Home Ready Room

Do Not Airlock Checklist Thread 4

Comments

• Mirror McCoy, EV Suit Worf, and Adira Tal aren't working, but from what I can see, that's a DataCore problem, not a sheet problem, because I don't see them in the export.
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirror McCoy, EV Suit Worf, and Adira Tal aren't working, but from what I can see, that's a DataCore problem, not a sheet problem, because I don't see them in the export.

They must not have added the new crew yet. WooHoo. we are ahead of them for a change. :-)
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Oh frick... SIX event crew this time...
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    @AdmiralMemo New version is published, and the sheet supports six event crew now as well.

Please note, Adira Tal is still on the current sheet pending her official release. She will be update then. EDF Adira has been added as well and the traits are now accurate. (thanks @klobetime )

• [VIP0]USS Dart[VIP0]USS Dart ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I'm going to broach the subject of something I've raised before: whether the sheet should identify top voyagers by rarity. I submit it should not. In short, if the voyage score on my 2/5 redshirt exceeds that of my 4/4 Kirk, the redshirt should be retained.

As I was setting up a voyage this morning, it occurred to me that Datacore operates on the same principle. For each crew slot, it scans the crew for the best combination of skills and traits, regardless of rarity. As a level 70+ captain, my voyages often consist of both purples and golds.

Assuming that a captain is only retaining certain purple crew because the sheet considers them as top voyagers for purple rarity only, freezing them would assist in the usual crew slot shortage.

My $.02.
  • Or a method to turn this off in the settings screen if that might be an easier solution.
    Might also be an approach to this , while at the same time speeding up calculations for players with big rosters ..
  • Yeah, I agree that it should be a setting rather than something that is global for everyone. Some may like it, and others won't, much like the toggles for "Maximum Base Values" and such.
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to broach the subject of something I've raised before: whether the sheet should identify top voyagers by rarity. I submit it should not. In short, if the voyage score on my 2/5 redshirt exceeds that of my 4/4 Kirk, the redshirt should be retained.

As I was setting up a voyage this morning, it occurred to me that Datacore operates on the same principle. For each crew slot, it scans the crew for the best combination of skills and traits, regardless of rarity. As a level 70+ captain, my voyages often consist of both purples and golds.

Assuming that a captain is only retaining certain purple crew because the sheet considers them as top voyagers for purple rarity only, freezing them would assist in the usual crew slot shortage.

My $.02.

The voyage tab and by extension the stats tab already calculate voyage stats based on FF star level. I should be able to leverage that logic for this. I'll take a look and see what I might be able to do.
  • cmdrworf, thank you for considering my suggestion. JiveDutch and AdmiralMemo, I'm open to whatever the consensus is.

I've discovered something odd when updating the sheet this morning. I picked up a Rios off a voyage and I recall airlocking him earlier. On the sheet, here's how he is represented:

sppvi3utssiz.png

Note that I exported my datacore data twice and this recurred each time.
  • Did DataCore change Rios on their end, maybe?
  • JiveDutchJiveDutch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    This is how he looks on the import tab for me ... and my crew tab looks similar to Dart's
    nsakx832mfyr.png
    "Cristóbal Rios","true","Rios","4","4","100","1","0 1 2 3","7","true","","529","494","974","136","312","658","148","293","0","0","0","0","0","0","0","0","0","383","128","243","Human,Pilot,Survivalist,Resourceful,Casual,Federation,Civilian,Scoundrel,male,pic,rios,crew_max_rarity_4","If You Say So","Evasion","8","4","5","8","","","","","","400","145","137","250",""

Here is the line from my datacore export ...
  • DataCore made some sort of change that caused the accented character to change around 4.06, then fixed it around 4.09. Looks like it is back again for some reason. I'll change the name back in 4.12 so the sheet finds him.
  • klobetime wrote: »
    DataCore made some sort of change that caused the accented character to change around 4.06, then fixed it around 4.09. Looks like it is back again for some reason. I'll change the name back in 4.12 so the sheet finds him.

Thank you. One suggestion for Datacore might to identify somewhere when it was last updated. That would help players better interpret whether certain results are a function of a pending update or something else going on.
  • I think the standard (RFC 4180) for CSV predates UTF-8 and thus only specifies ASCII (7-bit) encoding. I wonder why things worked before now though (the name for Cristóbal Rios was not updated with the change). I think you're right, the presence of the ’ character (now replaced with ') must've triggered Excel to treat the entire file as UTF-8 encoded.

Hmm, not sure how to fix this, suggestions welcome (adding a BOM might solve the problem for some text editors but make it worse for others). Perhaps we (3rd party resources) can agree to misspell "Cristóbal" to "Cristobal" across the board since it looks like this is the only remaining non-ASCII character for English crew names?

Another alternative might be to use the XLSX (Excel format) download instead of the CSV, though I'm not sure if it includes all the same information - we can format it if needed.
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    I would be fine with agreeing to a technical misspelling
    @TemporalAgent7: Since this issue seems to be happening again, any update on what the plan is regarding the whole mangled character?
  • AdmiralMemoAdmiralMemo ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I've discovered something odd when updating the sheet this morning. I picked up a Rios off a voyage and I recall airlocking him earlier. On the sheet, here's how he is represented:

sppvi3utssiz.png

Note that I exported my datacore data twice and this recurred each time.
    JiveDutch wrote: »
    This is how he looks on the import tab for me ... and my crew tab looks similar to Dart's
    nsakx832mfyr.png
    "Cristóbal Rios","true","Rios","4","4","100","1","0 1 2 3","7","true","","529","494","974","136","312","658","148","293","0","0","0","0","0","0","0","0","0","383","128","243","Human,Pilot,Survivalist,Resourceful,Casual,Federation,Civilian,Scoundrel,male,pic,rios,crew_max_rarity_4","If You Say So","Evasion","8","4","5","8","","","","","","400","145","137","250",""

Here is the line from my datacore export ...
    Replacing "Crist��bal Rios" with "Cristóbal Rios" on the Import page will fix the issue for now.
  • The only change we did recently on the DataCore side was sort the crew by their added date. Perhaps one of the recently added crew has a weird Unicode character hiding somewhere that triggered the encoding change. I'll try to keep an eye on it.
  • The only change we did recently on the DataCore side was sort the crew by their added date.

I didn't mean anything negative -- I apologize if I implied otherwise!

I took a look at the CSV export and the first (only) non-ascii character in my file is the ó from Rios. I did find several other characters (all curved apostrophes like ’) in columns not really used by the DNA import: Vashti Picard, Nepenthe Troi, Jhamel, Emory Erickson, Boreth Pike, Carlos Data (two in this entry), Mirror McCoy, and Kevin Uxbridge. Don't think any of those matter, though, but I believe you'd tried to get rid of those at one point.

I moved the Rios entry to the bottom of my CSV (after all the other entries) and reimported but got the same �� thing. Clearly this is an issue with non-ascii encoding and importing into Google/Excel, but not sure what the trigger is that makes it interpret one way or the other.

I loaded the CSV in Excel and saw garbage characters there as well. I edited to have the ó and resaved as CSV, but the resulting file had a ? instead. Ugh.
  • Not sure how to fix that; it can break the next time they add a special character. I guess we can go back to the idea of incorrectly renaming him to "Cristobal" across the board, or we can try using symbols instead (that will make the sheet accessible to folks that don't use English in-game as well)
  • Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how to fix that; it can break the next time they add a special character. I guess we can go back to the idea of incorrectly renaming him to "Cristobal" across the board, or we can try using symbols instead (that will make the sheet accessible to folks that don't use English in-game as well)

I'd probably recommend this. If we can get a list together of all these crew with strange iterations or uncommon symbols in their name and come to a common naming convention for them it would smooth out a lot of the problems, but now...who's apostrophe do we use :lol:
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how to fix that; it can break the next time they add a special character. I guess we can go back to the idea of incorrectly renaming him to "Cristobal" across the board, or we can try using symbols instead (that will make the sheet accessible to folks that don't use English in-game as well)

I'd probably recommend this. If we can get a list together of all these crew with strange iterations or uncommon symbols in their name and come to a common naming convention for them it would smooth out a lot of the problems, but now...who's apostrophe do we use :lol:

I like this approach. Its all nice seeing the community tools come together as we all build upon one another.
  • I added a Symbol field to the CSV exports (it's the last column so shouldn't affect existing tools depending on it). It's also available in the static CSV if you need a source to add it in your hidden tabs.

Using symbol as the correlating field instead of the name will also help folks using other languages - I know in the past they needed to switch in-game language to English to be able to make their export work with the spreadsheets because WRG is translating crew names as well (for example "Ambassador K'Ehleyr" ends up "Botschafterin K'Ehleyr", "Ambassadeur K'Ehleyr" and "Embajadora K'Ehleyr" in DE, FR and SP respectively).
  • Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this approach. Its all nice seeing the community tools come together as we all build upon one another.

If you have Discord we can all communicate on the Datacore's server. Ask the server owner to give us a room so we can...adjust the error as it were :lol:
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Version published.

Added a bunch of new crew.

Added New Feature - Dilemma Tab - Shows all dilemmas and and what choices to get exclusive crew. Also shows your current stars on the voyage only crew. thanks to the STT Wiki for creating this as I'm loading in their table to present this.
  • IceCatIceCat ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Version published.

Added New Feature - Dilemma Tab - Shows all dilemmas and and what choices to get exclusive crew. Also shows your current stars on the voyage only crew. thanks to the STT Wiki for creating this as I'm loading in their table to present this.

Thank you for this and all the work you do :)
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    There is an error on this sheet. Give me 5 min and it should be good. -Fixed now

@IceCat Thank you.
  • IceCatIceCat ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is an error on this sheet. Give me 5 min and it should be good. -Fixed now

@IceCat Thank you.

I noticed something was glitching. It's all good. Thank you again for fixing it so fast.
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    one more stealth fix. Mike Burnham was missed on the crew tab. fixed now. Thanks @klobetime
  • cmdrworf wrote: »
    New Version published.

This is a fun update, thank you!
  • dext74dext74 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    EDIT: Removed. I am, in fact, an idiot.
  • Figured out why my Gauntlet sheet wasn't working... The first row in the "Gauntlet Overall" column references $DC in the formulas, but all the rest of the rows reference $DB instead.tksxl3dkts40.png