Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: Trouble in Paradise - 01/16 - Correction

Comments

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps I’m back in the competing game? Who is Belle Q?
  • SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    yhloou16mf5b.png

probably Female Q from The Q and the Grey
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Hemlock MartinisHemlock Martinis ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Neat! I wonder if we'll see an event bonus for the entire Q Continuum trait or just for Miss Q.
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    So a 3* Worf after all! Now there are only two major 3* remaining, which are Picard and Data. :) Also ... who is "Belle Q"? A variant of "Miss Q"? Edit: Is this confirmed? Another reason why I should cite my "Miss Q" to give her the last star for immortality next week when the 4* citation is out.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yhloou16mf5b.png

probably Female Q from The Q and the Grey

Thanks Barkley!

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    So a 3* Worf after all! Now there are only two major 3* remaining, which are Picard and Data. :) Also ... who is "Belle Q"? A variant of "Miss Q"? Edit: Is this confirmed? Another reason why I should cite my "Miss Q" to give her the last star for immortality next week when the 4* citation is out.

There was a 3 🌟 Picard among the Picards in the Leaked Ten. Most of the Leaked Ten have been added, except the Picards and the Naussicaan........

I'm thinking there might be a Picard Event or even Mega Event when the show starts, or right before. With most/all the Leaked Ten Picards.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    A new Q eh? Maybe DB forgot to put one in in the Q Mega and just remembered.
    Let’s fly!
  • eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    these two videos sum up my feelings on Lucero and that short trek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRyyxxYdqcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnlxugk3Qb0

These are the first scenes I've seen of any of the Trek shorts. Can't think of a time I've ever been at such a loss for words. Truly awful, awful stuff. Just...

ever wondered if the 23rd century still has millennials? i wonder what skills they'll give her...starfleet, federation, smug?
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    these two videos sum up my feelings on Lucero and that short trek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRyyxxYdqcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnlxugk3Qb0

These are the first scenes I've seen of any of the Trek shorts. Can't think of a time I've ever been at such a loss for words. Truly awful, awful stuff. Just...

ever wondered if the 23rd century still has millennials? i wonder what skills they'll give her...starfleet, federation, smug?

Also either pregnant or mother, I suppose.
    Edward WAS an idiot.........

I hope to see the Season Two Short Treks soon.

I can't decide if the biggest disappointment was that only two of the first four were on the Disco Season Two DVD, or that you have to hunt for those two........

The Saru one & the Po one were the only ones on the DVD set.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    One of my biggest problems with Discovery is that it’s obvious none of the writers have been in the military, and are unwilling to hire and listen to advisors who have.

For those of us who have been in the military, the problems are extreme, and non-ignorable. The characters routinely flout the chain of command, and military customs and courtesies. Actions that should merit court martials, confinement, or dismissal from the service are punished by stern talking-tos or worse, are completely ignored.

And when we bring up these issues, we’re accused of being intolerant, which is true, but not in the sense that people are using it.

The military isn’t a warm, cuddly place where people join hands and sing kumbaya. There’s rules and regulations, and you follow them, or you can get out (or be kicked out.)

Heck, let’s get right to one of the most obvious issues: Tilly doesn’t meet height/weight requirements. I don’t say this because I’m mean and don’t like chubby people. I’m saying this because there are clear and obvious reasons that while aboard a military vessel, a military member needs to meet these requirements.

Instead, the writers have written the cast of Discovery like they’re members of a start-up. Just no.

Now, you know the Great Bird himself said repeatedly that 🌟 fleet is NOT military. They are just explorers and scientists. Like when Libya attacked two Navy Jets, and the US sent Jacques Cousteau to bomb their bases......
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are overthinking these short treks. They are just meant to be fun snippets that are 15 min or less and add one fact to the trek universe or tie in to an upcoming trek episode. The Trouble with Edward short trek was meant to be a funny short trek and it was funny. Why would anyone take a tribble episode so seriously? None of the others were. Original Trouble with Tribbles was so funny when the tribbles kept falling out of the cabinet onto Kirk’s head.
    2b6s7lnnspvn.gif

The DS9 one had a lot of humor as well.
    afd3cbgkq6cu.jpeg
    Let’s fly!
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✌️
    I'm out.
    Farewell 🖖
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    these two videos sum up my feelings on Lucero and that short trek, the first one most of all.

You've actually made it that I want to watch that Short Trek ... looks like an episode from The Office (have only seen the BBC series) I'm half expecting them to give a weird look to the camera the way Tim does when Gareth goes off on some jibe about hunting knives etc.
    She reminds me of David Brent (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAnIOCIBFR4 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f6qRwp8YwE) ... or his boss, wow did she ever think he was a right idiot. :)
    Actually ... now I want to go watch The Office again (and The Detectorists while I'm at it) ... Star Trek will have to wait ...
  • The real question in that case is how Star Fleet “Peter Principled” him into such a job

That, we can agree on. He must have been doing something special for an Admiral somewhere ;)

What I'm finding at the moment, on Twitter and Reddit, is that no-one seems to be able to say anything negative about Discovery or its Short Treks without someone else piping up and saying that the negativity is due to racism/sexism/homophobia/etc... Its irritating because I'm a Trekkie - I understand the concept of IDIC.

I simply don't like Discovery because I feel the writing is substandard!

The problem is that so much of the criticism is due to or wrapped up in racism/sexism/homophobia couched as general dislike of the series that it is very hard to parse out and have a good discussion about the pros and cons of the series. I think if you keep watching Discovery or give it another chance you will enjoy it. It is a fun show with new trek storylines, interesting new characters, and amazing special effects. I know I hated Discovery the first two episodes but kept watching and now I love it. The big problem Discovery had was that the first two episodes were setup that were a bit forced to get the show where it needed to be and that CBS only showed the first episode for free when the show doesn’t get really good until episode 3.

Star Trek is one of the most progressive audiences out there. We generally deserve the benefit of the doubt. [...] Those of us still here have good intentions. :)

I'd like to agree with you on this, but I'm afraid I've spent too much time reading conversations in UC to still believe these things :#

That being said, I agree that people have lots of different reasons to dislike DSC and it makes no sense to assume that they're all simply prejudiced.

As for the event, I can't find any reference to Belle Q, but if it's really a 5* version of the female Q from The Q and the Grey that would be great :smiley:
    The real question in that case is how Star Fleet “Peter Principled” him into such a job

That, we can agree on. He must have been doing something special for an Admiral somewhere ;)

What I'm finding at the moment, on Twitter and Reddit, is that no-one seems to be able to say anything negative about Discovery or its Short Treks without someone else piping up and saying that the negativity is due to racism/sexism/homophobia/etc... Its irritating because I'm a Trekkie - I understand the concept of IDIC.

The problem is that so much of the criticism is due to or wrapped up in racism/sexism/homophobia couched as general dislike of the series that it is very hard to parse out and have a good discussion about the pros and cons of the series. I think if you keep watching Discovery or give it another chance you will enjoy it. It is a fun show with new trek storylines, interesting new characters, and amazing special effects. I know I hated Discovery the first two episodes but kept watching and now I love it. The big problem Discovery had was that the first two episodes were setup that were a bit forced to get the show where it needed to be and that CBS only showed the first episode for free when the show doesn’t get really good until episode 3.

Star Trek is one of the most progressive audiences out there. We generally deserve the benefit of the doubt. [...] Those of us still here have good intentions. :)

I'd like to agree with you on this, but I'm afraid I've spent too much time reading conversations in UC to still believe these things :#

That being said, I agree that people have lots of different reasons to dislike DSC and it makes no sense to assume that they're all simply prejudiced.

As for the event, I can't find any reference to Belle Q, but if it's really a 5* version of the female Q from The Q and the Grey that would be great :smiley:

She is dressed like a Southron Belle. I think the only "spoiler" we are going to get is THERE IS A NEW 3 🌟!!!!!
  • Shan wrote: »
    I made an edit: the ranked Reward 5*: will be Belle Q and not Tourist Worf.
    Tourist Worf will be a new 3* however.

My apologies!

I wondered what the hell everyone was talking about! 😂

"Lucero" - could I make the point that no one outside of the US has been able to watch the season 2 Short Treks yet, so getting these cards is really annoying - we don't know who they are and likely don't want to be spoilered. It happened last year with the Leland card.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Belle Q: No interest.
    Commander Dolim: Ugh. Another existing 4* from the pile of crew who've already featured in an event that does me no good.
    Tourist Worf: I HOPE THRESHOLD & OUT IS ENOUGH FOR A 3/3.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    ✌️
    I'm out.

No you get back in here and listen to my opinion!

Ok, I'm back. What's this "opinion" of yours? :D
    The real question in that case is how Star Fleet “Peter Principled” him into such a job

Also, this is totally legit. Thank you for not dismissing the opinions of others before they are even articulated. I really try to forget that UC exists. :D
    Farewell 🖖
  • .•°rÅTT°•..•°rÅTT°•. ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    If all you watch is the toxic Disco hate channels then you will hate it. I used to watch them until I realized they do nothing but Bash Disco for clicks. They'd bash Disco if it was good or bad. So much trash on YouTube. That Cullen guy is an alt-right hatemonger. He can't stand women or gay people in charge. That being said.. If you don't like it you don't like it. That's fine. Don't watch it.

My Gripe here is that its the same old event types over and over. Galaxy is lame. Would love a Rosa Salazar Avi though.
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    What I have found is that whenever someone complains about something so large as an entire series with something so general as “substandard writing“ (Particulalarly with DSC/DS9) in general if you ask him define that term you start hitting on all of those things you just mentioned. For example if we agree that she did shut Edward down, and shouldn’t have expected him to be a psychopath, I no longer see what she did wrong

I’ll define it here for you then.

IMO, Discovery has substandard writing because:
    It relies far too much on “magic” (I.e. the spore drive)
    The main character seems to be the solution to almost every problem
    The writers have an obsession with nostalgia (the visit to Talos IV was unnecessary for example)
    The show feels a bit too “American” at times. The way people act doesn’t seem to reflect how people would act in the real world outside of American TV shows.
    The series is suffering from “small world” syndrome. Another symptom of the nostalgia binge the writers are on - Spoke, Pike, Mudd,
    The Enterprise, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Trill we’ve seen in the S3 trailers turns out to be Dax.

EDIT: to bring my accidental thread derailment back on track, the biggest frustration for me - as it pertains to this event - is not having access to the Star Trek shorts. They aren't currently on Netflix here in Canada, and I haven't been able to find another way to view them (S1 or S2). Unfortunately, that makes the new 4* irrelevant to me, but I'll be happy to add her to my freezer.
    FWIW, they're available in the same place that Disco and soon Picard are available: to stream on Crave TV and watch live and via streaming on CTV Sci Fi (which...can we talk about how unnecessary this name change was 🤮).
  • Data1001 wrote: »
    Oh god why did DB have to remind me of that awful Short Trek?

Yeah, I found it painfully unfunny. (Benjamin can be good, but he was doing the exact same character he always does, and I thought the writing and direction was abysmal.) But more than that, it was painfully un-Trek-like. I enjoy Disco and most of the other Short Treks, but that one was a stinker, through and through. (Adding an obligatory "in my opinion".)

It was so obvious they were trying to be like The Orville