Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: Catching Fire - First Skirmish Event - 05/31 Q/A Edit

Comments

• [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    From the way it looked to me, there are two different things being boosted:

- Bonus crew boosts VP
    - Trait matching boosts hull repair and end-of-battle rewards

And the large VP payout at the end was for finishing all five battles.

Thoughts?
  • guest_7456guest_7456 ✭✭✭
    i think a simpler explanation is that the trait bonuses are not actually applied at all in the build they used to make the video. No VP boost, no reward boost, no way to really tell about the hull-repair boost. it really looks like all traits are doing is putting the word "bonus" over the portraits.

Also, i'll just throw out the theory that the final bonus could just be 50% of the vp earned cumulatively instead of a flat amount. I.e. if ryan had used no bonus crew for one of the 5 battles and earned 200vp the final bonus might have been 900 instead of 1000vp.

@Shan new question (i think): is there any benefit to using the abandon button over just letting your ship die? And if not, why even give players something to misclick on?
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elynduil wrote: »

- Bonus crew boosts VP

Thoughts?

You change crew after each battle, which crew count towards that final VP?
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Elynduil wrote: »

- Bonus crew boosts VP

Thoughts?

You change crew after each battle, which crew count towards that final VP?

None. We are assuming that the extra 1000 rewarded at end is battles won x200. I am guessing if you end early you may still get this reward except, less battles won. If you lose, I guess you get no VP for battles won?

I think abandon skirmish, only saves you the time to lose a battle you know you will lose. I am thinking skirmish is over once you lose a battle.

Not sure if there is any reward when skirmish is lost.

Okay as @guest_7456 pointed out there is lower VP for losing battle.

So if you are under a time constraint, maybe you only want to go with battles you won and end early with abandon skirmish, but we do not know if you will get any VP for using that button.
  • guest_7456guest_7456 ✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »

according to the video @3:48 you get "less vp" if you lose a battle. Pretty vague... could mean you get 20% as consolation like failed shuttle missions. could mean you get 0. Maybe it means you get negative VP which would make a case for the abandon button's existence..
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    guest_7456 wrote: »

according to the video @3:48 you get "less vp" if you lose a battle. Pretty vague... could mean you get 20% as consolation like failed shuttle missions. could mean you get 0. Maybe it means you get negative VP which would make a case for the abandon button's existence..

Probably your 20% thought. But really makes you wonder why there is an abandon button. 20% is better than 0%.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    guest_7456 wrote: »

Probably your 20% thought. But really makes you wonder why there is an abandon button. 20% is better than 0%.

The "Abandon Skirmish" button could function similarly to the "End Ticket" button in an Expedition event, for the purpose of grinding down multiple ships' hulls via repeated Skirmishes at each level (Normal, Elite, Epic).

As @Paund Skumm said above, we will find out Thursday. Regardless of any technical difficulties or design features "working as intended," I am looking forward to this ship Event. LLAP
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, you see the ships you'll be fighting in this battle-set, with their hull/shield stats. From that, you can choose the ship you'll face them with; if it matches the trait bonuses for the battle-set, you get a hull increase and a small boost in VP.

Is that correct, that bonus ships also give a VP boost?

I've only seen "- What kind of bonus do featured ships provide: From our blog post "Different featured ships will give hull bonuses during each event, so choose your ship wisely. ""

• WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya we are pretty much waiting until Thursday to get these minor questions answered.
    However, I think I will steer clear of the abandon skirmish button if it is there.
    Unless, what if the game bugs out and we are stuck in skirmish but cannot battle even after multiple restarts. Maybe it's the panic button.
  • <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya we are pretty much waiting until Thursday to get these minor questions answered.
    However, I think I will steer clear of the abandon skirmish button if it is there.
    Unless, what if the game bugs out and we are stuck in skirmish but cannot battle even after multiple restarts. Maybe it's the panic button.

A panic button would make sense.

Even if not for bug reasons... some of us, I assume (hint: probably not me), have things going on in real life. When one of those things happens, it might be nice to be able to quit the skirmish.

Again, probably not me, so I could be wrong. :p
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya a way to bring up the phone display with one click.
    I’m not playing a game. I am checking my phone for messages.
    Ya that’s it😉
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya that’s it😉

All games should have this.

"What? No, this isn't a game, I'm checking my work emails!"
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is this video???
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Shan wrote: »
    Don't forget to check our blog post related to Skirmishes for details about this new event type.

Click blog the video is over there
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya that’s it😉

You mean like these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_key
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Ya that’s it😉

You mean like these?

Haha yes, exactly. I remember having a program like that on my computer a very, very long time ago and something like that on the phone would be fun.

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone :)
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    It occurs to me, this would be an excellent time for DB to finally admit to ship battle mechanics. For example, how exactly does boarding work? Does it to 5% of your current attack per second, does that go up when you increase your attack with crew abilities? How does boost boarding work? add 10% for 5.5%, 20% for 6%?

You know, actual game mechanics that seem for some reason to be taboo for DB to talk about, for whatever reasons, dubious or not.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Ya that’s it😉

You mean like these?

Haha yes, exactly. I remember having a program like that on my computer a very, very long time ago and something like that on the phone would be fun.

I remember it too.
    The only thing I can come up with was Rogue. But I can not remember if it did or not. It’s graphics was just alphanumeric characters. And I think all it did was show a DOS prompt.

I cannot remember the games but I remember one just showed a spreadsheet. Another just showed a desktop for an old version of windows probably 3.1 but could have been an earlier version that not many used.
    Ya that’s it😉

You mean like these?

I remember it too.
    The only thing I can come up with was Rogue. But I can not remember if it did or not. It’s graphics was just alphanumeric characters. And I think all it did was show a DOS prompt.

I cannot remember the games but I remember one just showed a spreadsheet. Another just showed a desktop for an old version of windows probably 3.1 but could have been an earlier version that not many used.

I had a colleague a couple of years ago who openly played Rogue in windowed mode on his work computer, and because it just looks like a weird command prompt as you're walking by, and we frequently work in CLI, no one even noticed. :P

The one I had showed a generic looking desktop I think, with like a word doc open or something. I remember it not being very convincing?

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • NS111111NS111111 ✭✭✭
    So Bashir is med primary - potentially very similar to Cornwell by the looks of it?

Good to get a 3* Khan from the event - will be good to completing the Augment collection.
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh, Khan is threshold.
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeeeeaaaah. New 3*star Khan.

I hope for new 3* or 2* star every week.

3* star Persis.
    2*star Ezri Dax
    2* Star O'Brien
  • McCaptainfaceMcCaptainface ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Khan as solo threshold reward!! DB are you kidding me?! Why the change to the new 4* been a ranked reward! Literally has killed my desire to play this event as I can not be sure with the new 'Skirmish' mode where I will end up on ranked.... and granted I don't mind a free 5* but this is going to be a near copy of Cornwell
  • SpockySpocky ✭✭
    Thank you for making Young Khan threshold! Even though I really want that Command Khan, I doubt I'm going to get him. Still, nice incentive to play past Bashir.
  • ApaggApagg ✭✭✭
    So Bashir is a slightly inferior Cornwell?