Home The Bridge
Options

The Big Book Of Behold Advice WAS Shut Down In Protest (Now Back Up, See OP)

Comments

• Options
    Madman1Madman1 ✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    Madman1 wrote: »
    Hello all. The Big Book Of Behold Advice, The Little Book Of Cadet Advice, The Super Hyper Stats/Backend Sheets and My Own Datacore Analysis Sheets have all shut down in protest of the offer wall. The message is as follows:

"Finding it unsafe and predatory, we do not believe the Offer Wall is an acceptable addition to the game we all love. We cannot in good conscience support a game that employs this system. While the Offer Wall remains, this resource and certain related resources will not continue. Thank you to the players for your years of feedback and support.*

-The Big Book team (Automaton_2000, StarsAndGarters, BigMcLargeHuge, Plain SimpleGarak and Captain Idol)"

So, punish the players?

Good strategy..........

I mean, do you really expect them to keep cranking it out if they quit playing the game (which very well may happen, given the current trajectory the game is on)? This isn’t about punishing players, this is about not investing THEIR OWN TIME on a game they may not even be playing much longer. If people can’t figure out who to pick in a behold, tough. It’s probably high time they learn if they intend to keep playing.

I think leaving the big book up with the first page being a warning about the problem would work better. Obviously it wouldn't be updated but current players would continue to use and any new users would see the warning as they started playing the game. This may warn early players about the issue and allow them to make decisions earlier than otherwise.

I can respect your opinion but I disagree entirely. They put those resources together as a labor of love. Dedicating their own time and resources to provide something free to all players. Thats as pure as it gets.

They are shutting them down in protest of the direction taken by tp/wr which has essentially been to monetize peoples personal data.

But here you come, screaming “you gave me this for free, now you are taking it away, how dare you”.......and in the course of doing that you are missing the point entirely.

The resource creators owe you NOTHING.

However, your game developer owes EVERYONE an explanation at a minimum, and in my opinion, they owe everyone some changes that respect their customers objections/requests.

It is you who seem to have missed the point. @Madman1 was pointing out that the message would reach more people if the Big Book remained active with a message from the creators explaining why it was no longer being updated.

Thanks Bylo Band. My intention was to give a suggestion of how they could put up a lasting warnIng of there concerns. I have nothing but respect for the creators of the Big Book and they can do with it as they please.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I wasn't sure where to add my tuppence worth but I'm sure Idol won't mind me crashing his post. Since this announcement was made in fleet discord last night 4 of my senior officers have announced retirement plans and asked to move to one of our sister fleets.

WRG/TP I am asking that you please PLEASE look at how you are engaged with your player base right now. I am genuinely saddened to see so many players leaving, with even more saying they're refusing to spend money anymore.

I've had problems playing for a few weeks now, for a variety of reasons (its repetitive with little new gaming content and the new cards are just not appealing to me. Okay I liked activated Dahj) and I've not managed dailies for a few days. I'm not buying the campaign this month so I don't have the need to get everything finished. My reluctance to play is being further impacted by the current player reaction. There are so many arguments and disagreements across every community base it's disheartening and disappointing to read. It makes me sad. I've seen a fair few players point out that some effective communication from the devs to the players would have been appreciated (Shan, that comment is absolutely not directed at you, almost everyone loves you and thinks you do an incredible job under what are sometimes really difficult circumstances)

To sum up WRG, please pull your socks up and get on with the job before you discover half your players have left while you spend your time dithering about releasing a statement. Communication is absolutely key here. You can hail us anytime.

That was well-written. I like Dahj too, by the way. <3

That being said, I still think @Prime Lorca [10FH] ’s point is valid, i.e. give the lawyers at least a couple of days. They are humans, too.

Don’t be snarky, y’all. It’s a bad look.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    robownage wrote: »
    That being said, I still think @Prime Lorca [10FH] ’s point is valid, i.e. give the lawyers at least a couple of days. They are humans, too.

I appreciate that we need to allow time for a proper response and TP/WRG need to gather all the facts, but is it too much to ask for an Official statement?

Alot of players would be much happier / less worried if we got an official Statement with a plan.....something like:

"We have seen and understand your concerns. Please bear with us whislt we gather a complete reponse.

Our current plan is to update you by DATE "

Silence at the corporate level is being taken as a sign of guilt, greed and nonchalance. (@Shan 's comment not withstanding as it was her personal view based on position at the studio and not the studio's view)

Except Shan has posted something like that pretty much every business day since concerns were first raised. Granted, something could be put in Starfleet Communications, but she has posted in several threads over the last week (most notably the original thread asking for feedback).

From where I'm standing it seems TP were caught with their pants down, and now they're trying to figure out how to do right by their clients without breaching their contract.

It is unfortunate they seem to have decided they won't be rolling back the version while everything settles - that does feel like it could be the bare minimum.

Rolling back would mean that thousands of players that have started and potentially spent hours trying to get some of the offers finished wouldn't be able to get their dilithium. TP would then have to manually compensate thousand of people that can't get their rewards and it would be a total mess, leaving it up seems much better.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    VictoLu wrote: »
    robownage wrote: »

I appreciate that we need to allow time for a proper response and TP/WRG need to gather all the facts, but is it too much to ask for an Official statement?

Alot of players would be much happier / less worried if we got an official Statement with a plan.....something like:

"We have seen and understand your concerns. Please bear with us whislt we gather a complete reponse.

Our current plan is to update you by DATE "

Silence at the corporate level is being taken as a sign of guilt, greed and nonchalance. (@Shan 's comment not withstanding as it was her personal view based on position at the studio and not the studio's view)

Except Shan has posted something like that pretty much every business day since concerns were first raised. Granted, something could be put in Starfleet Communications, but she has posted in several threads over the last week (most notably the original thread asking for feedback).

From where I'm standing it seems TP were caught with their pants down, and now they're trying to figure out how to do right by their clients without breaching their contract.

It is unfortunate they seem to have decided they won't be rolling back the version while everything settles - that does feel like it could be the bare minimum.

Rolling back would mean that thousands of players that have started and potentially spent hours trying to get some of the offers finished wouldn't be able to get their dilithium. TP would then have to manually compensate thousand of people that can't get their rewards and it would be a total mess, leaving it up seems much better.

Fair point, and probably the reasoning behind their decision.

I do wonder if the tickets generated by doing so would be worse than the current damage being done to their brand, but I suppose the damage is already done and a few extra days aren't really going to make it any worse.
  • Options
    I can't get access to the wall. So I just see the normal reaction to a questionable tp decision. Surveys? Answer with gibberish and that will throw
    the monkey wrench in the works.
  • Options
    Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slick wrote: »
    I can't say that I ever used "The big book" anyway. No loss to me personally. And I don't see how it's removal hurts the company. It only hurts those who depended on it. If people want to quit the game over this, then so be it. The leaderboards could use some fresh blood for a change.

The removal of the Big Book doesn’t hurt the company— but it shows a massive disengagement by some very active players.

I utilize the Big Book daily. It has been a big help for helping me choose who to freeze to make room for more crew.

Could I play the game without it? Sure. I played for months before I even knew it existed. But if these people are “out” on the game due to this one thing, I have to take that to mean this is a big, bad deal in their minds. For a small group who puts in significant personal time to evaluate crew — and then to share their expert opinions with ANYONE who wants it (they even do a weekly stream to share info— and are active on these forums)— to opt out of putting that time into it over this wall, then everyone should be paying attention.

They didn't say they were leaving, they said they would take it down until the wall was removed. Which I agree only harms the ones that use it. I rarely do, but I know a few who do use it and I just think it is sad that they are punishing those.

If they truly wanted to take that wall down, they they need to get a large group together and BOYCOTT the game, events, deals, etc....
  • Options
    Cpt_insano_2k1Cpt_insano_2k1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, if they don’t want to maintain it anymore, I think it makes sense to pull it down. I started playing the game shortly after the first convergence day and I followed outdated guides on the old forums that likely did more harm than good in the beginning, at least for me. It wouldn’t take too long before the BBB to become outdated either, and new players would be relying on outdated info.

Besides, they created it, and they made their own decision about what they thought was right to do with it. I think it’s only fair to respect that.

Well said.
    Slick wrote: »
    I can't say that I ever used "The big book" anyway. No loss to me personally. And I don't see how it's removal hurts the company. It only hurts those who depended on it. If people want to quit the game over this, then so be it. The leaderboards could use some fresh blood for a change.

The removal of the Big Book doesn’t hurt the company— but it shows a massive disengagement by some very active players.

I utilize the Big Book daily. It has been a big help for helping me choose who to freeze to make room for more crew.

Could I play the game without it? Sure. I played for months before I even knew it existed. But if these people are “out” on the game due to this one thing, I have to take that to mean this is a big, bad deal in their minds. For a small group who puts in significant personal time to evaluate crew — and then to share their expert opinions with ANYONE who wants it (they even do a weekly stream to share info— and are active on these forums)— to opt out of putting that time into it over this wall, then everyone should be paying attention.

They didn't say they were leaving, they said they would take it down until the wall was removed. Which I agree only harms the ones that use it. I rarely do, but I know a few who do use it and I just think it is sad that they are punishing those.

If they truly wanted to take that wall down, they they need to get a large group together and BOYCOTT the game, events, deals, etc....

It seems to me that the group is kind of forming as this is playing out. Many have already said they are on a spending strike of sorts, the next move would probably be a mass exodus.
  • Options
    Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will stop playing my main account depend on TPs response. I will continue on my VIP0 one but even then at a limited capacity as I only access that one when infront of a computer instead of on my mobile device.
  • Options
    Cpt_insano_2k1 put it better than I did (sorry— I’m not great with quoting multiple messages and removing non-pertinent ones): The “movement” happening is a result of people like the creators/keepers of the Big Book (and many active members of this forum) taking their stands.

They could have led a boycott, but then it could looked like big time players (who may qualify as whales?) only had a problem with it. Being more passive with their stand can allow all of us to make a point to show that players from whales to VP0 players have an issue with their personal info being sold.
  • Options
    [10F] gobolts07 [10F] gobolts07 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

That's not what Shan said. She said what she was allowed to say at this point. TP's legal team is reviewing this. You can't expect lawyers to have answers immediately, and the first thing a lawyer will tell you is to not say anything that will make matters worse until they've had time to finish reviewing everything themselves.

This is true. I emailed one of our company lawyers last week to ask a few questions, he answered me back and said I didn’t ask a question.

😒
  • Options
    They could at least put their lawyers and their marketing team in a room to come up with a statement that says absolutely nothing at all but makes us feel good about the situation. Companies and politicians have been doing that for years - that's gotta be damage control 101.

That’s what I’m thinking as well.

I hate the cancel culture and knee jerk protests that happen whenever someone gets a bug up their butt about something, but it’s been a few days, and I finally decided to personally slow playing down (and post about it) until we get something from TP commenting in the offer wall.

I work in customer service, and it’s excruciating waiting for answers from my teams to pass to customers, but you’d hope this reaction would have been considered (and responses would have been brainstormed) before it was launched.

Shan’s initial comment did help reduce some fears I had, but I went away for the weekend and am still reading comments this morning about this issue with no company statement (even the usual non-statement companies give), and it’s discouraging.
  • Options
    But, how much time should be allowed for the questions that DB/WRG/TP/WTWBCNW should have had solid answers to, before they jumped into bed with this company, just because the mattress was stuffed with money?!?!?

As long as it takes. The duration is simply a function of how little due diligence has been put in originally and how much is being put in now.

The longer it takes, the more it says about how DB/TP/WRG do things.

I'd rather they spend a fortnight and get it right, learn a few lessons that can benefit them (and by extension, us) ongoing rather than their legal side getting to make "O RLY" faces on a regular basis.

A combination of experience and the time it's taking suggests sales and product have the most influence on things, which is a bit like leaving toddlers in a room full of sweets. There will be a mess, there will be much screaming and there will be sat in the middle of it, looking gormless and playing with their toys and wondering what all the fuss is about, the ones who created it.

Not that I've been embittered with similar experience or anything.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it ironic I only learn of these other game tools when the people who made them are shutting them down. Oh well, stt.wiki works good for me.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    I find it ironic I only learn of these other game tools when the people who made them are shutting them down. Oh well, stt.wiki works good for me.

Live long and prosper wiki 🖖Peace and long life.
  • Options
    A week long / 2 day boycott would be more effecive i think.
  • Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing came to mind - they had such a nice mid-week event giving Dil to players. And the best part of it was that you had to play STT and not some other random game instead...

But that didn't make them any money. The wall is all about making money for TP and Ironsource, any dilithium that gets to the players is incidental.
This discussion has been closed.