Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: Turning Point - 06/07 - Edit: 06/04

1234568»

Comments

• YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    I think we all have to start accepting the fact that none of our little augment reject friends (Patrick, Sarina, et al) are going to be part of this event.

That would suit me just fine.

Agreed, uninteresting annoying characters. Sarina would be 'alright' but I don't really care one way or the other
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »
    Agreed, uninteresting annoying characters. Sarina would be 'alright' but I don't really care one way or the other

I don't mind them on the show, but I'm not clamoring for their inclusion in game.
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »

I don't mind them on the show, but I'm not clamoring for their inclusion in game.

Would be nice though to have more than 1 female Augment in the game........
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    I will say though, Arik Soon was even more memorable. I mean Brent Spiner. Soong. Even his comment at the end of the show, "I don't think Humanity can be perfected. Maybe rebotics? But that's too big for just me, it might take another generation or two."

Hnnnng. That quote is a good example of one of the things that I hated about Enterprise - the way it often just treated its audience like absolute idiots. Thank goodness they cut that line where they did, as I'm sure the next line in the script had Spiner look straight into the camera and say ,"Because, you see, my grandson makes Data in TNG!!!! That's what I mean by "generation or two"! I'm the actor that plays Data's creator! I play Data, too! Isn't that great, how we've connected to TNG? Surely you love this show now! Moron."

Ugh. The cringe factor was strong in Enterprise. (And funnily enough, I'm the Enterprise defender in my social circle!)

It was still not as bad as the Cochrane's "Astronauts on some kind of star trek" comment - IIRC even the actors looked uncomfortable in the scene
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭

So our choices are the mute or the trollop.
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I will say though, Arik Soon was even more memorable. I mean Brent Spiner. Soong. Even his comment at the end of the show, "I don't think Humanity can be perfected. Maybe rebotics? But that's too big for just me, it might take another generation or two."

Hnnnng. That quote is a good example of one of the things that I hated about Enterprise - the way it often just treated its audience like absolute idiots. Thank goodness they cut that line where they did, as I'm sure the next line in the script had Spiner look straight into the camera and say ,"Because, you see, my grandson makes Data in TNG!!!! That's what I mean by "generation or two"! I'm the actor that plays Data's creator! I play Data, too! Isn't that great, how we've connected to TNG? Surely you love this show now! Moron."

Ugh. The cringe factor was strong in Enterprise. (And funnily enough, I'm the Enterprise defender in my social circle!)

I actually loved that line from Arik. Those slightly cheesy semi-subtle moments connecting different series together were something I enjoyed. It told us that the writers recognized they were playing in an already established Star Trek universe, and that it needed to all hang together.
    Well, I think the Ferengi, the Borg, and even many of the Vulcan and the Klingon lines and stories undermine the "the [Enterprise] writers recognized they were playing in an already established Star Trek universe, and that it needed to all hang together" idea.

But "semi-subtle" had already been passed when they cast Brent Spiner and called the scientist Soong. The connection was obvious to any TNG fans, and irrelevant to others. Throwing in that line at the end was almost as if they'd finished making the episodes, and then thought 'What if our fans don't realize who this is?!'. And of course, the "it might take another generation or two" part simply doesn't make sense by itself - it's simply confusing to people new to Trek, as it would make more sense to say it would take a lot of work, or a big team. The idea that after he had considered the problem for three or four seconds, he could guess that he would keep the problem within his family (was there a son/daughter between the Soongs working their entire life on the problem, with zero results?) and it would take two generations... can he see into the future? It fails on both levels - insulting us fans, and making newcomers scratch their heads at such an odd thing to say.

Although having always thought that the line was a complete travesty that was either offensive or inexplicable to anyone watching, I am slightly pleased to hear that there are a couple of people who didn't find it stupid, at least.

Perhaps if the line had been better written, so it would have made sense out of the context of LOOK IT'S NOONIAN SOONG'S GRANDAD AREN'T WE SMART, then I could have appreciated it in the same way that I appreciated most of Enterprise (i.e. forgotten it).

Edit: it's worth noting that my general feeling towards Enterprise does vary with the time of day, the cycle of the Moon, and various other factors. Since writing this comment I have just watched Left Behind (2014), and suddenly find myself warming to Enterprise again.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it was lame, the ratings were low and Enterprise was desperately trying to get fans. They should have focused more on their stories and maybe added in some better actors. Bakula really ruined the show, he was terrible. And instead of the writers realizing how bad Bakula was doing and focus more on the better actors they instead continued to make the show all about Archer. I wish that Jeffrey Combs had been cast as Captain Archer.
    Let’s fly!
    On a different note, it is frustrating how little Bell Riots Bashir is helping. There are so few medical slots in the shuttle missions.
    Let’s fly!
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

I remember an episode with Sarina talking quite a lot. Maybe you missed that one :smiley:
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember an episode with Sarina talking quite a lot. Maybe you missed that one :smiley:

I think that was the whole point of that episode, to get her adjusted enough so that she could interact and talk
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I saw it. Summary of Sarina:

She's mute, she speaks monotone, she sings, she's mute.
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Spiner's line works for Arik. He says I won't be able to finish the work myself but in generation or two someone else will be able. Arik at that moment wasn't thinking that his son or grandson will finish the job... He was just speculating
  • ApaggApagg ✭✭✭
    Apagg wrote: »
    Wish Soong wasn't threshold. I guess this is how they get people spending though!

Nah, they get more spending when they put the new character in Thresholds b/c it forces people to spend to FF it.

Tons of people already have Soong FFed (previously in two events and in the portal forever).

I guess for me I take a chance on the

I actually loved that line from Arik. Those slightly cheesy semi-subtle moments connecting different series together were something I enjoyed. It told us that the writers recognized they were playing in an already established Star Trek universe, and that it needed to all hang together.
    Well, I think the Ferengi, the Borg, and even many of the Vulcan and the Klingon lines and stories undermine the "the [Enterprise] writers recognized they were playing in an already established Star Trek universe, and that it needed to all hang together" idea.

But "semi-subtle" had already been passed when they cast Brent Spiner and called the scientist Soong. The connection was obvious to any TNG fans, and irrelevant to others. Throwing in that line at the end was almost as if they'd finished making the episodes, and then thought 'What if our fans don't realize who this is?!'. And of course, the "it might take another generation or two" part simply doesn't make sense by itself - it's simply confusing to people new to Trek, as it would make more sense to say it would take a lot of work, or a big team. The idea that after he had considered the problem for three or four seconds, he could guess that he would keep the problem within his family (was there a son/daughter between the Soongs working their entire life on the problem, with zero results?) and it would take two generations... can he see into the future? It fails on both levels - insulting us fans, and making newcomers scratch their heads at such an odd thing to say.

Although having always thought that the line was a complete travesty that was either offensive or inexplicable to anyone watching, I am slightly pleased to hear that there are a couple of people who didn't find it stupid, at least.

Perhaps if the line had been better written, so it would have made sense out of the context of LOOK IT'S NOONIAN SOONG'S GRANDAD AREN'T WE SMART, then I could have appreciated it in the same way that I appreciated most of Enterprise (i.e. forgotten it).

Edit: it's worth noting that my general feeling towards Enterprise does vary with the time of day, the cycle of the Moon, and various other factors. Since writing this comment I have just watched Left Behind (2014), and suddenly find myself warming to Enterprise again.

I get what you're saying. But I'm inclined to view it more charitably. It implies that without the events of The Augments arc, Data and Lore would never have been created. It's highlighting the far reaching consequences of the last three episodes, especially when you think of the role Data plays
    Considering how evil Arik Soong was I find it hihly unlikely that his descendants would have been given such lattitude to create androids with no interferrence or monitoring by the Federation.
    Let’s fly!
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering how evil Arik Soong was I find it hihly unlikely that his descendants would have been given such lattitude to create androids with no interferrence or monitoring by the Federation.

A fair argument, perhaps, but the Federation isn't supposed to be the type of place where the sins of the father are visited upon the children.

Besides, they did it on a remote colony world.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    the Federation isn't supposed to be the type of place where the sins of the father are visited upon the children.

No, that's a Klingon thing.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    In spirit, I'm with @PenguinJim about ENT generally stumbling when it went out of its way to establish connections to the rest of the franchise. That specific joke, though, didn't faze me. Maybe because by time it was delivered, I'd just acclimated to the unnecessary indulgence of that entire arc.
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Princess Jadzia giving a bonus for anyone? She's not showing one for me.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been running her on this mission and getting a bonus all event.

ue8lxmhxa1sx.png
  • [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭

Replace the last line of his quote with, "Perhaps that can be my legacy..." and it becomes more of a wink or a nod and less of a grab-you-by-the-shoulders-and-shake-you-till-you-get-it.

So easy to fix... :sigh:
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭

She's given me a bonus the whole event. Wouldn't be on track to hit top 1k if it weren't for her help.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malik and his followers are all dead.
  • [S14] Elynduil[S14] Elynduil ✭✭✭✭
    Guess we figured out the reason for Malik's art:

naxpr7acxwg9.png

It's Zombie Malik.
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vacation helped me get my first Top 1000 finish.
    3fzal7mdu1t6.png