money for 40 years, and my personal, unscientific poll shows a lack of interest in ST:D among those who attend Star Trek conventions. These people, like me, spend a lot of money at these places.

You might not want to completely shut us out. I'm just sayin'

That critisism aside, I have found the customer service here to be top notch. You guys all rock. Thank you again Shan !

Archie

I can understand where you’re coming from but I just don’t see the value in automatically airlocking anyone you don’t like. Sandbag in their event, avoid them in beholds, don’t buy their packs...sure. But if you throw them away after getting them anyway just because, you’re giving up a competitive advantage that you could use to improve your other crew.

I have to defend 86'ing undesired crew regardless of potential game value. I've dismissed 3/4's, probably a 4/4 or two, and at least four 1/5's because I just wasn't into them enough to commit the resources (and crew slots) to them. At the end of the day, this is a game and I want to enjoy it. Slogging through the equipping process for a crew member I don't even care about or like isn't enjoyable. I'll take my chances that I'll still be able to compete for the crew I want later. That said, rejecting an entire series is woefully immature.

[Side note: I'm grateful for the Ignore feature, which I started using months ago for forum members who habitually post manifestos denouncing Discovery. If I couldn't do that, I'd have bailed on the forum altogether save the official announcement posts.]

Anyway, good luck to everyone who is enthusiastic about this event and the rest of this mega!

Even with all the Disco characters I have out of the freezer, I’ve got 36 empty slots right now. I completely understand this approach for people who constantly live on the edge of having no free slots, I just have used an aggressive freezing campaign to get people out of the way instead of using the airlock. Because you never know who will be added to a future collection or used as a bonus crew in future events...
  • Options
    I'm considering citing Braxton from 1/5 to 2/5, rather than Kol of House Kor.
    Anyone think that's a bad idea?
  • Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I do. Citating anyone to 2/5 in isolation is crazy, in my opinion. The bump in stats is so tiny and pathetic that the gameplay difference may very well be equal to zero.

Sticking a second star on Kol tomorrow makes sense, because we'll get three more soon and he'll get a bonus for the mega.

Ignoring him in favor of a plan to citate Braxton also makes sense - but wait until you have at least enough honor to take him straight to 3/5. In the weeks it takes to get another 50K honor, you may well end up with another legendary star from a begold or a new legendary character from an event, and it could then make more sense to pour your honor into them instead.

Sure, the risk of getting a game-changer in those weeks is small - but the second-star boost is even smaller! ;)
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

From a strict “how much of a stat improvement do you get” standpoint, a second star on Braxton is less of an improvement than a fifth star on Kol (since there are four free copies available, even if you cite him tomorrow rather than at the end of the mega). However, I tend to think in terms of overall utility and a 4/5* Kol should still be a solid crew while a citation on Braxton gets you one step closer to one of the strongest crew in the game.

Of course, if you are starved for SEC rather than COM for voyages and shuttles, you may get more immediate benefit from Kol. For example, I have a 1/5* Falcon O’Brien (still one of the strongest SEC crew in the game) and recently spent a citation to instead to get Delta Flyer Paris from 4/5* FE to immortal. Although O’Brien is the stronger of the two at 5/5*, my crew is loaded for SEC/COM and needed help for extending COM/ENG and COM/MED voyages, so Paris was the better choice for me.