Home The Bridge
Options

The Big Book Of Behold Advice WAS Shut Down In Protest (Now Back Up, See OP)

Comments

• Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make your own if you care that much.

Actually, I (and @eXo | RodenberryPie) did make our own for use in eXo and with our bot. We're working on making a version that's more friendly to share in a non-bot format for folks to use if they choose in the absence of the Big Book. Our opinions differ on many cards from the BB, and our language is also a bit more... uh... colorful at times. But I'll share it when it's done. It needed to be done anyway.

“Colorful” ? Shocking. Not really, though. 😈

You did us a service, @eXo | SilverRose . I cannot thank you enough.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    For the most part there is a tale of two offerwalls:

Apple: A mix of never-ending surveys, misleading ads for opinions (e.g. Do you like mcdonalds tagline) which lead to a never ending litany of popups all asking for personal info, signing up for trial offers of monthly services, and donating to pseudo charities (identified as non-profits, but not tax deductible).

Android: Almost 90+%, download this app and play to a certain level. Usually a nominal amount of dil for just downloading and playing a few minutes, to larger amounts for a threshold that would require cash or weeks of play. The couple I've done here worked correctly.

The wall as android has it I doubt most people would have an issue with. Sure there will be a minimal amount of tracking to make sure they know you signed up for the offer and than they can pay out when it finishes, but that's sort of implicit in signing up for each offer.

The wall on apple has it is an array of things not to do if you don't want to go through identity theft.

I tend to find fault for two things here. On is DB/WR for releasing this into the game with the Apple wall as it is, it is predatory and also creates an imbalance between users. The 2nd is apple for disallowing the type of offers that android has. They did this explicitly over a year ago, saying it was to preserve the integrity of app rankings, but I thing it was more since they weren't getting a 30% cut of the payments between the destination app and the referring app.

This is the first comment I've read that brought up this difference — so, thank you for that. I wasn't aware that iOS and Android users saw differing offer walls, but if Apple users are only seeing those types of offers, then they're getting shortchanged. And I agree, the surveys aren't worth the time and effort — and occasionally require too much personal information to be shared, as you say — but mostly they're just not worth it, unless you have an endless supply of free time.

For iOS folks who do want to take advantage of the offers that they don't have access to on their device, I guess I'd suggest using an Android emulator on your computer (which are available for both Windows and PC... and even Linux, I'm pretty sure).

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Madman1Madman1 ✭✭✭
    Hello all. The Big Book Of Behold Advice, The Little Book Of Cadet Advice, The Super Hyper Stats/Backend Sheets and My Own Datacore Analysis Sheets have all shut down in protest of the offer wall. The message is as follows:

"Finding it unsafe and predatory, we do not believe the Offer Wall is an acceptable addition to the game we all love. We cannot in good conscience support a game that employs this system. While the Offer Wall remains, this resource and certain related resources will not continue. Thank you to the players for your years of feedback and support.*

-The Big Book team (Automaton_2000, StarsAndGarters, BigMcLargeHuge, Plain SimpleGarak and Captain Idol)"

So, punish the players?

Good strategy..........

I mean, do you really expect them to keep cranking it out if they quit playing the game (which very well may happen, given the current trajectory the game is on)? This isn’t about punishing players, this is about not investing THEIR OWN TIME on a game they may not even be playing much longer. If people can’t figure out who to pick in a behold, tough. It’s probably high time they learn if they intend to keep playing.

I think leaving the big book up with the first page being a warning about the problem would work better. Obviously it wouldn't be updated but current players would continue to use and any new users would see the warning as they started playing the game. This may warn early players about the issue and allow them to make decisions earlier than otherwise.
  • Options
    pancakeblockpancakeblock ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    While others fall back into uncertainty, I shall be a guiding light in these dark times.

dfijyi217nux.gif
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    Madman1 wrote: »
    Hello all. The Big Book Of Behold Advice, The Little Book Of Cadet Advice, The Super Hyper Stats/Backend Sheets and My Own Datacore Analysis Sheets have all shut down in protest of the offer wall. The message is as follows:

"Finding it unsafe and predatory, we do not believe the Offer Wall is an acceptable addition to the game we all love. We cannot in good conscience support a game that employs this system. While the Offer Wall remains, this resource and certain related resources will not continue. Thank you to the players for your years of feedback and support.*

-The Big Book team (Automaton_2000, StarsAndGarters, BigMcLargeHuge, Plain SimpleGarak and Captain Idol)"

So, punish the players?

Good strategy..........

I mean, do you really expect them to keep cranking it out if they quit playing the game (which very well may happen, given the current trajectory the game is on)? This isn’t about punishing players, this is about not investing THEIR OWN TIME on a game they may not even be playing much longer. If people can’t figure out who to pick in a behold, tough. It’s probably high time they learn if they intend to keep playing.

I think leaving the big book up with the first page being a warning about the problem would work better. Obviously it wouldn't be updated but current players would continue to use and any new users would see the warning as they started playing the game. This may warn early players about the issue and allow them to make decisions earlier than otherwise.

I can respect your opinion but I disagree entirely. They put those resources together as a labor of love. Dedicating their own time and resources to provide something free to all players. Thats as pure as it gets.

They are shutting them down in protest of the direction taken by tp/wr which has essentially been to monetize peoples personal data.

But here you come, screaming “you gave me this for free, now you are taking it away, how dare you”.......and in the course of doing that you are missing the point entirely.

The resource creators owe you NOTHING.

However, your game developer owes EVERYONE an explanation at a minimum, and in my opinion, they owe everyone some changes that respect their customers objections/requests.

It is you who seem to have missed the point. @Madman1 was pointing out that the message would reach more people if the Big Book remained active with a message from the creators explaining why it was no longer being updated.

Not going to get into a battle over this. The key phrase is “remained active”. Otherwise interpreted as still available for free. The creators are contemplating whether or not they want to be involved in this game, why should their work be used in support of something that they are questioning?

I very much enjoy how you are always so careful to ignore what is being said so dismissively. Madman1 was merely offering a suggestion that this message the creators are so passionate about would have a greater impact going forward if it was attached to a document they created out of their love of the community. It is feedback, to the creators. For all you know it was intended to be supportive.
  • Options
    [10F] gobolts07 [10F] gobolts07 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [/quote]

They created the content. They are free to do with it whatever they want. And, I am just as free to point out that withdrawing the things listed affects the players, not DB/WRG/TP/WTWBNW......

The Big Book does not generate income for the company. The Offer Wall does.

WTWBNW = "Whatever They Will Be Next Week". On retrospect, the name/ownership changes look much less benign now that the Offer Wall is in the game. Just an observation.
    [/quote]

Kind of like TP rolled in and said “knock knock, where’s our money?” after their large investment.
  • Options
    While others fall back into uncertainty, I shall be a guiding light in these dark times.

dfijyi217nux.gif

It's okay, Randy. Change is difficult, and transitions are trying.
  • Options
    The Big Book is great. I refer to it frequently. Shame to see it shuttered. But do what you gotta do.
  • Options
    Cpt_insano_2k1Cpt_insano_2k1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, if they don’t want to maintain it anymore, I think it makes sense to pull it down. I started playing the game shortly after the first convergence day and I followed outdated guides on the old forums that likely did more harm than good in the beginning, at least for me. It wouldn’t take too long before the BBB to become outdated either, and new players would be relying on outdated info.

Besides, they created it, and they made their own decision about what they thought was right to do with it. I think it’s only fair to respect that.

Well said.
  • Options
    Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    ChaosChild wrote: »

That imo is stupid. Sounds like that old saying "taking my ball and going home because I didn't get my way"
    Not really. They've provided these resources out of the goodness of their hearts and at their own expense (in time, money and effort). Why would they continue to do so in support of a game they no longer want to play (or no longer feel they can play however much they want to)? Expecting them to do any different at this point is just selfishness.

Thank you guys, for all the effort you've put into supporting the community. It's a crying shame that it's come to this. TP need to understand how badly they've screwed this one up.

Yes, punish everyone was the way I took it... "While the Offer Wall remains....."
  • Options

That imo is stupid. Sounds like that old saying "taking my ball and going home because I didn't get my way"
    Not really. They've provided these resources out of the goodness of their hearts and at their own expense (in time, money and effort). Why would they continue to do so in support of a game they no longer want to play (or no longer feel they can play however much they want to)? Expecting them to do any different at this point is just selfishness.

Thank you guys, for all the effort you've put into supporting the community. It's a crying shame that it's come to this. TP need to understand how badly they've screwed this one up.

Yes, punish everyone was the way I took it... "While the Offer Wall remains....."

Well, no more free stuff for you, then. Learn on your own time.

You too
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    *deleted*
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options

Well, no more free stuff for you, then. Learn on your own time.

You too

Um. I teach myself. ☮️

I'm sure you do lol
  • Options
    Mr. HobbsMr. Hobbs ✭✭✭
    Thank you to the Big Book team for all they have provided to the community. I appreciate all the work they put into what they do. The game resources they have provided have definitely made the game more enjoyable and interesting to me (and have given me a place to send new fleet mates to figure out their beholds). I enjoy the crew write-ups and like to read them as they come out. I will be sad to see those resources go if this offer wall situation cannot be resolved, but I very much support the stand they are taking.

The offer wall does not appear to be an ethical addition to the game. It has too much potential, as managed by ironSource, to lead the unwary into unfortunate situations, sharing data that they should not be sharing. If no one was fooled by them (mostly referring to what I've heard about some of the linked surveys) they wouldn't exist in such abundance. Be careful out there!

This.
  • Options
    Frankly, I doubt the company will care in any way. Why? Because most if not almost all of their offers are crappy enough (and I gotta admit I fell for some).
This discussion has been closed.