Home The Bridge

Only thing missing is a Portal Update

Comments

• Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »

I’d be far more interested in the maximum time in between updates...and, if we’re being honest, an entire plot of all of the durations between updates. Insatiable curiosity, and all that. :)

159 days is the longest they have gone, prior to now. (October 12, 2017 - March 20th, 2018)

It has currently been 205 days since our last update (March 17th, 2020)

If it's because they're making Decripit Legendaries™ a separate pool, then it's worth the wait. ;)

I really hope that this is the case. However then you get to the thorny question of do the existing premium packs turn into Decrepit Legendary Packs or more recent Legendary Packs?

What I can say is that I am reluctant to buy that $50 offer without knowing the answers to these questions. I want to buy it, it's a good deal in theory, but the premiums packs as they stand are likely just honor for me, or a fuse of a character that I never use already and 1 fuse won't make much of a difference to that.

Existing packs would remain as premium pulls. It would have to be announced a couple weeks in advance so players could pull from the existing pool, if they so desire. It would be kind of lame to convert purchased packs to packs of a lesser dilithium value.
    (This is all my idea of how it should work and not necessarily how WRG would actually implement the idea, if they ever do.)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Thurthorad wrote: »

I really hope that this is the case. However then you get to the thorny question of do the existing premium packs turn into Decrepit Legendary Packs or more recent Legendary Packs?

There can be simple (this not same as popular!) solutions to this:
    a) packs in your stock must be used by <date>, after which a update will be pushed introducing a tiered pack approach

or

b) packs in your stock will be tier 1 as that is what they were when you bought them; you can convert up to xx% to the lower tier at a multiplier of new::old

or something similar along those lines
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    KaiRo wrote: »
    I used to be grumpy about the selection of Dabo ship schematics but realized there is a benefit to having a limited pool - a smaller schematics pool for Dabo means that new players will have an easier time at amassing enough schematics for those ships than if the portal had every 5* ship. The same honestly applies to voyages as well - I may find it annoying to have to avoid getting 600 more useless NX-01 schematics but someone who doesn’t have a 5* ship is probably pretty happy to see them come up so often.

Given that other Dabo entries adjust to the player, those ship schematics could as well, e.g. increase the pool from which it selects randomly once you have all the ships in the primary pool maxed out, or something like that.

That’s a wonderful idea in theory. But given how the fuzzy logic already employed for items will supply plenty of duplicates of existing items, I can see this backfiring a bit - the expectation would be set up that you’ll always have a chance at finishing an incomplete ship, which would then be violently dashed by getting your 12,000th schematic for the HMS Bounty.
  • KaiRoKaiRo ✭✭✭
    Sure, sometimes I'd get another Bounty or Borg Cube, but sometimes maybe a Valdore or even Artifact. Better than always the few old ships.
    "Don't try to be a great man... just be a man. Let history make its own judgments."
    -- Dr. Zefram Cochrane, around 2073
  • Bumping this to the top because TP is doing good cleanup work piece by piece now, and I appreciate it, but this is a big important aspect that's missing!
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm up to 80 packs that I would like to open. Waiting though, so I can get some SR's that were in Tuesday packs.
    Farewell 🖖
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm up to 80 packs that I would like to open. Waiting though, so I can get some SR's that were in Tuesday packs.

129 and counting.......
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

I’d be far more interested in the maximum time in between updates...and, if we’re being honest, an entire plot of all of the durations between updates. Insatiable curiosity, and all that. :)

159 days is the longest they have gone, prior to now. (October 12, 2017 - March 20th, 2018)

If it's because they're making Decripit Legendaries™ a separate pool, then it's worth the wait. ;)

What I can say is that I am reluctant to buy that $50 offer without knowing the answers to these questions. I want to buy it, it's a good deal in theory, but the premiums packs as they stand are likely just honor for me, or a fuse of a character that I never use already and 1 fuse won't make much of a difference to that.

I would love it if DL’s became a separate pool; and yet I do not see TP potentially reducing a revenue stream by separating out packs into DL’s and, for lack of a better term, “recents”. It is nice to dream though (and I do hope for it)...

“A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...

I would love it if DL’s became a separate pool; and yet I do not see TP potentially reducing a revenue stream by separating out packs into DL’s and, for lack of a better term, “recents”. It is nice to dream though (and I do hope for it)...

I'm not sure how much of a revenue stream it is though. Currently we already have super-rares that are significantly stronger at 4/4* than an old 1/5* or even 3/5*. It won't be long until we have super-rares that are stronger at 4/4* than an old 5/5*. Which means that even new players will have disappointing experiences with "useless" begolds.
    Given how rare and expensive legendary drops are, it's of no advantage to the company if one in three of them turns out to be disappointing to most of their playerbase.
    edited October 2020

I'm not sure how much of a revenue stream it is though. Currently we already have super-rares that are significantly stronger at 4/4* than an old 1/5* or even 3/5*. It won't be long until we have super-rares that are stronger at 4/4* than an old 5/5*. Which means that even new players will have disappointing experiences with "useless" begolds.
    Given how rare and expensive legendary drops are, it's of no advantage to the company if one in three of them turns out to be disappointing to most of their playerbase.

People still buy dilithium/packs and various combinations of deals offered (like the 10 packs for $9.99 as well as others we’ve seen). The more characters in the pack, the less your odds of obtaining who you’d like. You may even be enticed to try again in a single pack purchase or another TP “deal” offer. That was my thought process on the post. Just my humble opinion.

“A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

People still buy dilithium/packs and various combinations of deals offered (like the 10 packs for $9.99 as well as others we’ve seen). The more characters in the pack, the less your odds of obtaining who you’d like. You may even be enticed to try again in a single pack purchase or another TP “deal” offer. That was my thought process on the post. Just my humble opinion.

But how many people hold back on buying packs or dilithium, because of how low the chances are to get something that they actually want or need for their gameplay?

I mean, I don't know the numbers, so you could be right. It all depends on how many people are happy with how things are or are willing to spend more out of frustration vs how many choose to spend less or nothing at all because they know that the experience would probably be disappointing.

• I’d be far more interested in the maximum time in between updates...and, if we’re being honest, an entire plot of all of the durations between updates. Insatiable curiosity, and all that. :)

if that is the case....glad i maxed Shinzon
  • Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm waiting on a portal update to open my premium pulls, and in turn use my legendary citations.

While I'm a little grouchy we didn't get one over the summer, at this point I'm probably waiting for the next honor sale anyway.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport

But how many people hold back on buying packs or dilithium, because of how low the chances are to get something that they actually want or need for their gameplay?

I mean, I don't know the numbers, so you could be right. It all depends on how many people are happy with how things are or are willing to spend more out of frustration vs how many choose to spend less or nothing at all because they know that the experience would probably be disappointing.

Very true. I could be way off base. It would be nice to have that information from TP. As a business, I just have to think that if TP weren’t making sufficient income off that revenue stream, they’d tweak it. Then again, maybe they will tweak it? And that might be due to an ineffective revenue process? The future will tell us. I’d welcome the change; I’m just not getting my hopes up.

We’ve all been at this familiar juncture before. Hopes up, dreams crushed! 😆

• @ShadowPresence, who are you using the free 4* campaign citations on? For me, crew like Shelby, Fajo, and Braxton get them since they are not in portal after their events. I‘d just let random drops from packs and voyages close out any older in-portal cards (e.g., Russell). The only exceptions I’ve made were 4th stars for Capt Janeway and Indignant Seven, both to enable their 5* fusions.

That's what I did. I used them to immortalize Evolved Janeway and get Indulgent Seven. And those 4* that aren't in the portal yet aren't a big priority for me. They're just collecting age at this point.
  • So what are your bets on which is more liekly? Portal update just before or just after the traditional December Elusive Treasures?
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what are your bets on which is more liekly? Portal update just before or just after the traditional December Elusive Treasures?

After. Historically, ET packs have been done right before a portal update when the not-in-portal collection of crew is at its largest and the players are at their hungriest to bite on the packs and the special offers that usually accompany them.
    edited November 2020
    So what are your bets on which is more liekly? Portal update just before or just after the traditional December Elusive Treasures?

What odds are being offered? ;) (hypothetical of course)

• So what are your bets on which is more liekly? Portal update just before or just after the traditional December Elusive Treasures?

5000 Quatloos for after Elusive Treasures
    300 Quatloos for after the Convergence Day honor sale