Home The Bridge
Options

Event Ranked Rewards Change - post questions/feedback here.

Comments

• Options
    shahekee wrote: »
    My idea would be to put the crew in the threshold the week they're event crew. Maybe like 300K for Faction and 400K for Galaxy?

That's not a bad idea. It would make this work a bit better I think.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    Webberoni wrote: »
    I think this is all a ploy to eliminate the skipping of events, or threshold-and-out on galaxy events.

Oh, it definitely is. However, in sheer defiance, it will not keep me from either.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    I'm wondering about one thing.

Why are people so into this that you NEED to have an even crew to manage topp 1k?

In about 70% of all event in 2018, I've manage topp 1k without having a legendary event crew.
    Do I spend money? No, only monthly card. And I know alot of other people manage the same as me (players in Section 14)

So I don't really see the problem "everyone" complaining about. Money spender, keep spending money. Either to get all or just one 5* before event even starts. Prize? Well, rather then airlock the 5* you just got, maybe use him/her for next event. So Yes, maybe "push" players to spend more money to keep going?

Players like myself, just work hard. Maybe get an legendary. Hooraayy. I might use him/her for next event. If not, too bad.

Lets try this system out first before screaming out loud that this sux
  • Options
    it only adds up to ongoing problem of having too many 1/5s and general honor debt.

--snip--
    Before you will add the crew slot situation: Simply level and freeze your superrares efficiently, yet another problem solved.

That's exactly what I'm doing. Sitting on 175 slots and having 250 immortalized including all 1, 2 and 3 *, I actually don't have crew slot problem as I'm carefully picking which events I'm going into and how far. I don't pull packs, even the free ones, until I'm sure that I can make at least 1-2 slots available for possible new crew. I slowly fuse up my existing crew from voyage drops or citations and I can keep all the new ones I don't have yet. I haven't airlocked any superare in a long time.

However, I don't remember when I was going for top 1000 last time because of reasons I explained above, even for those amazing legendaries because they wouldn't add enough value to my existing crew being 1/5. You can call me casual but dedicated player. But, with the direction in which the game is going, there's a thin line between being casual player and being fed up with all of it because there's not much to do unless I pay way more than I can afford.

Events should be a highlight of every game, with all player base happily competing for as best rank as they can, knowing that their effort will pay off accordingly. But with the current rewards setup, STT events are missing that point by far and they are trying to force players to compete in events with this change instead of complete rework of ranked rewards.
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    They can't get us to spend on an event that we skip, so this is one way of coercing us into playing. Not the best way, but maybe the easiest for DB to implement. They can spin it as an "creating exciting and engaging experience", but we'll be the judge of that.
  • Options
    The current event is the first event where I've decided to cease spending. It's actually been liberating. The new event structure has made it a lot easier to continue to hold off on spending. Now I can just enjoy the game/fleet without worrying about events. That removes a lot of pressure from the game. :)
  • Options
    I don't see how they force you to play one event. If you like the Legendary you play the event which have it in rank tedious or not. You will not play one event because in the next one they have cool item recipes, excellent ship battles or intriguing shuttle missions. :)
    It will be the same game, only difference is that you could use the fresh Legendary in the next event.
    It will be cool if they keep this in all events, not only in the Mega.
  • Options
    NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    So far, to me, this makes sense. This is my take on things.

As many have already stated, the prizes (ranked and threshold) themselves are most useful during the event themselves. So the ranked rewards are the least rewarding in terms of helping for the event they are being rewarded for. What DB is trying to do is make the rewards a little more useful. This makes sense.

The first event is definitely the oddball one, where you are potentially going in without the previous reward to help. I get where a lot of recommendations are coming from, saying DB should basically "seed" this event by giving everyone a freebee 5*. If the first event wasn't a hybrid where the 4/4 can be achieved from thresholds/community rewards, I would have said "give everyone a 4*", but in this case, that last 4* would likely just be honor. It doesn't seem completely unreasonable to toss the 5* out, especially since this is DB trying something new.

That being said...

For those who buys packs: Effectively this is a small change during the event. They are going to continue to buy packs. They will get the same advantage during the event they previously had, with the small caveat that they might have also gotten a 5* that will help the following week. (edit: and as mentioned below, it might actually save them some money depending on where they score).

For those who don't buy packs: Again, effectively this is a small change during. They are going to continue to not buy packs. They are still going to generally place the same place they usually do. The biggest difference being they might end with a 5* that is useful the following week.

For the long run, this change makes sense to me. We've said the reward structure doesn't make a lot of sense (whales who have FFFE 5* getting rewarded even more of them...) What's funny is it might actually reduce pack purchasing, since after that first round, if the winners already have the 5* FFFE, it seems less likely they will buy more packs.
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    it only adds up to ongoing problem of having too many 1/5s and general honor debt.

Honor debt is a self inflicted problem/mindset. Cause when you approach things like that the focus is on worrying about things you don´t have. Instead of enjoying what you do have.

Furthermore most 1/5 legendaries are on line or even better than most 4/4 super rares (of course there are some very powerful superrares and some crappy legendaries, but also some legendaries who even at 1/5 have an amazing base like Professor Sato, Doctor Culber etc.). And in case they give a bonus in an event they can be very useful.

Before you will add the crew slot situation: Simply level and freeze your superrares efficiently, yet another problem solved.

It is easy to always blame DB for whatever, but it is more efficient to make the most out of the personal playstyle, resources available etc.

Agree 100% about careful slots management (I am currently at 189/205 even with all but three holograms and all 4* Tuckers and Qs out of the freezer) but I will have to push back on your assertion that most 1/5*s are better than most 4/4*s.

I currently have 46 1/5* crew. Of these 46, the following get regular, if infrequent, usage:

Gauntlet: 9
    Shuttles: 2
    Voyages: 11

There is some overlap here, so only 15 really get used. If I expand the list to include 2/5* and 3/5* (I have no 4/5*s right now), I have 61 partially fused legendaries. Of those additional 16, only seven more see regular action. There are 22 4/4* crew I regularly use, mostly for shuttles and voyages but a few are useful yet in the gauntlet.

Unless they are proficiency-heavy or super power creeped, 1/5* through 3/5* legendaries are of limited use at best.
  • Options

Furthermore most 1/5 legendaries are on line or even better than most 4/4 super rares (of course there are some very powerful superrares and some crappy legendaries, but also some legendaries who even at 1/5 have an amazing base like Professor Sato, Doctor Culber etc.). And in case they give a bonus in an event they can be very useful.

The reality is that the average 1/5 not on par with the average 4/4, especially for voyages. In most cases, you need 3/5 to be on par with a good 4/4 for voyages, and we have had enough good 4/4 in the last 6-8 months to make most 1/5 cards irrelevant. Most 1/5 cards come in around 2100 (the older ones are worse) combined average score whereas the average 4/4 is over 2200 (I have at least 20 that are active on my roster over 2300 and my roster isn't the best either) and only a small number of legendaries can surpass this.

The only exception being the occasional 1/5 with a super high 1/5 base but they again they generally need to be 3/5 to surpass the significant number of good base score 4/4 that exist in the game. Sato and Culber are the exception at legendary, not the rule. Getting the 1/5 every week only causes crew slot issues unless you can sufficiently get them higher (3/5 or better) than the plethora of good 4/4 in the game.

The only time a 1/5 is useful is as a bonus crew, but again most average 1/5 base stats aren't better than an average 4/4.
  • Options
    I'm not happy at basically having no chance to earn Nog - but otherwise I actually think this isn't a bad idea.

The whole fact that there's a good chance you'll have bought something and the prize is then to win the thing you already have has always been a bit weird.
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    The changes may have some small positives, but there are issues too. We will need to see all of the details and crew stats for the following event so we can decide if we want to commit or not. I’m willing to give it a go and see.

(BIG) BUT... This is totally off the mark in trying to resolve one of the issues that players have been highlighting for over a year now. Since events began, the reward structures have not been adjusted for the increase in player base size. Aiming for a top 25 or even top 1000 is now a multiple (I don’t want to speculate on numbers) of times harder than it was originally.

DB are probably looking at the revenue and thinking ‘as long as it’s going up we’re happy’ when the question should be - is it going up in proportion to the player base size? A lot of people don’t put effort in because there’s simply not enough reasonable pay off below rank 25th. That’s wasted opportunity for people to spend dil and buy more packs.

The way to fix this is to widen out the final reward thresholds. Encourage people to play for top 500 so they can win 2 x featured golds, for example.

It's that BUT that has kept and keeps me spending less money and effort on the game. The ROI is constantly shrinking, and the rewards becoming harder to obtain or not worth obtaining at all. Event rewards need to be significantly expanded.
    Then we get into limited crew slots.
    Then we get into limited item slots.

Without more changes, this is only going to further erode the value of the game an put additional strain on the limits.

The good news is Tipping Point understands business better and seems to be more generous with rewards than Disruptor Beam.
    The bad news is their changes may take too long to keep many people's, mine included, interest. And I'm not going to spend a nickel in their new CCG when this one is full of these problems.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    After sleeping on it, I am less concerned with this new reward structure for mega events, but don't really like it for standard events. At least in mega events, with the recurring 5* crew, most people are already a lot more invested in the week-by-week play (especially when more crew and/or traits are consistent from week to week, as they were in the earlier mega events).

Having said that, even during mega events, it is still a little awkward. A mega event will now technically start the week prior to the mega event, since the first mega 5* will the ranked reward. The last event within the mega event will be rewarding you with a crew member not the least bit related to the mega event, which seems a little disjointed.
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    So here’s my problem. I go out every month and a half, two months for a crew I really want. To get that crew, I will have to do well in the event before which means, especially in a Galaxy or Skirmish, that I will have to buy the crew from the week before that I don’t even want! Then the next week, I don’t know for sure where I will place. Anywhere below third and I’ll have to buy an offer to ensure I get the one I want immortalized. Then I could end up with more copies of next weeks I want, or not enough copies, I just won’t kniw. So I’m being enticed to buy crew I don’t want just to be unsure about if I’m going to get what I want the next week? I think. Wait. What?

In thinking more about this, I realize another point. Say I don’t want the crew the week after the crew I do want? Then I purchased, because I’m not spending my resources winning, crew the week before, crew I DID NOT WANT, to have event crew for the next week to win what I want. Previous event crew then becomes worthless to me. So after I win the crew I want, I use them for next week bonus crew. If that is crew I don’t want I don’t even care about having bonus crew. So essentially, the only crew I really wanted is COMPLETELY event worthless to me cuz they become bonus crew for an event I don’t want to participate in

wow... this is a VERY good point. A crew you really want, could be entirely useless to you as event bonus crew in an event you're not interested in participating in (or can't because you have life commitments).
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    So here’s my problem. I go out every month and a half, two months for a crew I really want. To get that crew, I will have to do well in the event before which means, especially in a Galaxy or Skirmish, that I will have to buy the crew from the week before that I don’t even want! Then the next week, I don’t know for sure where I will place. Anywhere below third and I’ll have to buy an offer to ensure I get the one I want immortalized. Then I could end up with more copies of next weeks I want, or not enough copies, I just won’t kniw. So I’m being enticed to buy crew I don’t want just to be unsure about if I’m going to get what I want the next week? I think. Wait. What?

In thinking more about this, I realize another point. Say I don’t want the crew the week after the crew I do want? Then I purchased, because I’m not spending my resources winning, crew the week before, crew I DID NOT WANT, to have event crew for the next week to win what I want. Previous event crew then becomes worthless to me. So after I win the crew I want, I use them for next week bonus crew. If that is crew I don’t want I don’t even care about having bonus crew. So essentially, the only crew I really wanted is COMPLETELY event worthless to me cuz they become bonus crew for an event I don’t want to participate in

wow... this is a VERY good point. A crew you really want, could be entirely useless to you as event bonus crew in an event you're not interested in participating in (or can't because you have life commitments).

This happens today for every event. A crew you really want is useless once the event is over(unless there are uses outside the event). Now the crew you want has a use the following week. If you can't play that following week, well nothing changed from the way things currently work. But if you can/do play the following week, then the crew you wanted has a use it never had before.
  • Options
    PolPol ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

This is true! Good point
  • Options
    I guess some of you who have big stockpiles of chrons, buying a pack and getting a gold, you're used to rapidly leveling an event crew legendary in time for the event. For earlier players like me who typically only have up to 1 week of chrons stockpiled for a galaxy event, this change is brutal. Now if I want to try and compete in the galaxy event, I need to level up a legendary during the week before it. So, I'll have almost zero opportunity to save up chrons for galaxy events. Like they were not hard enough already to compete in???
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I guess some of you who have big stockpiles of chrons, buying a pack and getting a gold, you're used to rapidly leveling an event crew legendary in time for the event. For earlier players like me who typically only have up to 1 week of chrons stockpiled for a galaxy event, this change is brutal. Now if I want to try and compete in the galaxy event, I need to level up a legendary during the week before it. So, I'll have almost zero opportunity to save up chrons for galaxy events. Like they were not hard enough already to compete in???

I’m in the exact same boat as you. No big stockpile and save up a week or so in advance. Except I think three days to level a lengendary is pretty easy without blowing through a lot of Chron. Firstly, I still have farmed reserves of the Galaxy items in reserve (generally at least 100-200 of the harder items). Second, that means I generally have no problem leveling a legendary to 70-80 without doing anything at all. Three days of ad warps for hard to drop 4* items along with replicator easily gets the job done without blowing Chron.
  • Options
    I'm not competitive for ranked 5*'s but it always seemed weird to me that events were set up so that the reward at the end was something that you already had to buy in order to be competitive. This reward structure makes a lot more sense to me. The only weird part is that db is making the change during a mega in which the 5* from the previous week has a reasonable chance of being useful for upcoming weeks anyways.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m in the exact same boat as you. No big stockpile and save up a week or so in advance. Except I think three days to level a lengendary is pretty easy without blowing through a lot of Chron. Firstly, I still have farmed reserves of the Galaxy items in reserve (generally at least 100-200 of the harder items). Second, that means I generally have no problem leveling a legendary to 70-80 without doing anything at all. Three days of ad warps for hard to drop 4* items along with replicator easily gets the job done without blowing Chron.

3 days = 12 replicator uses at minimum. That's the final 70-100 items. If you can level a legendary to 70, you can finish them in 3 days spending 0 additional chrons or items.
  • Options
    Running out of crew to level is an excellent way to start stockpiling chrons... Has to happen to everyone, eventually...
    [GoT] Drunk Shimoda
    GoT Chief Communications Officer
  • Options
    I'm wondering about one thing.

Why are people so into this that you NEED to have an even crew to manage topp 1k?

In about 70% of all event in 2018, I've manage topp 1k without having a legendary event crew.
    Do I spend money? No, only monthly card. And I know alot of other people manage the same as me (players in Section 14)

That was when the top 1k players from the previous event didn't all have the legendary 3x bonus crew going into it.

Active long term players with deepish to deep rosters might still be able to crack top 1k without it, but more people will have it already - and therefore will be more push to get it ourselves to deal with the added competition.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

This happens today for every event. A crew you really want is useless once the event is over(unless there are uses outside the event). Now the crew you want has a use the following week. If you can't play that following week, well nothing changed from the way things currently work. But if you can/do play the following week, then the crew you wanted has a use it never had before.

The flaw in your logic is the crew that I DID want is NOT useless once the event is over. The last two event crew I went after and immortalized are Rev. Phlox and Prof. Sato. They have been extremely valuable members of my crew since.

• Options
    problems there are,
    ideas from the toilet you have,
    flush you should have,

its not like the lower level players will be much effected
    not like any but the top 1000 players have any chance.
    that is not even 1% of your total player base to get even a single copy.
    for the top rung players, it will just give a bit more advantage
    by allowing them a full week to level the coming event Crew before the event starts.
    DB needs to fire the Ferrengi and higher more Engineers, Rom doesn't count.
    [FSC] Peace Keepers
    Gryphon [****] Adm
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    problems there are,
    flush you should have,

by allowing them a full week to level the coming event Crew before the event starts.

I don’t need that advantage. Any crew I get I have FE in like two minutes

• Options
    Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    problems there are,
    flush you should have,

I don’t need that advantage. Any crew I get I have FE in like two minutes

Cha-ching, baby!
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    As others have already pointed out, to make this work we should get all info on the following event (including the ranked 5* reward in that event) on Wednesday, together with the information for the current week's event.

If that's the case, I think it could be a good change.