Home The Bridge

Crew Retrieval Introduction Discussion

Comments

• ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    e67xucfewtbd.jpg
    Whilst I enjoy the new feature, there is something infuriating about finally getting a Federation polestar at 41% scanning.

I still think the RNG used is dodgy, as I'm averaging one every 11 scans, which over the time period is statistically extremely unlikely.
  • I for one do not like this entire quantum thing. It takes days to get to max, meanwhile I got tons of ISM because it is dropping everywhere. The problem is I got tons of pollstars, but not enough quantum, and I just don't put much effort into it, because the 3 times I did a pull I got dups on crew that I already had at max.
  • ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    marcuscat wrote: »
    I for one do not like this entire quantum thing. It takes days to get to max, meanwhile I got tons of ISM because it is dropping everywhere. The problem is I got tons of pollstars, but not enough quantum, and I just don't put much effort into it, because the 3 times I did a pull I got dups on crew that I already had at max.

Surely you should have enough polestars to target specific crew then? I already know the polestars needed for my next 3 crew (4 if there is a portal update soon). The discount for allowing greater range in outcome is not enough to compensate for having to wait another 2 weeks for another go.
  • ALeeRocksALeeRocks ✭✭✭
    Arnie wrote: »
    e67xucfewtbd.jpg
    Whilst I enjoy the new feature, there is something infuriating about finally getting a Federation polestar at 41% scanning.

I still think the RNG used is dodgy, as I'm averaging one every 11 scans, which over the time period is statistically extremely unlikely.

As statistically shown many posts ago, averaging one Constellation every 11 scans is not extremely unlikley, but instead, you are doing rather well...

9bkmrq184zpc.png
  • ALeeRocks wrote: »
    e67xucfewtbd.jpg

As statistically shown many posts ago, averaging one Constellation every 11 scans is not extremely unlikley, but instead, you are doing rather well...

9bkmrq184zpc.png

No, it is, as Arnie says, extremely unlikely. It goes to 50/50 between 8 and 9 scans as you showed. Your average should be around there given a large enough sample size. Arnie's either had some very bad luck or has lost track of actual scans vs. polestars (or is using a sample size that is too small!) is my guess, though I have not been tracking carefully myself. It is of course possible that there is something wrong with the RNG, but attempts to prove that to be the case in this game seem to always fall short. I do know that I got three polestars on 8 scans yesterday, so maybe I stole Arnie's luck?
  • ALeeRocksALeeRocks ✭✭✭
    ALeeRocks wrote: »
    e67xucfewtbd.jpg

9bkmrq184zpc.png

No, it is, as Arnie says, extremely unlikely. It goes to 50/50 between 8 and 9 scans as you showed. Your average should be around there given a large enough sample size. Arnie's either had some very bad luck or has lost track of actual scans vs. polestars (or is using a sample size that is too small!) is my guess, though I have not been tracking carefully myself. It is of course possible that there is something wrong with the RNG, but attempts to prove that to be the case in this game seem to always fall short. I do know that I got three polestars on 8 scans yesterday, so maybe I stole Arnie's luck?

My bad - you are correct - I misinterpreted that spreadsheet...

Still, extremely unlikely is a little strong - perhaps just unlikely. :wink:
  • ALeeRocks wrote: »
    ALeeRocks wrote: »
    e67xucfewtbd.jpg

9bkmrq184zpc.png

My bad - you are correct - I misinterpreted that spreadsheet...

Still, extremely unlikely is a little strong - perhaps just unlikely. :wink:

Yes, depends on Arnie's sample size.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once got a constellation at 1%. But then, I've failed shuttles at 99%, so there you are. I think my longest to get a constellation was in the upper 30s. Usually I get one about 25%.
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am getting one Consti every other day. I scan up to the 800 and use the free ad on that one. Have 8 human, 7 starfleet.....but oh well, takes 3 weeks for Q to recharge anyway
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    I have 43 polestars, and have used 13 (56 total). I scanned 6 times a day the first week, and have averaged 8 scans a day at least (6 earlier, but usually 8, and 10 more recently due to excess ISM).

Now, my memory is hazy, but I thought we got around 27 polestars/constellations at the start through various means, so I'd have needed to get 29 constellations from around 330 scans.

I may be discounting something somewhere, but I do seem to be getting one every day and a half. I'd note that I'm still getting enough polestars to be using the tool perfectly well, it's just another case where medium-term use of RNG seems to be not adding-up.
  • ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    I once got a constellation at 1%. But then, I've failed shuttles at 99%, so there you are. I think my longest to get a constellation was in the upper 30s. Usually I get one about 25%.
    If you failed 99% shuttles once a day on average though, you'd start questioning how that 1% is generated.
    Using the above table, you should be getting one before the 25% scan 5 times in 6.
  • ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    btkvy3futsa9.jpg
    I've clearly upset the Gods of RNG with this. Another 1 in 100 odds of failure in a row.
  • IceCatIceCat ✭✭✭✭✭
    btkvy3futsa9.jpg
    I've clearly upset the Gods of RNG with this. Another 1 in 100 odds of failure in a row.

Where are you getting this would be a 1 in 100 chance of failure?
  • ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    IceCat wrote: »
    btkvy3futsa9.jpg

Where are you getting this would be a 1 in 100 chance of failure?

Calculating the odds, per the above table- losing a 1 in 100 shot, then a 3 in 100 shot, then a 5 in 100 shot etc. Until you lose a 39 in 100 shot.
  • KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got an Arandis constellation a few days ago. Opened it and got Risian :s

Now I have a Mugato constellation waiting to disappoint me.
    I have a Malon polestar. I wish I could trade you that Risian, my Arandis is 2/4 (yeah, like I'm gonna spend 800 quantum on that)

What are the chances of more characters with those traits? :(
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the Malon were in several episodes of Voyager and that crewman that was transformed by the radiation could be interesting. Duelist B'Elanna needs something to fight!
    Been a while since I watched DS9's Risa episode, but Enterprise had one and there could be one or two with that, plus the universe is growing. There are enough series to have a Risa episode or a Risan character pop up.
    As for Writer, there are a dozen with that trait. Seven golds- Quinn and six that are in portal or will be. Writer plus Vulcan guarantees Capt. Solok. M'Ress has it as well. There are probably several unique combos using it that would get you a gold without needing a 5* pole star.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    This is what I get with Writer (2 golds, Benny and War Jake)
    ve2bkrc6nkui.png

A somewhat nice combo
    xc21qxg0artb.png

• W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    There are four more that aren't in the portal yet and one exempt, all golds. Kellis, Solok, Kay Eaton, and M'Ress need to be added and Quinn is unique. Aleek-Om should have it and doesn't. They wrote a history of Orion, which you have to build to equip them, but they don't have the Writer.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • I also just got a Ba'ku polestar from Anij :sweat_smile:

But at least Mugato gave me Primal and not Mugato.
  • KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright! Constellation at 9%, and it looks good (no starfleet, federation, human or major races!)
    lajjf8tbr1dr.png
    Brutal. That's cool. I like Brutal. Lots of Borg with Brutal, and some other cool characters (Warship EMA, Fury Kes)
    zwnc2nnotity.png
  • ut54cu98atet.jpg

Am I supposed to be seeing a mirror here? Because what I actually see is a chef's hat with a weird logo on it.

Edit: OMG I'm dumb. It's Spock's beard and it's genius.

Ah, I see it now! Was unable to see that myself!
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    UPDATING MY FEEDBACK

02swult4mmvd.jpg

If I understand the scanning table shared in this thread, there is a 98.47% chance that I should have succeeded by the time this image was snapped.

This is the third such time I have managed to get to 37% without a success. The exceptionally long droughts (my results do not appear typical thankfully) I have experienced combined with the significantly likely chance that the Polestar I eventually acquire being effectively useless has completely soured me on this entire process.

As you can see, I have over 78,000 ISM currently. I have stopped caring/trying and do 4 scans a day just to do them, but I find I do not care if they succeed or not. At 4 scans a day it has been over 4 days since I hit a Constellation and that should bother me, but it doesn't, because I know from experience that the Constellation I eventually get won't be useful ("proud" owner of TWO Bynar Polestars on my alt!). At this point I've burned through the good Polestars we all got at the start and they have been slowly replaced by the same handful of Polestars I already have multiple copies of, the handful of cards I would actually care to chase copies of are very difficult to isolate, and none of the retrieval options I currently have interest me at all.

And I know you must be saying to yourself right now, but why not just use up all that ISM, it isn't useful for anything else, you may as well just use it on a bunch more scans? I know you are thinking that because others have asked me that exact question and my answer is simple: using ISM to fuel this enterprise has a hidden cost, hope. Spending a resource increases expectations that something good/fun will result. I've effectively blown off the entire system, have a corresponding hope factor of 0, and that has allowed me to remain blissfully ambivalent about the entire thing. I am thankful I can complete my daily scans quicker now, and that is where I stop caring. Increasing my scanning will only increase the frustration when my next 37%+ drought occurs in a few days or when that scan finally yields a Constellation only to magically turn an additional 1,000 ISM into another Human/Starfleet/Federation/Resourceful Polestar.

I find my ISM has more value to me as something to hoard. I actually find that more interesting than stressing myself about maximizing scans, chasing Constellations, or trying to stay ahead of my quantum before it hits 1,000 and stops accumulating. I'm out of useful combinations and I look forward to seeing my quantum hitting 1,000 sometime next week, for me seeing that will feel like a win, and I'll revive my hoarding thread with a screenshot when I hit 250,000 ISM, that will definitely feel like a win.

So my updated feedback is pretty simple: I think TP monetized the wrong part of this thing. I really want to be able to use it, but the only thing I can spend on is quantum, which is useless without Polestars to feed into the retrieval mechanism, and the process of acquiring Polestars is so incredibly difficult I find I do not care to participate. I would welcome some way to use dilithium to re-roll Polestars, trade in existing Polestars for better ones, sell packs of Polestars in the Time Portal, something, ANYTHING!
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    UPDATING MY FEEDBACK

02swult4mmvd.jpg

If I understand the scanning table shared in this thread, there is a 98.47% chance that I should have succeeded by the time this image was snapped.

This is the third such time I have managed to get to 37% without a success. The exceptionally long droughts (my results do not appear typical thankfully) I have experienced combined with the significantly likely chance that the Polestar I eventually acquire being effectively useless has completely soured me on this entire process.

As you can see, I have over 78,000 ISM currently. I have stopped caring/trying and do 4 scans a day just to do them, but I find I do not care if they succeed or not. At 4 scans a day it has been over 4 days since I hit a Constellation and that should bother me, but it doesn't, because I know from experience that the Constellation I eventually get won't be useful ("proud" owner of TWO Bynar Polestars on my alt!). At this point I've burned through the good Polestars we all got at the start and they have been slowly replaced by the same handful of Polestars I already have multiple copies of, the handful of cards I would actually care to chase copies of are very difficult to isolate, and none of the retrieval options I currently have interest me at all.

And I know you must be saying to yourself right now, but why not just use up all that ISM, it isn't useful for anything else, you may as well just use it on a bunch more scans? I know you are thinking that because others have asked me that exact question and my answer is simple: using ISM to fuel this enterprise has a hidden cost, hope. Spending a resource increases expectations that something good/fun will result. I've effectively blown off the entire system, have a corresponding hope factor of 0, and that has allowed me to remain blissfully ambivalent about the entire thing. I am thankful I can complete my daily scans quicker now, and that is where I stop caring. Increasing my scanning will only increase the frustration when my next 37%+ drought occurs in a few days or when that scan finally yields a Constellation only to magically turn an additional 1,000 ISM into another Human/Starfleet/Federation/Resourceful Polestar.

I find my ISM has more value to me as something to hoard. I actually find that more interesting than stressing myself about maximizing scans, chasing Constellations, or trying to stay ahead of my quantum before it hits 1,000 and stops accumulating. I'm out of useful combinations and I look forward to seeing my quantum hitting 1,000 sometime next week, for me seeing that will feel like a win, and I'll revive my hoarding thread with a screenshot when I hit 250,000 ISM, that will definitely feel like a win.

So my updated feedback is pretty simple: I think TP monetized the wrong part of this thing. I really want to be able to use it, but the only thing I can spend on is quantum, which is useless without Polestars to feed into the retrieval mechanism, and the process of acquiring Polestars is so incredibly difficult I find I do not care to participate. I would welcome some way to use dilithium to re-roll Polestars, trade in existing Polestars for better ones, sell packs of Polestars in the Time Portal, something, ANYTHING!

Ouch. That's rough. RNG can **tsk tsk**. But keep at it and hopefully things will turn around.

So far I've been able to retrieve Mycelial Culber, Stranded Quark, Captain Braxton, and I just got the hero polestar to let me retrieve Gay Seven next. It's a great feature if you keep scanning to find more constellations.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Retrieval has been very good to me

ft0qtmnrqf56.jpeg