Home The Bridge
Options

Who is the most conspicuously missing crew not in STT?

Comments

• Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    Kanon wrote: »
    Since my "curzon dax Odo" blunder, I'm doubting and double checking myself, and I can only think that I'm missing something when I don't find Grand Nagus Quark in the game...

You make an excellent point about the Ferengi in general. There are presently only 22. They break down as such:
    • x8 Quark (1* at launch; 4* later in 2016; 5* in 2017; three 4* & one 5* in 2018; 5* in 2019; none last year; 5* Tribble this year)
    • x5 Nog (1* & 2* at launch; 5* in 2017 & 2018; 4* 2019)
    • x3 Rom (2* & 5* at launch; 4* in 2017)
    • 1x each: Reyga (3* at launch); Zek (5* in 2016); Neelix (4* in 2016); Pel (4* in 2017); Ishka (4* in 2018)

All are from DS9
    Eight unique characters
    8/22 are Quark
    6/22 present at launch
    5/22 are cadets (1*-3*)
    One is Grand Proxy Neelix, who isn't even a real Ferengi
    Since 2018, only Quark and Nog; since 2019, only Quark

By the years:
    2016 x9 (six of them at launch)
    2017 x4
    2018 x6
    2019 x2
    2020 x0
    2021 x1

We need those two knuckleheads from TNG who ended up in the Delta Quadrant (the episode with the not-Ferengi Neelix); DaiMon Bok; Quark's cousin Gaila; that dude Max Grodénchik played in "Captain's Holiday"...

Not sure what is going on. You left out Brunt. But you did say there were 22

Dammit. I revised that list a dozen times so it was legible. Apparently I just straight up deleted him at some point. I'd apologize but [redacted] that [reacted] [redacted]. He can go [redacted]. (Jeffrey Combs was fantastic in the role, though!)
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOWER DECKS CREW!
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    For the longest time, it seemed to be Cheesecake Seven. As a Lower Decks fan, I have to say it's Beckett Mariner. But realistically, knowing the licensing issue, I'll just say that she needs to be added when the license is obtained.

But the one that I think needs to be added and has probably been requested the longest is Cardassian Prisoner Picard, audio mandatory: There. Are. FOUR. Lights!!

Who do you all think is the most conspicuously missing crew?

Under no circumstance should any of the crew from that idiotic Lower Decks be included in this game... it's an affront to the whole idea of Star Trek. I like Rick and Morty , but it should be Rick and Morty and not skinned with Star Trek.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the longest time, it seemed to be Cheesecake Seven. As a Lower Decks fan, I have to say it's Beckett Mariner. But realistically, knowing the licensing issue, I'll just say that she needs to be added when the license is obtained.

But the one that I think needs to be added and has probably been requested the longest is Cardassian Prisoner Picard, audio mandatory: There. Are. FOUR. Lights!!

Under no circumstance should any of the crew from that idiotic Lower Decks be included in this game... it's an affront to the whole idea of Star Trek. I like Rick and Morty , but it should be Rick and Morty and not skinned with Star Trek.

I'm sorry, but why is it an affront to Star Trek?
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »

Cause troll didn’t like it. Cool thing about the show though is it’s love of the other treks and references to the things that happened in them which real people would mention. I also like that it is not the same as other treks which gives us variety to prevent burnout and brings in new viewers.

Oh, I'm obsessed with the show. It's a love letter to Trek and probably my favourite of the All Access era. I'm just always curious to see why haters are hatin'.
  • Options
    Commodore PackCommodore Pack ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

Cause troll didn’t like it. Cool thing about the show though is it’s love of the other treks and references to the things that happened in them which real people would mention. I also like that it is not the same as other treks which gives us variety to prevent burnout and brings in new viewers.

Oh, I'm obsessed with the show. It's a love letter to Trek and probably my favourite of the All Access era. I'm just always curious to see why haters are hatin'.

It is a very fun show. I don’t mind others not liking a new trek show. Everyone has different likes and dislikes and the whole point of the variety is so there is something for everyone. The thing that bothers me is not letting others enjoy it.

Yup! 🙂

It is certainly not everyone’s cup of Earl Grey Hot, but nothing ever will be.

It’s almost like Star Trek could have addressed that very point with something called...

I don’t know, how does Unlimited Differences in Unlimited Configurations sound?

You could even call it UDUC for short and sell some tacky merchandise to really get the point across.

Personally, I love Lower Decks because it wears it’s deep cut references on it’s sleeve and cracks me up.

To paraphrase Tom Hanks as Doug on SNL, if I can laugh and Trek in thirty minutes, that’s money well spent!
  • Options
    TarisTaris ✭✭✭
    Still saving dil in case this guy shows up in a Tuesday pack or something...
    0hucmypg171m.jpg
  • Options
    GitssacGitssac ✭✭✭
    Sorry if someone’s suggested this already… but we definitely need a Picard with the pilot trait.

Could either be from the episode where he slingshots the Enterprise out of the asteroid field; or the one where he pilots a shuttle leading the Enterprise out of a nebula.

Evasion would be the obvious ship ability; and he’d have a high command stat given he pulls rank on both occasions.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gitssac wrote: »
    Sorry if someone’s suggested this already… but we definitely need a Picard with the pilot trait.

Could either be from the episode where he slingshots the Enterprise out of the asteroid field; or the one where he pilots a shuttle leading the Enterprise out of a nebula.

Evasion would be the obvious ship ability; and he’d have a high command stat given he pulls rank on both occasions.

+1
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Ever noticed that just about any senior officer can pilot a complex warp vessel? I suspect a helm course is either required at the Academy or has to be completed by a certain rank, like certain qualifications in the modern military.

If they have to give orders about how it is flown, then they should be able to fly it. I suspect a lot of the piloting is just steering and pushing buttons, without needing a deep understanding of warp technology.

It is similar to driving a car, I bet few people really understand what goes on in a modern engine, they just press the pedal, and it goes.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever noticed that just about any senior officer can pilot a complex warp vessel? I suspect a helm course is either required at the Academy or has to be completed by a certain rank, like certain qualifications in the modern military.

If they have to give orders about how it is flown, then they should be able to fly it. I suspect a lot of the piloting is just steering and pushing buttons, without needing a deep understanding of warp technology.

It is similar to driving a car, I bet few people really understand what goes on in a modern engine, they just press the pedal, and it goes.

What I wonder is if the captain of an air craft carrier could control the helm on it today.
  • Options
    Lt. Palmer. And before you say "she's in already" and point me to the TNG officer, I mean the blonde TOS officer who was Uhura's relief at Communications.

Korax ("I meant to say that it should be hauled away AS garbage!")

Flint/Methuselah AND his M-4 robot. AND Rayna.

And another vote for Gary Mitchell, Elizabeth Dehner and Charlie X. (The three of whom could have made for an awesome '60's sitcom. Mitchell and Dehner marry and adopt Charlie. They get an apartment in Las Vegas. Hilarity endues!)

And what is all this about rights issues for TOS characters? Surely TV contracts of the day had clauses about "your image may be used for promotional purposes, etc., etc., etc."
  • Options
    KatlaKatla ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    I'd assume it's mostly estates not wanting to give up any rights. Maybe those families make more money keeping that stuff exclusive to just them. IDK.
    Maybe the actors still alive sell autographed photos for $200 a pop at dozens of cons a year and don't wanna mess with handing over their likeness in any way.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vorwoda wrote: »
    Lt. Palmer. And before you say "she's in already" and point me to the TNG officer, I mean the blonde TOS officer who was Uhura's relief at Communications.

Korax ("I meant to say that it should be hauled away AS garbage!")

Flint/Methuselah AND his M-4 robot. AND Rayna.

And another vote for Gary Mitchell, Elizabeth Dehner and Charlie X. (The three of whom could have made for an awesome '60's sitcom. Mitchell and Dehner marry and adopt Charlie. They get an apartment in Las Vegas. Hilarity endues!)

And what is all this about rights issues for TOS characters? Surely TV contracts of the day had clauses about "your image may be used for promotional purposes, etc., etc., etc."

Pretty sure contracts in the 1960s did not include a likeness in a mobile video game clause. TV shows in the 90s did not even include DVD/streaming rights to music when they negotiated those deals.

And I'm confident that the company negotiating these contracts now understands the license terms better than all of us. So unless you've seen the 1960s contract and the contract WRG signed with Paramount, I'm going to trust the company when they say they can't get the rights.
  • Options
    CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    By your rant you have just confirmed Lower Decks is Star Trek because every Star Trek show since TOS has been criticized for not being Star Trek enough.

Even TOS was not immune. Roddenberry himself tried to undermine the canon of parts of TOS - he even included a line to that effect in his novelisation of TMP. He regarded some episodes at the time, like The Trouble With Tribbles, as untrue to what he classified as Trek, and that only got worse as his "vision" changed over the years [whenever people cite "Roddenberry's vision", usually to support their own interpretation, I wonder - which one?]

People are free to like or dislike any series, or portion therein, but gatekeeping is unedifying.

• Options
    Most of the crew I'd like to see included are far from conspicuously missing - they're generally odd one-offs like Arctus Baran (RIP Richard Lynch) and Xindi-Primate Councilor.

But if there's one name that doesn't require a Memory Alpha link, it's the one I want the most. Andorian Mining Consortium Shran!
    Vorwoda wrote: »
    And another vote for Gary Mitchell, Elizabeth Dehner and Charlie X.
    Dehner is already in!
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    VorWoda wrote:

Nope. Each of those etc.'s would have to have been specified. Some may have been agreed to at the time; others may not. In fairness to Desilu, these were not points of consideration for shows at that time. Clearly, specific TOS actors' likenesses have been used in various forms over the years, so they and/or their estates have at times been willing to play ball. Maybe it happened when they had fallen on harder times and needed the quick cash. Maybe the licensee had a more persuasive pitch. We dunno.

If you want a dizzying rabbit hole to go down sometime, look into the '66 Batman TV series. Even now, no one has ever officially confirmed what the issues were that held up any home video distribution for decades. Only the film could be issued, because its rights were negotiated separately. Theories have abounded from conflicts between Fox and Warner, William Dozier's estate, George Barris's rights to the Batmobile design... No one involved has ever publicly explained.

Lest you think we've been more forward-thinking since those primitive days, look no further than the escalating conflicts over the distribution of profits from streaming. The last rounds of negotiations with the actors', directors', writers', and producers' guilds either failed to make accurate projections of how dominant streaming would become, or they failed to make such projections at all. Just ask Scarlett Johansson.
  • Options

Nope. Each of those etc.'s would have to have been specified. Some may have been agreed to at the time; others may not. In fairness to Desilu, these were not points of consideration for shows at that time. Clearly, specific TOS actors' likenesses have been used in various forms over the years, so they and/or their estates have at times been willing to play ball. Maybe it happened when they had fallen on harder times and needed the quick cash. Maybe the licensee had a more persuasive pitch. We dunno.

If you want a dizzying rabbit hole to go down sometime, look into the '66 Batman TV series. Even now, no one has ever officially confirmed what the issues were that held up any home video distribution for decades. Only the film could be issued, because its rights were negotiated separately. Theories have abounded from conflicts between Fox and Warner, William Dozier's estate, George Barris's rights to the Batmobile design... No one involved has ever publicly explained.

Lest you think we've been more forward-thinking since those primitive days, look no further than the escalating conflicts over the distribution of profits from streaming. The last rounds of negotiations with the actors', directors', writers', and producers' guilds either failed to make accurate projections of how dominant streaming would become, or they failed to make such projections at all. Just ask Scarlett Johansson.

Not sure how this happened, but the original query about rights was from @Vorwoda … not me!
  • Options

Not sure how this happened, but the original query about rights was from @Vorwoda … not me!

Fixed! Sorry!
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Gary Mitchell seems to be one of the top characters mentioned. Some have speculated that it may have to do with the estate not giving permission to use his likeness.

In Star Trek Fleet Command, he is in that game which probably has to go through similar licensing agreements as STT with Viacom CBS. The artwork style differs between the two games and each game has characters that poorly resemble how they appeared on screen.

Seems odd that STFC obtained the rights to him and STT can’t since both games have rights to TOS characters.

Gary-Mitchell-1536x855.jpg

• Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Gary Mitchell seems to be one of the top characters mentioned. Some have speculated that it may have to do with the estate not giving permission to use his likeness.

In Star Trek Fleet Command, he is in that game which probably has to go through similar licensing agreements as STT with Viacom CBS. The artwork style differs between the two games and each game has characters that poorly resemble how they appeared on screen.

Seems odd that STFC obtained the rights to him and STT can’t since both games have rights to TOS characters.

It's the actor's likeness that generally holds things up. Viacom would own the rights to the character (such as the character's name), while the actor or their estate would need to sign off on any media that looks like them. Seeing as STT is aiming for characters in specific situations from TV and movies, that means they want likenesses and are limited by them. Fleet Command is more heavily influenced by the Kelvin-verse, which gives them more freedom to reinvent things (and work with mostly living actors).
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1495 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    EnderW wrote: »

It's the actor's likeness that generally holds things up. Viacom would own the rights to the character (such as the character's name), while the actor or their estate would need to sign off on any media that looks like them. Seeing as STT is aiming for characters in specific situations from TV and movies, that means they want likenesses and are limited by them. Fleet Command is more heavily influenced by the Kelvin-verse, which gives them more freedom to reinvent things (and work with mostly living actors).

Initially, it was all Kelvin-verse. Now there are TOS, TNG, and Discovery crew along with several Borg. There is even a Mr Leslie and Dr M’Benga from TOS.
  • Options

Again, there's not just one rights license to secure. Honestly, I'm impressed there are as many TOS guest characters in Timelines as there are. DB and now WRG/TP have surely had to jump through some hoops for those.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    6m72jfdplash.png
    EnderW wrote: »

Gary Mitchell will be available next week so it seems something has changed recently with him now available in both games.