Home The Bridge
Options

Midweek Event Unleashed - feedback thread

Comments

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    It's a longstanding issue well before WRG took over. When you have a bunch of crew that need items you can get them from gauntlet/dabo. But as you mature as a player and have less crew you're working on you start getting unneeded items. It's annoying, but it's not a WRG conspiracy to cheat players.

Thats not what im talking about. It ised to be possible to farm specific items from gauntlet reward crates. (And also loot boxes in campaigns, they changed the code to where you could not force certain items to show up at the same time as gauntlet. Then they later removed them from campaign altogether.)

How did you farm the specific item? Did you just leave it open and count on getting it from gauntlet drops? And they removed it from campaigns because players hated it. Once you fe your crew you get garbage and it contributes to the inventory cap issues.
  • Options
    Princess_UhuraPrincess_Uhura ✭✭✭✭
    It's a longstanding issue well before WRG took over. When you have a bunch of crew that need items you can get them from gauntlet/dabo. But as you mature as a player and have less crew you're working on you start getting unneeded items. It's annoying, but it's not a WRG conspiracy to cheat players.

Thats not what im talking about. It ised to be possible to farm specific items from gauntlet reward crates. (And also loot boxes in campaigns, they changed the code to where you could not force certain items to show up at the same time as gauntlet. Then they later removed them from campaign altogether.)

How did you farm the specific item? Did you just leave it open and count on getting it from gauntlet drops? And they removed it from campaigns because players hated it. Once you fe your crew you get garbage and it contributes to the inventory cap issues.

If you had crew you were working on, you just made sure that the ones you did not want to farm were fully equipped for their level, and the one you wanted to farm had equipment needs. The equipment you wanted would come from reward crates.

And the inventory cap is a completely made up problem. It is set at 1000 to make players have to micro manage thwir inventory and increase resource drain to farm items with chrons or shuttles
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

If you had crew you were working on, you just made sure that the ones you did not want to farm were fully equipped for their level, and the one you wanted to farm had equipment needs. The equipment you wanted would come from reward crates.

And the inventory cap is a completely made up problem. It is set at 1000 to make players have to micro manage thwir inventory and increase resource drain to farm items with chrons or shuttles

This is exactly what I was talking about then. The less crew you have that needs items, the less likely you are you get them. It has nothing to do with the WRG takeover. Players have been complaining about it long before they took over.

And the 1k inventory cap was claimed to be because of old DB design issues. It again predates WRG.

I completely agree it's arbitrary and I wish it was removed. I just don't know how difficult that is to change in their code. But either way, it long predates WRG and is not part of a change they made to harm players.
  • Options

This is exactly what I was talking about then. The less crew you have that needs items, the less likely you are you get them. It has nothing to do with the WRG takeover. Players have been complaining about it long before they took over.

And the 1k inventory cap was claimed to be because of old DB design issues. It again predates WRG.

I completely agree it's arbitrary and I wish it was removed. I just don't know how difficult that is to change in their code. But either way, it long predates WRG and is not part of a change they made to harm players.

Im not sure you exactly understood how to take advantage of it then, because you could specifically target items for a particular crew, with 100% success at getting it, it was a tremendous resource savings especially for gold items
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭

You still get it from Gauntlet crates, the rare and above not that much except the Gauntlet vaults.
    And once a month I get a gold equipment from the Gauntlet vault.

• Options
    On the inventory note, im pretty sure it was wrg that implemented the 1000 cap. Ill try to look at that and find out.
  • Options
    On the inventory note, im pretty sure it was wrg that implemented the 1000 cap. Ill try to look at that and find out.

I was wrong. Change was made janiary 2020 and tp bought the game in march 2020.
  • Options
    Peets wrote: »

You still get it from Gauntlet crates, the rare and above not that much except the Gauntlet vaults.

But you cant target items like you ised to be able to do.
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    Peets wrote: »

But you cant target items like you ised to be able to do.

Ah, I understand what you mean.
    If you leave one crew open, you'll get that item and not a random other item.
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    That’s the last one. Just reading your comments is exhausting. I can’t imagine being you. So this is goodbye.

Having 4 people “
    Shan wrote: »

The inventory cap has been there for almost as long as the game, it was implemented soon after release due to issues. This was however not surfaced properly to players, which was addressed much later on.

Most players took a long time to hit that cap. I believe that warnings for the cap didn’t hit until 2020.
  • Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    Navarch wrote: »
    That’s the last one. Just reading your comments is exhausting. I can’t imagine being you. So this is goodbye.

Having 4 people “

The inventory cap has been there for almost as long as the game, it was implemented soon after release due to issues. This was however not surfaced properly to players, which was addressed much later on.

Most players took a long time to hit that cap. I believe that warnings for the cap didn’t hit until 2020.

The warnings were implemented in 2020. The cap itself existed long before that, you just didn't get any warnings about it.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaosChild wrote: »

Having 4 people “

The warnings were implemented in 2020. The cap itself existed long before that, you just didn't get any warnings about it.

Yep. Players used to have items disappear from their inventory without why warning. Then they'd complain about it and need to submit CS tickets. Now they at least get an in game warning before the hit the limit so they can clear items.
  • Options

Having 4 people “

Yep. Players used to have items disappear from their inventory without why warning. Then they'd complain about it and need to submit CS tickets. Now they at least get an in game warning before the hit the limit so they can clear items.

Yeah i just dont believe that there are really any issues with having inventories in excess of 1000 though.

There dosnt seem to be a problem with cryostasis vault capacity needing to constantly be increased.

Or for some people i know who have thousands of game messages containing freebies that they havent cashed in
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

Having 4 people “

Yeah i just dont believe that there are really any issues with having inventories in excess of 1000 though.

There dosnt seem to be a problem with cryostasis vault capacity needing to constantly be increased.

Or for some people i know who have thousands of game messages containing freebies that they havent cashed in

Unless the DB is standardized (which frankly none ever are) DB changes are a pain in the !#!@. Depending on how many places the "cap" exists and how many tables it may be stored it it could be a major nightmare to ever change it which is probably why it was easier to add a waring to manage it. and frankly its easy to stay under with the tools now. Annoying, yes, but easy enough. At my company we've had a request to change the size of the city field for almost as long as Ive been there (over 20 years) but no one wants to spend the time or money to do the change with how wide spread it would be. We estimated it at over 1500 hours or a cost of about $225,000 which no one wants to pay. and that was back then. Today it would be about double that. Time and money better spend in other places. and that was just 1 field. Its crazy how widespread some of these database issues can be if its wasn't designed and built proper initially and frankly it never is because it costs too much to do it that way from the start.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    cmdrworf wrote: »

Having 4 people “

Unless the DB is standardized (which frankly none ever are) DB changes are a pain in the !#!@. Depending on how many places the "cap" exists and how many tables it may be stored it it could be a major nightmare to ever change it which is probably why it was easier to add a waring to manage it. and frankly its easy to stay under with the tools now. Annoying, yes, but easy enough. At my company we've had a request to change the size of the city field for almost as long as Ive been there (over 20 years) but no one wants to spend the time or money to do the change with how wide spread it would be. We estimated it at over 1500 hours or a cost of about $225,000 which no one wants to pay. and that was back then. Today it would be about double that. Time and money better spend in other places. and that was just 1 field. Its crazy how widespread some of these database issues can be if its wasn't designed and built proper initially and frankly it never is because it costs too much to do it that way from the start.

And to add to that, the cryo vault was created to solve the issue of crew slots. We were told at the time that crew slots couldn't be unlimited/drastically increased because of performance issues. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but assuming it's true, the cryo vault was built to handle an ever growing amount of crew, so I'm not surprised it can handle it. And I wouldn't compare a newer feature built to scale with an original feature(inventory) that wasn't designed to scale.

Tech Debt is real. And we've been told that the game was built on an old system with a lot of problems. If it was built from scratch today I'm sure a lot of things would be different. But when a company needs to decide how to allocate resources, sometimes that bad decision from 6 years ago with a known workaround sticks around because the choice is either to fix that or to build the new feature. I'm sure if you asked everyone here would they rather have Boss Battles or an unlimited inventory cap the answer would be Boss Battles. So as a result we still have to deal with the inventory cap.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankly, I'm shocked I'm over half way to finishing Gauntlet already. I'm very surprised and I forgot I had Union Q.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankly, I'm shocked I'm over half way to finishing Gauntlet already. I'm very surprised and I forgot I had Union Q.

I actually finished the Objective Event the last run through the Gauntlet. Surprised RNG was actually pretty friendly today!

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    I entered the Gauntlet that started yesterday because its bonus pool was relatively small (ENG, Desperate, Saboteur, Marksman). I didn't begin playing until the midweek event started, though. I was able to get 25 wins from two sittings. Had I remembered earlier, I could easily have gotten in a third go at it.

Also, let the record show that the one that just started is MED, Romantic, Geneticist, Augments. That doesn't favor any of the jackpot crew. Or much of anyone, really. As best I can tell, there's only one crew member in the entire game with a 45% crit chance: 4* Young Khan.
  • Options
    I entered the Gauntlet that started yesterday because its bonus pool was relatively small (ENG, Desperate, Saboteur, Marksman). I didn't begin playing until the midweek event started, though. I was able to get 25 wins from two sittings. Had I remembered earlier, I could easily have gotten in a third go at it.

Also, let the record show that the one that just started is MED, Romantic, Geneticist, Augments. That doesn't favor any of the jackpot crew. Or much of anyone, really. As best I can tell, there's only one crew member in the entire game with a 45% crit chance: 4* Young Khan.

I looked at that combo and I was like "Who even hits that combo?"

Maybe people will be able to avoid walls and finish easily.
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked at that combo and I was like "Who even hits that combo?"

Maybe people will be able to avoid walls and finish easily.

That would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    I'm 31/45 for Gauntlet and will probably finish the other two remaining tasks in about five minutes. Very much in shock and a little nervous. I don't get lucky. I cracked a hard hat insert in a hotel lobby and set myself on fire at church.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    I'm 31/45 for Gauntlet and will probably finish the other two remaining tasks in about five minutes. Very much in shock and a little nervous. I don't get lucky. I cracked a hard hat insert in a hotel lobby and set myself on fire at church.

What did God see you do?!?!?
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it is getting harder to encounter low level ships in the Admiral Division Arena battles. My lowest ones are now a 6 Gomtu and 7 BoP and Hiawatha. I lost 2 battles with a 10 Scimitar against 7 Gomtus and ended up having to pay for 150 dil to complete the task.

Until there is another portal update with new ships with the same task in the Arena battles, each week will get progressively harder even with people tanking for others.

Time to mix up the mid-week OEs with some different challenges.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it is getting harder to encounter low level ships in the Admiral Division Arena battles. My lowest ones are now a 6 Gomtu and 7 BoP and Hiawatha. I lost 2 battles with a 10 Scimitar against 7 Gomtus and ended up having to pay for 150 dil to complete the task.

Until there is another portal update with new ships with the same task in the Arena battles, each week will get progressively harder even with people tanking for others.

I have had to use the refresh button much more lately to find lower-level ships, but it is still possible to find enough Level-1 or -2 ships to succeed 18/20 battles.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps turn on the game *after* the services?
  • Options

I'm the A/V tech. It's during.😁
    Seriously, we had a work day and were wearing old clothes. I had on a pair of old sweat pants, that had paint thinner on them. There was a cookout after...there was a bonfire...I'd like to say that was the only time my clothes have been on fire...but I won't lie.
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously, we had a work day and were wearing old clothes. I had on a pair of old sweat pants, that had paint thinner on them. There was a cookout after...there was a bonfire...I'd like to say that was the only time my clothes have been on fire...but I won't lie.

Worried your pants will catch on fire…again?😂
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭

While I've seen this too, with fewer lower level ships, I'm also seeing a wonderfully target-rich-environment of ISS Enterprises. I've even automated most of my battles and was 20 for 20 this week.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options

Worried your pants will catch on fire…again?😂

I won't rule it out. I'm a klutz, plus my relatives let small children handle sparklers. That's how nylon shorts got melted to my leg. A little cousin fell on me with one.
    I've also been on the receiving end of a lightning ground strike and locked myself in the truck of a moving car.

41/45 for Gauntlet. Crossing fingers that the electric doesn't go out again.