Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: Trouble in Paradise - 01/16 - Correction

Comments

• Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I find it odd that when Burnham disobeyed orders everyone blamed her. But when Edward disobeys orders almost everyone is blaming his captain not him. He disobeyed orders. He caused the problem.

Lorca, Pike, and Saru let Burnham get away with far too much, there is no doubt there. Then again, Lorca had his own plans that didn’t really coincide with Starfleet’s ideals and Saru was more familiar with Burnham than anyone on Discovery...Pike is the odd one out by not having any real excuse for why he didn’t expect more discipline on his ship.

Pike knew that the crew had been through some dark stuff with Lorca and the war events and he knew that he wasn't familiar with them and that his command would only be temporary, so he decided to tread lightly. I think there's a scene in the beginning of the season where he says something of that sort.
    I mean, I didn't like season 2 very much, but I don't think that Pike's command style was one of the issues and its explanation made sense to me.

Also, I haven't watched the Short Trek yet, but from what I've seen and read it feels like they tried to do some Orville kind of thing, probably because of all the fans who kept saying that the Orville is better Trek than DSC. Clearly that approach didn't work for everyone either :D
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biggest hate was Discovery was on an app. Now that Orville is also, I've seen the hate disappear. People have gotten used to it and helped Picard surge as a result.
  • Now, you know the Great Bird himself said repeatedly that 🌟 fleet is NOT military. They are just explorers and scientists. Like when Libya attacked two Navy Jets, and the US sent Jacques Cousteau to bomb their bases......

Yep. However subsequent writing staffs have blurred the lines on this issue.

"Starfleet is not a military organization, its purpose is exploration" - Captain Picard in Peak Performance

They certainly get embroiled in a lot of war though...

So, who IS the military then? I forgot all those episodes when starfleet ships ran away while that... military I can't remember its name or existence.... came to fight the wars? Are we pretending these were civilians then who happened to have extensive combat trained leadership? I guess that training was arranged for entertainment?
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back to the event at hand, I totally blanked on tomorrow being Convergence Day, which would make "Trouble in Paradise" this year's Convergence Day event. Seems pretty lackluster in that context to feature Admiral Maxwell Forrest, Commander Dolim, and Captain Luceno. And it was a lackluster crew even before I realized that. There will surely be some nifty surprise or two, but for the time being, 3* Tourist Worf is presently the most exciting thing about this year's Convergence Day.

The only real positive being ... it will be a Galaxy event ... so maybe DB will add a bit more flavour around collaborative work, as has been the case for past Convergence Day events (well 2017 and 2018 ... not 2019).

On a related note ... Belle Q ... will that be a Q Continuum trait bonus or "Q variants" bonus or neither of the two?
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    On a related note ... Belle Q ... will that be a Q Continuum trait bonus or "Q variants" bonus or neither of the two?

Unless Belle Q turns out to be John de Lancie in a dress, I think we can safely rule out "Q variants". "Q Continuum" trait would be a way to bolster bonus crew and is not without precedent, but it wouldn't necessarily be that trait - it's just as likely to be "Costumed". My money's on "neither of the two" if the other event crew are variantful, but I'm also guessing it's a Skirmish and therefore a moot point anyway.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back to the event at hand, I totally blanked on tomorrow being Convergence Day, which would make "Trouble in Paradise" this year's Convergence Day event. Seems pretty lackluster in that context to feature Admiral Maxwell Forrest, Commander Dolim, and Captain Luceno. And it was a lackluster crew even before I realized that. There will surely be some nifty surprise or two, but for the time being, 3* Tourist Worf is presently the most exciting thing about this year's Convergence Day.

If I remember DB did a bait she switch last year before announcing Convergence Day. They could be doing something similar.

In fact, the Tourist Worf/Q screw up could be a result of Shan accidentally leaking part of the announcement and then trying to cover it up.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    AviTrek wrote: »

If I remember DB did a bait she switch last year before announcing Convergence Day. They could be doing something similar.

In fact, the Tourist Worf/Q screw up could be a result of Shan accidentally leaking part of the announcement and then trying to cover it up.

If it is today and if they announce it last-minute ... and if I cared about those things ... I might not collect the event rewards at the end of the current event because last year we got Seven in Silver (as a link into a 2-part Borg event) in the mail ... so Forrest would use up your DYC ... or you'd have to wait a couple of days before collecting any 5* in mail. In-game mail, announcement tomorrow.

@PenguinJim ... As a non-trekkie I still have no idea who or what Q is I just figured he was some guy who could look like anything they wanted because they were all-powerful (I mean, I have a version who looks like Riker ... or is that Riker?) ... guess not.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see a ship with technology 900 years out of date fight its way through season 3. I mean, we all know a Viking long ship can take out a US Navy aircraft carrier no problem..... ;):p

This is exactly what concerns me about the upcoming season. The only way for Discovery to be a relevant player as a ship is if some terrible calamity has befallen the galaxy and set everything back centuries. That's a depressing premise to start the season.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaraRacing wrote: »

If it is today and if they announce it last-minute ... and if I cared about those things ... I might not collect the event rewards at the end of the current event because last year we got Seven in Silver (as a link into a 2-part Borg event) in the mail ... so Forrest would use up your DYC ... or you'd have to wait a couple of days before collecting any 5* in mail. In-game mail, announcement tomorrow.

@PenguinJim ... As a non-trekkie I still have no idea who or what Q is I just figured he was some guy who could look like anything they wanted because they were all-powerful (I mean, I have a version who looks like Riker ... or is that Riker?) ... guess not.

A Q can look like anything they want, but each one is an individual. (The Riker one is actually Riker with the "powers" of a Q, and Data Q... err... hmm!)

Generally, though, the Q we see is portrayed by John de Lancie (who voices Timelines!), and has multiple variants in the game, and Belle Q is likely to be a None de Lancie Q, like Q2 or Colonel Q.

But you've now got me hoping for John de Lancie in a dress!
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

In-game màil says the extra week of crew slot and Dabo discounts were part of the celebration. More info coming tomorrow.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."

In-game màil says the extra week of crew slot and Dabo discounts were part of the celebration. More info coming tomorrow.

In game mail says nothing like that. In game mail says crew slot/dabo say is ending. In the next sentence it says Convergence day news will be announced tomorrow. The extended sale has nothing to do with Convergence day. If I had to guess, I would say DB forgot to end the sale and only noticed when it went to plan for Convergence day. But even if I'm wrong with that guess, the message makes no connection between the extended sale and Convergence day.

I didn't memorize the mail. They said there was the "extra week" of the Sale, then went on to talk the announcement tomorrow. I guess I connected them, since it was in the same mail........
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Also, I haven't watched the Short Trek yet, but from what I've seen and read it feels like they tried to do some Orville kind of thing, probably because of all the fans who kept saying that the Orville is better Trek than DSC. Clearly that approach didn't work for everyone either :D

but Orville is better than Discovery because Orville is actually trying to be star trek :)

seriously, who here would rather have Ed and Kelly and Bortas and Isaac and Dr. Kasidy Yates than captain "this conversation is over"?

Since this „nxt event info“ thread went off topic as usual:

Orville Season 1 was nice, season 2 was a huge let down, they took themselfs way too serious, imho. And they are not even close as being as good as Discovery. But whatever.🤗

Regarding nxt weeks event:

Another ranked 5* i have no interest in. So another relaxed event. Totally fine with. 👍🏻
    •SSR Delta Flyers•

but Orville is better than Discovery because Orville is actually trying to be star trek :)

seriously, who here would rather have Ed and Kelly and Bortas and Isaac and Dr. Kasidy Yates than captain "this conversation is over"?

Since this „nxt event info“ thread went off topic as usual:

Orville Season 1 was nice, season 2 was a huge let down, they took themselfs way too serious, imho. And they are not even close as being as good as Discovery. But whatever.🤗

Regarding nxt weeks event:

Another ranked 5* i have no interest in. So another relaxed event. Totally fine with. 👍🏻

She'll turn out to be the next Arena Sledgehammer. 🔨

Plus:

Med 1500
    Dip 1250
    Sec 1000

• DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am pleased with this.
    Ivlain wrote: »
    Flemming wrote: »
    Oh why could we not have Trader Odo for THIS event... more Tribbles the better.

Tribble Herder Scotty should have been the 5* as well. That would be the best picture ever.

That needs to Photoshopped immediately!!!!!!

More Tribbles, more funs.........