Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: Haunted Vessels - 07/12

Comments

• Emmett KEmmett K ✭✭✭
    Everyone figured out these are worth dumping every chrono for a few days. Competition for placement is much tougher.
  • Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it. It's grindy but the whole game is lol. I should finish under 500th somewhere.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though I didn’t have as much time this weekend and won’t make top 1000, I’m happy with all of the credits (now just over 3M total), honor (11k more or so), and super rare items (by way of several thousand chrons) I was able to get. Yes, it is a grind. But it’s not a wasteful grind like Galaxy events and it’s not a brain-numbing grind like Expedition events. I still think Skirmishes would work better when hybridized with something else but they are almost as enjoyable as Faction events.
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    so what is the point in breaking this event into 2 phases.?

I'm guessing it was set up in 2 phases so it could be used in hybrid events the way galaxy events are.

• AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing it was set up in 2 phases so it could be used in hybrid events the way galaxy events are.

Except they run faction events in hybrid without having a phase change in the full event.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

Except they run faction events in hybrid without having a phase change in the full event.

Factions predate Hybrids (and all other events). I imagine if they made Factions today they'd do 2 phases just to make it easier to do the Hybrid.
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not going to make it to top 1000 but don't want extra Weyouns, so I don't care about rank. I just want to transform as much intel and chrons into honor as possible; i've started just running the first 4 ship battles because the fifth just has VP no loot drops. Saves time and makes it easier on those who need Weyoun copys.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Factions predate Hybrids (and all other events). I imagine if they made Factions today they'd do 2 phases just to make it easier to do the Hybrid.

And they'd force us all to redo the kickstart mid-event. I think we should all be grateful it doesn't have an arbitrary phase 2.
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some stats...

Final VP 834,900 — Rank 671

**Loot**
    Intel 6,300 (145 drops)
    Credits 334,500 (162 drops)
    Chrons 5,736 (54 drops)
    Honor 6,578 (67 drops)
    VP 33,900 (98 drops)

133 total runs (P1 82, P2 51)
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some stats...

**Loot**
    Total Drops:
    Intel 6,300 (145 drops)
    Chrons 5,736 (54 drops)
    Honor 6,578 (67 drops)
    VP 33,900 (98 drops)

133 runs would imply 532 drops (assuming you played at least the first four rounds). You have 526 listed drops there. Thoughts on what you might be missing?

(Note: Not trying to be a jerk. I was checking what your %s were for drop proportions, but noticed the minor discrepancy.)
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some stats...

**Loot**
    Total Drops:
    Intel 6,300 (145 drops)
    Chrons 5,736 (54 drops)
    Honor 6,578 (67 drops)
    VP 33,900 (98 drops)

133 runs would imply 532 drops (assuming you played at least the first four rounds). You have 526 listed drops there. Thoughts on what you might be missing?

(Note: Not trying to be a jerk. I was checking what your %s were for drop proportions, but noticed the minor discrepancy.)

I chickened out and repaired a few times when rng against the Reliant was particularly bad. I can double check my notes later, but AFAIK I listed everything
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some stats...

**Loot**
    Intel 6,300 (145 drops)
    Chrons 5,736 (54 drops)
    Honor 6,578 (67 drops)
    VP 33,900 (98 drops)

This really puts some perspective on the worthlessness of Intel drops after Skirmish rounds. If they swapped Intel for event ship schematics (probably with a minor tweak to drop rate) I think people wouldn’t dread seeing that icon pop up when claiming bonus rewards. Might also get people to buy more bonus rewards or grind more runs.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Free stuff, all good.
    Using that stuff, MUCH better.
    Grinding=sadness.
    🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Some stats...

**Loot**
    Intel 6,300 (145 drops)
    Chrons 5,736 (54 drops)
    Honor 6,578 (67 drops)
    VP 33,900 (98 drops)

So much for all these calls to reduce the Intel drops - a top 1K finish still doesn't net enough Intel for more than five skirmishes.
    Come join our fleet! We're a great social group that helps each other. You play the way you want to, participate as much as you want and if you want to be competitive, you can be! Check out our fleet ad:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/5023/qh-the-oldest-fleet-in-timelines-l91-starbase-daily-targets-met
    I don't really understand why there are calls to reduce anything. Whinging when DB nerf stuff and whinging when they don't.

It's not the Intel, or the chrons dropping that are pushing play. It's us, the players.

It's a players decision what they choose to spend those chrons on. Personally i spend them on my crew, and end up with a lovely cycle of space battles - Intel - chrons - more space battles etc etc. It's up to me whether I spend chrons or Intel or any of it. it's my decision if I want to go past threshold, or aim for a PB rank, or if I want to just leave the Intel there and spend time with my family.

After a couple of months I became aware that galaxy events shamelessly steal my chrons and so now I go threshold and aim for rank if I want the existing 4* FF (Which, generally I do because I've only around 20 or so 4* crew finished. My fleet generally help me make this decision as to if the ranked is worth it or not)
    Factions I enjoy because although I can't rank better than 3000 I needed the trainers (I won't forget this first few weeks when I had to spend honor to get gold trainers) and of course I recieve lovely faction items.
    Expedition, ok I suppose. Lots of time, nearly put me to sleep, but you know, it was part of a hybrid so I quite enjoyed it.

Skirmish are my absolute favourite. Id prefer that nothing is reduced because I managed to clear 8 slots by immortilising crew, earned around 15,000 in honor, 7000 holoemitters, fully equipped Large Forge and finished the last two tiers of another two legendarys etc etc etc

My personal favourite part was the honor, this meant i could cite Large Forge so with the one I got in a pack and the one I earned from rank he's at 3* For me, as a newish player, its incredible to have that on my voyages. I have only one other 3/5 (Lt Cmmdr Jadzia Dax) and I've Surak and Bashir finished through the two mega events I've been part of.

My other half couldn't tap as much (he has this thing called 15 hr shifts) he ranked at 3000, had tons of Intel left but also had a few thousand chrons which he's spending in his own time. He doesn't feel that he has to spend everything he gets over one event, and he's perfectly happy with that (I'm totally different, I appreciate rank but I've got to beat myself, I will be victorious!!!)

I suppose really it boils down to what you want to do as a player. I play because I love this game. If it becomes a grind, I'll not play, I'm not going to ask for reduced rewards that benefit everyone.

I want to run fewer battles to place in the event. I would prefer that this was done by creating more engaging, difficult battles. As it stands, I ran about 300 tickets, each one pressing the same exact sequence of buttons. If reducing the quantity of chronotons rewarded reduces the number of runs I have to complete to rank where I want to rank, then I'm all for it.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really understand why there are calls to reduce anything. Whinging when DB nerf stuff and whinging when they don't.

It's not the Intel, or the chrons dropping that are pushing play. It's us, the players.

It's a players decision what they choose to spend those chrons on. Personally i spend them on my crew, and end up with a lovely cycle of space battles - Intel - chrons - more space battles etc etc. It's up to me whether I spend chrons or Intel or any of it. it's my decision if I want to go past threshold, or aim for a PB rank, or if I want to just leave the Intel there and spend time with my family.

After a couple of months I became aware that galaxy events shamelessly steal my chrons and so now I go threshold and aim for rank if I want the existing 4* FF (Which, generally I do because I've only around 20 or so 4* crew finished. My fleet generally help me make this decision as to if the ranked is worth it or not)
    Factions I enjoy because although I can't rank better than 3000 I needed the trainers (I won't forget this first few weeks when I had to spend honor to get gold trainers) and of course I recieve lovely faction items.
    Expedition, ok I suppose. Lots of time, nearly put me to sleep, but you know, it was part of a hybrid so I quite enjoyed it.

Skirmish are my absolute favourite. Id prefer that nothing is reduced because I managed to clear 8 slots by immortilising crew, earned around 15,000 in honor, 7000 holoemitters, fully equipped Large Forge and finished the last two tiers of another two legendarys etc etc etc

My personal favourite part was the honor, this meant i could cite Large Forge so with the one I got in a pack and the one I earned from rank he's at 3* For me, as a newish player, its incredible to have that on my voyages. I have only one other 3/5 (Lt Cmmdr Jadzia Dax) and I've Surak and Bashir finished through the two mega events I've been part of.

My other half couldn't tap as much (he has this thing called 15 hr shifts) he ranked at 3000, had tons of Intel left but also had a few thousand chrons which he's spending in his own time. He doesn't feel that he has to spend everything he gets over one event, and he's perfectly happy with that (I'm totally different, I appreciate rank but I've got to beat myself, I will be victorious!!!)

I suppose really it boils down to what you want to do as a player. I play because I love this game. If it becomes a grind, I'll not play, I'm not going to ask for reduced rewards that benefit everyone.

I want to run fewer battles to place in the event. I would prefer that this was done by creating more engaging, difficult battles. As it stands, I ran about 300 tickets, each one pressing the same exact sequence of buttons. If reducing the quantity of chronotons rewarded reduces the number of runs I have to complete to rank where I want to rank, then I'm all for it.

Yes 100%. It amazes me that people like mindlessly pressing the same buttons for hours just because the slot machine gives them pixels. I would much prefer a more engaging battles where you have to think about each matchup to succeed and your eventual rank depends on your skill in crew selection/running matches than the number of times you ran the same exact skirmish.
    edited July 2018
    As a caveat, by so dramatically increasing the chronotons available, it is also substantially increasing player inventories so skirmish chrons are also increasing the item requirements to rank in Galaxy events.

Edit: ...but are also making it "easier" (or at least less painful) to clear Galaxy thresholds.
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to just cut the damn cutscene animations. 2/3rds of the time are spent waiting for the battle to actually start or end. That alone would make these much less time consuming

Actually, that gives me time to browse websites or chat with people in between the mindless button pressing :)
    As a caveat, by so dramatically increasing the chronotons available, it is also substantially increasing player inventories so skirmish chrons are also increasing the item requirements to rank in Galaxy events.

Edit: ...but are also making it "easier" (or at least less painful) to clear Galaxy thresholds.

At first I wanted them to tinker with intel costs instead, but this point is an important one. Now a component of galaxy events is also going hard on the previous skirmish event. I stockpiled 500-1000 of a dozen different components this weekend. Future galaxy events will be even more laborious if playing for rank. As nice as the chrons are for leveling crew, I think they could easily half the chron rewards and Skirmish would remain far and away the most rewarding event type.
  • Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Yes 100%. It amazes me that people like mindlessly pressing the same buttons for hours just because the slot machine gives them pixels. I would much prefer a more engaging battles where you have to think about each matchup to succeed and your eventual rank depends on your skill in crew selection/running matches than the number of times you ran the same exact skirmish.

Isnt it kind of this way with all events? Galaxy events are just repeated clicking to build the same items over and over again. Expeditions seem to involve choosing the highest crew you've got. Faction again, you just use your best crew and repeat the missions (sometimes the same 4 for some players) over and over again.
    Probably because my ship was only a level 7, I did actually have to think about each battle. The first battle was the most difficult, and the third required a different order in which to select crew use to get around the warbirds cloak, otherwise Killy was wasted and I couldn't afford that. Always i needed to watch my timings very carefully or I screwed the entire battle up, lost hull and that had an effect on subsequent battles in that skirmish. I appreciate if I had maxed ships and FF crew I might be bored. However, personally mine still require strategy and thinking, so i find them exciting still.

Seems that a bigger problem is trying to find the correct balance of new players needing a game that's enjoyable and not frustrating because its too difficult for them, and a game that's not too easy for veteran players.

Looking at my rank, they could probably make elite substantially more difficult. However they may suffer backlash from players that aren't able to compete at that level anymore. and i do totally understand your point, I'm happy with what I accompolished but next skirmish I'm aiming for top 1000 and then maintaining that, it is grindy, I'm lucky that I grind for my crew not rank I suppose.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't care about rank, but really wanted as much honor as I could earn. I earned a bunch of honor, immortalized and leveled a bunch of crew who had been waiting a long time for attention, and did it all with very few chronitons. As a side benefit, I did hit above the 1000 mark and got a new 5*.
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    As with each of the other event types, skirmishes seem to be quite polarizing. My fleet clearly hated it - only had 4 players below 1000 (for a fleet that usually has 10-15 below 1000 in every event). I finished 162nd, because, like @DavideBooks , I was playing for honor (and not the Klingon kind) and La Forge. So I just kept running battles until I got too bored to do more. On day 3, I revised my crew from an balanced-skills mix to an uber-aggressive mix and got though battles much more quickly - should have done that sooner, but no matter. I earned 15K honor from the event and have no complaints about that.

I understand the point about wanting to run fewer battles to achieve target rank, but with all the chrons available in voyages, running hundreds of battles is unavoidable, just as building hundreds of recipes is unavoidable in galaxy events (if trying for rank). As for making crew/ship selection more strategic - no thanks, not until they improve the PITA crew selection screen, which I don't see happening.

A final point - with the vp totals I saw on the leaderboard, DB isn't likely to change the way this event works. Engagement among at least a subset of the player base is quite high - what more can a company want? Like the other event types, individual players will either embrace skirmishes, or they won't.
  • Oh I think they were playing, just not in the same way most did....!
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're assuming the players atop the leader board were actually...playing...

So, yeah, I was - naively, it seems. But after Frank's post... not as much any more. :o
  • Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're assuming the players atop the leader board were actually...playing...

So, yeah, I was - naively, it seems. But after Frank's post... not as much any more. :o

Have to admit I was the same, and posted as much on Facebook (where a similar discussion took place) however I have to admit the VP does seem a little overwhelming (overwhelming is totally not the right word but I can't find the one I mean) 😕
  • I think the bigger issue beyond the data, are the people that are openly discussing their use of macro. Even without the data, specific people bragging about their macro use prove that it's real.