Home The Bridge
Options

Now there is a STT Store

Comments

• Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Well what this has done is made this a game for the whales. You will have the folks who have funds, and then the folks who don't. The have win the game so to say as in have it all, and the folks who can't compete. They have built a wall that the f2p folks and ones who are not wales that they will not be able to get over, and when you do that you cut you player base back. That is the real problem.

That has been the design of this game from day one. I'm not crazy about P2W but it's always been here. This new store does nothing to change that. If a player wants to spend $500 to compete in an event they will spend that either in game or on this new store. And the players that don't want to spend the money will be at a disadvantage. But in exchange, that f2p player gets to play a game for free that would otherwise have cost money. This new store does nothing beyond put in your face the dollar amounts that other players have already been paying.

How were players able to purchase 60,000 chronitons at one time prior to the store? Or, even 10,000 at a time? Or in a single day?

Have you seriously looked at the price of 60 kchrons?

No player in their right mind will buy that, especially for one event. If a player really wants the gold card, it would be cheaper to buy packs, or even the card from the portal.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Well what this has done is made this a game for the whales. You will have the folks who have funds, and then the folks who don't. The have win the game so to say as in have it all, and the folks who can't compete. They have built a wall that the f2p folks and ones who are not wales that they will not be able to get over, and when you do that you cut you player base back. That is the real problem.

That has been the design of this game from day one. I'm not crazy about P2W but it's always been here. This new store does nothing to change that. If a player wants to spend $500 to compete in an event they will spend that either in game or on this new store. And the players that don't want to spend the money will be at a disadvantage. But in exchange, that f2p player gets to play a game for free that would otherwise have cost money. This new store does nothing beyond put in your face the dollar amounts that other players have already been paying.

How were players able to purchase 60,000 chronitons at one time prior to the store? Or, even 10,000 at a time? Or in a single day?

Is Dilithium purchases limited? The only way I can think of once you are out of offers would be to buy a buttload {136 gallons} of Dilithium, then buy Chronitons 120 at a time from the "+" on the Chroniton Tab. But, now that I look, you can only buy 1680 {IF my maths is correct} Chronitons that way per day.

And, my maths is not correct. 1920 per day cap.

9pdrxfn67wbe.jpg

I sincerely do not know of a way in the game to get anywhere near 60000+ Chronitons.

But, now it is possible in the Store with one purchase.

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Princess_UhuraPrincess_Uhura ✭✭✭✭

No player in their right mind will buy that, especially for one event. If a player really wants the gold card, it would be cheaper to buy packs, or even the card from the portal.

People have spent far more on way more absurd things. It wasnt an option before. And now it is.
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    177 people have won an event in this game. You do anything to win an event (including buying Olay to get Dil lol). After that rank it becomes more standard methods of winning and people are just playing, not paying. Someone won't pay $500 for 30th place so this won't impact people unless your going for the win.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Navarch wrote: »

How many people who tap or plan to tap for 50+ hours in an event are in their right minds?

Some people will do what it takes to win. Spending 60000 chrons is still time consuming. Like it may potentially take 10 hours just to spend all the intel you got from that purchase. With a kit that should net 720000 Intel (ie 600 rounds). I think it takes me a minute to clear all 5 battles. Maybe less. Then there's all the bonus intel and bonus chrons on top of that. Which still need to be spent.

A purchase of this size allows you to be repetitive. Like spend 50 hours per event playing. And then do it again next time the event's up. Which is fine if you want to do it. This still isn't a purchase that allows you to save time.

A galaxy isn't much better. Even a faction event still requires a lot of coordination to be run 12 or more shuttles constantly.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    177 people have won an event in this game. You do anything to win an event (including buying Olay to get Dil lol). After that rank it becomes more standard methods of winning and people are just playing, not paying. Someone won't pay $500 for 30th place so this won't impact people unless your going for the win.
    Off-topic, kind of: Of those 177* players, 117 won 1 event and the remainder have won 2 or more.

qcoc5xild0qf.jpeg
    * I am not sure where the discrepancy is arising for the number of winners. Same thing for the number of events, as the Wiki, DataCore & Big Book all produce different totals. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options

Its not just the $500 offer. Think about it this way, you are a low to medium level spenders and you are in a skirmish going for a new card you want. You have 10,000 chrons left. Its competitive. You need to spend more chrons to hold rank and get the card you want, but you want to have enough in the tank for another card you want in next weeks event. You can either give up on one of them, or keep pushing and supplement with 5 or 10000 chrons during or after the event, or each day until the next event or from now until forever every day at every meal. There is no limit to chroniton purchases anymore. The implications will be more widespread than the one or two people that buy the $500 offer. The issue is there is no longer a limit on chron purchases at all.
  • Options
    Interesting, I just sorted big book for all the winners and was actually surprised it was that many.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Its not just the $500 offer. Think about it this way, you are a low to medium level spenders and you are in a skirmish going for a new card you want. You have 10,000 chrons left. Its competitive. You need to spend more chrons to hold rank and get the card you want, but you want to have enough in the tank for another card you want in next weeks event. You can either give up on one of them, or keep pushing and supplement with 5 or 10000 chrons during or after the event, or each day until the next event or from now until forever every day at every meal. There is no limit to chroniton purchases anymore. The implications will be more widespread than the one or two people that buy the $500 offer. The issue is there is no longer a limit on chron purchases at all.

Or buy an event pack for $50 and get your gold next week. Ultimately the main place you get chrons is from the $50 offer pack that comes up from time to time with 4500 chrons (and tons of other things like packs or Dil). 18,000 chrons guarantee's me for top 100 in a skirmish. That already takes a lot of time (and you build enough to finish 100 in the next galaxy).

The store is useless and you already save a lot of money going through other methods such as Amazon. I've gotten messages that people have gotten one or two $10 chron ones in the past, and that's cool. But if people want to spend and get 5 or 7 now, I can finish 101 lol.

The store's only value is if any special offers pop up that are must haves and not in game. Haven't seen any yet.
  • Options

Or buy an event pack for $50 and get your gold next week. Ultimately the main place you get chrons is from the $50 offer pack that comes up from time to time with 4500 chrons (and tons of other things like packs or Dil). 18,000 chrons guarantee's me for top 100 in a skirmish. That already takes a lot of time (and you build enough to finish 100 in the next galaxy).

The store is useless and you already save a lot of money going through other methods such as Amazon. I've gotten messages that people have gotten one or two $10 chron ones in the past, and that's cool. But if people want to spend and get 5 or 7 now, I can finish 101 lol.

The store's only value is if any special offers pop up that are must haves and not in game. Haven't seen any yet.

Yeah, but, do yoi think the people that have gotten rank 1 multiple times did so exclusively for the gold card? Or do you think there was something about being #1 that drove them?

• Options
    -:- AZ689-:- AZ689 ✭✭✭
    Why offering 60k chrons for $500?
    Just offer 10M VP for $500 and save the mindless grinding.
  • Options

Yeah, but, do yoi think the people that have gotten rank 1 multiple times did so exclusively for the gold card? Or do you think there was something about being #1 that drove them?

I've finished first, I wouldnt buy $500 in chrons. If people are saying the store will kill first place, it's already killed for most players except the few that have done it. But no, the store will not impact the players here that are concerned.

This game like all mobile games allows you to win for money. Nothing wrong with that and you take pride in what you can do with what you have. Don't worry about if someone will ever buy that offer or make multiple purchases. They already do for other offers and it is easy to save up.
  • Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly nitpicking here, but in a skirmish 60K chrons is good for about 4M VP (assuming you've got a supply kit going when you spend it). Probably about 5M-6M, once you've accounted for bonus VP and chrons from battle rewards. Pointless hyperbole doesn't help you get your point across.
  • Options
    ChaosChild wrote: »

Possibly nitpicking here, but in a skirmish 60K chrons is good for about 4M VP (assuming you've got a supply kit going when you spend it). Probably about 5M-6M, once you've accounted for bonus VP and chrons from battle rewards. Pointless hyperbole doesn't help you get your point across.

Pointless hyperbole is a bit harsh, wouldnt you say? It seems a reasonable enough question. If pay to win is just a part of the game, as most people in this thread have made clear, then why keep up the false pretense? Why not just offer weekly “reward” packages based off of how much you can outbid your opponents?

• Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Webberoni wrote: »
    First, it’s not like paying to win is anything new in the game… Players could buy chrons before, shuttle tokens, more dilithium for whatever was needed. If someone wants to blow big cheddar on chrons, or anything else for that matter, let them.

Yes, that is all true.

However, there is no longer a limit to the amount of chrons you can buy. In the past it was limited by the offer it was in, or by increasing costs. Now there is no limit, and chrons can be purchased in bulk at any time. Its a bad move for f2p and cheap-to-play

Money keeps the game running.
    Without money/revenue, no game to play for everyone,
    no matter if for F2P players or others.

So if anyone is as „crazy“ to spend such amounts for just a couple chrons,
    let them. I have zero issues with it.

I dont think you understand. Its not just the 500 offer, its all of them. You can now tap out completely on chrons and recharge immediately.

Even with infinite chrons, there comes a point when the number of chrons is less important than the ability to dedicate time and effort to use them. Your argument is a bit of a moot point, no matter how many posts you respond to in order to say the same thing.

I think what i am arguing for is against any move that takes us closer to “infinite chrons” the events are already boring grinds.

You keep suggesting that selling chrons creates more of a pay-to-win scenario, while failing to acknowledge the counter-point that chrons aren't as significant an issue as you want to make them out to be.

Or is your real gripe the amount of grinding that it takes to win or rank high in events? I believe there are many veteran players with huge amounts of chrons that could grind away whenever they want without needing to purchase additional chrons. Galaxy and skirmish events will always ultimately come down to who is willing to spend the most time grinding, and that effort should absolutely be rewarded.

As others have said, if it's the rewards you are concerned about, you can simply spend dil or money to buy the new crew without having to grind at all. It doesn't take a ton of effort, once you've built a decent enough stockpile of in-game resources, to place in the top 1500 of any event. I don't expect the larger offers in the online store to have much of an impact on that 5* crew threshold.
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭

Pointless hyperbole is a bit harsh, wouldnt you say? It seems a reasonable enough question. If pay to win is just a part of the game, as most people in this thread have made clear, then why keep up the false pretense? Why not just offer weekly “reward” packages based off of how much you can outbid your opponents?

That is significant hyperbole and basically rhetorical (as is known by asking about just skipping the grind). Clearly, buying points outright isn’t the same as buying chrons and then having to click through the game to gain those points. We have people now earning 20 million victory points in those events without having the ability to buy 60k chrons.

I think about the time it takes to get to those points now without the ability to buy those chrons (which some winners have already done) 20 million points in a skirmish is roughly 3,300 sets. So, if my math is correct, that’s 825 runs per day. At a minute a run, that’s almost 14 hours of playing per day. Granted, I’m not taking any bonus points into account, but it’s still a pant load of playing time. At least for me, it makes these arguments a moot point, as I am never going to play that much ever to win an event. I’ve had top 20 and top 10 finishes, but do not care to play that much for #1. I have to wonder if much of the player base wants to spend that much time either?

Could it make it harder to rank in events? Yes. Could it place F2P at a disadvantage? Yes. I am wondering to what degree that impact will be, and we won’t truly know until we see some events with this option available.

“A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options

Could it make it harder to rank in events? Yes. Could it place F2P at a disadvantage? Yes. I am wondering to what degree that impact will be, and we won’t truly know until we see some events with this option available.

This is the crux of what i am saying. Either of these coming to fruition, which they will, is a bad thing.

Obviously i know you have to put in the time to spend the chrons in these events, but if you think about what your roster was like when you were first able to start placing in some events, chrons were always the limiting factor. Balancing roster development with placing in events was a significant challenge, even if you bought some of the combo offers to supplement chrons. There was always a finite amount of chrons you could generate, whether by purchase or by saving steategies. That is gone now.

You can argue that there are plenty of people who have 100’s of thousands of chrons and dont spend them all, but you are not acknowlefing the chron starved.

Either way it makes no difference talking to you about it. Wrg is gonna wrg. Im just pointing out whats happening.

• Options
    First, it’s not like paying to win is anything new in the game… Players could buy chrons before, shuttle tokens, more dilithium for whatever was needed. If someone wants to blow big cheddar on chrons, or anything else for that matter, let them.

Yes, that is all true.

However, there is no longer a limit to the amount of chrons you can buy. In the past it was limited by the offer it was in, or by increasing costs. Now there is no limit, and chrons can be purchased in bulk at any time. Its a bad move for f2p and cheap-to-play

Well said! There is a difference between people being able to buy the 1250 Pack ten total times {five each phase} versus being able to get four or five times as much multiple times to stock up.

I know everyone keeps saying Skirmish is a grind and that people won't be able to do it all day. However, what I did this time was binge a re-watch of "Black Mirror" on NetFlix. And anyone who has done the whole thing knows it can get cumbersome in between episodes, since it does not do the natural "next episode" thing like every single other series on NetFlix. So, I was watching episodes of an intriguing show, while hitting buttons. Time flew by. {And the poor interface NetFlix has this one series gave me "downtime" at regular intervals to take a break.}

So, someone can possibly used 60000+ "extra" Chronitons to advance in a Galaxy or Skirmish.

I hate to keep sharing this sentiment, but this game looks to be slipping ever closer to the "Pay to even have a chance to compete" paradigm of Battle Pirates. And no one wants that, trust me.

The same people will most likely keep spending. There is no limit for faction events now. Anyone can buy a crap ton of dilithium and just auto shuttles. Most of us already have a lot of chrons saved up (I’m at 183k) for galaxy or skirmish events. A problem in the game is stagnation and how everyone who’s played any length of time, just seems to be in a holding pattern saving up more resources than they use. I’m more concerned about a lack of players than someone “buying” a win. As it sits now, I have less and less motivation to play. I can remember back in the day and starting to rank in an event and being around 40k in number. This last event I waited two days to play and my first points put me at 20k. We need players to keep a game going. If paying helps do that, 👌. At the same time, I wish WRG would do more to break the repetition in the game. Just my two cents, take it or leave it.

I agree with this sentiment. The only additional view i have is that wrg seems to be more interested in maximizing revenue from a declining set of players than they are about keeping current players or recruiting new ones, ideally by introducing fun, engagimg and deep new features to gameplay, and also working to resolve known issues and bugs.

"New Players" you say? Unfortunately this is how Timelines ads appear on other games.....

zb9nr8rys64r.jpg

Trying to sweet talk players who quit back instead of wooing new players.

That is a truly baffling quintet to use for promotion.

I focused so much on their ads in other games being geared towards "come back" instead of "come try our cool Star Trek game" that I never even paid attention to the Crew they used in the pic!

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

This is the crux of what i am saying. Either of these coming to fruition, which they will, is a bad thing.

Obviously i know you have to put in the time to spend the chrons in these events, but if you think about what your roster was like when you were first able to start placing in some events, chrons were always the limiting factor. Balancing roster development with placing in events was a significant challenge, even if you bought some of the combo offers to supplement chrons. There was always a finite amount of chrons you could generate, whether by purchase or by saving steategies. That is gone now.

You can argue that there are plenty of people who have 100’s of thousands of chrons and dont spend them all, but you are not acknowlefing the chron starved.

Either way it makes no difference talking to you about it. Wrg is gonna wrg. Im just pointing out whats happening.

I think everyone gets it. And everyone has to start somewhere. People don’t win events or compete well at the start. But you’re right, it really makes no difference us droning on about it until we actually see the outcomes. Otherwise, it’s just faulty postulation.

Yes, that is all true.

Well said! There is a difference between people being able to buy the 1250 Pack ten total times {five each phase} versus being able to get four or five times as much multiple times to stock up.

I know everyone keeps saying Skirmish is a grind and that people won't be able to do it all day. However, what I did this time was binge a re-watch of "Black Mirror" on NetFlix. And anyone who has done the whole thing knows it can get cumbersome in between episodes, since it does not do the natural "next episode" thing like every single other series on NetFlix. So, I was watching episodes of an intriguing show, while hitting buttons. Time flew by. {And the poor interface NetFlix has this one series gave me "downtime" at regular intervals to take a break.}

So, someone can possibly used 60000+ "extra" Chronitons to advance in a Galaxy or Skirmish.

I hate to keep sharing this sentiment, but this game looks to be slipping ever closer to the "Pay to even have a chance to compete" paradigm of Battle Pirates. And no one wants that, trust me.

The same people will most likely keep spending. There is no limit for faction events now. Anyone can buy a crap ton of dilithium and just auto shuttles. Most of us already have a lot of chrons saved up (I’m at 183k) for galaxy or skirmish events. A problem in the game is stagnation and how everyone who’s played any length of time, just seems to be in a holding pattern saving up more resources than they use. I’m more concerned about a lack of players than someone “buying” a win. As it sits now, I have less and less motivation to play. I can remember back in the day and starting to rank in an event and being around 40k in number. This last event I waited two days to play and my first points put me at 20k. We need players to keep a game going. If paying helps do that, 👌. At the same time, I wish WRG would do more to break the repetition in the game. Just my two cents, take it or leave it.

I agree with this sentiment. The only additional view i have is that wrg seems to be more interested in maximizing revenue from a declining set of players than they are about keeping current players or recruiting new ones, ideally by introducing fun, engagimg and deep new features to gameplay, and also working to resolve known issues and bugs.

"New Players" you say? Unfortunately this is how Timelines ads appear on other games.....

zb9nr8rys64r.jpg

I focused so much on their ads in other games being geared towards "come back" instead of "come try our cool Star Trek game" that I never even paid attention to the Crew they used in the pic!

Right! Where are the come try our cool game offers to pull in new players?

“A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

I think everyone gets it. And everyone has to start somewhere. People don’t win events or compete well at the start. But you’re right, it really makes no difference us droning on about it until we actually see the outcomes. Otherwise, it’s just faulty postulation.

Yes, that is all true.

zb9nr8rys64r.jpg

Right! Where are the come try our cool game offers to pull in new players?

Maybe they have reason to suspect there's a major Jane Wyatt revival movement about to break out any day now?
  • Options
    MicrohopperMicrohopper ✭✭✭✭

Because that wouldn't help their player engagement statistics, which probably helps ad revenue, etc.
  • Options
    CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

zb9nr8rys64r.jpg

Still better than the ads for other games which I get spammed with in ad warps. They either show things which have no resemblance to the actual gameplay or pretend that you'll get stacks of real-world money by playing. Who falls for this stuff?
  • Options
    Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

It would be about 11m VP.

It's pretty clear who here has and hasn't ranked near the top of events. Time is part of the equation, but having the ability to reload a bank in galaxy or skirmish on demand is a huuuge asset. There are times when I've throttled back because I only had "just enough" to win in my estimation or because I was saving for a future event and that may have encouraged competition.

It also puts even more emphasis on automation. If resources aren't part of the equation, how does one maximize their grinding uptime?

I've heard 4+ digit dollar amounts from event winners who were competing against someone else. It may not affect ranks 6 through 50,000, but it's inarguably unhealthy for the game and just another avenue where WRG is making the game worse (gauntlet too) in exchange for a few more bucks from the players. There's no good outcome for the player in the short term. Either winning f2p is harder and you lose to someone's wallet or you win and get accused of cheating/buying the victory.
  • Options

It would be about 11m VP.

It's pretty clear who here has and hasn't ranked near the top of events. Time is part of the equation, but having the ability to reload a bank in galaxy or skirmish on demand is a huuuge asset. There are times when I've throttled back because I only had "just enough" to win in my estimation or because I was saving for a future event and that may have encouraged competition.

It also puts even more emphasis on automation. If resources aren't part of the equation, how does one maximize their grinding uptime?

I've heard 4+ digit dollar amounts from event winners who were competing against someone else. It may not affect ranks 6 through 50,000, but it's inarguably unhealthy for the game and just another avenue where WRG is making the game worse (gauntlet too) in exchange for a few more bucks from the players. There's no good outcome for the player in the short term. Either winning f2p is harder and you lose to someone's wallet or you win and get accused of cheating/buying the victory.

Excellent points.
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    The value of mass quantities of chronitons and how competitive the pricing of the store is versus other retailers aside, I can't shake this disappointing first impression that the store isn't intended to court players in my spending bracket. Like most people, my discretionary budget has dwindled considerably of late. They wanted to make a splash with the Elusive Treasures, and I get that. And of course, there's no reason whatsoever to think they won't make offers that will appeal to me later. This is only the first week, after all.

One thing that I keep coming back to, though, is that there's only an offer for the Ultimate Campaign track and not the Premium. Elusive Treasures will be gone in a few days, but the Campaign runs for another three weeks. The more I've thought it over, that's what sends the clearest message to me that players like me who can only rationalize the occasional ~$10-15 indulgence aren't all that important to WRG.

Making your customers feel like they aren’t wanted is a bold strategy. I can’t imagine that it works out well in the long term.

• Options
    Navarch wrote: »
    The value of mass quantities of chronitons and how competitive the pricing of the store is versus other retailers aside, I can't shake this disappointing first impression that the store isn't intended to court players in my spending bracket. Like most people, my discretionary budget has dwindled considerably of late. They wanted to make a splash with the Elusive Treasures, and I get that. And of course, there's no reason whatsoever to think they won't make offers that will appeal to me later. This is only the first week, after all.

One thing that I keep coming back to, though, is that there's only an offer for the Ultimate Campaign track and not the Premium. Elusive Treasures will be gone in a few days, but the Campaign runs for another three weeks. The more I've thought it over, that's what sends the clearest message to me that players like me who can only rationalize the occasional ~$10-15 indulgence aren't all that important to WRG.

Making your customers feel like they aren’t wanted is a bold strategy. I can’t imagine that it works out well in the long term.

q00sybe7pd2y.gif