Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: The Butchers of Beta Penthe - 05/17

Comments

• ChaoticDNAChaoticDNA ✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    On a separate note, I see people are grinding hard on these Faction missions for a shot at Killy. I ran a successful Kick Start, and have only failed a few subsequent missions in 4 shuttles, running a tight schedule, but already I'm far outside the top 1K.

It does seem to be pretty competitive...
    Captain Bubble Bobble
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I will go somewhat off-topic here and say that this Event has been good for me already, regardless of my finishing rank.

The reason why is that I took a long, hard look at my crew and realized that I could swap out a dozen seldom-used-but-active immortal 4*s with bonus Terrans & Klingons in my cryostasis vault. Come Monday, I can then refreeze those bonus crew & have plenty of open slots heading into the June Mega Event.

I figure that the 2000 merits was worth the lesson in Event crew management alone. If I do get the 5* card, though, I will keep her for the cool art & good-enough-for-me-right-now stats. 🖖🏻

P.S.: Gauntlet, here I come (ugh)....
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • edited May 2018
    My pack results:
    (I will do one more pull when my daily dilithium get back up to 650)
    (The second-last one is Kes)
    Thanks to thresholds and a special offer, I Currently have a 3/4 Ardra and a 4/4 Kes
    94e2vn9gg2o1.png
    3kh93yux2qfy.png
    xjizhnd8kptp.png
    0auu53vvcsrl.png
    zc978ay6wrjh.png

“What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaoticDNA wrote: »
    On a separate note, I see people are grinding hard on these Faction missions for a shot at Killy. I ran a successful Kick Start, and have only failed a few subsequent missions in 4 shuttles, running a tight schedule, but already I'm far outside the top 1K.

I agree. I think this is the most competitive I've ever seen a faction event to stay in the top 1k. I attribute it to the absolutely crazy number of bonus crew. We've never had an event where so many players were likely to be able to fill every slot on every shuttle with bonus crew.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. I think this is the most competitive I've ever seen a faction event to stay in the top 1k. I attribute it to the absolutely crazy number of bonus crew. We've never had an event where so many players were likely to be able to fill every slot on every shuttle with bonus crew.

Brutal - Doctor...
    I just don't think as many people cared about that one.
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to share my experiences with this event. I haven't tried in a faction event in at least 6 months to maybe a year. Time is limited and it's also just too competitive.

I tried this time however. I was looking down at 200+ blue time boosts and wanted Killy.

I spent most of the event ranked around 200. And was able to stop boosting Sunday afternoon. Overnight I'd fall 200-300 places but I could get it back the next day.

It cost about 120 boosts and I'll finish top 600. I would say my average success rate was 3/4 at 4000 for the whole event. I have a good crew. Not all 5/5 but very solid.

My question is - is this the standard for the reasonable player? Without commanding a top squad are we saying one must use 100+ time boosts for top 1000? Is this desirable?
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow 200. I spent under 40. maybe 30 ish for under 500. I pulled back to save em for next week. Although I rarely fail at 97% so thats a factor also. But it was competitive. Atleast compared to last week.
    Round 800 here, spent about 30 time boosts but did use a number of skill boosts just to make certain of success. And due to actually getting some sleep on Sat night I used 4 overnight boosts.
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Round 800 here, spent about 30 time boosts but did use a number of skill boosts just to make certain of success. And due to actually getting some sleep on Sat night I used 4 overnight boosts.

Yeah staying up all night would definitely lighten the load on the speed boosts. I did that for Captain Proton and once was plenty for me on that.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
    I used 20 of the 3* time boosters with immortal bonus crew in every slot & finished at 242.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just finished 13th. Used 3* time boosts on every single mission except when I slept I used 5* skill boosts. With the bug discovery I barely failed any missions and had bonus crew on nearly every seat, every mission. Saying it was a competitive event is absolutely true. It was a doozy to stay up there. Pretty sure ALOT of people wanted Tilly
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I used 20 of the 3* time boosters with immortal bonus crew in every slot & finished at 242.

Yes i understand about the 5/5 crowd with 97% success for all shuttles. I'm talking about the average joe dedicated. The monthly card heroes out there.
  • Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    V. wrote: »
    Just wanted to share my experiences with this event. I haven't tried in a faction event in at least 6 months to maybe a year. Time is limited and it's also just too competitive.

I tried this time however. I was looking down at 200+ blue time boosts and wanted Killy.

I spent most of the event ranked around 200. And was able to stop boosting Sunday afternoon. Overnight I'd fall 200-300 places but I could get it back the next day.

It cost about 120 boosts and I'll finish top 600. I would say my average success rate was 3/4 at 4000 for the whole event. I have a good crew. Not all 5/5 but very solid.

My question is - is this the standard for the reasonable player? Without commanding a top squad are we saying one must use 100+ time boosts for top 1000? Is this desirable?

Wow you used over 100 boosts?

I finished top 300 and I don't think I used more than about 10. I have loads back in case I needed to use them. However, I found that by carefully selecting crew and stat boosts I was able to get 3/4 if not 4/4 pretty much every time.
    edited May 2018

Yes i understand about the 5/5 crowd with 97% success for all shuttles. I'm talking about the average joe dedicated. The monthly card heroes out there.

I am monthly card & most of my crew are 4/4*.

Ummm I had some 94 and 95% shuttles with 4s on them -- they were just event/bonus crew. Now I do have a few 5/5s like Kortar and Mirror Picard, since they were just 1 star away when earned from their mega--- and most shmoes should have those too unless they are new. I did do a citation for Kes as well once I had her 3/4 and FE. There were some 1/5s as well... The one about 1/5 I had that was only 1/5 from their event was Assimilated Torres and I've been working on her since Collections came out to add citations so that I can collect the Medical Bonus

I went bananas on the megas so had a ton of Klingons and Mirror folks to draw on.

• Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came in around 500. Did a truncated quick-start with 12 1-minute missions followed by using 4 purple time boosts to insta-finish 2-hour shuttles, then I was a 3 hour shuttles. I only had enough blue boosts to run two waves of 3 hour shuttles at 1.5 hours then switched to skill boosts. Woke up every three hours for each night except the last one. Asside from immortal Kortar and Mirror Picard all other crew was immortalized 4-starts.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mainly you need time boosts for the first day to get you quickly to 4000k per shuttle then u just need to keep doing your shuttles with skill boosts and the 9 hr shuttles when you sleep.
    Let’s fly!
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Other than the time boosts I used for the quick start I used four 3* time boosts. Final rank was 194. About 65K of my VP came from being a squad leader. I had enough dil saved for two event pulls to try for a fourth Kes. I got a Killy and 3rd star for Ardra instead. Used the free cite DB sent out earlier on Kes.

I was very careful about the AND shuttle crew selection making sure to follow current best known info.

On the four shuttles I ran I had 2 5/5’s, 1 2/5, 5 1/5’s (including Killy), 5 4/4’s (including Kes eventually) and 1 3/4 (Ardra).

Unboosted my shuttles were 86, 90, 92, 92 (94 once Kes was immortal). With 3* skill boosts they were 92, 95, 95, 95. About half way through the event I stopped skill boosting the two higher percentage shuttles.
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭

Unboosted my shuttles were 86, 90, 92, 92 (94 once Kes was immortal). With 3* skill boosts they were 92, 95, 95, 95. About half way through the event I stopped skill boosting the two higher percentage shuttles.

That's interesting. I chose carefully and my unboosted chances were typically 70%. I guess that comes from not having the event specific crew. Though I would say my overall success was around 80% so the difference didn't matter this time.

Somehow I forgot just how unpopular my opinions on shuttle events are here. So I'll back away now before I get in trouble with a bow and tip o tha hat.

That's interesting. I chose carefully and my unboosted chances were typically 70%. I guess that comes from not having the event specific crew. Though I would say my overall success was around 80% so the difference didn't matter this time.

Somehow I forgot just how unpopular my opinions on shuttle events are here. So I'll back away now before I get in trouble with a bow and tip o tha hat.

Don’t sweat it. Very little here goes uncriticized

Let me clarify further:

I had Ardra at 4/4, thanks to Voyage drops and one event pack. I earned & leveled the 3/4 Kes during the event itself. I had no Killy.

My immortal bonus crew referred to 4* Klingons and Terrans, plus Mirror Picard.
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Brutal - Doctor...
    I just don't think as many people cared about that one.

My lowest finish in a while. There is something to be said though for realizing early on Friday that I wasn't going to be able to mathematically break top 1000... didn't have to worry about the game much over the weekend, got some sleep, etc...
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • al103al103 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

My experience - normal boosts after quickstart. Ended just above 1200 because I overslept. 1-2 more runs and I would've been in top 1000. With crew involved 10 more time boosts would also meant that I'm in top 1000. But it required shuttles every 3 hours.

I'm monthly card player, so short of T'Kuvma, Picard and shared Beverly it was 1/5, 4/4 and some 2/4 even - including Ardra.

If you think this is folks firing up about your opinion, you've not been reading this place lately.

This was just factual based responses based on several of our experiences.
  • Knight RangerKnight Ranger ✭✭✭✭
    I made an attempt for my first top 1000 this event, but failed. Finished somewhere in the 1270s. I'd been creeping up slowly thanks to running high-percentage shuttles with 3* cut-timers. Typically two shuttles would be over 85% without boost and I'd cut-time those, then %-boost the other two on normal turnarounds to get them into the 80s. I was about 1100ish when I went to bed on Saturday night. Unfortunately I was out all day Sunday and didn't have the data allowance left on my phone to keep up with the game on the go, so dropped back down to the 1600s by the time I got back. I used up some of my precious 4* cut-timers to try and claw back, but only broke the top 1300 just before the 5pm deadline. That Sunday outing probably scuppered me, oh well.

At least I broke a personal record by getting every threshold prize, even the previously unassailable (for me) 1000 merits for a quarter-mil points. Think I was over 300k by the finish.
    Level 99. Latest Immortal (957): Chancellor Gowron - October 2023.
    I made an attempt for my first top 1000 this event, but failed. Finished somewhere in the 1270s. I'd been creeping up slowly thanks to running high-percentage shuttles with 3* cut-timers. Typically two shuttles would be over 85% without boost and I'd cut-time those, then %-boost the other two on normal turnarounds to get them into the 80s. I was about 1100ish when I went to bed on Saturday night. Unfortunately I was out all day Sunday and didn't have the data allowance left on my phone to keep up with the game on the go, so dropped back down to the 1600s by the time I got back. I used up some of my precious 4* cut-timers to try and claw back, but only broke the top 1300 just before the 5pm deadline. That Sunday outing probably scuppered me, oh well.

At least I broke a personal record by getting every threshold prize, even the previously unassailable (for me) 1000 merits for a quarter-mil points. Think I was over 300k by the finish.

Scuppered?

edited May 2018
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Scuppered?

Spoiled/ruined my chances. If you don't know the word, I've probably used a local colloquialism, lol. I'm a Brit.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! You scored a personal best. You should feel good about that achievement. This was the hardest event to break the top 1k that I've seen in at least a year of playing. If you apply what you did to get that far this weekend to another future event, odds are good you'll break the top 1k very soon.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
    edited May 2018
    I'll have to save up on timers first to try again, I've only got about 10 left now. Last faction event I tried to do this on was Gates of Hell for Trials and Tribbleations Worf. Finished 1024 then, so this is my second best finish :)

I definitely see what you mean about it being a hard event. On Gates of Hell, I think I just missed out on the 1k merits, but still almost made three figures. This time I was a couple hundred ranks down with about 50k more points. With the amount of Discovery haters around, I didn't expect it to be as busy.
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Scuppered?

Spoiled/ruined my chances. If you don't know the word, I've probably used a local colloquialism, lol. I'm a Brit.

That's awesome. I'm using "scuppered" at the next opportunity.