Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: The Sum of Its Parts - 02/07 (Mega-Event Part 2)

Comments

• PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disco Enterprise. Bleh. A monstrosity of unnecesary changes and additions. I’m surprised they didn’t put flame decals and a spoiler on there as well.

It looks great with its makeover. They had to change it a little to fit in with the look of the new show. It looks good though flame decals and a spoiler sound awesome too. HOT ROD ENTERPRISE!
    The Discovery Enterprise resolves the Ship of Theseus paradox created when changing from the TOS Enterprise to TMP Enterprise. I don't have a problem with this, but I also don't understand the hate over Discovery. As a TOS fan even I can grasp the concept that the show has to update its visuals in an attempt to remain futuristic. Besides, the improvements in technology are the fault of Picard and crew in First Contact anyway.

Keep in mind that while Picard and crew's disruption to the timeline was minimal - mostly upgraded display tech in the cockpit of Phoenix and launch control - they did destroy a Borg Sphere. The remains of that sphere were found (Star Trek: Enterprise) and the tech advancements within would have given Federation tech a more advanced look. By the mid-23rd Century Federation tech would look very advanced compared to TOS.

For this to work however, we have to assume that the TOS and TAS episodes were the pre-First Contact versions. These adventures would still occur, but look very different as a result of changes First Contact wrought. We would also have to retcon or completely ignore Trials and Tribbleations from DS9, since it used TOS footage.

Now I pulled this out of my butt and it is probably half-baked, but this is how I reconcile Discovery's look with TOS. I'm happy with this, and happy with the look of the Discovery Enterprise.
    An interesting theory. People complain about the spore drive and how advanced it is but that is not a problem. Spore Drive cannot work on its own without a navigator. As long as there are not unlimited navigators or if the writers come up with a reason why the Spore Drive can never be used in later series then there is no continuity problem. The other treks all had advanced methods of travelling places in different episodes and movies but they were limited to an episode or movie. Just look at Discovery as one long episode with advanced space travel that cannot be used after.

I simply assume the fungus is obliterated to extinction in a future episode.
    By Sybok! >:)
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disco Enterprise. Bleh. A monstrosity of unnecesary changes and additions. I’m surprised they didn’t put flame decals and a spoiler on there as well.

It looks great with its makeover. They had to change it a little to fit in with the look of the new show. It looks good though flame decals and a spoiler sound awesome too. HOT ROD ENTERPRISE!
    The Discovery Enterprise resolves the Ship of Theseus paradox created when changing from the TOS Enterprise to TMP Enterprise. I don't have a problem with this, but I also don't understand the hate over Discovery. As a TOS fan even I can grasp the concept that the show has to update its visuals in an attempt to remain futuristic. Besides, the improvements in technology are the fault of Picard and crew in First Contact anyway.

Keep in mind that while Picard and crew's disruption to the timeline was minimal - mostly upgraded display tech in the cockpit of Phoenix and launch control - they did destroy a Borg Sphere. The remains of that sphere were found (Star Trek: Enterprise) and the tech advancements within would have given Federation tech a more advanced look. By the mid-23rd Century Federation tech would look very advanced compared to TOS.

For this to work however, we have to assume that the TOS and TAS episodes were the pre-First Contact versions. These adventures would still occur, but look very different as a result of changes First Contact wrought. We would also have to retcon or completely ignore Trials and Tribbleations from DS9, since it used TOS footage.

Now I pulled this out of my butt and it is probably half-baked, but this is how I reconcile Discovery's look with TOS. I'm happy with this, and happy with the look of the Discovery Enterprise.
    An interesting theory. People complain about the spore drive and how advanced it is but that is not a problem. Spore Drive cannot work on its own without a navigator. As long as there are not unlimited navigators or if the writers come up with a reason why the Spore Drive can never be used in later series then there is no continuity problem. The other treks all had advanced methods of travelling places in different episodes and movies but they were limited to an episode or movie. Just look at Discovery as one long episode with advanced space travel that cannot be used after.

The Xindi used subspace vortices. Long before the Federation existed, the Vaadwaur used subspace corridors to travel great distances throughout the Delta Quadrant and establish a large empire. Arturis' phony USS Dauntless used a fancy slipstream drive.

I don't have an issue with the spore drive. It's a weird mushroom engine and I like it as an idea for its weirdness.

I love the look of it. The lightning is awesome! I do not know why there would be lightning but I do not care, it's sweeeeeeet! If you make the Discovery your ship in game it does it too when you travel about. Shenzou is cool too and does these purple node things.
    f7qpw0y3twhk.gif
    Let’s fly!
  • Disco Enterprise. Bleh. A monstrosity of unnecesary changes and additions. I’m surprised they didn’t put flame decals and a spoiler on there as well.

The Discovery Enterprise resolves the Ship of Theseus paradox created when changing from the TOS Enterprise to TMP Enterprise.

What? No it doesn’t. There is no paradox with the TOS Enterprise, and it doesn’t need to be updated. The design is timeless.
  • Disco Enterprise. Bleh. A monstrosity of unnecesary changes and additions. I’m surprised they didn’t put flame decals and a spoiler on there as well.

The Xindi used subspace vortices. Long before the Federation existed, the Vaadwaur used subspace corridors to travel great distances throughout the Delta Quadrant and establish a large empire. Arturis' phony USS Dauntless used a fancy slipstream drive.

I don't have an issue with the spore drive. It's a weird mushroom engine and I like it as an idea for its weirdness.

All in all I'd agree.
    The Excelsior, according to the words of Sulu at the beginning of ST3 had transwarp drive. Owing to Cmdr Scott's sabotage, we never got to see what this meant in reality but if the successor class to the old constitution-class could have been capable of the same kind of speeds as a Borg vessel in C23 who'd know what other technology was floating around in the era.
    Account on it's final tour, soon to be retired!
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Excelsior, according to the words of Sulu at the beginning of ST3 had transwarp drive. Owing to Cmdr Scott's sabotage, we never got to see what this meant in reality but if the successor class to the old constitution-class could have been capable of the same kind of speeds as a Borg vessel in C23 who'd know what other technology was floating around in the era.
    Aren't Sulu's words that she's "supposed" to have transwarp drive? We never saw it in action, and even if it had worked, it doesn't necessarily mean the same kind of warp travel as the Borg's (the same way we have "Doppler radar" referring to two different technologies today, for example).

Apparently it didn't work, though; from the TNG Technical Manual:

"...the attempt to surpass the primary warp field efficiency barrier with the Transwarp Development Project in the early 2280s proved unsuccessful..."

edited February 2019
    Every series had episodes where they travelled at super speed or travelled super long distances that should not have been possible. So Discovery having a spore drive makes it like all the other series.
    Let’s fly!
  • barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Deleted.

The Discovery Enterprise resolves the Ship of Theseus paradox created when changing from the TOS Enterprise to TMP Enterprise.

What? No it doesn’t. There is no paradox with the TOS Enterprise, and it doesn’t need to be updated. The design is timeless.

What are you talking about? The ship, uniforms, phasers, etc., nearly everything looks totally different, and is FAR higher tech, from Pikes TOS Enterprse, are you blind?
    It would be fun to have a short trek with the Discovery actors using old looking sets and devices like those in TOS.
    Let’s fly!
  • Going back to my theory regarding Picard and crew affecting the timeline through their actions in First Contact, Trials and Tribbleations neither needs to be ignored nor retconned. The episode aired nearly three weeks prior to First Contact.
  • I want to talk about the next event...Frankly, I don't have the time, patience, or inclination to rehash the laundry list of reasons that STD doesn't cut it. Lets just hope they learn their lessons for the Picard show.

Now I have all of my O'Briens and Chekovs out of cryo storage. I'm ready to rock.
  • Going back to my theory regarding Picard and crew affecting the timeline through their actions in First Contact, Trials and Tribbleations neither needs to be ignored nor retconned. The episode aired nearly three weeks prior to First Contact.

What about the Mirror Darkly episodes of ENT? Do they still work as we see the TOS Defiant in those.

Nice fan-theory btw. This is why studios shouldn't try to explain too much back story... let the fans come up with their own ideas to fill in the gaps.
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume people discussing Enterprise design continuity from Discovery to TOS to TMP haven't watched any of Discovery season 2 yet?

Since at the end of s02e01 we see Pike's Enterprise being towed back to space dock for a complete overhaul due to unknown system failure. Any design elements we have seen at the end of season 1/beginning of season 2 are clearly open to change.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    I assume people discussing Enterprise design continuity from Discovery to TOS to TMP haven't watched any of Discovery season 2 yet?

Since at the end of s02e01 we see Pike's Enterprise being towed back to space dock for a complete overhaul due to unknown system failure. Any design elements we have seen at the end of season 1/beginning of season 2 are clearly open to change.

There's still the matter of "The Cage" taking place

It'd be dope if we got a 3* Talos IV Number One in the rank table, though.
    That would be a nice way to include her. I'm sure people would still be annoyed that it wasn't the other way around, but it is what it is.

What about the Mirror Darkly episodes of ENT? Do they still work as we see the TOS Defiant in those.

Nice fan-theory btw. This is why studios shouldn't try to explain too much back story... let the fans come up with their own ideas to fill in the gaps.

"The Tholian Web" is a TOS episode. The events we see in that episode were in the timeline prior to the destruction of the Borg Sphere. The Defiant would NOT be affected as it shifted to the Mirror Universe. Thus "In A Mirror Darkly" doesn't require a retcon. This would also explain how the Defiant in Discovery retained most of the TOS design while Enterprise in Discovery looks more like the movie Enterprise.

When the events of "The Tholian Web" occur again, the Discovery Defiant would get shunted to a parallel Mirror Universe. Cue the headaches resulting from thinking about it.

• Woghd wrote: »
    I want to talk about the next event...Frankly, I don't have the time, patience, or inclination to rehash the laundry list of reasons that STD doesn't cut it. Lets just hope they learn their lessons for the Picard show.

Now I have all of my O'Briens and Chekovs out of cryo storage. I'm ready to rock.

But enough time to call it STD apparently.

You know what I don't get? If someone dislikes a show, why go out of your way to whine about it IN EVERY SINGLE THREAD?!?!? Hate the show that is the focus of an Event? Just skip it. Whining and moaning about how much you have the show {especially people who have never seen a second of it} in thread after thread {even UNRELATED ONES} is just tiresome. I don't enjoy Fraction Events as much as Galaxy or Skirmish. Know what I do? Send out my Shuttles ebvery three hours and do the best I can.

The complaining thing is silly. It's like if you like Firefly and hate Farscape, you join a SciFi/Fantasy page, and instead of commenting on threads about Firefly what you like about Firefly, you scan the page for threads about Farscape so you can complain about that show.

I'm half asleep, and might be incoherent, but I hope someone understood me.

+1
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!