Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about event: Might Makes Right - 01/31 (Mega-Event Part 1)

Comments

• Options
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Kol should have SCI. It takes smarts to turn Starfleet crew into good food.

Lol. Alas, that whole eating Georgiou’s remains was actually done by Voq and L’Rell. Kol just came in WAY later when they were on the point of starving again and gave them real Klingon food.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Just gotta read the fine print. And maybe the rest of it too...

Bonus crew:
    • high bonus: event crew
    • small bonus: variants of Georgiou, L'Rell, Garak, and Discovery crew.

In this case, i think the question was will she count in the three weeks following. Kol and Number One are listed, but Chancellor L'Rell and Section 31 Georgiou are not.

My assumption would be yes - they were bound to miss at least one on that long list. Any idea @Shan?
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol. Alas, that whole eating Georgiou’s remains was actually done by Voq and L’Rell. Kol just came in WAY later when they were on the point of starving again and gave them real Klingon food.

And then they started eating their own people..........
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    Sorry, Shan, I feel like I'm being nit-picky, but will Chancellor L'Rell count as "Discovery Crew" for the rest of the Mega?
    Just gotta read the fine print. And maybe the rest of it too...

Bonus crew:
    • high bonus: event crew
    • small bonus: variants of Georgiou, L'Rell, Garak, and Discovery crew.

There's about to be a four-week "Mega-Event" in Star Trek: Timelines. There are some more details here. When I say "the rest of the Mega", I'm referring to the three events that follow next week's event and make up the rest of this "Mega-Event".

It is quite unlikely that variants of Garak are going to have a bonus for the rest of the month!
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Particularly because she was in ONE episode, with arguably poor writing. Also, as much as the forum makes it seem otherwise from all the discussion, every poll shows TOS is not one of the more popular series.

Just my 2 cents...

A) Because the one episode is the FIRST episode, without which NONE of the full series or movies are made. (Yes, I know The Cage was a pilot and not technically the first broadcast episode - but the point is the same.)

B) Because her portrayal of Number One is a template for how the other ST second-in-command characters were all foils in various ways to the lead characters. Perhaps this is not an unusual writing/acting approach, but it nonetheless formed the basis for future interactions in the ST universe. After all, they could have written the roles as being in lock-step with the Captains/Commanders every time, with only the tertiary characters acting as foils, but how boring would that have been?

C) For some, it's simply because she was Gene's future wife, and that's enough.

D) Polls? What polls? On this forum - proves nothing. In the world at large? That just proves that once TOS had established the universe, later writers could expand upon it and write with greater depth and make even better Trek (setting aside all arguments about the relative merits of the various productions). Also, the quality and message of many TOS episodes retain their impact even 50 years later. That tells me that TOS resonates with many people, even if they don't claim it as their favorite series.

To sum up - some people like Majel's Number One. Others will be thrilled to have Rebecca's version. No one is wrong.
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Part of what made Majel Barrett’s Number One so iconic was that it was groundbreaking for a woman to be considered ready to be second in command at that time. It was pioneering. I don’t believe ever again in TOS did we meet a female command officer in Starfleet (please correct me if I’m wrong) - though of course we did meet Romulan Commander Nevesa.

I agree. She was portrayed as a very strong character, at a time when women on TV and in movies were (more often than not) portrayed as overly emotional and not capable of handling the same types of jobs/duties that men were. She was also mysterious, and I think that sort of intrigue often leads to a strong fan reaction, as people want to know more about that character's background — you might even compare it to the cult following of Boba Fett in SW, who also wasn't on screen very much, but who had a similar enigmatic fortitude as Number One did.

The final episode of TOS actually featured a woman who was angry and stole Kirk's body, because women weren't "allowed" to command Starships.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnabout_Intruder

IIRC, the first time we see a female Starship captain is in "The Voyage Home".
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Part of what made Majel Barrett’s Number One so iconic was that it was groundbreaking for a woman to be considered ready to be second in command at that time. It was pioneering. I don’t believe ever again in TOS did we meet a female command officer in Starfleet (please correct me if I’m wrong) - though of course we did meet Romulan Commander Nevesa.

I agree. She was portrayed as a very strong character, at a time when women on TV and in movies were (more often than not) portrayed as overly emotional and not capable of handling the same types of jobs/duties that men were. She was also mysterious, and I think that sort of intrigue often leads to a strong fan reaction, as people want to know more about that character's background — you might even compare it to the cult following of Boba Fett in SW, who also wasn't on screen very much, but who had a similar enigmatic fortitude as Number One did.

The final episode of TOS actually featured a woman who was angry and stole Kirk's body, because women weren't "allowed" to command Starships.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnabout_Intruder

IIRC, the first time we see a female Starship captain is in "The Voyage Home".

Correct, she’s the Captain of the Saratoga and goes on to play Geordi’s mom in TNG.
  • Options

Silly space orcs. Cannibalism is for humans.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    i
    Lol. Alas,that whole eating Georgiou’s remains was actually done by Voq and L’Rell. Kol just came in WAY later when they were on the point of starving again and gave them real Klingon food.

Silly space orcs. Cannibalism is for humans.

And obviously it was a CHOICE on their part to continue it. Kol had food. Yet, L'Rell found friends in the larder when took Kat there........
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright I can’t keep quiet any longer. How do y’all know for certain this in Number One from Discovery and not Number One from TOS? You don’t. And how do you know Kol didn’t survive or isn’t somehow in season 2? You don’t.
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Alright I can’t keep quiet any longer. How do y’all know for certain this in Number One from Discovery and not Number One from TOS? You don’t. And how do you know Kol didn’t survive or isn’t somehow in season 2? You don’t.

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/12923/announcing-the-empire-reforged-mega-event#latest

^thats why

It states #1 is from disco, not tos :(
    And shows that Kol is from season one.
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    Also we saw Kol engulfed in flames in his exploding ship. Bringing him back from that would turn Star Trek into goofy comic book territory
  • Options
    milamber42milamber42 ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Also we saw Kol engulfed in flames in his exploding ship. Bringing him back from that would turn Star Trek into goofy comic book territory

He is from a different timeline........
  • Options
    milamber42 wrote: »

He is from a different timeline........

Yes I get that. I was responding to the comment about him still being alive in the show...
  • Options
    Two quick remarks about TOS Number One:

1 Players have been requesting her since launch and well before Discovery premiered. It's unfair and untrue for that request to be portrayed now as Disco-hate. I hope she gets added at some point. She occupies a prominent place in Trek history.

2 It's intriguing that she's characterized as a strong woman, given that her defining character trait was that she had suppressed her femininity to the point of being referred to as more like a computer than a woman. Today, we would read such a character as being gender neutral, perhaps asexual and/or aromantic. Going by the standards of the mid-60's, though, it's hard not to read her as simply a woman who sacrificed being a woman in order to have a career. I'm curious to see how Discovery explores all this (if at all).

And one quick remark about TOS:

It really should get more love around here than it does. I would encourage anyone who lacks enthusiasm for it to revisit some episodes. It's thought provoking, it's neat, and it's a whole lot of fun!

Didn't someone post from IMDb that she is transgender now?
  • Options
    Two quick remarks about TOS Number One:

1 Players have been requesting her since launch and well before Discovery premiered. It's unfair and untrue for that request to be portrayed now as Disco-hate. I hope she gets added at some point. She occupies a prominent place in Trek history.

2 It's intriguing that she's characterized as a strong woman, given that her defining character trait was that she had suppressed her femininity to the point of being referred to as more like a computer than a woman. Today, we would read such a character as being gender neutral, perhaps asexual and/or aromantic. Going by the standards of the mid-60's, though, it's hard not to read her as simply a woman who sacrificed being a woman in order to have a career. I'm curious to see how Discovery explores all this (if at all).

And one quick remark about TOS:

It really should get more love around here than it does. I would encourage anyone who lacks enthusiasm for it to revisit some episodes. It's thought provoking, it's neat, and it's a whole lot of fun!

Didn't someone post from IMDb that she is transgender now?

Anyone can edit IMDb and that was most certainly a troll.
  • Options
    Is there going to be a way to score T’Kuvma next week? He is too powerful in the Arena for anyone that never had a chance to land him.