Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: The Sum of Its Parts - 02/07 (Mega-Event Part 2)

Comments

• RennJaxo wrote: »
    As an aside, DB this’d be just a perfectly swell time to introduce a two-star Transporter Chief O’Brien.

Yes please!
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    I assume people discussing Enterprise design continuity from Discovery to TOS to TMP haven't watched any of Discovery season 2 yet?

Since at the end of s02e01 we see Pike's Enterprise being towed back to space dock for a complete overhaul due to unknown system failure. Any design elements we have seen at the end of season 1/beginning of season 2 are clearly open to change.

There's still the matter of "The Cage" taking place 3-4 years before Discovery, then reverting to (mostly) the same design for the duration of TOS, set another 10 years after Discovery. Someone who cares can contrive how to reconcile it all. I'm not that person.

Anyway, I'm almost certainly going to fall outside the top 1500 and miss out on Bridge Officer Number One this week. I'm disappointed to miss out on her, but thankfully at least Skirmishes are the most forgiving event format and I'll snag the same VP with Chief O'Brien that I would have gotten with Number One.

It'd be dope if we got a 3* Talos IV Number One in the rank table, though.

Except the "record tapes" we see in The Menagerie are a construct of the Talosians, so can easily be inaccurate.

As for falling outside the top 1500, I understand that pain. I actually thought I had a chance to crack the top 1000 for the first time. In the final minute I had two shuttle missions still running, each with 90+% success chances, and was about 3000 vp out of range. So, figuring that the dilithium cost/benefit to speed up the shuttles would work out net positive with the 100 dilithium reward from breaking 1K, I completed both missions in the final moments. Both failed.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    The actual explanation for the Enterprise differences in STD is simple, albeit canonically inconvenient.

The actual rights for the Enterprise are somewhat muddy, due to corporate mergers and splits over the years; CBS isn't the sole rights-holder anymore. Therefore, to avoid messy legal battles, "new" uses of the Enterprise have to be different enough to keep the lawyers happy. The quoted number according to Gizmodo is that is had to be 25% different (how they quantify differences, I have no idea).

This is also why the Kelvinverse Enterprsie is different, though I think they chose to modify it more than legally necessary to make JJ happy.

That's very interesting. I hadn't seen that before. Also surprising as somehow DB got the rights to put the original 1701 into STT. Where did you see this?
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Disco Enterprise. Bleh. A monstrosity of unnecesary changes and additions. I’m surprised they didn’t put flame decals and a spoiler on there as well.

I agree. This is an awful ship.
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    The actual explanation for the Enterprise differences in STD is simple, albeit canonically inconvenient.

The actual rights for the Enterprise are somewhat muddy, due to corporate mergers and splits over the years; CBS isn't the sole rights-holder anymore. Therefore, to avoid messy legal battles, "new" uses of the Enterprise have to be different enough to keep the lawyers happy. The quoted number according to Gizmodo is that is had to be 25% different (how they quantify differences, I have no idea).

This is also why the Kelvinverse Enterprsie is different, though I think they chose to modify it more than legally necessary to make JJ happy.

That's very interesting. I hadn't seen that before. Also surprising as somehow DB got the rights to put the original 1701 into STT. Where did you see this?

There seems to be some conflicting info on this subject:

Legal Issues were the change (with the stats above cited in the article)

Changes were creative (with the previous article cited)

Now, I can see Kelvinverse having to re-design, but now I question why CBS?
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

It was initially reported, but was then corrected by CBS. They do own the full rights. It's possible that JJ had to make changes for his movies, but CBS could have used the original design if they wanted to.

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2018/04/15/star-trek-discovery-enterprise-design-legal/
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume people discussing Enterprise design continuity from Discovery to TOS to TMP haven't watched any of Discovery season 2 yet?

Since at the end of s02e01 we see Pike's Enterprise being towed back to space dock for a complete overhaul due to unknown system failure. Any design elements we have seen at the end of season 1/beginning of season 2 are clearly open to change.

There's still the matter of "The Cage" taking place 3-4 years before Discovery, then reverting to (mostly) the same design for the duration of TOS, set another 10 years after Discovery. Someone who cares can contrive how to reconcile it all. I'm not that person.

Anyway, I'm almost certainly going to fall outside the top 1500 and miss out on Bridge Officer Number One this week. I'm disappointed to miss out on her, but thankfully at least Skirmishes are the most forgiving event format and I'll snag the same VP with Chief O'Brien that I would have gotten with Number One.

Except the "record tapes" we see in The Menagerie are a construct of the Talosians, so can easily be inaccurate.

As for falling outside the top 1500, I understand that pain. I actually thought I had a chance to crack the top 1000 for the first time. In the final minute I had two shuttle missions still running, each with 90+% success chances, and was about 3000 vp out of range. So, figuring that the dilithium cost/benefit to speed up the shuttles would work out net positive with the 100 dilithium reward from breaking 1K, I completed both missions in the final moments. Both failed.

If you are saying we don't know Number One made planetfall on Talos IV, because "The Menagerie" was a reconstruction of the events from "The Cage", she WA on te surface in "The Cage".

Sorry you got that close on the 1K and missed it over Shuttle failures.
    Did anyone catch the Fortune Cookie Fortune Pike found in the Ready Room?
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a moment of ranting lunacy after I missed once by similar reasons. Sorry that happened. Been there. It does get better.
  • Disco Enterprise. Bleh. A monstrosity of unnecesary changes and additions. I’m surprised they didn’t put flame decals and a spoiler on there as well.

I agree. This is an awful ship.

+1 :smile:
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    It's crazy that an effort that used to result in a finish in the 400-600 range for a faction event is suddenly barely enough to crack the top-1500!

I did my kickstart quickly (11 x 3* boosts & 2 x 4* boosts), to immediately start with 3500 point missions, which I cleared with 3* time boosts. I sent my first wave of 4000 point shuttles out less than 2 hours into the event, had my 3-hour alarm going day & night all weekend (a whole other level of ridiculousness), with my 4 shuttles ranging from 91-96% (loaded the forum-approved way). Aside from back-to-back waves going 1/4 and 2/4, my success rate was as expected throughout the event.

I wound up finishing right around 1400.
  • Woghd wrote: »
    I want to talk about the next event...Frankly, I don't have the time, patience, or inclination to rehash the laundry list of reasons that STD doesn't cut it. Lets just hope they learn their lessons for the Picard show.

Now I have all of my O'Briens and Chekovs out of cryo storage. I'm ready to rock.

Look, we know you hate Disco, you’ve made it very clear. But no one appreciates the constant ranting so please keep your disco hate to yourself. Thank you 😁

As I said before, enough about ST:D and its many shortcomings, lets get on with discussing the event.

I'm surprised they didn't pull out Klingon O'Brien for this.Not that I care, I have him immorted, but I thought he'd be a natural, being a spy.
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

If you are saying we don't know Number One made planetfall on Talos IV, because "The Menagerie" was a reconstruction of the events from "The Cage", she WA on te surface in "The Cage".

Sorry you got that close on the 1K and missed it over Shuttle failures.
    Did anyone catch the Fortune Cookie Fortune Pike found in the Ready Room?

No, I was talking about the ship design. Sorry, there are tons of different discussions going on, I should have been more specific.

And yes, that fortune was a nice touch. :)
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    It's crazy that an effort that used to result in a finish in the 400-600 range for a faction event is suddenly barely enough to crack the top-1500!

I did my kickstart quickly (11 x 3* boosts & 2 x 4* boosts), to immediately start with 3500 point missions, which I cleared with 3* time boosts. I sent my first wave of 4000 point shuttles out less than 2 hours into the event, had my 3-hour alarm going day & night all weekend (a whole other level of ridiculousness), with my 4 shuttles ranging from 91-96% (loaded the forum-approved way). Aside from back-to-back waves going 1/4 and 2/4, my success rate was as expected throughout the event.

Events keep getting tougher and tougher. DB found a way to monetize faction events more by selling those new shuttle boosts and by creating a way for people to send more than 4 shuttles. They are tougher at all spots not just top 1500. Look how high the score was for first place. I did not see final but it was at like 4.9 million on Sunday. Whales cannot just send out four shuttles with time boosts they have to run eight!
    Let’s fly!
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

Events keep getting tougher and tougher. DB found a way to monetize faction events more by selling those new shuttle boosts and by creating a way for people to send more than 4 shuttles. They are tougher at all spots not just top 1500. Look how high the score was for first place. I did not see final but it was at like 4.9 million on Sunday. Whales cannot just send out four shuttles with time boosts they have to run eight!

I had 10-12 out at all times with 300 three star time boosts, 136 four star and 69 five star. Overnights I ran 20 at a time with five Star skill boosts or 2x reward boosts (had 50 of those) and got up every three hours to reset. I also had about 400 rental shuttle tokens and spent 40,000 dilithium in either shuttle return speed ups or shuttle rentals. Scored over 3 million points and ended up 4th. I assure you I am NEVER going to do that again. If that is what it takes to finish 4th, forget it. It would have been WAY cheaper to buy the $100 event offer and the $25 DYC if necessary

• What? No it doesn’t. There is no paradox with the TOS Enterprise, and it doesn’t need to be updated. The design is timeless.
    Then you haven't read the Ex Astris Scientia article on the topic. You probably don't have a clue regarding the Ship of Theseus paradox either. In the Ex Astris Scientia article it was determined that because of the design changes only a part of the secondary hull strongback and a portion of the interconnecting dorsal (i.e. the neck) survived the refit.

Way to be a jerk. I can feel the condescension through the Internet. Yes I’m aware of the paradox, but I don’t believe it applies to the Enterprise and the original Enterprise did not need updating, at least from the outside. This is the inherent problem with prequels. They feel like they need to explain things that never needed explaining.
  • RennJaxo wrote: »
    As an aside, DB this’d be just a perfectly swell time to introduce a two-star Transporter Chief O’Brien.

Agreed! Unfortunately, I'm betting against it since they just had the two-star L'Rell...
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope1010 wrote: »
    RennJaxo wrote: »

Agreed! Unfortunately, I'm betting against it since they just had the two-star L'Rell...

I'm hopeful we will get a new Threshold 2* every week of the Mega. Hopefully.......

https://youtu.be/5Md_nDXAOZ8
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice Man wrote: »
    Assuming this is Lt. Chekov :)

We need more TMP chars.ap2ly277n9vc.jpg

At least his badge won't be full of latinum.

Don't give DB any ideas.
  • Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Davey1983 wrote: »
    I know this is off topic and I have been stopping myself saying anything for a while now, but please can we not use ‘STD’ as an abbreviation for Star Trek Discovery.

1. It does not fit convention, as @Zombie Squirrel and others have pointed out above.

2. Shoehorning the new Star Trek title into an abbreviation that also means Sexually Transmitted Disease, is not funny for anyone over the age of 12.

3. I’m really not a fan of Discovery, but I’ll still at least try and get on a level and debate the reasons why intelligently, not resort to trolling.

While I hate the STD abbreviation, that is what the producers, Fuller, and CBS themselves have used. Discovery will forever be abbreviated as STD. Using that abbreviation is not a reason to ignore someone's argument as they are using the official abbreviation.

No, it's not. The producers have said the official abbreviation is DSC. If you want to argue for DIS rather than DSC the same way people use VOY instead of VGR, that's reasonable. But the producers have been consistent from the start, the abbreviation is not STD.

Here are tweets from John Van Citters from 2016. He is VP of Star Trek Brand Development at CBS.

The only people using STD are former fans who dislike the show and are using the abbreviation to mock it.

I appreciate that you dug those tweets up. I have never heard anyone refer to Voyager as VGR. Is that a thing? I've always seen/used VOY.
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭

I didn't start any missions until Thursday night. I was about 11000th place after 24 hours. I ran full tilt (lots of 3* time boosts) just for the fun of it to see if I could hit 1500. Finished about 1750 with a set of shuttles uncollected that would have put me around 1600. There was a lot of congestion ahead of me and I would have needed another 24 hours to get to 1400 going full tilt. Events have definitely gotten more difficult.