Home The Bridge

Neverending Campaign speculations

Comments

• Not only a 2 skiller, but the same skills as the newly introduced Kay Eaton. Such a bad timing...

also only 3 traits, no collections - trill, astrophysicist, romantic
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait. How do we know she’s only two skills?
  • Never thought I'd say this, but next month's choice is so bad, I'd rather have drunk Troi again. :(
  • Captain Kirk JCaptain Kirk J ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Not great, but good.
    At 4/5 she would be my best, shuttle pilot only crew.
    I might use the cite for my Twilight T'Pol project, though.
    Captain Kirk of [Battleship Musashi]
    Playing since June 14th, 2019
    Captain Level 80 / VIP 12
    Crew Quarters: 241/270
    Immortalized [436]: 5* x30, 4* x239, 3* x89, 2* x53, and 1* x27
    Most recent Immortal: Deral (4/4)
    Current Project: Waiting for sale with 680k Honor
    Completed Collections: Eugenics, Daystrom, Romulan, Ferengi, Do No Harm, Veteran, EV Suit, Rare, Uncommon and Common
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks TP for the theme choice, even if the crew selected would not have been my first choice.
  • [TGE] Ersir[TGE] Ersir ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I don't understand how anyone could have though this card was a good idea.
    In terms of ideology and principles : the character was NOT proud of her feelings for dax, and disallowed them.
    In terms of voyage/bases/traits/collections/events, this card is horrible.

The bashirs were bad, but hey, somehow you did worst. Well done.
  • Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the theme too, but with only two skills for Lenara, I will still skip it.
    The only other options with 3 skills would have been Medic Reno and Mycelial Culber and those are probably too good to ever end up in a campaign. Also, not very fitting for a celebratory mood :#
    Dr. Culber may be a strong enough two-skiller to attract attention, although he isn't the powerhouse he used to be.

I may also be biased by my single star in the good doctor.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    A precedence of a 2skiller is very disappointing. I never considered not buying the campaign but this time I do. But a single closed wallet will not change the tide, will it?
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Paladin 27 wrote: »
    Maybe they looked at a list of least owned cards in the game and picked one from the top 10.

that would be an interesting list
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • A precedence of a 2skiller is very disappointing. I never considered not buying the campaign but this time I do. But a single closed wallet will not change the tide, will it?

I'm with you on this. I think the campaign is a good deal even if you airlock the 4/5*. But if everyone buys it with crew this poor, I fear TP will have no incentive to ever offer decent crew again. So I'm leaning towards skipping the campaign for the first time all year.
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how far out campaigns are chosen, but here's a suggestion for the August campaign:

Their Finest Hour - In recognition of the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain

RAF Miles O'Brien
    RAF Julian Bashir

+1(000,000,000,000,000) Do that and consider my money spent. Have the Bashir 2/4 or 3/4, but want the O'Brien badly. He's the only crew with WW2 era clothing I'm missing. I'm an amateur military historian and miniaturist with a heavy UK/Commonwealth bent. Waving this combo in front of a Spitfire mad Trekie is almost cruel if it doesn't happen now.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may be a contro
    Unnar Too wrote: »
    Never thought I'd say this, but next month's choice is so bad, I'd rather have drunk Troi again. :(
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Airlocking the crew but still way worth ten bucks

I airlocked all four copies of Drunk Troi when I bought that campaign, and I'll be airlocking the 4 copies of Trill Moira Borg Queen next month. No biggie, the rest of the campaign track is worth it, the only annoying part will be having to swat away the DYC for a crew I airlocked four times.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m on board with the general theme but Dr. Hugh Culber would have been a much better choice as far as utility goes while not only fitting the theme just as well, but probably better. Although my Culber is already 4/5*, I would have been happy to immortalize him and send three stars to the great black beyond. I might wait to pull the trigger on this campaign...the citation alone is worth the purchase price but I don’t really want a(nother) 4/5* I have no intention of ever citing or using.
  • A precedence of a 2skiller is very disappointing. I never considered not buying the campaign but this time I do. But a single closed wallet will not change the tide, will it?
    Unnar Too wrote: »
    A precedence of a 2skiller is very disappointing. I never considered not buying the campaign but this time I do. But a single closed wallet will not change the tide, will it?

I'm with you on this. I think the campaign is a good deal even if you airlock the 4/5*. But if everyone buys it with crew this poor, I fear TP will have no incentive to ever offer decent crew again. So I'm leaning towards skipping the campaign for the first time all year.

I will not be buying this campaign. I'm afraid this will start a trend of 2 skillers. We've gotten some pretty bad cards in campaigns but at least they've had 3 skills and of some use to me when it comes to voyages as I only have 27 immo legendaries.
  • I like the theme too, but with only two skills for Lenara, I will still skip it.
    The only other options with 3 skills would have been Medic Reno and Mycelial Culber and those are probably too good to ever end up in a campaign. Also, not very fitting for a celebratory mood :#
    Dr. Culber may be a strong enough two-skiller to attract attention, although he isn't the powerhouse he used to be.

He has more event potential and a stronger base, so he would probably be more useful (even though, now that we all have Dr. McCoy, I'm not so sure he would make it on many shuttles outside of events).
    But I agree that Culber and Reno would have been better choices, even though they're also 2 skillers (the 3-skillers are way to gloomy for Pride month) because they have a more interesting main skill and more events.

And I think that they chose Lenara because she's holdind a drink and looks festive, not because they wanted to give us the worst option.

The only other option would have been for them to create a new card, like they did with Scrooge Data, but even then, given the lack of actual positive/festive representations in the shows, it would have probably had to be a WR original.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the theme too, but with only two skills for Lenara, I will still skip it.

He has more event potential and a stronger base, so he would probably be more useful (even though, now that we all have Dr. McCoy, I'm not so sure he would make it on many shuttles outside of events).
    But I agree that Culber and Reno would have been better choices, even though they're also 2 skillers (the 3-skillers are way to gloomy for Pride month) because they have a more interesting main skill and more events.

And I think that they chose Lenara because she's holdind a drink and looks festive, not because they wanted to give us the worst option.

The only other option would have been for them to create a new card, like they did with Scrooge Data, but even then, given the lack of actual positive/festive representations in the shows, it would have probably had to be a WR original.

Those points are excellent. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be voting with $$ and skipping the campaign for the first time. Is it a value compared to almost every other offer? Sure.

But the most important factor in the campaign, for me, is getting excited about and looking forward to new crew. Chatting with friends about it and our plans. This gold did the opposite of that and I would feel bad if it continues to happen while I'm paying for it.

P.S. Thank you Ben for revealing Suspiria on our stream instead of Lenara Kahn. I'm not that good an actor. :#
  • since this will be the first 5* i don't have I will be buying this.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, after re-reading the whole Lenara thread and how it was closed, I wish they didn't do a Pride campaign at all.
    I don't need companies to publicly advocate for my community or for other ethical issues in order to use their products and services, but when they do, I want to believe that they actually care.
    It doesn't really feel that way in this case.

Maybe they will come with announcement like ... "Half the money made from the campaign purchases will be donated to an NGO that supports the LGBTQ community."

That would be classy.
  • RaraRacing wrote: »
    To be honest, after re-reading the whole Lenara thread and how it was closed, I wish they didn't do a Pride campaign at all.
    I don't need companies to publicly advocate for my community or for other ethical issues in order to use their products and services, but when they do, I want to believe that they actually care.

Maybe they will come with announcement like ... "Half the money made from the campaign purchases will be donated to an NGO that supports the LGBTQ community."

That would be classy.

I don't care about that. But if this is a topic that matters to them then I would have expected them to:
    1) Take a stance on it (and I'm not talking about the choice of Lenara as a legendary)
    2) Not shut down the conversation at the first best occasion, just because there is one person trying to derail it, when there have been way nastier discussions on this forum that kept going for days.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaraRacing wrote: »

That would be classy.

I don't care about that. But if this is a topic that matters to them then I would have expected them to:
    1) Take a stance on it (and I'm not talking about the choice of Lenara as a legendary)
    2) Not shut down the conversation at the first best occasion, just because there is one person trying to derail it, when there have been way nastier discussions on this forum that kept going for days.

I am curious about this from a marketing standpoint. Some, possibly a vocal minority but also possibly a representative number of people, have expressed disapproval. Some for not doing this well, others for using the theme at all. Still others disapprove for game reasons, but that seems to happen every month.

I wonder if the company would have been better off making the IDIC announcement, but omitting its connection to pride month. Those who are passionate would see it as a nod. Those who are oblivious, just think it's some Trek thing chosen randomly. Those who attack the company from either side can be answered with, "Look, we just make a game. This was a cool theme at the heart of the Star Trek franchise. We try to make content that people are happy to purchase. We will consider your input for future campaigns because we value customer satisfaction." They did use the latter part, which is where I got it. Where I see the problem was that they had to go on the defensive because they did not leave themselves a way out with the first part.

Instead, as mentioned above, it seems like someone kicked a hornet nest. That is generally bad for business, as I understand. I am happy to report that my fleet has handled it well and did not get political about the issue. That's sort of a policy of ours. The world has enough turmoil out there. The fleet is a haven from that. The game normally is too.

We'll never see numbers, of course, but as I said, I am curious all the same from the marketing standpoint. The data would only be useful if sales remain steady though. There is a swath who won't buy because it is one of the weakest legendaries in the game. And if there are fewer purchases, then we will not know if it is card quality or some emotional reason. But if there are the same or more purchases, then the stance taken by the company was a wise decision.
    Farewell 🖖