Home The Bridge
Options

Event Ranked Rewards Change - post questions/feedback here.

Comments

• Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    This new change honestly makes no sense to me. Can someone explain?

For example, I really want Gloria, do I have to do well in the “Nog” event the week before to even have a shot at her?
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    am7cwzlfmlnm.gif
  • Options
    mejoyhmejoyh ✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Around Page 4 I think Athena suggested something like putting both 5*s in the ranked rewards.

This or putting one in threshold the other in rank are the only things that make any sense at all.

That way there is over lapping coverage, incentive to play both (all weeks) but it won't be the end of the world of you don't.

Players benefit by getting to earn 2*'s of a 5 .
    For -this- player that makes me more likely to pull packs or buy cards.

My head feels like it's gonna blow just trying to figure out who's who, what's where and when should I care about why.

Need a +$$-&_# Murder Board to figure out when to play.

This is an even less intelligent move then knee capping Yar.

Players are already fatigued by your actions and inactions over the last year,
    We've been asking for 18 months to a change in structure to make it percentage graduating scale instead of impossible top heavy deadlock 1000 cut off.

And this is what you do.
    It feels like who ever is making these choices has lost all touch and insight as to what the player base wants, likes, will tolerate.

(Shakes head)

Do what you want db.
    I'm tired of this

Bro, I TOTALLY awesome this comment. You hit it right on. On top of it, this is confusing and takes way more planning than should be necessary for a mobile game. And this is coming from someone who plays constantly. It’s like playing a game of poker to win next hands pot while using last hands cards

I second this.

It appears on overall feedback so far, this is not a positive change. This has a strong feel of a knee jerk/half baked idea...

The reason why people don't feel rewarded to play past 1000th is not because they cant its because the 5* character is not worth playing for and no one wants to waste crew slots on another useless 1/5*

This change does absolutely nothing to change that. This is compounded by the fact that you are not telling people what they are playing for by not reveling stats of the 5* for the next week.

If you wanted to test this feature then you didn't need to go whole hog into it, there is a very strong call/need to smooth out the reward gap between 26th-1000th place. If you really wanted to incentivise players, @FutureImperfecta and @Athena have the best suggestion. Put next week's 5* into the top 500 bracket reward. That will actually incentivise players to go past 1000 for the chance of a 2/5 character. Most 1/5 characters cant beat a FF 4* character. But a 2/5 character will be a meaningfully better character card which could replace a FF 4* and alleviate the crew slot shortage.
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    This new change honestly makes no sense to me. Can someone explain?

For example, I really want Gloria, do I have to do well in the “Nog” event the week before to even have a shot at her?

You will get Gloria if you place top 1000 in the Nog event. Nobody gets a Nog except people pulling packs.
  • Options
    This change also affects chroniton stockpiles. They will put the best characters as part of faction events. However, we will have to earn them the week before during a Galaxy event.

All of a sudden, galaxy 4/4 threshold and out will disappear and people will have to drop 20k chronitons or more to compete and earn the 1000th spot for the most desired characters in a galaxy and only use them to pick up an average character the following week. They are giving away more resources but we will have to burn more to compete.
  • Options
    Elynduil wrote: »
    So, no mega legendary in ranked? We get a week before?
    So basicly you have made legendary crew even harder to get unless people buy event packs. It was nice to earn the 4/5 needed before being able to save the honour to max out a legendary crew. Now you have just made it that unless you buy a load of packs, you get nothing.
    So at the end of a mega the best I can hope for without buying packs is four old 1/5 golds instead of a new 4/5 gold with better stats?

Hard pass. These mega events were the closest most of us could possibly hope to get a FF legendary, and one that’s actually useful.

Where is all this coming from?

As far as I can interpret this, there is no change to the featured 4/5 Mega Legendary crew who we can all still get through thresholds at 30K or whatever it is each week during the Mega.

This change should only impact the new ranked 5* crew in each event where the top 1000 this week will get a copy in the RANKED rewards at the end that will be the 5* the following week in that event (regardless of whether it’s a mega event or not).

Or am I completely reading this wrong?

No, I don't think you are reading it incorrectly. But you are actually reading, whereas... :smirk:
    So where is Nog?

Slipped between the Timelines somewhere. Gonna be hard to find that one
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    There's a definite domino / waterfall effect that makes picking and choosing events more complex. Suppose that there's at some point an event where I will want to go all out on 4 accounts, like I did for Sato. It used to be that I could wait until that event and just go nuts. Now, I have to consistently weigh the odds of that event appearing sometime in the future because:

Week 1 - Galaxy. Skip. But gold given for:
    Week 2 - Faction. Performance impacted by skipping galaxy because don't have the gold.
    Week 3 - Hybrid. Performance impacted by skipping week 1 galaxy because couldn't rank for the gold again.
    Week 4 - New OP Gold Event. Performance impacted by 1-4 above.

If the new default is "just like buy it or hit 1k every week," that's not sustainable for the vast majority of people.

I'm one of those people who usually buys the $100 pack. Let me tell you guys something. That does not guaranteed a fully fused gold. Shocking, I know. Right now, I'm sitting on a 4/5 Ugly Mother Tucker and I'm counting on this event to fully fuse him. If I didn't have that option, he'd probably sit 4/5 in perpetuity.

I'm not sure who this is supposed to help, because I see this hurting my VIP0 and mid-level spending accounts immensely and also not being the heralded tax cut for Silver.

I do not see the logic of your progression. Currently, you only get the legendary for the current event during the current event by spending on event packs and getting lucky or spending $100 for 2 guaranteed legendary plus packs that make one or 2 more likely. This gives those who do not spend like that a chance to get a legendary they can actually use in short order even if it is at 1 star. Until now, if I took a chance for that legendary it was a decision totally independent of the event. Now i will have a potential reason to care in a galaxy event that is followed by a faction event. Under the current system, I take off most galaxy events. Heck, for galaxy and skirmish you can even wait till Friday to see if you care. And for faction, even those who are doing "threshold and out" will know the next week's crew before they finish threshold. Shan: one add that would make it perfect - announce crew stats on Friday when the next event is announced rather than waiting till the packs come out the following Wednesday.
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    This change also affects chroniton stockpiles. They will put the best characters as part of faction events. However, we will have to earn them the week before during a Galaxy event.

All of a sudden, galaxy 4/4 threshold and out will disappear and people will have to drop 20k chronitons or more to compete and earn the 1000th spot for the most desired characters in a galaxy and only use them to pick up an average character the following week. They are giving away more resources but we will have to burn more to compete.

There's really no "have to" about it, though. The following week's Legendary will still be available in event packs that come out the Wednesday prior to the event for which that Legendary is bonus crew. So people who would have bought event packs in the past, in order to acquire bonus crew for an upcoming event, can still do that. Nothing about that has changed.

The only difference is people will now potentially have an extra few days to level up the Legendary for the following weekend's event (if they choose to go for a top 1000 rank, rather than buying packs 2 days later). The way it is now, that Legendary would not have served any event purpose, as it would've been awarded after its event had ended. At least in the future, it will have additional utility (i.e., as event bonus crew) other than normal use in other parts of the game. (Not to mention that many of the players shooting for a high rank often already have the event Legendary FF, so in that case, getting additional copies at the end of the event is honestly sort of dumb.) Overall it solves several problems, imo, while at the same time encouraging more engagement each weekend from the player base — which is of course good for DB, but I think also good for us, as it keeps people more interested.

I agree that it will be good for DB since they have more time to sell packs and they will try to engage their player base that for a while has somewhat seemed to disengage slightly from the game. Also, the idea of having crew being more useful is an intriguing one.

All I am saying is that events will now be two weeks long and we will inevitably face two issues.
    The first is that top 1000 in galaxy events will require more participation and inevitably double or triple the chroniton tap tap tap. This will cause the second issue which is more player fatigue.

More content like chapters, voyages arena etc are what I hear people asking for, not longer events. Many people already have hundreds of characters, they don't need more. They want something to do with them other than events (which are fun, don't get me wrong). Events over and over by themselves, chasing characters through the same three event type, get less interesting the longer you play.
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »

There's really no "have to" about it, though. The following week's Legendary will still be available in event packs that come out the Wednesday prior to the event for which that Legendary is bonus crew. So people who would have bought event packs in the past, in order to acquire bonus crew for an upcoming event, can still do that. Nothing about that has changed.

The only difference is people will now potentially have an extra few days to level up the Legendary for the following weekend's event (if they choose to go for a top 1000 rank, rather than buying packs 2 days later). The way it is now, that Legendary would not have served any event purpose, as it would've been awarded after its event had ended. At least in the future, it will have additional utility (i.e., as event bonus crew) other than normal use in other parts of the game. (Not to mention that many of the players shooting for a high rank often already have the event Legendary FF, so in that case, getting additional copies at the end of the event is honestly sort of dumb.) Overall it solves several problems, imo, while at the same time encouraging more engagement each weekend from the player base — which is of course good for DB, but I think also good for us, as it keeps people more interested.

I agree that it will be good for DB since they have more time to sell packs and they will try to engage their player base that for a while has somewhat seemed to disengage slightly from the game. Also, the idea of having crew being more useful is an intriguing one.

All I am saying is that events will now be two weeks long and we will inevitably face two issues.
    The first is that top 1000 in galaxy events will require more participation and inevitably double or triple the chroniton tap tap tap. This will cause the second issue which is more player fatigue.

More content like chapters, voyages arena etc are what I hear people asking for, not longer events. Many people already have hundreds of characters, they don't need more. They want something to do with them other than events (which are fun, don't get me wrong). Events over and over by themselves, chasing characters through the same three event type, get less interesting the longer you play.

Agreed about more content. Voyages for example. Keeps entertainment running through the week. Dailies are a bit meh because they're just repetitive. I do find Tuesday to Thursday a bit of a bore, it would be fun to have something else happening then, or to give voyages a boost on those days somehow, like a Wednesday mini-event involving voyages somehow to keep the interest up.

I'm still not sure about rolling events, to be honest if they were cut down to 3 days the VP wouldn't be so intense and the ranked rewards would come closer to threshold rewards making a revamped system of rewards easier to implement without cutting into DB' so profits.
  • Options
    I like this idea.
    In the current format I could get the Legendary before the event if I spend money (I don't spend 100 euro to do that :) ) or if I spend dilithium (I have for 1-2 pulls and it's a slim chance.). If i like the legendary I fight for it but I will received it after the event. I could level it in a couple of days or keep it at level 1 for undetermined time (I have a long list of crew to level, I'm not in the point to have all of them ready and don't know what to do :) )
    With this changes I could get a Legendary and use it in the next event without spend money/dilithium. And use it in the next event increasing my chance to another Legendary.
    So for 6-10 month players, monthly card buyers/10 euro offer buyers, getting rank 750-1500 in events I think it's a good change.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Starting with "Pygmalion", the Hybrid event that will kick off our upcoming Mega-Event, the ranked rewards will no longer include the featured Legendary crew for the current event. Instead, ranked rewards will include the Legendary crew featured in the next event.

So if I understand this correctly... then that means:
    Mega event Begins
    October 4 Pygmalion - Ranked gold is for Oct 11th event, Tuxedo Nog will be available via packs only
    October 11 Galaxy event - Ranked gold reward is for Oct 18th event
    October 18 What Is a Man - Ranked gold reward is for Oct 25th event
    October 25 Captain Proton to the Rescue - Ranked gold reward is for Nov 1st event and has nothing whatsoever to do with this current mega event
    Mega event Ends

Am I understanding this correctly?

That's correct. Plus, the recurring Legendary will also be in the threshold rewards each week of the mega.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    This is actually a clever strategy by DB by making more of their 5*s more appealing.

Let’s say you hate Reed, and an event comes out where he is the 5*. Under the old way, you might just skip the event, or just “threshold and out”. But what if next week is a new Full Frontal Nude Jadzia 5* that you absolutely must have. And Reed is going to provide a bonus... still just wanna threshold and out?

———

At first I was a little upset by the change... But now I’ve had time to think about it I’m not sure it impacts me too much.

I don’t often buy event packs, so there are times that I’m competing and winning a 5* in an event without having that 5* available during the event.

But if I do win the 5*, it would be nice to use it the following week.

I can understand DBs logic. It does encourage the purchase of event packs from someone who only buys them occasionally like me. Only now it will encourage me to buy packs in the week following a top 1000 finish in the hopes of dropping the 2nd copy (and perhaps instead getting a 4* for the upcoming event).

Let’s say in week X the featured crew are:
    Sisko 5*
    Riker 4 *
    Data 4*
    (With Picard 5* giving a bonus as he was last weeks 5*)

If I win a Sisko 5* in this event, I know he’ll be useful next week. And when the packs come out with him in, I’d be more tempted to buy them in the hopes of 2/5 my Sisko.

Let’s say I do buy one, but instead of a Sisko I get a 4* Kira. Ok, my Sisko is still useful, and at least I have a head start on another useful event crew.

Week Y:
    Janeway 5*
    Kira 4*
    Dax 4*

I don’t really care for this Janeway. And I’m away on holiday next week. I should be able to finish high enough to FF my Kira and Dax though cos of my Sisko and Kira bonuses.

TL;DR
    If you only buy packs occasionally, you’ll still have pretty much the same outcome in events except your 5*s will get more use.
  • Options
    KTzKTz ✭✭✭
    There is a link with rewards/event? I see the crew is already know.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    I agree with those saying that we need to know more than just the stats of the legendaries. We also need to know a bit about the event for which they will be bonus crew. Plus their battle abilities. Why should I try for a top 1000 finish for a so-so 1/5 if I don't know whether the following event (the one for which they will be bonus crew) will be a Galaxy, Skirmish, Faction or Hybrid Event or whether the 4* crew in the ranked rewards for that event is one I particularly want? The type of event for which they will be a bonus does make a difference. And I'm usually after good 4/4s. 1/5s only interest me if they are good enough to use honour on to FF, and very few are worth that. I'm not going to try hard to get a 1/5 just for the sake of getting another 1/5.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    My initial reaction to this is that it's a positive change - *finally* the 5 star will have an opportunity to do more than just sit in my inventory. Sure, with the old method a reward of Emperor Georgiou would be guaranteed to get future event play, but when she's sitting at 1/5 I have 4/4s with better stats, so truth be told I still haven't leveled her, even though I fought hard to get her because I love the character. If I had gotten her knowing she would get a bonus three days after I won her, guaranteed she would've been FE within the three days before the next event started.

I really feel like it all comes down to communication again - the announcement put all of its energy into explaining the mechanics of the change, burying the lead which was "hey, we want you to get more out of your rewards." Pitchforks were already raised before (if) many of the readers got to the developers comments. Heck, I wonder how many people even saw the confirmation about reruns.

This isn't a terrible idea - but this community has been hurt time and time again, so we're just looking for reasons to get angry. I genuinely feel like if DB could get better at the "why" part, people would genuinely appreciate most of the changes that have been passed recently.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    You've made a lot of mistakes, DB, but this is really bad.

And what's even worse is you had time to think about this, actually think, and still messed up just for a shameless money grab attempt.
  • Options
    [SoCo] Matze[SoCo] Matze ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Since events will become far more competitive meaning you will have to send shuttles every 90 mins for 4 days straight in faction events (double rewards on thursday), burn 10k+ chrons in galaxy events and actually grind skirmish events this will cause a lot of burnout in the long term.
    DB should really consider to shorten the events to compensate this at least for factions and skirmish events or change rewards so top 3000 get the legendary or something loke that.
  • Options
    Right now you win a 5 star from playing an event. It immediately has 0 use. The usefulness is having it before the event to utilize it.

Having to hold a 1/5 for a month or two is pretty crappy. Even if you airlock it for space having it for the relevant event is best.

That said chaining them together forces you to play the game more. Skipping an event would cost you a single character, not cripple you so completely that you can't win, it just had its price.
  • Options
    Honestly this is a good change if it can be implemented right.

Noq is pack only? Well so is EV suit 7. This will only be an issue for the first event. Honestly a free noq to offset this is ideal but it's a one time inconvience.

Cost too much to be first to max ? Have them open packs the second the event ends and leave them open before the event. I can see people dumping there dilithium Monday morning instead of Wednesday.
  • Options
    Emmett K wrote: »
    Honestly this is a good change if it can be implemented right.

Noq is pack only? Well so is EV suit 7. This will only be an issue for the first event. Honestly a free noq to offset this is ideal but it's a one time inconvience.

Cost too much to be first to max ? Have them open packs the second the event ends and leave them open before the event. I can see people dumping there dilithium Monday morning instead of Wednesday.

Could be fixed by having Trip On The Ropes as being bonus for next week's event. Kind of makes sense, unless we get a free Nog in the post
  • Options
    Just a quick question @Shan or @JazzRiker.

7fjqozpkqvfk.jpg

Am I reading too much significance into the statement 'this is the only change to the ranked rewards structure at this time'?
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a quick question @Shan or @JazzRiker.

7fjqozpkqvfk.jpg

Am I reading too much significance into the statement 'this is the only change to the ranked rewards structure at this time'?

They probably added this to answer the obvious follow up question in advance. Kind of like they've gotten in the habit of being explicit about which Dax-based characters apply for Dax events.

It also shows it's something they have at least thought about (and/or heard) but aren't willing to do that yet.
  • Options
    Personally, I intentionally stay out of top 1000 in events for quite some time now as I have plenty of barely usable 1/5s clogging my crew slots. I even still keep last 3 free legendaries sitting in my inbox for the same reason.

So this change doesn't seem to affect you.

• Options
    Emmett K wrote: »
    Personally, I intentionally stay out of top 1000 in events for quite some time now as I have plenty of barely usable 1/5s clogging my crew slots. I even still keep last 3 free legendaries sitting in my inbox for the same reason.

So this change doesn't seem to affect you.

You're pretty much right.
    Still, I'd like to have an incentive to fight for top 1000 but this change is definitely not making it. Getting featured legendary and being slightly more competitive in the following event still doesn't solve uselessness of that crew afterwards, it only adds up to ongoing problem of having too many 1/5s and general honor debt.