Home The Bridge
Options

The Big Book Of Behold Advice WAS Shut Down In Protest (Now Back Up, See OP)

Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2020 in The Bridge
Update: The Big Book Of Behold Advice has reopened and is now continuing to be updated again

Hello all. The Big Book Of Behold Advice, The Little Book Of Cadet Advice, The Super Hyper Stats/Backend Sheets and My Own Datacore Analysis Sheets have all shut down in protest of the offer wall. The message is as follows:

"Finding it unsafe and predatory, we do not believe the Offer Wall is an acceptable addition to the game we all love. We cannot in good conscience support a game that employs this system. While the Offer Wall remains, this resource and certain related resources will not continue. Thank you to the players for your years of feedback and support.*

-The Big Book team (Automaton_2000, StarsAndGarters, BigMcLargeHuge, Plain SimpleGarak and Captain Idol)"

Comments

• Options
    While I'm a BIG can of having all the facts, I find it hard to deny that the paywall has predatory aspects. (Based entirely on testimonials.)

I'm still unsure about how I feel about the paywall (one reason being, not having all the facts), but I 100% support the decision, of the BBoBA team, to protest in this way.

I think it would be an even bigger loss, to the community, if the BBoBA gang decided to stop playing altogether. This is clearly important to them. I hope TP will take notice.

I can't speak to the others, but I have stated that I will stop playing whilst the offer wall is in existence.
  • Options
    From what I've heard and seen, there are a mix of offers, between surveys, installing various apps, leveling in those apps, a few reward based on purchases in the apps. I've gotten a few dil via the offers, and if you don't want to go that path, that's up to you.

It may be useful to call out what specifically you view as predatory.

AcademicHighlevelCur-size_restricted.gif
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    I applaud this move. I hope it helps move things along a bit quicker - I suspect TP bit off a bit more than they were prepared to chew and the apparent slow movement is disappointing.
    From what I've heard and seen, there are a mix of offers, between surveys, installing various apps, leveling in those apps, a few reward based on purchases in the apps. I've gotten a few dil via the offers, and if you don't want to go that path, that's up to you.

It may be useful to call out what specifically you view as predatory.

AcademicHighlevelCur-size_restricted.gif

I would recommend checking out one of the myriad of other threads on the subject - they cover the concerns quite effectively.

• Options
    robownage wrote: »
    I would recommend checking out one of the myriad of other threads on the subject - they cover the concerns quite effectively.

Yes, I can read the other threads, I'm curious what the OP(s) examples are.
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    Yes, Surveys can harvest personal information, but the fact is, if you dont do they, there is no harm. You don't like it? Don't do it. If you like it do it. I just don't see the fuss. This is such commonplace in mobile apps now I don't see the extreme issue with it that some people have. But as I said, I'll withhold final judgement until we hear more (or it disappears which would confirm many peoples thoughts on it). Either way, I hope it resolves soon and things get back to normal. This is very reminiscent of the iampicard protests we had before.

Thats the beauty of it. You dont need to “see the fuss”. You are free to develop your own opinion and act accordingly. No one is sitting here forcing you to be upset about it.

For me its not what TP is doing that making me upset, its actually the community. I almost quit over how the community was during the iampicard fiasco (I was not a user) and I'm hoping I don't get that way over this and want to walk away from the community as this is what I like about this game and why I want to help it.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    One question: are these being removed (or made private or whatever), or just not being updated?
  • Options
    One question: are these being removed (or made private or whatever), or just not being updated?

Both
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record, I maintain a spreadsheet. It gets the data from Shan’s posts in Starfleet Communications, as well as from the elephant in the room:

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Main_Page
    🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
This discussion has been closed.