Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: Fixed Variables - 03/14

1234568»

Comments

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been finding the Reliant the toughest ship.

It might be just a little tougher than the Breen one. That sudden jump to full Health when about half down on the Breen seems like it makes it take longer. But, the Reliant is hanging tough, too.

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reliant is always a tough out for me. She is the only ship that gets through my Cube shields - roughly 1/3 of the time. It just feels like she outplays her listed stats. Been that way for me since they introduced her.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Reliant has consistently been the toughest ship for me in every event since it was introduced.
  • Seems like pretty intense competition for a character that isn't universally appreciated.
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like pretty intense competition for a character that isn't universally appreciated.

It actually doesn't seem that bad to me for a Skirmish, to be honest..
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    I might have an analogy on the whole "Sci/Eng" thing on Archer.

There are probably quite a few car mechanics that can tear down a car engine and put it back together. And the car engine will purr like a kitten when they are done. {Engineering}
    The doesn't mean those same mechanics could sit down at a drafting table and design a brand new type of engine using new technology and scientific principles drawing knowledge from a dozen different disciplines and theories. {Science}

It's actually kind of the other way around. For example, Chemical Engineers also study science. Science is how stuff works (car parts and their function) and engineering is studying processes as well as science (designing the car). @Dirk Gunderson had a good picture. The items do certain things and engineering is putting them together in a system. Archer would need to have knowledge of science (Physics/Chemisty/Thermodynamics etc) to know how the chemical reactions and mathematical equations work (science) and designing the warp engine/ship itself would be the engineering. In a scientific process you would have a few engineers overseeing the process and scientists doing the repetitive testing and hands on stuff to provide data to the engineers to make sure it's working.

Geordi and Scotty are chief engineers because they oversee the entire process (ship). They should have strong ENG and SCI in the game. They have engineers to help and scientists to do the grunt work.
  • RegolasRegolas ✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    Woghd wrote: »
    Even the semi-canon NX-Refit would be neat, for an event with Archer.

Semi-canon because it was designed by Doug Drexler, planned for a Season 5 of Enterprise, which never happened.

31555340a8ba5098f784e9936a288632.jpg

Cool redesign. If Season Five had also done away with the worst series finale since "Blake's 7" that would have been even more awesome!!!!!

Well you have to blame b-4 for that finale. If he wasn’t cast then nemesis might not have tanked so badly and enterprise would have got 5th season

Well UPN cancelled their #1 show...what were they think8ng?

UPN went under at that same time, It was cancelled no matter what.

Yup. There was zero chance of it getting a fifth season once the WB merger was announced. The CW had a specific target market, and Enterprise was never going to fit in.

Don’t forget the lead in show for Enterprise was America’s Next Top Model. That has to be one of the most boneheaded decisions in tv history. It’s a shame that E didn’t get a chance to run out the 7 seasons.
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like pretty intense competition for a character that isn't universally appreciated.

I have been hovering at the same rank ~225-275, the past two days with only casual involvement.
    [St. Patrick's Day requires me to cook lots of Corned Beef and imbibe in much Irish coffee]

The plus side of this, after Fully Equipping Test Pilot Archer, in my farming of Intel, I managed to also Fully Equip six 4/4s which have been sleeping in my crew. So this was a rather productive weekend.
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • PompeyMagnusPompeyMagnus ✭✭✭✭

Getting into and staying in the top 150 has been a tedious grind. I'm not remotely interested in Old Kim, but I've continued the grind for all the honour (nearly 20k), chrons (9-10k) and holoemitters (from intel farming) I've earned.
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

Reliant has consistently been the toughest ship for me in every event since it was introduced.

It's more than a match... for poor... Enterprise...
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
    Webberoni wrote: »
    I decided to do a bit of a drop-rate test, after the discussion about chrons near the start of the event.

Investment
    - 1 supply kit
    - 10,130 chrons spent farming space battles
    - 150 skirmishes completed

Return
    - 9,025 chrons attained from skirmish (12.8% drop rate) & threshold rewards
    - 2,500-3,000 holoemitters for my bottlenecked starbase
    - ~32,000 event points
    - 1 premium pull (100 honor)
    - lots of good, expensive, commonly used 3* and 4* equipment
    - 100+ x 11 common galaxy recipe items (all are exclusively or far more efficiently farmed via space battles)
    - I did not track the following drops: honor, credits, intel

Net ROI
    - 1,105 chrons spent
    - top-1000 finish (sitting around 650 with 30 minutes remaining) --> 100 dilithium, 1/5 Kim, 5 premium pulls (500 honor), 400 merits, 1,100 honor (4/4 & 3/3 crew)

How much intel did you have left over? If you had a fair amount, you probably could have scaled back some initial chroniton use to finish the event about even. I know you did a lot of useful things but for me leftover intel is a bit of a waste.
  • SovinoxSovinox ✭✭✭
    I decided to do a bit of a drop-rate test, after the discussion about chrons near the start of the event.

Investment
    - 1 supply kit

Return
    - ~32,000 event points
    - 100+ x 11 common galaxy recipe items (all are exclusively or far more efficiently farmed via space battles)

Net ROI
    - 1,105 chrons spent
    - top-1000 finish (sitting around 650 with 30 minutes remaining) --> 100 dilithium, 1/5 Kim, 5 premium pulls (500 honor), 400 merits, 1,100 honor (4/4 & 3/3 crew)

What is missing in your analysis is the amount of time spent during the event. For me personally, this is the biggest issue with skirmishes. It takes way too much time for the rewards involved, especially as you actually need to pay attention during ship battles.
  • Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Sovinox wrote: »

Investment
    - 1 supply kit

Return
    - ~32,000 event points

Net ROI
    - 1,105 chrons spent

What is missing in your analysis is the amount of time spent during the event. For me personally, this is the biggest issue with skirmishes. It takes way too much time for the rewards involved, especially as you actually need to pay attention during ship battles.

Anything in any game is subject to your decision if it's worth spending time on. This analysis just gives you some idea of what you get for the time spent, in order to make a more informed decision for yourself.

Excellent summary, thanks for sharing.
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did find that Chron drops did increase for me as the event went on. Just a fluke that my first 100,000 VP were chron free. It actually worked out, as the threshold chron rewards dried up, the bonus awards supplemented my Intel farming. In the end, I spent zero of my stored chrons and ended up the richer.
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

Investment
    - 1 supply kit

Return
    - ~32,000 event points

Net ROI
    - 1,105 chrons spent

How much intel did you have left over? If you had a fair amount, you probably could have scaled back some initial chroniton use to finish the event about even. I know you did a lot of useful things but for me leftover intel is a bit of a waste.

None. In fact, I wound up running 5 extra missions (5 x 24 = 120 chrons) to complete 1 additional skirmish so that I could sneak into the top-650 for the extra 25 dil!

Investment
    - 1 supply kit

Return
    - ~32,000 event points

Net ROI
    - 1,105 chrons spent

With my setup I was able to idly tap buttons while doing other things, such as watching tv, without ever worrying about being destroyed. You are correct though that time is a huge factor. Even at 3 minutes per skirmish, that's roughly 8 hours to complete 150 skirmishes. That isn't a huge amount though, since the event runs 96 hours across 5 days.
  • SovinoxSovinox ✭✭✭

With my setup I was able to idly tap buttons while doing other things, such as watching tv, without ever worrying about being destroyed. You are correct though that time is a huge factor. Even at 3 minutes per skirmish, that's roughly 8 hours to complete 150 skirmishes. That isn't a huge amount though, since the event runs 96 hours across 5 days.

Thanks for adding this. This is really useful for me. I have limited amount of time to spend on the game and wanted some perspective on how much skirmishes actually take.

Thanks for adding this. This is really useful for me. I have limited amount of time to spend on the game and wanted some perspective on how much skirmishes actually take.

The key is finding a setup that works for you and getting the timing down. After that you can get through a skirmish rather quickly without having to think about it.

The other nice thing is that you can activate a supply kit and build a huge stockpile of intel whenever you want early on (good to time it for when you can level the event crew as well), since you don't have to worry about losing intel when the event shifts from phase-1 to phase-2. I spent an hour strategically farming equipment, which built up a stockpile of about 140k intel. I then took my time over the next 3 days burning through it, whenever I had free time or could idly play while doing something else.

It seems like a lot of time if you were to do it in a single sitting, but it actually wasn't too bad spread out across a few days.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I used up all my intel definitely didn’t get back all my chrons but am I fussed nope

Over the course of the event I netted 27k in honor;
    Immortalised;
    Tribunal Pike
    Dr La Forge
    Test Pilot Archer
    Pel
    Tolian Soran

Fully Equipped;
    Friar Tuck Data
    T’Mir
    AOS Crusher
    Klingon Bride Jadzia
    Dr Katherine Pulaski

And brought Lily Sloane (who has been a bane since her event) within touching distance of being immortalised at level 90 and Marshall Q up to level 80

Also ranked 400 and something so gained Kim and dilithium didn’t put a lot of chrons in to begin with and then lived off voyage chrons used 2 supply kits at the start and end.

If someone asked me if skirmishes are worth it I’d be hard press to find a reason they aren’t. Yes it takes dedication but they don’t happen every week so when they do come up I make allowance for this. There will be a weekend when it’s not convenient but I’ll still take advantage as best I can.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skirmishes would get to be a grind if they were more frequent, definitely. As it is, I’m happy with my end rank at 2,121st place thanks to the honor alone (which I did not track very closely but is somewhere around 15k higher than where it was, including daily drops and airlocked duplicate crew).
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    And singlehandedly I can build a Level 5 Starbase room. Possibly a second if you balance the Holoemitters right.
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Skirmishes would get to be a grind if they were more frequent, definitely. As it is, I’m happy with my end rank at 2,121st place thanks to the honor alone (which I did not track very closely but is somewhere around 15k higher than where it was, including daily drops and airlocked duplicate crew).

The frequency is key, for sure. Once a month or so is often enough, but not so often we get clicked out, firing Abilities.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."

Investment
    - 1 supply kit

Return
    - ~32,000 event points

Net ROI
    - 1,105 chrons spent

None. In fact, I wound up running 5 extra missions (5 x 24 = 120 chrons) to complete 1 additional skirmish so that I could sneak into the top-650 for the extra 25 dil!

Efficient. 🙂
  • 5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've decided that henceforh Captain Harry shall be known as "Allergic Reaction Kim".
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skirmishes are time intensive but I did most of it while I was watching tv. I was able to farm items I needed, lvl crew I needed, and get about 20,000 honor.
    Let’s fly!
  • garnergarner ✭✭✭
    Skirmishes are heavily time intensive, but have a huge return in chrons & honor. And effectively in credits if you spend those chrons. The credit & intel reward drops are actually worthless as you get more from a 40 chron 10xwarp.

But an effective ship build is less taps per 1k points than galaxy. I had 5 to 7 taps per 1k points.
    Open, two to four crew activations, choose reward, collect reward.
    Whilst galaxy is 3x open recipe, open crew, pick crew, build, then claim points, so 9-13 with the two slot recipes.
  • 5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Test Pilot Archer is definitely scowling at me in my favorited crew training list for not bothering to try to get him his 4th star.
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.