Home The Bridge

Crew Retrieval Introduction Discussion

Comments

• Warrior WilloWarrior Willo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selene 7 wrote: »
    I'd like to add to my feedback that the ism is already piling up and there's nothing really to do with it except collecting polestars into an equally growing unused pile. (Unless you're spending a lot of dilithium on crew retrieval.) Maybe the campaign and event rewards should be rebalanced. At least the single pulls provided a moment of excitement with the possibility of something good (and a little honor).

Use the extra ism to make extra pulls and increase the amount of constellations you pull. I have been doing that and getting more constellations.

I've been doing that and getting nothing but Federation, Human, Starfleet. This new game mechanic is annoying at best, trolling at worst.

Looks like you are just having a bad run, whilst I have four Star Fleet polestars, I only have one Federation and no human. I have a good variety of polestars and can target three of the four crew I want once I accrue the Quantum. Once their done, I will just add stars once Quantum is available until the next portal refresh when next targets are available. I like the new game mechanic and finds it adds new interest for me.
  • Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Selene 7 wrote: »
    I'd like to add to my feedback that the ism is already piling up and there's nothing really to do with it except collecting polestars into an equally growing unused pile. (Unless you're spending a lot of dilithium on crew retrieval.) Maybe the campaign and event rewards should be rebalanced. At least the single pulls provided a moment of excitement with the possibility of something good (and a little honor).

Personally, I don't see a problem with polestars piling up. The more we have, the likelier it becomes that we'll be able to target a crew that we actually want.

The inability to target specific constellations and polestars and therefore specific crew is my main issue with the feature.

My quantum has been at 1000 for about a week now and I see no reason to use it. I have 38 unique polestars, that would allow me to target one of 166 legendaries that I can narrow down exactly by using them.

The problem is that all of those options:

- are crew that I don't want or need
    - are crew that I want because I like them, but that would add nothing to my roster (so I have no reason to retrieve them now - I might as well wait for a faction event where they're bonus crew)
    - are crew that I already have and I'm not willing to use a polestar that I might never see again to add a star on a crew that I already have

In my opinion the polestar acquisition process is too RNG-heavy. There should be a way to target and obtain specific constellations or polestars, at least occasionally (as event rewards, in packs, through crew dismissal or offers...). It would make the whole feature more interesting and less frustrating.

• Selene 7Selene 7 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I've been lucky with the polestars, or maybe it's that there's no crew I particularly want, so I mainly plug away adding stars. Ergo there are many combinations that work. I'm only using, what, 4 polestars every 3 weeks? Have about 50 polestars or so, and some 40k ism. Ism just doesn't seem very precious to me, I'd rather have some single pulls back in the ranked rewards eg.
  • Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    To me the ISM in the rewards is worth a lot more than the single pulls, as it gives me a small chance to obtain polestars that would allow me to target the one or two cards that I really want.

So between the ISM and the single pulls, I definitely prefer the ISM. Between single pulls and rarity constellations, I'm not so sure though :lol:
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    This new feature has already become a bit of an afterthought for me, within a month of being released.

I echo the sentiments that ISM is building to huge levels, even when doing 8-10 scans every day (scan + ad 4/5 times), especially if you purchase the monthly campaign.

When you finally do get a constellation, the odds are terrible to get a polestar you actually want.

Quantum should theoretically be the limiting factor, once a significant inventory of polestars has been built up. When it is filled it pressures you to retrieve a crew, otherwise you're not maximizing the most limited resource, if it sits day after day not collecting more quantum. Ideally the cap should be raised to more than just a little beyond 1 max cost retrieval.

Aside from that, I'm struggling with my strategy for polestars/quantum - do I add stars for existing crew or get new crew I need/want?

Adding stars
    + good way to strengthen existing crew, especially those it feels like a waste to use a cite on
    - seems like a waste of polestars/quantum to not retrieve new and/or better crew

Getting new crew
    + helps fill skill or skill combo gaps, or get crew I just personally want
    - I could see crew slots becoming an issue, as you are choosing to add more 1/5 crew (with the intent of citing them)
  • ALeeRocksALeeRocks ✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    This new feature has already become a bit of an afterthought for me, within a month of being released.

I echo the sentiments that ISM is building to huge levels, even when doing 8-10 scans every day (scan + ad 4/5 times), especially if you purchase the monthly campaign.

When you finally do get a constellation, the odds are terrible to get a polestar you actually want.

Quantum should theoretically be the limiting factor, once a significant inventory of polestars has been built up. When it is filled it pressures you to retrieve a crew, otherwise you're not maximizing the most limited resource, if it sits day after day not collecting more quantum. Ideally the cap should be raised to more than just a little beyond 1 max cost retrieval.

Aside from that, I'm struggling with my strategy for polestars/quantum - do I add stars for existing crew or get new crew I need/want?

Adding stars
    + good way to strengthen existing crew, especially those it feels like a waste to use a cite on
    - seems like a waste of polestars/quantum to not retrieve new and/or better crew

Getting new crew
    + helps fill skill or skill combo gaps, or get crew I just personally want
    - I could see crew slots becoming an issue, as you are choosing to add more 1/5 crew (with the intent of citing them)

Much like how kids quickly forget about their new, shiny toys after a couple of weeks, the shine has come off of this game-changing feature after TP/WRG's initial launch and gift packs of resources...

I hope that inevitable adjustments/tweaks and promised Phase 2 and Phase 3 enhancements will help make Crew Retrieval more relevant to more players, but until then, it is business as usual.
  • I don’t know if it’s been answered or posted but if I narrow it down to a single 4* and a single 5*, is it a 50:50 chance of either or is it more like 90:10 like a pack?
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another idea, instead of the useless rarity constellation, how about quantum in the rank rewards?

115 quantum a week. If you earn it every week, it'll be enough to earn a 5* every two weeks instead of every 19 days. It won't be a huge reduction so hopefully WRG will be ok with it, but it'll still be better than the rarity constellation yielding a 1-3*.
  • Bylo Band wrote: »
    I chased rank two weeks ago in part to get 6 Rarity Constellations, and FIVE of them were 1*-3* (the 6th was 4*, so effectively all 6 were a waste of 6,000 ISM - and to echo the feedback from practically everyone, why do 1*, 2*, and 3* Polestars even exist?!)

Ouch! :disappointed:
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you @Bylo Band – I have been able to do exactly ONE crew retrieval so far, because of the horrible polestar collection I already have. Kriosian, really? I wonder what they were thinking on a few of these...
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you @Bylo Band – I have been able to do exactly ONE crew retrieval so far, because of the horrible polestar collection I already have. Kriosian, really? I wonder what they were thinking on a few of these...

For me, it's my collection of 7 Human and 5 Starfleet polestars that is trying my patience. The fact that the ones I have the most of appear at the top of the list are only serving to reinforce the annoyance.

I would love to see a bit of weighing happen so that we aren't swimming in those super common ones.
  • KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another Human polestar...
  • The variety is no good. Every constellation I open I receive only Federation, Human, or sometimes civilian. This is useless. Make more choices come in.
  • KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing is, by design, you are more likely to receive "useless" polestars. The ones that filter less crew are therefore the ones present in more crew, so you are more likely to get a constallation of said crew, so more likely to get one of those polestars.

Still, you can find some uses in 3 polestars combos (Human or Federation can be useful for Braxton, any of those two + Pilot + Saboteur)
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanon wrote: »
    The thing is, by design, you are more likely to receive "useless" polestars. The ones that filter less crew are therefore the ones present in more crew, so you are more likely to get a constallation of said crew, so more likely to get one of those polestars.

Still, you can find some uses in 3 polestars combos (Human or Federation can be useful for Braxton, any of those two + Pilot + Saboteur)

Yep. There are combinations out there where a couple common polestars combine for good crew. I don't know if anyone has put that list together yet.

Also useless plus common ones can have a nice combination. I got species 8472 and figured that's a waste. But that plus human gives me Boothby Replicant. So a random one that I thought would yield nothing, plus a super common one yields a top crew.
  • Sven LundgrenSven Lundgren ✭✭✭✭✭
    decisions, decisions....

urbudbbxihzb.png
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    decisions, decisions....

urbudbbxihzb.png

Culber. He has some command and event possibilities. Just slightly lower voyage score.
    Let’s fly!
  • decisions, decisions....

urbudbbxihzb.png

Culber. He has some command and event possibilities. Just slightly lower voyage score.

Also more likely to make events. :Thumbsup:
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    decisions, decisions....

urbudbbxihzb.png

Both are immortal on my crew and Culber gets way more use. Tainer is no slouch, I just find Culber more versatile.
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a suggestion to solve the 1-4 star rarity polestars problem: if you use only those polestars, the Quantum cost should be very small. For example: using just a Common polestar it should be 1 Quantum (or Q); Uncommon would be 10Q; Rare 20Q; and Super Rare 50Q (this last one is most important to get right, as almost everyone still needs some SR stars). All these numbers are just off the top of my head, but the idea is that we should be able to use them immediately with only a minor hit to our Q recharge.

For comparison, these are the current rates:
    Common - **I don't know this one, as I don't have a common polestar**
    Uncommon - 300Q
    Rare - 500Q
    Super Rare - 800Q
    Legendary - 900Q

Just think about it, using just those single polestars we'd be pulling from huge pools. Also, almost all advanced players would only be doing them to get a small amount of honor and to cut down on their polestar inventories. The 5* should stay high, since this is what advanced players most want, but it shouldn't stay at the current 900Q level, as we would still be drawing from a pool in the several hundreds. I really don't think any of this will upset the balance of the game or it's economy, as I can get a random Common card in the credit portal for 10K credits.

So in short: using just the rarity polestars, the Quantum costs should be cut significantly. Then ramp them up as we use more polestars, just like what happens with the credit cost.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 17hr, 20min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1546 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • The 19 free constellations at the start gave me a false positive for enthusiasm. Now that I’ve used the few good polestars from that, it’s been mostly another blah, junk, I hate rng reaction. I’ve had horrid luck with every aspect lately. Scans never produce constellations early, always several tries at least. The polestars have been nothing but the most common of sorts. Don’t even get me started on the junk rarity constellations from the event rewards. I haven’t even managed a super rare yet, which wouldnt do me any good anyhow. If there is one thing for me that has always been a turnoff for this game it’s been the rng. This just seems to be another example. I quit spending back in December and I have found that at least when rng gives me five across the face as the norm, I can laugh it off as an expected occurrence. I was hoping for two legendary citation campaigns, the honor sale which still hangs in the balance since they can’t just post the dang date, and maybe some non rng money chasing development, to get me excited and re-engage both my attitude and spending with the game but that obviously just isn’t going to happen. I’ll just continue to grind along and chuckle at rng and be happy with free to play. Rant over.
  • Got my Quantum up and used 4 polestars for one of the cards I have been waiting on "White Rabbit"

That's going to be the next one I do after tomorrow. I've been chasing Satan's Robot forever, and hit the hologram polestar I needed the other day, so I'll retrieve him tomorrow and White Rabbit next time since I have those polestars already.