Home The Bridge

Key information about this week’s event: Founders At War - 02/22

Comments

• The Star Trek universe gets the whole interbreeding very wrong. It is exceedingly unlikely Humans, Vulcans and Klingons can interbreed. They've been evolving on separate lines for too long. Conceivably genetics has improved to the point where a hybrid is relatively straightforward but a natural birth would be out of the question.

Of course it gets it wrong, it's fiction.

Also, something, something, that terrible episode The Chase.
  • @Shan Is all the discovery crew also bonus crew for this final event?

I would like to freeze some people as over my crew slots.

Thanks.
  • Pepex82 wrote: »
    @Shan Is all the discovery crew also bonus crew for this final event?

I would like to freeze some people as over my crew slots.

Thanks.

Yes. They are. They are bonus crew for all 4 events in the Mega Event.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Yes, but with it being a straight Galaxy you don't really need that many bonus crew.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magisse wrote: »
    Yes, but with it being a straight Galaxy you don't really need that many bonus crew.

True that.... its funny, if this past one hadn't been hybrid, I would not have even bothered leveling some of these characters now.
  • Perhaps Porthos would prefer being called a Terran. Is there a Mirror Porthos?
  • Cmdr Worf's HeadCmdr Worf's Head ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Ice Man wrote: »
    Perhaps Porthos would prefer being called a Terran. Is there a Mirror Porthos?

Yes. He was a rottweiler.
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Porthos_(mirror)
    Sisko: What are you gonna learn in the next few months that you haven't already learned in the last 300 years?
    Ezri Dax: Oh, how to keep from breaking into tears for no reason...
  • aaaaaaand the reason there's not a Dominion / DS9 crewman in this event is becaaaaaause?

I'm sorry, but not all of us have a Changling Founder. Can you please not return to some of the original 5* crew for those of us who don't have a Locutus, or Changling Founder, or Lt Commander La Forge . . .
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Captain TJ wrote: »
    aaaaaaand the reason there's not a Dominion / DS9 crewman in this event is becaaaaaause?

I'm sorry, but not all of us have a Changling Founder. Can you please not return to some of the original 5* crew for those of us who don't have a Locutus, or Changling Founder, or Lt Commander La Forge . . .

By "Founders" DB meant the founders of the federation, the humans, vulcans, andorians, and tellarites. But yes many of us were confused by that as "Founders" almost always means changlings.
    Let’s fly!
  • 1 repeat character (Commando Shran) against 18 new event characters across seven consecutive events.

I’m not sure how you’re counting, but it’s worse than this. Including next week’s event as one of the seven there are 21 event crew plus one mega event crew of which Commando Shran is the only existing character. So that would be 21 new and 1 existing.

Of course, that doesn’t take into account the four new non event crew also added as threshold or ranked rewards, and the possibility that there are new crew added as rewards next week.

Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    http://tenforwardloungers.freecluster.eu
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 repeat character (Commando Shran) against 18 new event characters across seven consecutive events.

I’m not sure how you’re counting, but it’s worse than this. Including next week’s event as one of the seven there are 21 event crew plus one mega event crew of which Commando Shran is the only existing character. So that would be 21 new and 1 existing.

Of course, that doesn’t take into account the four new non event crew also added as threshold or ranked rewards, and the possibility that there are new crew added as rewards next week.

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Events

Yup, looks like I left off one week counting.

January 11: Infinite Contentions
    Mariahi Q
    Tourist Quark
    Graduation Michael Burnham

January 18: We Who Are To Die
    Gladiator McCoy
    Duelist Yar
    Tsunkatse SEven

January 25: Laws of Nature
    Protomorphosis Barclay
    Mother Horta
    Dr. Gillian Taylor

February 1: Crashing the Party
    Dress Uniform Scotty
    Celebratory Ash Tyler
    Lieutenant Tarrah
    Prisoner Katrina Cornwell

February 8: The Honor of Andoria
    Away Team Saru
    Commander Thelin
    Commando Shran (REPEAT)

February 15: The Vulcan Response
    Suus Mahna Sarek
    Ambassador Shras
    Prospect Michael Murnham

February 22: Founders at War
    Lissan
    Time Loop Mudd
    Commander Ellen Landry
  • SiblinSiblin ✭✭✭
    Also depends on whether “Andorian” is analogous to “human” or “earthling”. Take Xindi for example, each of those species are seperate species but all considered xindi

Then again shinzon is human and reman but not Romulan where as Viceroy is reman and Romulan, so I think the logic is iffy at best!
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do we always get imposter Harry Mudd instead of the real one, Roger C. Carmel?

They actually answered that once. The actor is dead and approval for his image is not available.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do we always get imposter Harry Mudd instead of the real one, Roger C. Carmel?

They actually answered that once. The actor is dead and approval for his image is not available.

It could be that his descendants/family retain the rights to use of his image and DB can't track them down, but I would imagine it might be a different scenario. I was just reading an article the other day about a guy who has secured the rights to many, many dead celebrities, and makes his money taking a cut of licensing for them. In which case, it could be that the fees are too high for DB to consider it.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • edited February 2018
    YAY Rekha Sharma! (Landry)
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Grant77 wrote: »
    RennJaxo wrote: »
    So why is this event called Founders at War?

My assumption is because it features the Vulcans and the Andorians, two of the Federation's founders.

There are no Vulcans or Andorians in this event.

Aenar ARE Andorians.

As are:

Shran
    Tarah
    Shras

Scott

That is not correct. They are a subspecies native to the same planet.

In the context of this discussion, they played no part in the founding of the Federation, as they were pacifists. It's not even clear if they are members of the Federation in the future.

"Andorian" = "From the Moon Andoria".......

Scott

So by your incredibly unintelligent logic, Porthos is Human and targs are Klingon?? lol!

Well that would mean Porthos is an Earther techincally, lol.

That's the problem with a race and a planet having the same name.

Klingons are not Q'o'nosers, we don't call Picard an Earther, etc. but we call Vulcan's after their planet etc.

(And damnit, it is Q'o'nos. Not Kronos. Kronos is Zues's Dad.)

Comment moderated. ˜Shan

Scott

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

My assumption is because it features the Vulcans and the Andorians, two of the Federation's founders.

Aenar ARE Andorians.

As are:

Shran
    Tarah
    Shras

Scott

In the context of this discussion, they played no part in the founding of the Federation, as they were pacifists. It's not even clear if they are members of the Federation in the future.

Scott

So by your incredibly unintelligent logic, Porthos is Human and targs are Klingon?? lol!

Klingons are not Q'o'nosers, we don't call Picard an Earther, etc. but we call Vulcan's after their planet etc.

Comment moderated. ˜Shan

Scott

This comment is racist and unacceptable. Please delete it now.

I did not say anything like that and I'm troubled that you would make that leap from a conversation about fictional aliens.
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Omg the closest analogy are Neanderthals who were even more intelligent than us.

If somehow they find Neanderthals in underground cities on Earth were they would be considered Human or not?
  • I’m not sure why people are arguing about this. Aenar are Andorians. Shran specifically says on screen they are a subspecies of Andorians. They may have differing characteristics (e.g., skin color), but they are not an independent species.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The Star Trek universe gets the whole interbreeding very wrong. It is exceedingly unlikely Humans, Vulcans and Klingons can interbreed. They've been evolving on separate lines for too long. Conceivably genetics has improved to the point where a hybrid is relatively straightforward but a natural birth would be out of the question.

On the other hand, the Andorians and Aenar look almost identical and probably only separated relatively recently so are likely classified as the same species, sub-species at most.

What you say holds true for humans and Neanderthals. They would look as much a like to Andorians. And Andorians would make the same comment about humans and Neanderthals.

Silly to be wasting time on fiction. If the writers want them all to be Andorians, they may of said so. Have to watch that episode to see if it was so. The comments in particular when Phlox says the DNA is closest to Andorians.

Edit: figures I miss the comment of someone who saw the episode. They said that Shran said they were Andorians. I will double check episode.

No confirmation Shran does not call them Andorians he says they are a subspecies.
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    The Star Trek universe gets the whole interbreeding very wrong. It is exceedingly unlikely Humans, Vulcans and Klingons can interbreed. They've been evolving on separate lines for too long. Conceivably genetics has improved to the point where a hybrid is relatively straightforward but a natural birth would be out of the question.

On the other hand, the Andorians and Aenar look almost identical and probably only separated relatively recently so are likely classified as the same species, sub-species at most.

What you say holds true for humans and Neanderthals. They would look as much a like to Andorians. And Andorians would make the same comment about humans and Neanderthals.

Silly to be wasting time on fiction. If the writers want them all to be Andorians, they may of said so. Have to watch that episode to see if it was so. The comments in particular when Phlox says the DNA is closest to Andorians.

The Aenar are blind and extremely telepathic, which are pretty striking differences when compared to Neanderthal and Human, which had slightly different bone structures and perhaps slightly different levels of intelligence.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Aenar ARE Andorians.

As are:

Shran
    Tarah
    Shras

Scott

Scott

The quoted Troll's question is assinine and off point. More accurately, is Grant trying to say that {For examples} Asians, Hispanics, or Africans are NOT Terrans because they look different from the Terrans we most prominently see on most television shows and in most movies?!?!?

Scott

I did not say anything like that and I'm troubled that you would make that leap from a conversation about fictional aliens.

Wasn't some of that the point of the Aenars appearances on some level? Playing out real forms of racism on Andor based on fictional differences? Like the Frank Gorsham black and white vs white and black aliens?
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Aenar ARE Andorians.

As are:

Shran
    Tarah
    Shras

Scott

Scott

The quoted Troll's question is assinine and off point. More accurately, is Grant trying to say that {For examples} Asians, Hispanics, or Africans are NOT Terrans because they look different from the Terrans we most prominently see on most television shows and in most movies?!?!?

Scott

Wasn't some of that the point of the Aenars appearances on some level? Playing out real forms of racism on Andor based on fictional differences? Like the Frank Gorsham black and white vs white and black aliens?

I don't know what that is, but it's certainly not what the conversation was about Comment moderated. ˜Shan
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back to topic. When are we getting the specifics for the coming event?
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭

Wednesday, like always.
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Comment moderated. ˜Shan

My guess is that the specifics will be posted in 24 hours, as usual.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Bonus crew update usually drops by 6 PM ET USA on Tuesday. Reward info on Wednesday as usual. 🖖🏻

EDIT: fingers crossed for Mudd as threshold
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust