Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: Catching Fire - First Skirmish Event - 05/31 Q/A Edit

Comments

• Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elynduil wrote: »
    Do we think "variants of Bashir" will be bonus crew at any point during the mega, or am I wasting my time leveling Changeling Bashir?

Changeling Bashir's skillset makes him worth leveling, regardless of variant-worthiness. He is always out on a shuttle or voyage for me, FWIW.

Changeling Bashir has a nice set of traits, he can unlock a couple of nodes.

He ship ability is hull repair, that might prove invaluable in this event.
  • Was really looking forward to a DS9 themed Mega event. Instead we get a TOS event with Sisko and a random TNG crew. Way to give the people what they voted for :(

I have the same feeling but, remember this is the first event, of a mega event with a new kind of event type, this might be changed, I hope so, on the next 3 events. :#
  • dmppghaz2jms.jpg

U.S.S. Defiant is 4* currently or do you mean the Defiant Class ship 3*? Clarify pls thank you.

It's water clear! The ship that has bonus for the Elite difficulty is the USS Defiant 4*! The bonus, for the ship, implies, better hull and thats it.
  • RaraRacing wrote: »
    Nero84 wrote: »
    Interested to see how threshold rewards will be structured. Assuming also there is no crew sharing or anything like that with this new event.

I second that:

I second that too!

So what will the reward structure look like?

I am also looking at some kind of hint on this subject!

1. Will there be Community Rewards like there are for Galaxy events?

I do hope so!

2. Will ship schematics be a part of the reward structure? (e.g. instead of the standard 2* crew and their equipment - I mean, most of us will be airlocking the 2* Sisko anyway)

I do hope/think so, as this type of evento doesn't need a chroniton stockpile or a Kit, they can be changed to Ship Schematics!

3. Will we be able to FF a crew without buying an event pack? (great for use f2p types).

Great for us too!
  • Was really looking forward to a DS9 themed Mega event. Instead we get a TOS event with Sisko and a random TNG crew. Way to give the people what they voted for :(

What? The mega-event is DS9/Augments.

This event features all Augment and/or DS9 crew.

Both aspects of the event are being fairly represented.

What he is implying here is that there are little DS9 crew with bonus in comparison with Vulcans/Romulans Event where all the crew with vulcan or romulan trait had bonus
  • True,

But for this first event you will use at most 4 crew.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    True,

But for this first event you will use at most 4 crew.

Unless you rotate your non-legendary crew who have Hull Repair as bonus ability. I do not plan to grind Skirmishes (intel) like Expedition (tickets), but that possibility looms. 🖖🏻

EDIT: If the crew do not fatigue, then my point is irrelevant.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • SST - 9of7 wrote: »
    Shan wrote: »
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    So do featured crew receive extra bonuses when used in the skirmish?

They do!

I have added the following to the original post:
    Some Q/A:

- Will crew in assigned to Voyages/Shuttles be locked out for Skirmishes: No
    - What kind of bonus do bonus crew provide: bonus crew will increase VP gain and, at the end of a battle, will enhance repair if you choose to repair, or enhance rewards if that is the option chosen.

This is extremely helpful. One additional question: does the VP/reward bonus stack if you use more than one bonus crew? For example, if I use three bonus crew on the USS Defiant rather than one bonus crew and two normal crew, does this triple the VP bonus? Thank you.

You can infer these things from the video.
    It implies expedition bonuses on VP and no stacking.
    Event crew = ×2 VP (400 VP instead of 200 VP with Mirror Kirk) So most likely bonus crew x1.5 VP.
    Using both Mirror Kirk and Troi changed nothing for the VP Bonus --> no stacking

I undestood this just like you did, similar to Expedition events, Event crew 2x VP and, the rest of the crew with some bonus 1,5x VP
  • Glad I saw this thread before I took a chance on a Strange New Worlds pack, 'cause I, too, wants me that Sisko.

A question I hadn't thought of until now, @Shan, is why are those opponents clearly not 1* and 2* ships? How does that part work?

You should not mind about that their stats if you watch the video again are mucho lower than for instance a Borg Cube on the Arena, it's reasonable that, like this, you could beat a Borg Cube with a Constellation Class ship
  • edited May 2018
    Glad I saw this thread before I took a chance on a Strange New Worlds pack, 'cause I, too, wants me that Sisko.

Thanks for the clarifications, @[QH] WhiteClifford! I thought I heard something the first time I watched the video about star rarities being ignored in some capacity for the purpose of Skirmishes, but I obviously didn't process what that meant, and I somehow missed it on this second viewing.

Now, does anyone know who will pair well with Young Khan on the U.S.S. Defiant? :)

It will depend on the traits and the crew you have available!
  • edited May 2018
    @Shan, after reading the whole thread I still have a Question: will crewmen/ship's abilities like dealing x% damage to the enemy, repearing the ship's hull or shields, etc., work during the event?
  • FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    dmppghaz2jms.jpg

U.S.S. Defiant is 4* currently or do you mean the Defiant Class ship 3*? Clarify pls thank you.

It's water clear! The ship that has bonus for the Elite difficulty is the USS Defiant 4*! The bonus, for the ship, implies, better hull and thats it.

(Clears throat) umm.. excuse me.. umm.. Hi.
    The contempt in your tone is extremely disrespectful.

Not to mention very extremely late and very redundant given that the very next message in the thread is him replying himself that the original post had been updated with information he was asking about that was not available 3 days ago from the message that you're replying to now.

Thank you for your time and attention,
    I very much look forward to a much more respectful future with you in these forums.
  • dmppghaz2jms.jpg

(Clears throat) umm.. excuse me.. umm.. Hi.
    The contempt in your tone is extremely disrespectful.

Not to mention very extremely late and very redundant given that the very next message in the thread is him replying himself that the original post had been updated with information he was asking about that was not available 3 days ago from the message that you're replying to now.

Thank you for your time and attention,
    I very much look forward to a much more respectful future with you in these forums.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be disrispectful with anyone, I was just trying to clarify many questions and reading myself the whole thread because of the question I wanted to ask, and knowing that Shan is alone now, J didn't want to re ask a question and tried to see if what I wanted to ask was already asked and answered.
    During the reading of the thread I started answering as many questions I understood from the video and the explanation about Skirmishes, I started answering what I saw was necessary without reading the whole thread, and that's my fault, I realized later that some doubts were answered.
    If you think the expression "It's water clear" is insultating anyone, that was not my intention really.
  • Its okay no offence taken, original notice specified Defiant as 3*, so I posted a query, it was resolved quickly. Hence thanking them for their prompt correction of event notice.
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »
    I really have a bad feeling that we're going to wish we had a "practice" skirmish event before it was incorporated into a Mega.... we'll see!

As others have said, fortune favours the bold. Let's think positively and hopefully, DB's efforts will pay off for the enjoyment of all.
  • Its okay no offence taken, original notice specified Defiant as 3*, so I posted a query, it was resolved quickly. Hence thanking them for their prompt correction of event notice.

I also realized about this after further reading of the thread :p but there is no option to delete a certain post :'(
  • Just to confirm, Gabriel Bell does count as a version of Sisko, so he will get a bonus right? And also, i do hope he becomes available in a pack once during this month since we are getting Bell Riots Bashir. Same for Joachim. (If you assume that those 2 crew are the only bonus crew i have that arent ff/fe yet...you are correct! I could use more augments/sisko variants but i really want more stars for these two crew!!)
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I made some edits so I am xposting the Q/A found in the original post here:
    Some Q/A:

- What kind of bonus do bonus crew provide: bonus crew that have a matching trait will increase VP gain and, at the end of a battle, will enhance repair if you choose to repair, or enhance rewards if that is the option chosen.
    - Will trait bonus/crew bonus stack: No. If you use multiple bonus crew, only the highest bonus will be taken into account. Edited: removed the notion of trait as it is included in the concept of bonus crew, when an event includes crew with a specific trait.
    - What kind of bonus do featured ships provide: From our blog post "Different featured ships will give hull bonuses during each event, so choose your ship wisely. "

Important distinction for bonus crew: each battle in a Skirmish has its own traits to match, bonus crew provide a better trait match bonus. (Similarly to a Galaxy Event when building an event item)

So if Bonus/Event crew does not match the trait of that battle there is no bonus effect to them? Cause it sounds like it's only a multiplier to the trait. Galaxies, while similar, actually provide a bonus regardless of trait match if the character is event or bonus..
    Call me a sinner, but I personally hope we never see Admiral Patrick. He really didn't do anything except deliver one amusing line. To me, that isn't exactly crew worthy. For example what would his skills even be? Some weak grasp at DIP or CMD? I can't think of anything else, not a whole lot is really defining about his character other than he's augmented and kooky.

His analysis of Damar was pretty spot on in many respects, though his conclusions were amiss as to what to do about them. Though in some respects, that was what all three did. I actually think he did most of the analysis and Jack just restated it.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shan, after reading the whole thread I still have a Question: will crewmen/ship's abilities like dealing x% damage to the enemy, repearing the ship's hull or shields, etc., work during the event?

Yes :)
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some Q/A:

- What kind of bonus do bonus crew provide: bonus crew that have a matching trait will increase VP gain and, at the end of a battle, will enhance repair if you choose to repair, or enhance rewards if that is the option chosen.
    - Will trait bonus/crew bonus stack: No. If you use multiple bonus crew, only the highest bonus will be taken into account. Edited: removed the notion of trait as it is included in the concept of bonus crew, when an event includes crew with a specific trait.
    - What kind of bonus do featured ships provide: From our blog post "Different featured ships will give hull bonuses during each event, so choose your ship wisely. "

Important distinction for bonus crew: each battle in a Skirmish has its own traits to match, bonus crew provide a better trait match bonus. (Similarly to a Galaxy Event when building an event item)

So if Bonus/Event crew does not match the trait of that battle there is no bonus effect to them? Cause it sounds like it's only a multiplier to the trait. Galaxies, while similar, actually provide a bonus regardless of trait match if the character is event or bonus..

Here is how the designer explained it: Bonus crew provide a better trait match bonus.
    Some Q/A:

Here is how the designer explained it: Bonus crew provide a better trait match bonus.

Again, so that means no bonuses without a trait match for bonus and event crew.
    That sounds horrible, making there a possibility of no benefit of purchasing or having bonus crew if the traits of a battle don't align.

Unless I misunderstand it, I find that a very bad design choice.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some Q/A:

Again, so that means no bonuses without a trait match for bonus and event crew.
    That sounds horrible, making there a possibility of no benefit of purchasing or having bonus crew if the traits of a battle don't align.

Unless I misunderstand it, I find that a very bad design choice.

How do we even tell what the bonus is? Other than the "bonus" keyword, there is no UI indicator to help us determine which bonus is better. Galaxy/faction events have a % indication so we can determine which is a better selection. Expedition events have no traits and it's a simple high bonus = 2x, low bonus = 1.5x. This bonus selection seems to combine high/low with traits, but gives no feedback to confirm which selection is better.
  • This is a must have Sisko for me. Im all in on this one.

3hepibdgho55.jpeg

His stats better be good

239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • RowdenRowden ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I think Shan was saying that featured crew get ZERO bonus if they don't also have the featured trait. I don't believe it's been mentioned anywhere that the skills have to match to get the bonus vp.

But the rest I think you are spot on.
    OK, I'm going to try and summarize the Skirmish selection process, as I understand it:

First, you see the ships you'll be fighting in this battle-set, with their hull/shield stats. From that, you can choose the ship you'll face them with; if it matches the trait bonuses for the battle-set, you get a hull increase and a small boost in VP.

Then, before reach round, you choose the crew to staff your ship. If someone's traits match those listed for that round, you get a medium boost in VP. If that matching trait is on a bonus crew, you get a large VP boost; if that matching trait is on a featured crew, you get a very large VP boost. If you have an event or featured crew without the matching skill, you get (some level of) bonus.

VP boosts do not stack, so whichever is biggest is the boost you get. However, we don't know how big these boosts each are, so it's not yet clear whether it might be better to use a skill-matching non-event crew, or an event-crew without matching skill, should you have to choose.

Do I have that right?
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rowden wrote: »
    I think Shan was saying that featured crew get ZERO bonus if they don't also have the featured trait. I don't believe it's been mentioned anywhere that the skills have to match to get the bonus vp.

But the rest I think you are spot on.
    OK, I'm going to try and summarize the Skirmish selection process, as I understand it:

First, you see the ships you'll be fighting in this battle-set, with their hull/shield stats. From that, you can choose the ship you'll face them with; if it matches the trait bonuses for the battle-set, you get a hull increase and a small boost in VP.

Then, before reach round, you choose the crew to staff your ship. If someone's traits match those listed for that round, you get a medium boost in VP. If that matching trait is on a bonus crew, you get a large VP boost; if that matching trait is on a featured crew, you get a very large VP boost. If you have an event or featured crew without the matching skill, you get (some level of) bonus.

VP boosts do not stack, so whichever is biggest is the boost you get. However, we don't know how big these boosts each are, so it's not yet clear whether it might be better to use a skill-matching non-event crew, or an event-crew without matching skill, should you have to choose.

Do I have that right?

It’s far to vague. I interpreted it as saying event crew (high bonus) plus trait equal max bonus. The video shows Mirror Kirk (event crew) without matching trait but VP is doubled from 200 to 400 so it can’t be Featured Crew without trait match equal ZERO.
  • RowdenRowden ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I thought Shan was very clear here. But if the video contradicts the information we are being given, then who knows.

"What kind of bonus do bonus crew provide: bonus crew that have a matching trait will increase VP gain and, at the end of a battle, will enhance repair if you choose to repair, or enhance rewards if that is the option chosen.
    - Will trait bonus/crew bonus stack: No. If you use multiple bonus crew, only the highest bonus will be taken into account. Edited: removed the notion of trait as it is included in the concept of bonus crew, when an event includes crew with a specific trait."
    It’s far to vague. I interpreted it as saying event crew (high bonus) plus trait equal max bonus. The video shows Mirror Kirk (event crew) without matching trait but VP is doubled from 200 to 400 so it can’t be Featured Crew without trait match equal ZERO.
  • CatpainCatpain ✭✭

One thing I worry about is what they mean by the traits being different for each battle. If that just means that they differ from one level to the next but remain the same for each attempt that's fine. But if they're random for each battle, that could end up being a nightmare.

Imagine how much more tedious expeditions would be if all the mission traits were shuffled around for each new ticket use.

• Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Rowden wrote: »
    I thought Shan was very clear here. But if the video contradicts the information we are being given, then who knows.

"What kind of bonus do bonus crew provide: bonus crew that have a matching trait will increase VP gain and, at the end of a battle, will enhance repair if you choose to repair, or enhance rewards if that is the option chosen.
    - Will trait bonus/crew bonus stack: No. If you use multiple bonus crew, only the highest bonus will be taken into account. Edited: removed the notion of trait as it is included in the concept of bonus crew, when an event includes crew with a specific trait."

Yeah I read that too and thought OMG, that’s going to be a lot of crew swapping but unless the video is a beta trial version and not indicative of reality, then something is clearly wrong and you don’t have to match both event crew and traits.

tyl38nc1812k.png
    p8sru4b64o7s.png
    9vv8u1smn8xu.png
    3mxociouma50.png

First match he had no matching traits for Mirror Kirk but VP doubled to 400. Second match Kirk has Brutal matching trait, still 400 VP even though he swapped to Mirror Troi who is small bonus to illustrate no stacking Of bonus. Third and Fourth back to Bashir and still 400 with no matching traits. Last one drops 1400 with trait matching Terran Empire so I’m assuming 1000VP or 5x base VP (with no bonus multiplier) for finishing all five battles.

I don’t know for sure but I’m guessing 2x for Event Character, 1.5x for all other bonus characters including trait match ones. I would have thought that it might have been 2.5x for event character plus trait match but the video doesn’t show that.

I guess we’ll find out for sure on Thursday.